PDA

View Full Version : Bring Rooney BACK!

Johnny74
03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I know I should give him a chance but Singleton is horrible! The chemestry between Rooney and Farmer was great. Rooney was there to keep Farmer in check. Now we have Singleton going on and on and on..... It is so dull! :angry:

I'm no fan of the Hawk and DJ so I always mute the TV and listen to the radio while I watch the games. Now with Rooney gone, it's going to be horrible. :(:

Sigh.....

sullythered
03-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Give the guy a chance. It's spring training for him, too. It's his first job, and he's replacing a 20+ year veteran. John Rooney was excellent, and I would love to still have him, but I'm not gonna dismiss Singleton's pottential after only a few games.

oeo
03-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I know I should give him a chance but Singleton is horrible! The chemestry between Rooney and Farmer was great. Rooney was there to keep Farmer in check. Now we have Singleton going on and on and on..... It is so dull! :angry:

I'm no fan of the Hawk and DJ so I always mute the TV and listen to the radio while I watch the games. Now with Rooney gone, it's going to be horrible. :(:

Sigh.....

Rooney isn't coming back, so deal with it and don't complain about it. That's our broadcasting team, live with it.

Johnny74
03-09-2006, 04:39 PM
You're right, but it doesn't make it easier. Now we have two ex-players in the booth who are always trying to one-up each other. UGH.

I guess I'll just have to go to more games.

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I gotta agree with the thread starter--at least so far. The one and only game I've seen on TV was the one last Saturday on WGN. Hawk interviewed Singleton, and I almost fell asleep. I just kept thinking, "Will you guys SHUT UP!?!" and I even muted the sound a few times.

However, I also agree we need to give him a chance. He HAS to get better.

0o0o0
03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
i'm willing to give singleton a chance because, well, i have no choice. but i'll listen to a game from last season every once in a while when i'm going to bed and man, those 2 were something!

WhiteSoxFan84
03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Singleton is actually not that bad. He's very smart and knows a lot about the game, I'm surprised he's not part of a coaching staff. I usually don't like new broadcasters off the bat and then they grow on me, but this guy is already on my good side.

IronFisk
03-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey, what happened to "Sox n' Roll"? At the very least they were entertaining.

South Side Irish
03-09-2006, 05:11 PM
The Cardinals finally got their guy to replace Jack Buck, and as bad as I'd love to see him do Sox games again, the Redbirds are NOT giving him up. Bummer he's gone, but at least he's with my other favorite team now!

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Rooneys not coming back, the Cardinals will NOT make the same mistake the SOX did. Do you think the Cards wouldve let Jack Buck go if he were still alive? no way. This was one of the more major pr Gaffes the SOX have made in a while, but luckily its muted by the fact we just won a World Series. You dont let Hall Of Fame broadcasters just leave. Is Vin Scully still with the Dodgers? Was Harwell let go too soon? NO. You dont let Hall Of Fame broadcasters just walk away ........... soon enough it will come back to bite the SOX. For now, lets win another WS

South Side Irish
03-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Well said, hangar.:cool:

The Critic
03-09-2006, 05:28 PM
The Cardinals finally got their guy to replace Jack Buck, and as bad as I'd love to see him do Sox games again, the Redbirds are NOT giving him up. Bummer he's gone, but at least he's with my other favorite team now!
Agree 100%.
I'm hoping I can pick up the Cardinals' new radio station once in a while.
I'll have to find out what it is first....:redneck

South Side Irish
03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Agree 100%.
I'm hoping I can pick up the Cardinals' new radio station once in a while.
I'll have to find out what it is first....:redneck

Good luck, bro... 590 doesn't make it across the River, let alone up here. Literally. :angry:

FoulTerritory
03-09-2006, 06:01 PM

Sigh.....

I agree with you. They are not a good tandem. Yeah, Singleton is new to it, and we should give him a chance, but its not just Singleton. While Singleton is indeed rough, Farmer is not a play by play guy either. The combination is not good at all.

Further, I disagree with those asserting that there is some problem with complaining about it. Thats part of what a message board is for. And frankly, I feel that reading that others are dissatified with the radio booth scenario at least provides an outlet for mutual empathy.

