PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the cub threads

gbergman
03-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I for one say there are way to many, and it needs to be controlled. We are supposed to be White Sox fans here and worry about the White Sox not what the people from the northside are doing. We play them 6 times a year thats 3.7% of our games and thats all they affect us. It gets pretty old were everyday someone has to spout off in a brand new thread about how the cubs suck, or cub fans are morons. We know that already why do you need to continually reiterate that. Its like if you were locked in a room and the only thing playing was Cubs Suck over the speaker. Eventually, you would come believe it and know it to be true. I say stop posting about the cubs and there fans unless its important (moving out of town, trade, kerry wood becomes healthy for first time since 98) and put more into either White Sox or other teams.

gbergman

NSSoxFan
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I for one say there are way to many, and it needs to be controlled. We are supposed to be White Sox fans here and worry about the White Sox not what the people from the northside are doing. We play them 6 times a year thats 3.7% of our games and thats all they affect us. It gets pretty old were everyday someone has to spout off in a brand new thread about how the cubs suck, or cub fans are morons. We know that already why do you need to continually reiterate that. Its like if you were locked in a room and the only thing playing was Cubs Suck over the speaker. Eventually, you would come believe it and know it to be true. I say stop posting about the cubs and there fans unless its important (moving out of town, trade, kerry wood becomes healthy for first time since 98) and put more into either White Sox or other teams.

gbergman

Trust me, we've been trying for years.

Nellie_Fox
03-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Give up. Don't open the threads. Sox fans are always going to do this, and you are not going to stop them. It's a two-team town, and the Sox compete head-to-head for the entertainment dollar.

Baby Fisk
03-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Meh, the Cubs organization, owners, fans and players are only good for making fun of, sort of like [DELETED]s, [DELETED]s, and especially [DELETED]s! :D:

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Always makes me smile. :smile:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/home.htm

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Give up. Don't open the threads. Sox fans are always going to do this, and you are not going to stop them. It's a two-team town, and the Sox compete head-to-head for the entertainment dollar.

well said. SOX fans are also in the very unique position of holding one over on them. Theyve become the brunt of our jokes, are dumber, cheer for the worst team ever, and are easy to manipulate. Why would we stop making fun of them? If you couldve seen the look on the hundred or so flub fans around kittle42 and I, when I made fun of the Trixie and her new hat, I basically got her to accidentally say "cubs suck cubs suck". It was PRICELESS ................to see her realize her gaffe, to see the dozens of sheep nearby realize the gaffe, and it was drop-a-pin-quiet. I love being a SOX fan. the most popular Sox ad campaign very recently was the Us vs. Them.

eastchicagosoxfan
03-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I agree. It's a two team town, like it not. I started a thread today involving the Cubs because I thought some people would find a documentary about 1973 baseball interesting. The Cubs quit on Duroucher that year. It showed in their play. The film had game audio with the players, as well as Jack Brickhouse. There were shots of Wrigley Field with the upper deck closed. It was an interesting, and entertaining one hour film. And for a ten year stretch or so, Ferguson Jenkins was a Hell of a pitcher.

soxfan26
03-09-2006, 04:24 PM
I for one say there are way to many, and it needs to be controlled.

I agree and I hereby appoint you, gbergman, as the guardian of flubsession.

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 04:25 PM
I won't stop dissing the Cubs until the day they pry the mouse from my cold, dead fingers. :D:

daveeym
03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Give up. Don't open the threads. Sox fans are always going to do this, and you are not going to stop them. It's a two-team town, and the Sox compete head-to-head for the entertainment dollar.I second this. Don't open the damn threads then. The rabid anti-anti-cubs posts are more annoying than the anti-cubs posts.

Hitmen77
03-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Does this count as a Cubs thread? :tongue:

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Does this count as a Cubs thread? :tongue:

Thats the Ironic part dont you think? There are more stop-talking-cub threads than otherwise, heh heh

SOecks
03-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I like the cub threads. They're fun and entertaining to me and don't take away from my love for the Sox at all. If you don't like them, then don't open them or stay away from What's the Score.

TomBradley72
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe we need a Cubs specific "clubhouse"....so all of those who hate Cub related threads so much can avoid seeing the hated "flubsessed" threads.

RichFitztightly
03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I like the cub threads. They're fun and entertaining to me and don't take away from my love for the Sox at all. If you don't like them, then don't open them or stay away from What's the Score.

I agree. Cub threads are a good opportunity to test out one-liners. I for one like them for comedy's sake.

MUsoxfan
03-09-2006, 06:02 PM

They perpetuate stereotypes about Sox fans

CLR01
03-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Maybe we need a Cubs specific "clubhouse"....so all of those who hate Cub related threads so much can avoid seeing the hated "flubsessed" threads.

Why do you think we created this ****house under baseball discussions? We hoped it would help these threads die, silly us.

:cheers: to caring as much about the Cubs as you do the Sox.

