PDA

View Full Version : Something to make a SOX fan smile .....

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I ran out to lunch this afternoon at a Taco Bell nearby. I walked in and was getting my food to go ............and while I was waiting, a woman was there with her 2 sons, both boys looked to be about 7 and 8. I had my SOX jacket on, and noticed the 2 kids just checking me out. After getting my order, I walked past the kids and I heard the one kid mutter shyly ............
GO WHITESOX. I laughed and turned around and Said GO SOX to them
and they smiled.

Young SOX fans are good

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I ran out to lunch this afternoon at a Taco Bell nearby. I walked in and was getting my food to go ............and while I was waiting, a woman was there with her 2 sons, both boys looked to be about 7 and 8. I had my SOX jacket on, and noticed the 2 kids just checking me out. After getting my order, I walked past the kids and I heard the one kid mutter shyly ............
GO WHITESOX. I laughed and turned around and Said GO SOX to them
and they smiled.

Young SOX fans are good

Nice, Hangar. Had the same kind of thing happen to me a month or so ago at a store out here. Kid was all decked out in his Sox gear, and I had my WS Locker Room T-shirt on. He was shy too, but I smiled and said something like "Wasn't last season the best?" and he said, "Yeah."

Dan Mega
03-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I tend to wear my Sox hat out alot. Had a little girl at Jewel (probably about 6) say "yay Sox!" in the line behind me. I asked her what her favorite player was...

...she said Dye cause he's "cute". :redface:

IlliniSox4Life
03-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I had a not quite similar experience at the bus stop yesterday. I had my Sox hat on backwards, and I was waiting for the bus. I happened to turn around for whatever reason, and there was this creepy guy probably between 20 and 25 with a camera pointed at me. I just stared at him, and he took a couple of pictures, and then said something along the lines of "go sox" and left. It was really odd.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
I had a not quite similar experience at the bus stop yesterday. I had my Sox hat on backwards, and I was waiting for the bus. I happened to turn around for whatever reason, and there was this creepy guy probably between 20 and 25 with a camera pointed at me. I just stared at him, and he took a couple of pictures, and then said something along the lines of "go sox" and left. It was really odd.

:?:

WSox8404
03-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Whats odd about that? I take pictures of Sox fans in public and walk away all the time.

itsnotrequired
03-09-2006, 07:24 PM
After getting my order, I walked past the kids and I heard the one kid mutter shyly ............
GO WHITESOX.
Now Hangar, why do you have to go and intimidate the yung'uns like that?:wink:

Cool story. The new generation is coming up. Does anyone think it is a coincidence that a good many posters on this board are in their early-mid 20s? There must have been some type of player that captured the imagination of impressionable grade schoolers about 15 years ago...:cool:

FarSouthSoxFan
03-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Cool story. The new generation is coming up. Does anyone think it is a coincidence that a good many posters on this board are in their early-mid 20s? There must have been some type of player that captured the imagination of impressionable grade schoolers about 15 years ago...:cool:

There were three of them. :tongue:

starboy0
03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Arrived at a local watering hole with a buddy thinking they were open. Discovered they weren't supposed to open for another hour. I was in my Sox jersey and a kid, inside the place, saw me. He shouted to his mom (a bartender there) "Sox fans are outside! We've got to let them in!"

Mom came and let us in and served us up. Junior showed me a picture of his room with his Sox bedspread. He was proud as could be.

Unregistered
03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Does anyone think it is a coincidence that a good many posters on this board are in their early-mid 20s? There must have been some type of player that captured the imagination of impressionable grade schoolers about 15 years ago...:cool:I was 12 years old and standing at the corner of Clark and Belmont with my mother when Frank Thomas walked by. I shouted "go Cubs," dressed in Cubbie blue when Frank turned around and picked me up by taffeta Cubs jacket. "I oughta slap your fat face," the Big Hurt muttered as I peed my pants in front of horrified onlookers.