TheOldRoman
03-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Rooneys not coming back, the Cardinals will NOT make the same mistake the SOX did. Do you think the Cards wouldve let Jack Buck go if he were still alive? no way. This was one of the more major pr Gaffes the SOX have made in a while, but luckily its muted by the fact we just won a World Series. You dont let Hall Of Fame broadcasters just leave. Is Vin Scully still with the Dodgers? Was Harwell let go too soon? NO. You dont let Hall Of Fame broadcasters just walk away ........... soon enough it will come back to bite the SOX. For now, lets win another WS You are really something else. Rooney had no intention of resigning here. He wanted to go the the Cardinals, his hometown team. If you put the pieces together, you would see that Rooney worked out a deal with the Cards to take their radio job after they fired Hagin. He lead the Sox and the Sox fans on because he couldn't come right out and say "I'm leaving as soon as this guy is fired". So he said crap about respect and them not being close on the money. It wasn't about the money.
But hey, any way you can rip on the Sox, tell us why they are a horrible, cheap, second rate organization is fine with me. Just don't come up with any more bull**** conspiracies and whine when the media ignores or slights the Sox. If a Sox fan like you acts like the Sox are the worst run team in professional sports, why should the media respect us?

CLR01
03-09-2006, 06:16 PM
What a POS thread. Get over it people.

:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

CLR01
03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Good luck, bro... 590 doesn't make it across the River, let alone up here. Literally. :angry:

Well true you may want to tune into 550 instead of 590 to hear a Cards game.

SoxFan76
03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Quit trying to compare Singleton to Rooney. It's not fair.

And I don't think he's been that bad. I like him better than DJ, and last time I listened to the radio they were starting to develop a little bit of chemistry.

ChiSoxNationPres
03-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Sigh.....

I quite agree. I was one of the biggest fans of Rooney, he was my favorite announcer, but at least Farmer stayed.

D. TODD
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Rooney is a pipe dream, but bring anybody in to replace Farmio! I have no clue about Singleton yet. We will see how he develops. Tough to sound good working with Farmer talking that much though.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
You're right, but it doesn't make it easier. Now we have two ex-players in the booth who are always trying to one-up each other. UGH.

I guess I'll just have to go to more games.

I feel you. Hopefully they respond to feedback from whoever will give it to them.

soxwon
03-09-2006, 06:54 PM
i have xm, and was listening to rooney do the cards.
it was odd, but he is so relaxed.

Beer Can Chicken
03-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Fear not! MLB Gameday Audio, gives you access to every game. You can choose between the home team announcers or the away team's. I cant wait to listen to the Sox/Cards, Rooney is awesome.
I had to buy it because I work downtown and AM radio is non-existant. For the last couple of years I find myself listeing to other day games when they are on. Its only 14.95 too.

Qdiddy
03-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Sorry, guys not to beat a dead horse, but Singleton STINKS! I'm not comparing him to Rooney or anyone else. I understand it's his first job and all that other stuff, but hiring him was a big mistake. He can't answer a simple question without taking forever and never getting to his point. Plus, whoever thought putting him with Farmer should be fired! Does anyone else think his story are funny besides him?

Anyways, can anyone find out if Wayne Larrivee does baseball games? He seem like he's broadcasting every game on TV now. I miss him doing Bear games. Can you imagine him broadcasting the Sox? One can only dream.....

Anyone else with me on this?

GO SOX! Farmer & Singleton=Garbage, but whocares we're the Champs!

Lip Man 1
03-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Roman:

Just what I've heard, hear and there, take it for what it's worth....Rooney was low balled by WSCR radio. Part of the reason is because they are paying Mike North so much it's blowing their budget for everyone else.

Lip

The Critic
03-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Ahhh crap! :whiner:
Thanks for the info, SSI!

delben91
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Roman:

Just what I've heard, hear and there, take it for what it's worth....Rooney was low balled by WSCR radio. Part of the reason is because they are paying Mike North so much it's blowing their budget for everyone else.

Lip

If it was the Score that low-balled Rooney, how does that support Hangar's theory that the "Sox let him walk" ? Wouldn't that mean the Score let him walk? Or am I missing something here?

CLR01
03-09-2006, 09:24 PM
If it was the Score that low-balled Rooney, how does that support Hangar's theory that the "Sox let him walk" ? Wouldn't that mean the Score let him walk? Or am I missing something here?

It's a Hangar therory, can any of them be explained?

TornLabrum
03-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Quit trying to compare Singleton to Rooney. It's not fair.

And I don't think he's been that bad. I like him better than DJ, and last time I listened to the radio they were starting to develop a little bit of chemistry.

You're right. Singleton should not be compared to Rooney. Farmer took Rooney's job. And as a PBP guy, Farmer puts me to sleep.

South Side Irish
03-09-2006, 10:20 PM

I could have sworn the announcers were employees of the team. Should we ask Steve Stone?

South Side Irish
03-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Well true you may want to tune into 550 instead of 590 to hear a Cards game.

Are you a Cards fan? Or did you just fact check to see if you can make me look bad? :whiner: I can still claim ignorance since a regular season game has yet to air on KTRS.

I still don't know how I feel about dumping $$$ on radio. My computer sucks, so I can't listen online. As bad as XM is doing, I'm hoping the price of the in-car reciever/unit (whatever they're called) will drop low enough so my cheap ass can buy it.