****ing pathetic!

TaylorStSox
03-09-2006, 06:24 PM
well said. SOX fans are also in the very unique position of holding one over on them. Theyve become the brunt of our jokes, are dumber, cheer for the worst team ever, and are easy to manipulate. Why would we stop making fun of them? If you couldve seen the look on the hundred or so flub fans around kittle42 and I, when I made fun of the Trixie and her new hat, I basically got her to accidentally say "cubs suck cubs suck". It was PRICELESS ................to see her realize her gaffe, to see the dozens of sheep nearby realize the gaffe, and it was drop-a-pin-quiet. I love being a SOX fan. the most popular Sox ad campaign very recently was the Us vs. Them.

Wow. Your story is about you ridiculing some girl because she had a Cubs hat? You're a real man. When you talk about Sox "army" and all that crap, don't include me. I'm embarrassed to be associated with guys that routinely pick on women. You're a hell of a guy. :rolleyes:

I have a few friends whom are from Detroit. They're huge Tigers fans and good baseball fans. They know the game well and are always respectful of the White Sox. We went to a game a couple of years ago. The Cubs chants started when we were walking down the ramps. We played the Tigers. Their reaction was, "Jesus. Sox fans really are idiots sometimes." I couldn't disagree. People act like we're better baseball fans. How are we better baseball fans when half of our fanbase is completely obsessed with a team we barely play? You think Yankees fans would ever yell "Mets suck!" after a game against the Sox? It's juvenile.

Some of us were excited for the team, our families and generations of Sox fans when we finally won it. I can't help but think that some of you (Hangar) immediately thought about how they'd ridicule Cubs fans. For those of you that did, you're not a Sox fan. You're an anti-Cubs fans. You're the type of guys that walk around in Che Guevera shirts because you want to be antisocial.

Some of you people need to get your priorities straight.

I'm done with it. Everyone knows how I feel. I really hope that the Admin's make a decision to ban this crap. Sox fans aren't the only people that read this board. Fans of other teams read it as well. They're probably embarrassed for us.

D. TODD
03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I say to each there own. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. Cheer how ever you like , in the end we are all rooting for the Sox first and foremost.

SOecks
03-09-2006, 06:45 PM
They perpetuate stereotypes about Sox fans

From my perspective, they perpetuate stereotypes about Cub fans. Don't blame the messenger I say. :smile:

SOecks
03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Wow. Your story is about you ridiculing some girl because she had a Cubs hat? You're a real man. When you talk about Sox "army" and all that crap, don't include me. I'm embarrassed to be associated with guys that routinely pick on women. You're a hell of a guy. :rolleyes:

I have a few friends whom are from Detroit. They're huge Tigers fans and good baseball fans. They know the game well and are always respectful of the White Sox. We went to a game a couple of years ago. The Cubs chants started when we were walking down the ramps. We played the Tigers. Their reaction was, "Jesus. Sox fans really are idiots sometimes." I couldn't disagree. People act like we're better baseball fans. How are we better baseball fans when half of our fanbase is completely obsessed with a team we barely play? You think Yankees fans would ever yell "Mets suck!" after a game against the Sox? It's juvenile.

Some of us were excited for the team, our families and generations of Sox fans when we finally won it. I can't help but think that some of you (Hangar) immediately thought about how they'd ridicule Cubs fans. For those of you that did, you're not a Sox fan. You're an anti-Cubs fans. You're the type of guys that walk around in Che Guevera shirts because you want to be antisocial.

I'm done with it. Everyone knows how I feel. I really hope that the Admin's make a decision to ban this crap. Sox fans aren't the only people that read this board. Fans of other teams read it as well. They're probably embarrassed for us.

The Hangar story about the girl with the hat isn't as simple as what he said in this thread. My priorities are straight. When the playoffs started I made a promise to myself that if the Sox won it all I'd never gloat or rub it in the faces of Cub fans unless I was defending myself. I have stuck to that completely and only respond to Cub fans when they are being nasty or moronic. I don't feel bad about that at all and will continue on with the way I've been. I'll never start an argument by being cocky or gloating but if they rip on me for having a Sox coat on or start in on me being trash, I'm also not holding back on them. To each his own I guess.

TaylorStSox
03-09-2006, 07:02 PM
The Hangar story about the girl with the hat isn't as simple as what he said in this thread. My priorities are straight. When the playoffs started I made a promise to myself that if the Sox won it all I'd never gloat or rub it in the faces of Cub fans unless I was defending myself. I have stuck to that completely and only respond to Cub fans when they are being nasty or moronic. I don't feel bad about that at all and will continue on with the way I've been. I'll never start an argument by being cocky or gloating but if they rip on me for having a Sox coat on or start in on me being trash, I'm also not holding back on them. To each his own I guess.

You're a grown man, of course you defend yourself. I find it hard to believe that people go out of their way to "rip on your coat." I never run into those types of situations. I wear a Sox hat everyday. I wear Sox shirts alot. Nobody ever "rips" on me for that. Last week, I went to several bars around Wrigley and I didn't hear one thing. Maybe you guys are bringing these arguments upon yourselves.