Been scared straight ever since. Thanks, big guy! :thumbsup:

VASoxfan1
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM

as someone who is 22, the reason there are decent amount of us around is the good guys where black campaign of the mid 90s. I didn't even grow up in the city (my mom is the south sider) i was enthralled by those teams.....especially the 93 and 94 ones. After the strike which killed me as a kid, i took my time away from baseball until (no not that steroid fueld rage of 98) but the 2000 sox brought me back.

hsnterprize
03-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Here's a couple of items that will make your silver-and-black-loving-selves a little giddy. My 3-year-old son is already in the Cub bashing thanks to his "ol' man". He's with his grampa (father-in-law), who's a Cubs fan one day, when all of a sudden (thanks to me teaching him to love the Sox), he decides to say, "Cubs...blech!!!!!" over and over again. After I heard that story, I couldn't help but smile and say, "That's my boy!!!!!" And his 2-year-old brother is already cheering, "Go White Sox!!!!!" when prompted.

Also, I was walking on Michigan Avenue one day, and I decided to go into the Tribune Tower store to look around. That store has a lot of Cubs-related merchandise (for obvious reasons) with a few trinkets of White Sox items, such as the "Believe It" world series book, the "Say It's So, Joe" book, and a few other White Sox things. But I'd say the ratio between Cubs and White Sox stuff in that place is about 10 to 1. Anyway, I'm looking around, and the clerk behind the counter asks me if I'm looking for anything in particular. I tell him no, and then start to engage him in a conversation about the Cubs apparel. We talk about what's selling at the time (there was a pink Cubs jersey that's popular with female fans, but he says that more of a "trendy" item).

I then make the summation he's a Cubs fan when I say, "There's a lot of Cubs stuff here since the Cubs are owned by the Tribune Company.", to which he nods his head in agreement. We also talk about how the Cubs have played, and then I point out my Sox love. He says something to the effect that, and I'm paraphrasing here...once the first pitch of the first game happens, the World Series win was "last year". I told him...yeah, and Super Bowl XX was 20 years ago, and people act like the Bears won the Super Bowl yesterday. "If you're implying we Sox fans should 'get over it', then I think Cubs fans need to get over the 'curses', 'goats', 'Bartmans', and other items of popular Cubs folklore." Then I said, "What do you think when someone mentions, '2003'?"

I wasn't looking for a fight, but I was prepared. This clerk wasn't being mean, smug, or arrogant. But, when he showed his "Cubs colors", I was ready with the love for the silver and black. And I'm glad 2 out of my 3 small boys are following in my footsteps. The 3rd boy, a 1-year-old, will soon follow.

Soxfanspcu11
03-09-2006, 09:12 PM
as someone who is 22, the reason there are decent amount of us around is the good guys where black campaign of the mid 90s. I didn't even grow up in the city (my mom is the south sider) i was enthralled by those teams.....especially the 93 and 94 ones. After the strike which killed me as a kid, i took my time away from baseball until (no not that steroid fueld rage of 98) but the 2000 sox brought me back.

I'm 22 as well and fell in love with the Sox in '90 when I was 7, but it was the "Good Guys Wear Black" and the team of 93-94 that cemented it. That's a great observation!

TornLabrum
03-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Here's a couple of items that will make your silver-and-black-loving-selves a little giddy. My 3-year-old son is already in the Cub bashing thanks to his "ol' man". He's with his grampa (father-in-law), who's a Cubs fan one day, when all of a sudden (thanks to me teaching him to love the Sox), he decides to say, "Cubs...blech!!!!!" over and over again. After I heard that story, I couldn't help but smile and say, "That's my boy!!!!!" And his 2-year-old brother is already cheering, "Go White Sox!!!!!" when prompted.

Also, I was walking on Michigan Avenue one day, and I decided to go into the Tribune Tower store to look around. That store has a lot of Cubs-related merchandise (for obvious reasons) with a few trinkets of White Sox items, such as the "Believe It" world series book, the "Say It's So, Joe" book, and a few other White Sox things. But I'd say the ratio between Cubs and White Sox stuff in that place is about 10 to 1. Anyway, I'm looking around, and the clerk behind the counter asks me if I'm looking for anything in particular. I tell him no, and then start to engage him in a conversation about the Cubs apparel. We talk about what's selling at the time (there was a pink Cubs jersey that's popular with female fans, but he says that more of a "trendy" item).

