PDA

View Full Version : Can Sweeny make this team?

sullythered
03-09-2006, 04:25 PM
I understand that it would be a long shot because of his age, but as of this moment Ryan Sweeny has gone 7 for 14 this spring with 3 home runs. That is pretty darn impressive. I know Gload, Borchard, and even Owens are more likely, but I'm just wondering if you guys think it's possible. He looks like the real deal.

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I understand that it would be a long shot because of his age, but as of this moment Ryan Sweeny has gone 7 for 14 this spring with 3 home runs. That is pretty darn impressive. I know Gload, Borchard, and even Owens are more likely, but I'm just wondering if you guys think it's possible. He looks like the real deal.

hes on the Fast track no doubt, but not this year. I have a feeling we may see him next Year here ..........

Unregistered
03-09-2006, 04:28 PM
I understand that it would be a long shot because of his age, but as of this moment Ryan Sweeny has gone 7 for 14 this spring with 3 home runs. That is pretty darn impressive. I know Gload, Borchard, and even Owens are more likely, but I'm just wondering if you guys think it's possible. He looks like the real deal.Sweeney just hit a monster shot to right that cleared the bullpen and landed right in some guys glove. He's looking real impressive and at very least is having a great spring.

sullythered
03-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Sweeney just hit a monster shot to right that cleared the bullpen and landed right in some guys glove. He's looking real impressive and at very least is having a great spring.

That's actually what inspired me to start the thread. From what I've seen of this kid, he looks pretty comfortable at the plate.

Ol' No. 2
03-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I understand that it would be a long shot because of his age, but as of this moment Ryan Sweeny has gone 7 for 14 this spring with 3 home runs. That is pretty darn impressive. I know Gload, Borchard, and even Owens are more likely, but I'm just wondering if you guys think it's possible. He looks like the real deal.Unless someone gets hurt or Anderson absolutely stinks it up...no.

palehozenychicty
03-09-2006, 04:32 PM
In the words of Joaquin Andujar, you never know.

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 04:32 PM
He's got 5 more hits than Borchard this spring.

California Sox
03-09-2006, 04:50 PM
There's a thread about this on the Minors board.

I say, give the kid at least half a season in Charlotte. And remember, he's a RF, not an alternative to Anderson.

rdivaldi
03-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I think that most of us that have followed Ryan since he was drafted have known that he was the real deal. The question has just been, when do you give him a shot at the big league level? Considering how young he is, there'd be nothing wrong with giving him another half-season in the minors. But man is he making it a tough decision for KW this spring.

MERPER
03-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Ryan will not make the team this season... after a down year last year, he needs to get seasoned in the minors... but I think he will replace Dye in RF next season....

Everyone in the organization thinks very highly of him... after all, he is the 1 left from trading Young and Reed so obviously KW thinks highly of him

2 years ago, I remember some in the organization saying he is the most natural hitter they've seen in a long time.... looks like it...

Hitmen77
03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I hope he doesn't make the team (barring unforseen injury or unexpected downturn of a current starter) - and that's not a knock against him. Our team looks so solid, I don't know if I want Sweeney just sitting on the bench and not getting ABs.

I'd rather have him continue his progression in the minors and when he's ready we can either trade a starter for some talent (like we did with Rowand) or let a higher salary guy leave via FA to make room for Sweeny.

maurice
03-09-2006, 05:41 PM
No, he can't.

batmanZoSo
03-09-2006, 05:45 PM
No, he can't.

Well...

So long as we've looked at it from all angles. :wink:

kevin57
03-09-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd love to see him this year, but I wouldn't bet the Cell on it.

I've got to tip my hat to the genius of Kenny Williams. Look at the off-season acquisitions and top-flight minor leaguers making a big splash. Not only are they going to keep the heat on the entire infield and outfield to produce, but if anyone stinks up the joint, they will be called up or put into the regular rotation.

I'm still a little concerned about having a healthy Hermanson, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

TaylorStSox
03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
They're not going to waste on option to put him on the bench. He needs more seasoning. I'd like to see him repeat AA. Let's see if his power starts to go up a bit. When he does come up, he's going to be starting everyday. Hence, there's no way in hell.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-09-2006, 07:22 PM

Bringing up Sweeney right now would ruin a very good prospect. It's pretty much the absolute worst thing they could do. He's been fasttracked since we got him. It screwed him up last season.

He's got enough talent to be fasttracked (and he is our #1 propsect not making the majors out of camp), but not to that degree.

KRS1
03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm surprised I'm the only one who's going to say this, but it would be impossible for this guy to make the Sox because there's not even a Ryan Sweeny in our system.

The same also applies to Sean Tracy. :)

California Sox
03-09-2006, 09:14 PM
They're not going to waste on option to put him on the bench. He needs more seasoning. I'd like to see him repeat AA. Let's see if his power starts to go up a bit. When he does come up, he's going to be starting everyday. Hence, there's no way in hell.

I don't think he should repeat Birmingham. That's a tough place for lefties to hit with power. Let him play at Charlotte which will reward him if he adds the long ball to his arsenal. If necessary he can repeat AAA. Also, Birmingham's lineup is going to be weak. He'll be surrounded by much better hitters in Charlotte.

doublem23
03-09-2006, 09:14 PM
How much longer is Jermaine signed for? I think we're looking at the heir to right field for the Sox.

KRS1
03-09-2006, 09:15 PM
How much longer is Jermaine signed for? I think we're looking at the heir to right field for the Sox.

He has a 6mil, option for 07'.

itsnotrequired
03-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Just saw the Sweeny HR on tonight's replay. Man, that was a pretty swing!

Banix12
03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't think he should repeat Birmingham. That's a tough place for lefties to hit with power. Let him play at Charlotte which will reward him if he adds the long ball to his arsenal. If necessary he can repeat AAA. Also, Birmingham's lineup is going to be weak. He'll be surrounded by much better hitters in Charlotte.

I don't know, the way I see it is if he can hit for power in Birmingham he could hit for power just about anywhere.

Wherever he ends up I hope for the best

chisox77
03-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Mike Sweeney can make this team.

Huisj
03-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I think KW might go trade Arnie Munoz and Joe Borchard for him just for some insurance in case Thome or Konerko get hurt, because you can never have too much depth.

Seriously though, if Sweeney wasn't on the Royals, KC would never beat the Sox.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-10-2006, 07:04 AM

As could Mark Sweeney.

rdivaldi
03-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Bringing up Sweeney right now would ruin a very good prospect. It's pretty much the absolute worst thing they could do. He's been fasttracked since we got him. It screwed him up last season.

???

How did it "screw him up" last season? The kid played well at AA and an injury hobbled him for most of the year. Ryan should start the season in AAA and get a call-up at some point of the season. The kid is dynamite.