When I go to Lakeview, I don't go out of my way to rip on the Cubs. They're Cubs fans. I'm a Sox fan. Who cares? They leave me alone and I leave them alone. I'd be willing to bet that guys like Hangar go around picking these fights. Hell, he tells us about them. It's like sitting next to the bully at the lunch table.

I have an idea. I'm going to Ditka's. I'm going to pick out some poor girl that works there and rip on her for their decor. I'm a hell of a fan.

gbergman
03-09-2006, 07:15 PM
basically my point with this was all the cub fans are stupid, cub suck posts. yes they are a rival and we cherish thier losing but to go out and blatently ridicule people because they like a team is ridiculous. I garuntee not all cub fans are yuppies who just want to go out drink, and not give a hoot about the game really. I know plenty of diehard cub fans who know a lot about baseball, follow the game, and are sick of seeing losing teams. not all find the 98 years without a championship enjoyable as i wouldn't. If your going to ridicule a person do it because they said something dumb like cubs had better pitching last year then the sox. I just don't like seeing a post about everytime a cub fans something you disagree with. who cares. yes media bias is annoying, but i mean come on. If a little kid likes the Cubs good for him, same for anyone else. Show some respect sometimes

TomBradley72
03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
:cheers: to caring as much about the Cubs as you do the Sox.
****ing pathetic!

Ease up....it's not about caring as much about the Cubs as the WSox, my point is I don't believe in "banning" a topic because some people don't like it. My point is don't open up and read threads with topics that annoy you. There are many hilarious comments, andecdotes, stories in these threads...

And the whole idea of controlling thread topics because of what visitors to WSI might think, etc. seems a little ridculous to me.

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Okay, I tried, I tried, I really did!

I remember when I was the "kid" who got dissed on the job as a new manager because I was "clueless"-- based on my age. And I promised I would never judge anyone based solely on their age.

And I never have. I have never said that a Sox fan who is a younger fan is not worthy of an opinion. In fact, I woud venture to say that us OF's--like me--just love seeing younger fans. That is the Sox fan tradition--most of us had our loyalties handed down. If you don't think so, check out the "Dedicated to...." book.

However, I draw the line when it comes to someone who--at the tender age of 19 and after joining in October 2005--decides that he/she has the right to tell longtime Sox fans what they should or should not do.

I don't tell you how to be a Sox fan, so don't you DARE try to tell me!

Daver
03-09-2006, 07:59 PM
And the whole idea of controlling thread topics because of what visitors to WSI might think, etc. seems a little ridculous to me.

Some of the "visitors" are national media members, and to them we probably do look like fools because of this.

It might seem ridiculous to you, but your name and reputation are not assiociated with the site, where ours are.

kevin57
03-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Ease up....it's not about caring as much about the Cubs as the WSox, my point is I don't believe in "banning" a topic because some people don't like it. My point is don't open up and read threads with topics that annoy you. There are many hilarious comments, andecdotes, stories in these threads...

:worship: :nod: Without politicizing this thread, I agree with the Supremes who have said that the way to defeat speech you don't like is not by limiting it, but by creating even more free speech.

SoxSpeed22
03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I never run into those types of situations. I wear a Sox hat everyday. I wear Sox shirts alot. Nobody ever "rips" on me for that. Last week, I went to several bars around Wrigley and I didn't hear one thing. Maybe you guys are bringing these arguments upon yourselves.Good for you, they got nothin' on us now.

When I go to Lakeview, I don't go out of my way to rip on the Cubs. They're Cubs fans. I'm a Sox fan. Who cares? They leave me alone and I leave them alone. I'd be willing to bet that guys like Hangar go around picking these fights. Hell, he tells us about them. It's like sitting next to the bully at the lunch table.Of course you don't seem to have a problem calling out your own kind. Yes, by the same logic, I went out of my way to call you out, so don't bother pointing that out. Most of us don't like being told how to think by anyone. :worship:MarySwiss
I think that a few more titles along with the turn of 2008 should be a nice cure for these Cub threads, they did significantly decrease since winning the World Series.

CLR01
03-09-2006, 09:32 PM

There are already a number of topics the have been banned from this forum for the reasons you listed. Whats one more?

Scottiehaswheels
03-09-2006, 09:38 PM
To the mods:

How many fewer servers would you have to run if there was no Cubs stuff on these boards? 1? 2? :D:

TomBradley72
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
It might seem ridiculous to you, but your name and reputation are not assiociated with the site, where ours are.

I just figured a place that drives about 1000+ posts/day focused primarily around the beloved White Sox takes a little insanity as a given. :cool:

SOecks
03-09-2006, 10:57 PM
You're a grown man, of course you defend yourself. I find it hard to believe that people go out of their way to "rip on your coat." I never run into those types of situations. I wear a Sox hat everyday. I wear Sox shirts alot. Nobody ever "rips" on me for that. Last week, I went to several bars around Wrigley and I didn't hear one thing. Maybe you guys are bringing these arguments upon yourselves.