I then make the summation he's a Cubs fan when I say, "There's a lot of Cubs stuff here since the Cubs are owned by the Tribune Company.", to which he nods his head in agreement. We also talk about how the Cubs have played, and then I point out my Sox love. He says something to the effect that, and I'm paraphrasing here...once the first pitch of the first game happens, the World Series win was "last year". I told him...yeah, and Super Bowl XX was 20 years ago, and people act like the Bears won the Super Bowl yesterday. "If you're implying we Sox fans should 'get over it', then I think Cubs fans need to get over the 'curses', 'goats', 'Bartmans', and other items of popular Cubs folklore." Then I said, "What do you think when someone mentions, '2003'?"

I wasn't looking for a fight, but I was prepared. This clerk wasn't being mean, smug, or arrogant. But, when he showed his "Cubs colors", I was ready with the love for the silver and black. And I'm glad 2 out of my 3 small boys are following in my footsteps. The 3rd boy, a 1-year-old, will soon follow.

I hope that in another 20 years or so, your kids will be as avid Sox fans as you are. That's one of the cool things about their growing up. Jeff will be 27 in July. One of our mutual pleasures is to go to a ballgame together, sit around for a few hours, shoot the breeze, and just plain enjoy each other's company.

Jeff went through a bit of a rough period when he was in high school. Computers were more important to him than, say, grades. You know the things that his dad the teacher thought were important. But we still had baseball and those summers at the ballpark to keep us from killing each other in a fit of testosterone-induced rage.

Now that he's been out of the house a few years, he's told me that he always looked forward to going to the games, and that he still does. Unfortunately his schedule doesn't allow for too much of that. I've had to give up buying him a ticket package because of that.

I still get a huge kick out of the fact that he remembers the first-row homer that Dave Gallagher hit at one of the first few games he ever went to, when he was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember how he used to say his favorite player was Ron Kittle. I remember a lot of things. Cherish them, and you'll have great times when the kids are grown.

South Side Irish
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Grinder Rule #99 is true. Kids make ballgames, baseball, and just being a fan infinitely more fun. I enjoy it everyday!

pearso66
03-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Frank Thomas is the reason I became a White Sox fan. I am 24, and also remember the Good Guys Wear Black thing. I think that was the best slogan ever, and I still use it to this day.

voodoochile
03-09-2006, 09:31 PM
You know I was expecting something completely different when I opened this thread...

"I ran out to lunch this afternoon at a Taco Bell nearby. I walked in and was getting my food to go ............and while I was waiting, a woman was there with her 2 sons, both boys looked to be about 7 and 8. I had my SOX jacket on, and noticed the 2 kids just checking me out. After getting my order, I walked past the kids and I heard the one kid mutter shyly ............
GO Flubs. I laughed and turned around and just absolutely laid into the two stupid little brats. I mean who in their right mind can cheer for those losers? Then I let mom have it for raising a couple of lemmings who obviously care more about beer and bikinis than they do about winning baseball and then I smiled.

Young flubs fans suck... :wink:

Actually, I liked your story, Hangar, I'm just messing with you...

twentywontowin
03-09-2006, 09:33 PM
My White Sox love started when I was around 3, and my dad took me to the old park. I remember he took me past Nancy playing the organ, and that's when I was sold for life.

My Blackhawks love goes much deeper though, if that's even possible.

ChiSoxGirl
03-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Students at my school get to dress down on their birthday, so one of my 8th grade boys came into class today with the Nike World Series Champions long sleeve tee and the authentic dugout jacket in hand. I complimented his shirt and jacket, and asked if he'd always been a Sox fan or if he was just one of those bandwagon jumpers. He told me he's always been a Sox fan and asked one of his friends to back him up on that. On his way out of class today, he complimented my dugout jacket with the WS 05 patch on the left sleeve, hanging on my chair.