CLR01
03-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Are you a Cards fan? Or did you just fact check to see if you can make me look bad? :whiner: I can still claim ignorance since a regular season game has yet to air on KTRS.

That would be a big no. I actually use KTRS's online feed to listen to coast to coast on occasion.

Brian26
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
You are really something else. Rooney had no intention of resigning here. He wanted to go the the Cardinals, his hometown team.

I disagree with this. If the appropriate amount of money was offered, he would have re-signed here.

Furthermore, there was an opportunity to correct the situation last September and October after the initial announcement that he was leaving, but the Sox and WSCR didn't open up their wallets. It's way too late to even be discussing this though. Water under the bridge now...

Parrothead
03-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Singleton makes me want to put hot irons in my ears. The only good thing about him right now is that he has to get better because he can't get any worse.

SoxFan76
03-10-2006, 12:02 AM
You're right. Singleton should not be compared to Rooney. Farmer took Rooney's job. And as a PBP guy, Farmer puts me to sleep.

I was never a big fan of Farmer until I heard some of his interviews with Dahl on the radio. He's quite the character. I've been a fan ever since.

TheOldRoman
03-10-2006, 12:07 AM
I disagree with this. If the appropriate amount of money was offered, he would have re-signed here.

Furthermore, there was an opportunity to correct the situation last September and October after the initial announcement that he was leaving, but the Sox and WSCR didn't open up their wallets. It's way too late to even be discussing this though. Water under the bridge now...
From what I heard, it wasn't the money. WSCR's inital offer was for more than he made at AM1000. He raised his asking price a couple of times, making it clear that there was no way it would get done. Besides that, Reinsdorf liked Rooney. If he thought a couple hundred thousand dollars would be the difference in Rooney staying, he would have thrown it in himself, Im sure. Money wasn't the issue. Rooney found out the Cards would have an opening, so he didn't take the Sox job. However, it is water under the bridge.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-10-2006, 02:57 AM
There is no replacement for Rooney, certainly not Ed Farmer. But, I've been listening to the XM broadcasts of the World Baseball Classic and I've discovered that WSCR could have done much worse than Chris Singleton for color commentary. Obviously Steve Lyons isn't much of a color commentator but Mike Schmidt is lots of dead air with the occasional "uh-huh" or yeah that's right." At least Singleton is smart and can come up with things to say.

Steelrod
03-10-2006, 04:54 AM
There is no replacement for Rooney, certainly not Ed Farmer. But, I've been listening to the XM broadcasts of the World Baseball Classic and I've discovered that WSCR could have done much worse than Chris Singleton for color commentary. Obviously Steve Lyons isn't much of a color commentator but Mike Schmidt is lots of dead air with the occasional "uh-huh" or yeah that's right." At least Singleton is smart and can come up with things to say.
Also heard Wimpy on XM. Would that not have been an upgrade, considering that he was available?

BeviBall!
03-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Sigh.....

There's always the theater!

Rooney4Prez56
03-10-2006, 12:08 PM

Look, I hate losing Rooney as much as anybody. Rooney was the best announcer I ever heard. However, we're stuck with Singleton and I'll give him some time before I bash him.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
The first commercial isn't going to make it any better for those of you who long for John's return.

TornLabrum
03-11-2006, 08:18 AM
I was never a big fan of Farmer until I heard some of his interviews with Dahl on the radio. He's quite the character. I've been a fan ever since.

I agree. I've always found him to be a colorful and always interesting guy. When he's chatting or doing color on the games. The monotone PBP is what puts me to sleep. Compared to Farmer, the late Curt Gowdy was Jack Brickhouse.

soxinem1
03-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Rooneys not coming back, the Cardinals will NOT make the same mistake the SOX did. Do you think the Cards wouldve let Jack Buck go if he were still alive? no way. This was one of the more major pr Gaffes the SOX have made in a while, but luckily its muted by the fact we just won a World Series. You dont let Hall Of Fame broadcasters just leave. Is Vin Scully still with the Dodgers? Was Harwell let go too soon? NO. You dont let Hall Of Fame broadcasters just walk away ........... soon enough it will come back to bite the SOX. For now, lets win another WS

Actually, Ernie Harwell was let go by the Tigers. He was off for one year and the fans threw such a fit he was brought back.

On the other stuff, I agree 100%. Funny how Reinsdorf found time to bring resolution to Scott Skiles on the Buls last year, but couldn't push for Rooney who was around for nearly two decades.

thomas35forever
03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
I hate losing Rooney just as much as anybody. He might be the best play-by-play announcer any team could have. However, crying about it isn't going to bring him back. It could be worse. We could be stuck with "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" :santo