When I go to Lakeview, I don't go out of my way to rip on the Cubs. They're Cubs fans. I'm a Sox fan. Who cares? They leave me alone and I leave them alone. I'd be willing to bet that guys like Hangar go around picking these fights. Hell, he tells us about them. It's like sitting next to the bully at the lunch table.

I have an idea. I'm going to Ditka's. I'm going to pick out some poor girl that works there and rip on her for their decor. I'm a hell of a fan.

I can't speak for Hangar, or anyone but myself, but I CAN tell you that there have been comments made to me by Cub fans solely because of what I'm wearing and completely unprovoked. I'm glad you haven't had to deal with them personally but that doesn't mean others of us haven't. I used to live behind Wrigley (Wilton and Waveland) and took a neverending barrage of crap from Cubs fans when I wasn't even paying attention to them. Hell, I used to have to stand outside of my place after night games with a bat to keep them from peeing on my apartment and my lawn (no I'm not making this up). As I said before I find the Cub stories on this board amusing and entertaining. I don't feel I should need to defend myself or the reasons I think it's funny. Again, if you don't like the thread you don't have to post and keep bumping it to the top. :gulp::smile:

Daver
03-09-2006, 11:55 PM
I just figured a place that drives about 1000+ posts/day focused primarily around the beloved White Sox takes a little insanity as a given. :cool:

Not really.

This is supposed to be a site for White Sox discussion, not a site for obsession with the the Cubs, and those that hate them. The members that insist on posting their paranoia make us look like idiots.

NSSoxFan
03-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Not really.

This is supposed to be a site for White Sox discussion, not a site for obsession with the the Cubs, and those that hate them. The members that insist on posting their paranoia make us look like idiots.

You're right 100%, Daver. As you said earlier, media members come on this site and browse the boards, I can't even begin to think what they think of the flubsessed. And it's not only that, but Sox players, coaches, and front office certainly do the same. Geez, I wonder how they feel knowing some of their fans have their 'priorities' in order.

SoxFan76
03-10-2006, 12:30 AM
It's part of being a Chicago baseball fan. They hate us, we hate them. As much as the media tries to make it look like they don't care, they DO care. They care just as much as we do. We have the privelage of having 2 teams in this town. And naturally, a rivalry has started due to interleague play. Why fight it? I say embrace it.

NSSoxFan
03-10-2006, 12:41 AM
It's part of being a Chicago baseball fan. They hate us, we hate them. As much as the media tries to make it look like they don't care, they DO care. They care just as much as we do. We have the privelage of having 2 teams in this town. And naturally, a rivalry has started due to interleague play. Why fight it? I say embrace it.

You sort of made our point for us. The only time the flubs really matter is six days a year. Otherwise you're just flubsessing over media coverage and attendance.

Nellie_Fox
03-10-2006, 01:12 AM
You sort of made our point for us. The only time the flubs really matter is six days a year. Otherwise you're just flubsessing over media coverage and attendance.That's just crazy. Do you really think that the hatred of many Sox fans towards the Cubs started with interleague play? Seriously? I hated the Cubs during the 50s and 60s, when the Sox always outdrew them, most people considered Wrigley to be a dilapidated dump, and their losing wasn't loveable and/or cute. I still hated them.

I don't start posts about the Cubs. I rarely post in the threads. I read some of them, most I can tell by the title are just too over the top to care about, so I don't read them. But it's just futile to tell Sox fans that they should abandon a lifetime of hatred in one season. I say again, if you don't like the threads, don't open them. In fact, it's probably a good idea to just not come on the What's The Score section, since that's what it's all about. I don't care about fantasy baseball, so I don't go on the fantasy board. I don't start threads there saying that fantasy baseball is stupid and that I don't want to read about it.

RealMenWearBlack
03-10-2006, 01:28 AM

If the Tigers game was just before the crosstown match-up, I could see why people would do Cub chants after the game. Was this the case, TaylorStSox?

100 Year Itch
03-10-2006, 01:32 AM
One of the most appealing aspects of sports is rivalries and, perhaps counter intuitively, the best rivalries are born from the proximity of the individual fanbases of the teams involved in the rivalry, not the number of games played against a given team per season.

IN THEORY, if MLB marketing were smart; instead of turning a blind eye to the obvious steroid abuse after the strike -- they should have underwent a major realignment project where the Sox, Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, Indians, Tigers and Cubs all joined the same division. And followed a similiar structure based on geographic proximity elsewhere.

PROXIMITY breeds rivalry; and this whining about keeping up appearances because the national media visits this website? Who cares that a bunch of overpaid journalists visit this site? Within five to ten years, their opinions will be worth no more than your own or mine. Blogging has already shown the irrelevance of the main stream media as it pertains to "trivial" issues such as sports. In fact, I would bet dollars to donuts that the media pawns visit a site like this hoping to discover something to write or talk about. Basically, they endeador to pirate intellectual property -- talking points -- and get paid to do so, and never disclose where their stolen "ideas" originated. Scum of the earth, IMO.