I remember him chatting me up in September & October about the Sox and their chances against Boston in particular, but then again, those conversations were a little fuzzy, considering the small amount of sleep I was running on during that time. :redface: Working in the northwest suburbs, I always smile when I see one of my students wearing Sox/WS 05 gear. :smile:

soxfan43
03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm 24 as well, and Big Frank, Ozzie and Robin Ventura got me hooked as a Sox fan in the early 90s. I always remembered what a great time Ozzie seemed to be having every game and how Robin was such a solid classy player. Growing up in the north burbs was tough as a Sox fan, but I always got have some great baseball arguements growing up. In college my roomates in 2003 where all from Cleveland and ended up hating the cubs more than me after seeing how cub "fans" acted and popped up everywhere. Those sucessful early 90s teams certaintly brought aboard a ton of fans, I can only imagine what this year will do for the future fan base.

soccermomsox
03-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Grinder Rule #99 is true. Kids make ballgames, baseball, and just being a fan infinitely more fun. I enjoy it everyday!

I couldn't agree more. I've always been a fan, but passing that on to my kids has been the best experience. I've probably learned more about baseball since my son became interested than ever before.

A story for the thread...I was in the mall with my 4 year old daughter and we passed by a man decked out in flubs gear and she yelled across the place "CUBS STINK!!" The idiot actually flipped her off before walking away. So typical. But what a proud day for mom!! :D:

This is the same little girl, by the way, who was inconsolable at Soxfest because she was unable to go and see Paulie. We had tickets for the private signing with Jon Garland and it just wasn't enough. She said she didn't want to go if it wasn't Paulie! Maybe next year! At this point, any time the paper has a pic of him, she's cutting it out and pasting it a scrapbook. Her favorite this year is the pic of him and his baby. I love it!!

tick53
03-10-2006, 11:33 AM
The organization has made going to a Sox game a hoot for kids. Big Rein has
cultivated a whole new crop of future Sox Die Hards.:smile:

VenturaSoxFan23
03-10-2006, 11:47 AM
My kids are getting old enough to know who we root for. My daughter, who is 7, likes the Sox "because Daddy likes them". "Go Sox, Cubs stink!" is something she came up with all by herself. Her first Sox game was when she was 2, and she loved the fireworks. The big booms scared her (C Charles Johnson hit a HR), but she saw it was for a good reason and clapped along.

My 5 year old son liked the Cubs for a while, "just because they wear blue" and he likes to be different. Now, he will play MLB 2K5 with me, only if he can be Joe Crede in the HR Derby. (That's my mom's influence. She liked when Hawk tried calling him "JoJo" Crede, because that's what we call our son. I guess she enlightened him on that and he's been a Joe fan ever since.)
This may be the year he's ready to go to his first game. I was his age when I went to my first. He'd go nuts.

Chicago
03-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Another moment... morning of 10/26/05

I was at grandstand waiting for them to open. There were a few other guys out there too. A teacher with a group of her students, i'd say around 6-7 years old... were across the street waiting to cross coming towards grandstand. As soon as they hit the corner, they all started chanting
GO WHITE SOX... GO WHITE SOX... as they walked pass, it was great... I still have the little video clip saved to my phone.

palehozenychicty
03-10-2006, 01:45 PM
I grew up in south bend, and first got into the sox from the old wfld station. Had my first Sox game in 1988, at Old Comiskey, against the Tiggers. The team had fallen on hard times, but I had seats in the lower deck behind home plate, and it was so tight (good). A truly surreal experience. I even got a ball signed by Ozzie, amongst others. Then I went to a couple games every year after that until '97, after white flag. I came back in 2000 when Big Mac and the Cards came to the Cell. After that year, I moved out east and haven't been to a home game since. This year that'll change. "Good Guys Wear Black" is my favorite campaign to this day, and got me hooked on the Sox for good.

MySoxAreClean
03-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Took my 4 year to Disney in ANAHEIM, Wore my Road grey jersery with the WS patch Thru out the park, Took a few shots from the Angel fans in Line, Looked back and said no matter the outcome WE WON IT ALL S.O.B's