NSSoxFan
03-10-2006, 01:36 AM
That's just crazy. Do you really think that the hatred of many Sox fans towards the Cubs started with interleague play? Seriously? I hated the Cubs during the 50s and 60s, when the Sox always outdrew them, most people considered Wrigley to be a dilapidated dump, and their losing wasn't loveable and/or cute. I still hated them.

Don't get me wrong, I HATE the Cubs. I've hated them before interleague play, I know what you are saying. You can't tell me that the threads that end up on this board are really worth anything. And that is where I'll agree with the rest of your post, I'll try to stay away from looking at these threads. But to be totally honest, it's like not looking at a bad accident when you're driving.

SoxFan76
03-10-2006, 02:32 AM
You sort of made our point for us. The only time the flubs really matter is six days a year. Otherwise you're just flubsessing over media coverage and attendance.

I don't see how I made your point for you. The Cubs play in the SAME CITY as the Sox. Why can't we talk about them? Sox fans can't go 2 minutes without hearing how loveable the Cubs are with the ivy and "tradition". It hasn't always been like this, and until this city sees the light once more, I think we have every reason to bitch.

MUsoxfan
03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
I don't see how I made your point for you. The Cubs play in the SAME CITY as the Sox. Why can't we talk about them? Sox fans can't go 2 minutes without hearing how loveable the Cubs are with the ivy and "tradition". It hasn't always been like this, and until this city sees the light once more, I think we have every reason to bitch.

I disagree. The media is what it is. Many on this site perpetuate the stereotype that we as Sox fans care as much or more about what the Cubs are doing than what the Sox are doing. Bitching about it on this site changes nothing. Can't we just be happy that the Sox won the World ****ing Series without worrying about what the Northside team is doing?

I DO hate the Cubs. Always will. However, I think that bitching about every encounter that some of us have with those wearing Cub hats is out of control and enable the media-types to make fun of us. It's hard to rip on the media when it's the truth. There are many people that bring down this site as a whole. NOBODY can say that criticism of Aramis Ramirez' infected finger brings up the content quality of this site

The Critic
03-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I voted "other" because the Cubbie threads tend to bring out the mean, evil, sarcastic, funny side of a lot of posters here at WSI.
Also, some Cubbie threads are actually informative and turn into good baseball conversations.
And thirdly, I'm generally against limiting the topics we can talk about. It's cool to lock the occasional thread that goes too far or strays into areas we don't appreciate, but I think to make a "C-word" to go along with the "A-word" and the "P-word" starts to feel like "man, what CAN I talk about?"

southpaw40
03-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I have been a life long Sox fan, like a lot of you, it was passed down to me by my dad. What's probably not like a lot of you is that neither my dad nor myself has lived in or near Chicago. He just loved the game of baseball, and chose the Sox to be his team.

Since the advent of the internet, I have been fortunate to have access to information about my team, both from the Chicago newspaper sites, and from this site, that I never would have had otherwise. So that's how I became aware of the animosities between the fans of the Sox and Cubs in Chicago.

My opinion, as an outsider, of the rivalry between the two fan bases, is that it's a good sports story, and unique to Chicago. I don't think there is as much made of the differing fan bases of the teams in the other two-team cities.

So, I enjoy reading about the experiences between some of our posters and Cubs fans, and I don't think it makes the site look bad. To me, again as an outsider, it is only a reflection of a part of the society of a large midwestern city.

SOecks
03-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Not really.

Daver, I agree but think that if you look at the "site" as a whole as you stated above you'll find that there is a very small percentage of Cub-based threads. Maybe they stand out more because of the subject matter or memorable posts. Even on What's the Score's front page only 50% (18 of 36) of the threads are Cubs related with not all of them being negative (Prior injured again). That's only half the posts on a board that's meant to be the place for all Cub related chatter. The rest of this site has little to none on the Cubs. I think this is totally being blown out of proportion.

Hangar18
03-10-2006, 09:23 AM

I can't help but think that some of you (Hangar) immediately thought about how they'd ridicule Cubs fans. For those of you that did, you're not a Sox fan.

You're an anti-Cubs fans. You're the type of guys that walk around in Che Guevera shirts because you want to be antisocial.

Fans of other teams read it as well. They're probably embarrassed for us.

your first point, I believe you should know the entire story before you make generalizations. If you think I pick on women, im just as embarrassed to be associated with guys who dont read whole stories, your swell.

You werent with me when we won it all, and my first statements were "nobody can say anything to us anymore" not "I cant wait to rip cub fans"
Another generalization ............ so far your 3 for 3.

For those of us who choose to "return fire" when engaged by the enemy, doesnt make us anti-social Che Guevara sympathisizers ..... another generalization. Now your 4 for 4

Fans of other teams do come here, and they think we are the most passionate of any fanbase. they admire the fire and the fact we wont let that other team walk all over us. Your 4 for 4 in a bad way brother

Hangar18
03-10-2006, 09:37 AM
I disagree. The media is what it is. Many on this site perpetuate the stereotype that we as Sox fans care as much or more about what the Cubs are doing than what the Sox are doing. Bitching about it on this site changes nothing. Can't we just be happy that the Sox won the World ****ing Series without worrying about what the Northside team is doing?

I DO hate the Cubs. Always will. However, I think that bitching about every encounter that some of us have with those wearing Cub hats is out of control and enable the media-types to make fun of us. It's hard to rip on the media when it's the truth. There are many people that bring down this site as a whole. NOBODY can say that criticism of Aramis Ramirez' infected finger brings up the content quality of this site

This "stereotype" that your talking about ............how SOX fans care more about the Cubs, is also perpetuated by guess who? The Chicago Media ....so you see some of us have been duped here. The media is telling us day after day how we are scumbags, and they are the smartest fans ever. If someone like me doesnt come here and prove otherwise ...
how would you ever know? Who would tell you? The Media? BAhhahahahahahaha. I dont think so.

Members of the Media have told me time and again ...........they love this place ...................Stuff you read here you'll NEVER read in the papers or see on tv. This site, unknown to some of you, is very highly regarded
for the passion and truth, though some in the media choose to admire from afar. Bitching about doesnt change anything? Sure it does. I sure as heck wont just ignore it. You'd also like to know that certain segments of the actual SOX organization are glad we bring up the injustices, if they complain ...........makes them look selfish

SOecks
03-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Daver, I'd like to make one more quick point on what you said before. Lets look at who's viewing each board right now as I write this and lets see if this site has been taken over with Flubsession...

51 Viewing Clubhouse
20 Viewing Parking Lot
14 Viewing Talking Baseball
9 Viewing Test Board
6 Viewing Roadhouse
6 Viewing What's the Score
5 Viewing Minor Observations

These numbers are pretty representative to what I usually see when I come on this site and do not give evidence to any sort of Flubsession on WSI at all. The Test Board has more viewing than here right now and I don't even know what the heck that board is.

Jerko
03-10-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm split on this issue. I DO hate the Cubs, I do try to ignore them, yet I do like when they lose or if something bad happens to them. I don't really think talking about them here is important either way. If people want to talk, let em, if not, well, that's ok too. Now screaming "Cubs Suck" after the Sox first World Series win in Game 1 on the way out of the park, IMO, is stupid, and makes us as Sox fans look PETTY. We just won our first WS game in 46 years and the first thing out of the collective yaws of half of the fans there is "Cubs suck"???????? THAT is the kind of stuff I don't like. The Cubs were a bigger non-issue than usual by then and don't need to be recognized. As for these boards, sooner or later it will come down to whether or not the mods want to decide to keep putting up with all the Cub crap, and THEN I agree they should be able to ban whoever or whatever they want. They ALREADY made a forum just for Cub bull**** so you know this Cubsession crap is a legit problem for them.

spiffie
03-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I wonder if perhaps the admins might be able to start by changing the tone of things a bit. Remove all the smilie tags of things like fans mocking Sosa, or the top graphic on this forum that is mostly devoted to mocking the Cubs. I mean what other reason but flubsession could there be for someone using these tags:
:santo :barney&sham :thankgod :shammy :woo-woo :bluerock :nocubs :roidduck :corker :nandrolone

daveeym
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I wonder if perhaps the admins might be able to start by changing the tone of things a bit. Remove all the smilie tags of things like fans mocking Sosa, or the top graphic on this forum that is mostly devoted to mocking the Cubs. I mean what other reason but flubsession could there be for someone using these tags: Next you're going to tell me I can't smoke while reading the forums.

SoxFan76
03-10-2006, 11:22 AM

This is my most hated argument by the anti-flubssesed. You think that because we hate the Cubs and the Chicago media we aren't happy the White Sox won the World Series? Are you nuts?

MUsoxfan
03-10-2006, 11:36 AM
This is my most hated argument by the anti-flubssesed. You think that because we hate the Cubs and the Chicago media we aren't happy the White Sox won the World Series? Are you nuts?

Clearly the Cubsessed aren't happy because they have something to bitch and moan about when it comes to that Northside ballclub. It seems that some won't be happy until the day comes that the Cubs aren't mentioned at all in any media outlet and every mention of the Sox is prefaced with "2005 World Champion" as to rub it in everyone's face who's not a Sox fan.

Yes, the Cubs play baseball in this town too and they will have articles written about them....deserved or not. Personally, I've found that I won't have that feeling of wanting to jump off the tallest cliff anymore if the Cubs were about to make it to the World Series. When the Sox won it all, any thoughts of hating the Cubs were shuffled right to the back of my head. You know why? Because I'm happy. It's been hard to tear the smile off my face for 4 1/2 months. I can't fathom still being bitter and angry about anything and everything related to Cubdom.

White Sox Randy
03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Making fun of the flubs is just something Sox fans do.

Giving that up would be like asking a flubs fan to give up paying for tickets outside the stadium.

Hitmen77
03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Making fun of the flubs is just something Sox fans do.

Giving that up would be like asking a flubs fan to give up urinating on their stadium.

Fixed it for you.

Hitmen77
03-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I wonder if perhaps the admins might be able to start by changing the tone of things a bit. Remove all the smilie tags of things like fans mocking Sosa, or the top graphic on this forum that is mostly devoted to mocking the Cubs. I mean what other reason but flubsession could there be for someone using these tags:
:santo :barney&sham :thankgod :shammy :woo-woo :bluerock :nocubs :roidduck :corker :nandrolone

Touche. Good point.

Pierzynski 12
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Screw the Cubs.:cool:

SOXintheBURGH
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Tease their dumb fans once in awhile, thats all well and good.

Taunt their bad players after a bad error, or when Prior gives up a grand slam to Jim Edmonds, thats all well and good.

Smile or smirk and laugh a little when you see a score showing the Cubs lost is all fine and well too.

Flipping out about media coverage every damn day = not good at all, its obsessession, thats not being a Sox fan, thats being anti-Cubs first, and I don't want you on my side.

1951Campbell
03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I second this. Don't open the damn threads then. The rabid anti-anti-cubs posts are more annoying than the anti-cubs posts.

We have a winner.

santo=dorf
03-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Don't forget about the anti-Cubs icon for threads and posts that some posters use for EVERY post regardless what the discussion is about. The great "Cubune Headline" thread seems more like WTS material than Sox clubhouse material IMHO.

GoSox2K3
03-10-2006, 01:58 PM
... The great "Cubune Headline" thread seems more like WTS material than Sox clubhouse material IMHO.

Nooooo!!!!! That thread is too freakin' hilarious (especially when it comes very close to the truth) to bury in WTS.

longshot7
03-10-2006, 02:27 PM
54 for, 53 against........... so the cub threads stay!

YAY!!!!!!!!!

kevin57
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
To those who would like to ban anti-Cub threads, a question: when people complain about this guy :moron
or this guy :ass , are you in favor of writing campaigns, boycotts, etc. to have their employers fire them...or do you counsel people just to ignore them? If the latter, then you need to re-examine your position on the basis of consistency.

MUsoxfan
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM
To those who would like to ban anti-Cub threads, a question: when people complain about this guy :moron
or this guy :ass , are you in favor of writing campaigns, boycotts, etc. to have their employers fire them...or do you counsel people just to ignore them? If the latter, then you need to re-examine your position on the basis of consistency.

Why does it matter to you what either of those assclowns have to say?

NSSoxFan
03-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Why does it matter to you what either of those assclowns have to say?

This is the basis for why people become flubsessed. It's their insecurities, which include, 'oh my God, the media is paying attention the cubs, but WE won the World Series.' You see, the flubsessed want a perfect world. No flub media coverage, and tons of Sox coverage on how we won the WS. You know what feeds the flulbsessed insecurity even more? When they run into flub fans, God forbid they wear their favorite teams apparel. These Cub fans go onto make some 'smart' comment about our Sox. Now, remember, the flubsessed is an insecure group, so they have to protect themselves and their team. The flubsessed fail to realize that there is nothing that can be done about the media, there will never be.

All in all, the flubsessed remind me of this insecure boss I work for. He controls so many accounts and is very successful, yet he is the most insecure person in the office. Anytime his ego is hurt in any way, he just has to take it out on someone. I'm 100% sure everyone here has encountered an insecure person that shouldn't be. That's exactly what a flubsessed person is, an insecure White Sox fan.

FarWestChicago
03-10-2006, 07:12 PM
That's exactly what a flubsessed person is, an insecure White Sox fan.And a walking sterotype.

CLR01
03-10-2006, 08:17 PM
54 for, 53 against........... so the cub threads stay!

YAY!!!!!!!!!

I guess it's a good thing WSI is not a democracy huh?

TomBradley72
03-10-2006, 08:34 PM
That's exactly what a flubsessed person is, an insecure White Sox fan.

Man...it seems like we're starting to turn on each other.:?:

I guess it depends on the definition of "flubsessed" is it any degree of interest in contrasting our team/fans/stadium/culture with the northsiders or is it only the extremes (ie. every contact with someone who follows the other side?).

From my perspective I remember standing on a playground in the 3rd grade....I was the only White Sox fan in my class....and arguing with about 15 other kids (future lemmings) about the White Sox vs. the Cubs. 35 years later as a native of Chicago...I bet not a day has gone by where an email, a conversation, an article in the local papers, a feature on the local news hasn't reinforced the Cubs vs. White Sox dynamic. I do think it's possible to be "obsessed" but when the dynamic is everywhere in the Chicago culture...I think a big chunk of it is just responding to the environment.

I realize how much work the mods, etc...have put into this site...but when we start to worry about what visitors or media think of us/this web site and let that dictate what threads are allowed and forbidden...aren't we becoming: Cublike?

soxstarter
03-10-2006, 08:48 PM

That is the right idea Hangar! Have fun with it!!!!:supernana:

Daver
03-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I realize how much work the mods, etc...have put into this site...but when we start to worry about what visitors or media think of us/this web site and let that dictate what threads are allowed and forbidden...aren't we becoming: Cublike?

The mod staff did not start this poll, nor did we say anything about supporting it, you are leaping to conclusions. All we have done is point out that there is a percentage of the members here who take it over the top, and give the entire site a black eye.

We have a goal to make this this largest fan based site on the internet, we will not acheive that goal without mention from the media, both local and national, and anything that hinders that is dimly viewed, nowhere was it said it is forbidden. We would like to see that percentage that does choose to take it over the top spend more time discussing their team, and less time being paranoid over the team eight miles north.

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Even the most diehard cub fan who knows alot about the cubs still is impossible to sit down and talk baseball. They'll always take some shot at the sox and criticize us for resons that aren't relevant.

MUsoxfan
03-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Even the most diehard cub fan who knows alot about the cubs still is impossible to sit down and talk baseball. They'll always take some shot at the sox and criticize us for resons that aren't relevant.

Not true.

Some of my very best friends are Cub fans. They know baseball and it's alot of fun to talk baseball with them.

Dare I say that one day I want them to be as happy as I was on that October day of 2005. We got ours....

gbergman
03-11-2006, 06:33 AM
The mod staff did not start this poll, nor did we say anything about supporting it, you are leaping to conclusions. All we have done is point out that there is a percentage of the members here who take it over the top, and give the entire site a black eye.

We have a goal to make this this largest fan based site on the internet, we will not acheive that goal without mention from the media, both local and national, and anything that hinders that is dimly viewed, nowhere was it said it is forbidden. We would like to see that percentage that does choose to take it over the top spend more time discussing their team, and less time being paranoid over the team eight miles north.

yes mods didn't start this thread or partake in setting it up. i set it up as i am tired of seeing the paranoia about a team thats 8 miles north of our sox. your supposed to be sox fans around here, and talk about the sox or other important issues in baseball not be constantly worried about the cubs. if you want to show that we are better than cub fans then quit acting like them, and constantly bad mouthing them, and those who support them. my comments in no way reflect the moderators views to make that clear so no one bad mouths a mod for this thread, its just my own opinion of how i see a lot and i mean a lot of people act on here which is pretty childish.

kevin57
03-11-2006, 07:46 AM
i am tired of seeing the paranoia about a team thats 8 miles north of our sox. your supposed to be sox fans around here, and talk about the sox or other important issues in baseball not be constantly worried about the cubs... i see a lot and i mean a lot of people act on here which is pretty childish.

I don't concur at all on this. Would you please cite how many...and if you dare, name some names. I don't think I could name more than about six WSIers who demonstrate Flubsession.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't concur at all on this. Would you please cite how many...and if you dare, name some names. I don't think I could name more than about six WSIers who demonstrate Flubsession.
Yep. Five pages into this thread, and the guy is still complaining.

There are at least two major negative stereotypes being revealed about Sox Fans in this thread. The second one is that Sox Fans wouldn't know a good time if it landed on their face and wiggled... it's March, the Sox are champs, and he has found something to whine about. What a shame...

"Four wins in a row against Kansas City... big deal. We should be beating these guys..." Truly the bitching will never end... (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm)
:o:

It's March and the Sox are champs. I'll give you one guess which thread embarrasses me the most.

soxjim
03-11-2006, 10:50 AM
There is a difference in being hooked on what the cubs and there fans are doing or saying vs friendly rivalry. I have a friend who is a cub fan and packer fan. I'm a SOX fan and Bear fan. We go back and forth at times. But we don't dwell on each others team.

kevin57
03-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Sox Fans wouldn't know a good time if it landed on their face and wiggled.

I agree with you here. Many of us, even after the WS, still fret and moan and gripe about everything. That's sad, but what's sadder is their perpetual pessimism.

However, you never concretely addressed my point about being very specific about how many truly flubsessed exist here. I said I have a hard time naming six people. And frankly, one of them <cough>Hangar<cough> provides so much fun that I almost don't count him.

As I said in an earlier post, it seems like the general consensus here is that if you want to do the Marriotti and Mike North types real harm, don't pay any attention to them. That's what they want. Perhaps that same strategy should be employed with the flubsessed.

RKMeibalane
03-11-2006, 02:40 PM

It is? I always thought the Cubs were nothing more than a pile of garbage. Oh, wait! They are! :cool:

RKMeibalane
03-11-2006, 02:41 PM
The second one is that Sox Fans wouldn't know a good time if it landed on their face and wiggled...

Sad, but true.

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2006, 02:13 AM
...Sox Fans wouldn't know a good time if it landed on their face and wiggled.I'm trying to visualize this happening to me, and I'm able to picture ways in which this would be a really good thing and a really bad thing. :o:

SOecks
03-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm trying to visualize this happening to me, and I'm able to picture ways in which this would be a really good thing and a really bad thing. :o:

I visualized the "good thing" but it was still not jiving right with me at the time. It's like church and state with me. When I'm watching, reading, talking about, or thinking about the Sox I want no part of the "good thing". All other times it's open game though but the Sox is where I draw the line :tongue: