PDA

View Full Version : Who Gets the Final Roster Spot?

TomBradley72
03-09-2006, 02:38 PM
It's time to get this settled. Who do you think the White Sox should have take the final roster spot?
And of course...please show your math. :cool:

0o0o0
03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
wow borchard is killin so far. interesting...

rdwj
03-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow, I thought I was going to have to defend Borchard over Gload, but Gload has NO votes yet!

If Borchard can hit his weight in ST, it's not even a question. We could use a big bat on the bench. Owens still needs some time in the minors

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Please no Borchard. I really don't think we need Gload either. I'd go for some speed.

JohnTucker0814
03-09-2006, 03:10 PM
There is no question it should be Borchard! I know everyone is down on this guy... however, he is the 25th MAN! It is not like he is playing every day, or even every other day. We need a POWER HITTER coming off the bench. A guy that we can put in there to pinch hit when we are down by 2 with a runner on... who can do that on this roster right now? Mack? Cintron? Ozuna? Widger? Not a chance... we need a pure power bat off the bench... who cares if he hits .200... as long as he gives us 10 hr's off the bench...

ondafarm
03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Owens isn't ready and Borchard is more versatile than Gload, no matter what the Cubune designated idiot says in the paper today.

Madvora
03-09-2006, 03:13 PM
We need a POWER HITTER coming off the bench. A guy that we can put in there to pinch hit when we are down by 2 with a runner on...
Hey if they let Borchard hit from a tee in that situation, I'd be all for it too.

spiffie
03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
There is no one currently assumed to be getting a roster spot who I would want to see Borchard pinch hit for. That includes the pitching staff. Personally I'd like to see them keep 12 pitchers, hopefully keep some strain off the pen and keep them fresh all year long. I feel like a bench of Cintron, Mackowiak, Ozuna, Widger is versatile enough to cover any contingencies.

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
There is no question it should be Borchard! I know everyone is down on this guy... however, he is the 25th MAN! It is not like he is playing every day, or even every other day. We need a POWER HITTER coming off the bench. A guy that we can put in there to pinch hit when we are down by 2 with a runner on... who can do that on this roster right now? Mack? Cintron? Ozuna? Widger? Not a chance... we need a pure power bat off the bench... who cares if he hits .200... as long as he gives us 10 hr's off the bench...

.200......since when?? If we're down by 2 with a runner is on and you bring Borchard in, this game is over. Borchard is King K.

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I'd go for some speed.

Ozzie mentioned its down to 3, and if he goes speed first, it will be Owens making the team. Randar did point out correctly that he will be better suited to more AB's in the minors. We may probably see a trade of one of these guys for a Bullpen guy ........... Stay Tuned

Whitesox4ever
03-09-2006, 03:23 PM
I hope Ryan Sweeney gets the last spot

peeonwrigley
03-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Borch Daddy. Then trade him for a lefty after he hits his first 750 ft HR that makes Sportscenter's Top Plays.

INSox56
03-09-2006, 03:28 PM
If sweeney were to make the team it'd be in a decision over anderson. And I don't understand this talk of borchard. He's never performed, ever. Gload has performed at every level. Given the chance to pinch hit, he did the job. AAA last year in recovery....has anyone even LOOKED at his stats? Was he not the guy who hit the game winning (leading) double against cleveland that last series of the reg season? I think so. And that after not getting a chance up here with the big club all season. Gload gets a homer today and a double (so far) and yet no one has any confidence in the guy. LOL insane if you ask me.

lostletters
03-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Ryan Sweeney sure is making a strong case for himself for that final roster spot.

Who knows about Gload or Borchard? Personally I am not to excited about either one with the new aquisitions. While Owens does have speed, it seems Sweeney is well rounded.

Whitesox4ever
03-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Borchard is a bum.. Why should he get the last spot just because he his out of options..

Sweeney is my top choice to take that spot. For me they should start the season with the top 25 players and IMO Sweeney should make the club

INSox56
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
With all the people we have that can play OF from the bench, we dont' need a starter like sweeney sitting there when we have someone like Gload who can play all OF and, probably, the best 1B on the team (including Konerko). I DARESAY borchard is more versatile than gload. laughable

Whitesox4ever
03-09-2006, 03:36 PM
With all the people we have that can play OF from the bench, we dont' need a starter like sweeney sitting there when we have someone like Gload who can play all OF and, probably, the best 1B on the team (including Konerko). I DARESAY borchard is more versatile than gload. laughable

Gload is brutal OF... We can use Thome or Mack as the backup to 1B

INSox56
03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Gload is brutal OF... We can use Thome or Mack as the backup to 1B

Granted, then use Gload as a pinch hitter off the bench. he's STILL a better hitter than borchard. Gload 364 Avg, borchard 263. Gload 37 Ks to Borchard's 143. Every stat you look at (besides HR) Gload has been better in AAA. And with the Sox, Gload has, unquestionably, performed better than Borchard.

Whitesox4ever
03-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Granted, then use Gload as a pinch hitter off the bench. he's STILL a better hitter than borchard. Gload 364 Avg, borchard 263. Gload 37 Ks to Borchard's 143. Every stat you look at (besides HR) Gload has been better in AAA. And with the Sox, Gload has, unquestionably, performed better than Borchard.

I dont want Borchard making the team as well.. IMO if its not Sweeney than KW should make a trade for a reserve OF

Daver
03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
I dont want Borchard making the team as well.. IMO if its not Sweeney than KW should make a trade for a reserve OF

It won't be Sweeney.

A. Cavatica
03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Who am I forgetting? I count two unfilled roster spots.

1. Buehrle
2. Contreras
3. Garcia
4. Garland
5. Vazquez
6. McCarthy
7. Jenks
8. Hermanson
9. Politte
10. Cotts

11. Pierzynski
12. Widger
13. Konerko
14. Thome
15. Iguchi
16. Ozuna
17. Uribe
18. Cintron
19. Crede
20. Mackowiak
21. Podsednik
22. Anderson
23. Dye

INSox56
03-09-2006, 03:51 PM

1. Buehrle
2. Contreras
3. Garcia
4. Garland
5. Vazquez
6. McCarthy
7. Jenks
8. Hermanson
9. Politte
10. Cotts

11. Pierzynski
12. Widger
13. Konerko
14. Thome
15. Iguchi
16. Ozuna
17. Uribe
18. Cintron
19. Crede
20. Mackowiak
21. Podsednik
22. Anderson
23. Dye
Count 24 as another reliever (Probably Javier Vazquez). 25 being the position in debate

Realist
03-09-2006, 03:52 PM

1. Buehrle
2. Contreras
3. Garcia
4. Garland
5. Vazquez
6. McCarthy
7. Jenks
8. Hermanson
9. Politte
10. Cotts

11. Pierzynski
12. Widger
13. Konerko
14. Thome
15. Iguchi
16. Ozuna
17. Uribe
18. Cintron
19. Crede
20. Mackowiak
21. Podsednik
22. Anderson
23. Dye

You're not forgetting anyone. There's really two spots left open isn't there? I figure there's only 10 for sure pitchers so far.

Iwritecode
03-09-2006, 03:57 PM
It's really amazing when our biggest debates of ST are who will be the last man in the bullpen and 25th man on the roster.

:)

ChiSoxNationPres
03-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Count 24 as another reliever (Probably Javier Vazquez). 25 being the position in debate

You mean Javy Lopez?

A. Cavatica
03-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Plus, I still think it's very likely that there will be another signficant deal (most likely: dealing away a SP) before the season starts.

The two spots should go to a backup CF and a lefty reliever, and I don't like anyone we have in camp for those roles. Plus, we need to replace some depth in the farm system.

I don't feel comfortable going into the season with Uribe as the #2 hitter, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Crede or Uribe dealt...

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
It's really amazing when our biggest debates of ST are who will be the last man in the bullpen and 25th man on the roster.

:)

Kind of makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over.

SoxSpeed22
03-09-2006, 04:05 PM
The only people that you can make a case for are Borchard and Gload. Because Owens and Sweeney aren't ready yet. Here are the replacements so far.
El Duque--- Vazquez
Marte--- Javier Lopez (for now)
Willie--- Alex Cintron
Vizcaino--- McCarthy
Carl--- Thome
Timo---?
Blum--- Mackowiak
For depth purposes, I won't be surprised if Borchard breaks camp with the team. Gload can hit lefties well, so that makes it tougher to choose, but there would not be enough room for Gload defensively.

TomBradley72
03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey if they let Borchard hit from a tee in that situation, I'd be all for it too.

:kneeslap:

maurice
03-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Borch should make the team as a reserve OF and defensive replacement. He's 2nd best defensive OF on the Spring Training roster. If one of the starters goes down, they'll play Mackowiak and/or call up a minor-league OF.

The only way Gload beats out a reserve OF is if Guillen (1) really feels a strong need to replace Konerko defensively at the end of games (like he's done in the past) and (2) thinks that Gload is >>> Mackowiak / Cintron defensively. I wouldn't agree with that decision, but it's certainly the manager's prerogative to pick who he wants as the 25th man.

INSox56
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
You mean Javy Lopez?
LOL, NO OF COURSE NOT! ;)

Wow...wierd odds, top of two pages.....

Ol' No. 2
03-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Through today's game:

Joe B. 2-13 1BB 4SO 0HR .154
Gload 5-15 2BB 3SO 1HR .333

Joe had better step it up.

Banix12
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Even with the power, there is no reason to carry a .200 hitter for Offensive reasons. His only positive is the power and he's only going to do that for 5-10 ABs. Why carry a guy who is going to be a useful hitter for 5-10 AB a season?

Anyway, if you go with Gload he could supply you with power as well.

Gload 2005 AAA - averaged 1 HR every 16 AB
Borchard 2005 AAA - averaged 1 HR every 17 AB

Now certainly Borchard's overall power has been greater in past seasons but if you weigh the power numbers against the amount of times each one will strike out I would take the slightly reduced power potential of Gload over Borchard striking out 1/4 of the time.

The only reason to go with Borchard is defensive, and in that case I think it should be possible to find a better defensive OF on the waiver wire.

I actually would like the sox to talk to the Mets about Tike Redman. I thought the sox should have tried to pick him up when pittsburgh put him on waivers earlier this offseason. Not a lot of power but he can hit ok, has very good range in the OF and could act as an extra pinch runner.

esbrechtel
03-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I would have to go with gload he is playing better not and Field makes it and takes over for crede and Crede gets traded and has an all star year

Bucky F. Dent
03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I'd give it to Borchard.
Gotta say though, that this is his absolute last chance to keep a roster spot. If its June 15 and he's hitting 225 w/ 3 homers and more K's than hits. The boy will have played his last game for this organization.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I guess I'll go with Borchard.

lostletters
03-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Borchard better step it up. As it stands he is running behind Gload and Sweeney in my opinion for that final roster spot.

Also Borchard is FAR from the second best fielder on the team. I REMEMBER 2004, he was as much, if not more so, of a butcher in the outfield as Gload. We (my family) even developed a nick for the guy, bird&#(@.

The advantage Gload has over him is the hitting. Gload has proven he can hit at a major league level. Borchard never has.

If anything Guillen may bypass both for Sweeney.

If Borchard does not step it up with the bat, he is going to be out very soon, because both Gload and Sweeney are on a tear. While spring training does not matter much for BA for guys who know they have thier spot garunteed, it is essential to do well if you are going after a spot that is VERY competitive. Borchard is in that position right now. I would say he is FAR from a lock...and if anything I would give any edge to Sweeney at this point, and then Gload.

Remember, Gload has also proven himself to be a great pinch hitter, in 2004 he was second in the AL in that statistic. When it gets down to it, this last spot is not a defensive replacement in the outfield, it is a guy being brought in who can consistantly hit in tight situations. I do not think Borchard qualifies in that category, at all. Gload is more clutch, plain and simple, and does not strike out as much. He has more plate discipline.

Right now I see the race for the last roster spot as:
1. Sweeney
2. Gload
3. Borchard

Borchard needs to break through and break through soon. Because right now he is not even close to getting anything but a trip to the minors.

SoxFan76
03-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't think there's any question about it. Borchard's the 25th man. Owens can't be sitting on the bench, and as much as I like Gload, he can't play anything other than 1st base. And the Sox have 3 guys at the least who can play 1st. (Mackowiak?)

JB98
03-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Anyone who thinks Ryan Sweeney will make the club is smoking crack. Ask yourself, what would be better for his development? Sitting on the bench at the big-league level or getting everyday at-bats in the minors? For me, that answer is pretty simple. I feel the same way about Owens.

I think it comes down to Gload and Borchard, and so far, Ross has had the better spring. Also, Gload has been more productive than Borch when given the opportunity at the big-league level in the past.

Personally, I've had it with Borch.

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Anyone who thinks Ryan Sweeney will make the club is smoking crack. Ask yourself, what would be better for his development? Sitting on the bench at the big-league level or getting everyday at-bats in the minors? For me, that answer is pretty simple. I feel the same way about Owens.

I think it comes down to Gload and Borchard, and so far, Ross has had the better spring. Also, Gload has been more productive than Borch when given the opportunity at the big-league level in the past.

Personally, I've had it with Borch.Didn't we have this identical debate last year about Brian Anderson and Brandon McCarthy? As I recall, there were a large number of people who were CERTAIN that they would make the team.

Pierzynski 12
03-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Ross Gload

tick53
03-10-2006, 11:23 AM

SAME HERE...

TomBradley72
03-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I think it's likely that Ryan Sweeney will "deserve" a spot on the roster...but for the long term he will be better off getting 400+ AB's at AAA and playing every day this year...especially with the injury he had last year. He'll be in better position to take over RF permanently with the extra development time at AAA.

soxfanaticpaulie
03-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, if what I heard on WSCR this morning is true, and both Gload and Borchard are out of minor league options, it's definitely going to be one of them isn't it?

I'm torn. I picked Gload since I think he's had better stints in the Majors. (not sure of stats though) Try to get something for Borchard?

If they can't option either one to triple A, that makes this an even tougher decision.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
The Sox already have Mack, there's no need for Borchard clogging up a spot with his spotty hitting and errant fielding.

Gload.

BanditJimmy
03-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Gload would be my choice since he can play 1B and the corner OF positions.

Borchard's extra long swing is not a good idea for a bench player, especially one who might only see action once every seven days.

Randar68
03-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Ryan Sweeney sure is making a strong case for himself for that final roster spot.

Who knows about Gload or Borchard? Personally I am not to excited about either one with the new aquisitions. While Owens does have speed, it seems Sweeney is well rounded.

You guys who think Sweeney has a remote chance of making this team need to see your doctor for a little

:prozac

Get real. The kid always plays well in the spring. Hell, if he's on, why isn't Josh Fields who is actually hitting better than Sweeney?

I'll tell you numbskulls why.

HE'S A PROSPECT WHO NEEDS TO PLAY EVERY DAY!

Sitting on the bench 5 days a week doesn't teach you how to do anything but eat seeds and pick your nose.

maurice
03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, if what I heard on WSCR this morning is true, and both Gload and Borchard are out of minor league options, it's definitely going to be one of them isn't it?

No. Somebody else mentioned a third option of cutting both and picking up a better player from another team (through trade or waivers). It's also possible that a player without options could clear waivers and still end up back at Charlotte. IMHO, Gload probably would clear waivers, though some crappy team might want to take a low-cost chance on Borchard.

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2006, 02:58 PM
No. Somebody else mentioned a third option of cutting both and picking up a better player from another team (through trade or waivers). It's also possible that a player without options could clear waivers and still end up back at Charlotte. IMHO, Gload probably would clear waivers, though some crappy team might want to take a low-cost chance on Borchard.I doubt very much that either one of these guys would clear waivers. They both still play for the league minimum, and I'm pretty sure there are several teams with at least one player on their roster who is worse. That's really all it takes.

maurice
03-10-2006, 05:05 PM
My point is that the demand for a Ross Gload is very low. Keep in mind that Gload has been with 5 different organizations. The Sox acquired him for the immortal Wade Parrish in 2003. Currently, he's the same player + 3 years older + no options left. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but there are a few dozen AAA players exactly like him.

This reminds me of last year, when most posters were overvaluing Jaime Burke and thought he'd never clear waivers.

maurice
03-10-2006, 05:08 PM
It's also possible that the Sox will release the loser of the 25th man contest and give him a chance to play in another organization. It looks like Charlotte is going to be loaded at 1B and OF, including actual prospects who could be called up in the event of an injury.

soxfanaticpaulie
03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
No. Somebody else mentioned a third option of cutting both and picking up a better player from another team (through trade or waivers). It's also possible that a player without options could clear waivers and still end up back at Charlotte. IMHO, Gload probably would clear waivers, though some crappy team might want to take a low-cost chance on Borchard.

I just can't see them taking that risk with all of the investment they have in both of these guys. I don't think that they would clear waivers either, with the cheap price tag and big estimated "futures" of these two, especially Borchard. In today's MLB, there always seems to be someone willing to pick up a big bopper like Borchard, even if he strikes out 2/3 of the time. IMHO If they cut him, I'd say they are through with him.

But in any case. That's why I think its definitely going to be one of these two. If you can bring the one up that you think can make it, and cut the one you don't want anymore or think will clear waivers, then you can evaluate them at the major league level "one last time" and bring someone else up as a call-up later in the year. Just seems to make the most sense to me. But then-again, Ozzie and Kenny haven't been known to be, shall we say...conservative?

A. Cavatica
03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
big estimated "futures" of these two, especially Borchard.

Not even Borchard believes he has a big future in baseball at this point.

Gload at least can hit. He'll catch on somewhere.

TomBradley72
03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Stats for the contenders through 3/15:

Sweeney: 21 AB's (.429-3-4)
Gload: 22AB's (.318-1-6)
Borchard: 27 AB's (.296-2-7)
Owens: 22 AB's (.186-0-1)

I think Borchard is gaining some momentum the last few days....maybe at least creating a little trade value...he does look alot better than he has in the past....he hit .300+ over the last two months at AAA last year...maybe he's turned the corner a bit?

Anyone know anything about Darren Blakely? Decent spring so far: .300-2-6 in 20 AB's.

Banix12
03-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Stats for the contenders through 3/15:

Sweeney: 21 AB's (.429-3-4)
Gload: 22AB's (.318-1-6)
Borchard: 27 AB's (.296-2-7)
Owens: 22 AB's (.186-0-1)

I think Borchard is gaining some momentum the last few days....maybe at least creating a little trade value...he does look alot better than he has in the past....he hit .300+ over the last two months at AAA last year...maybe he's turned the corner a bit?

Anyone know anything about Darren Blakely? Decent spring so far: .300-2-6 in 20 AB's.

Borchard would have to look better than he has in the past. How could he look worse. It's tough to say how much better he is this spring just because hitters don't exactly face the greatest competition in spring and a lot of pitchers are just working on pitches. Though certainly he might have gained a little bit of trade value over the last couple of days.

It's also tough to say if he turned the corner based on a half season of AB's. He's gone through stretches in the past, before the second half of last season, where he has put together strong numbers. They are almost always offset by some horrid numbers, much like his strong finish last season was offset by his horrendous start. Last season's performance can be taken two ways 1) He's come around as a hitter based on his most recent performance or 2) he's a hitter prone to extreme highs and lows and in the end he ends up around the same average numbers if given enough ABs in a season.

Blakely is basically a pure fastball hitter, actually quite similar to Borchard in that he is a switch hitter who is a good power, low walk, high strikeout player. He's 28 and has bounced around a bit, before the sox got him he was playing in an independant league. Had a good year last season in Birmingham. He only has 15 career at bats above the AA level and 2006 will be his 9th year of pro ball.

Based on his strong spring I would give him a sink or swim season in AAA and see if he can do something at that level. I don't think I would give him a shot at the big club.

Blakely career stats (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/174660)

lostletters
03-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Well Borchard is making it a real battle for the last roster.

Also it is looking very likely that a relitive unknown...Logan, might get a pitching spot on the roster. A very young lefty in the bullpen.

Domeshot17
03-15-2006, 11:39 PM
I think alot depends on the market. Right now Borch and Gload are a coinflip. You have 3 guys who play 1b on the roster, so Borch has the edge with his defense in the OF IMHO. I am sure KW is testing the market for both, and whoever draws the most interest, especially if they can bring in a strong lefty specialist RP, would be the odd man out. This makes me think Gload would be dealt. He has shown he can hit at the major league level, and a team like the braves may love a guy like him to platoon between the OF and 1b and might deal an rp like foster who can get lefties out (under .220 ba against vs lhp).

Stroker Ace
03-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I hate to say it, but my vote goes to Borchard.

maurice
03-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Blakely is an organizational player (not a MLB vet and too old to be a prospect). He'll probably be assigned to whatever minor-league team needs a quality bat and a mature team leader.

White Sox Randy
03-16-2006, 01:44 PM
I say that Borchard gets it because he can play all 3 outfield positions.

With Pods(currently) and Dye(historically) having injury concerns, this is important. Especially since the other starter is a rookie that's had wrist surgery.

That's just my guess.

Banix12
03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I say that Borchard gets it because he can play all 3 outfield positions.

With Pods(currently) and Dye(historically) having injury concerns, this is important. Especially since the other starter is a rookie that's had wrist surgery.

That's just my guess.
I would think that if Pods problem were to be a serious issue it would open up more consideration for Owens. Basically because the sox only have two speed guys on the roster and it's not like they are going to trust Ozuna in the OF on a semi-regular basis.

To be honest I would like the sox to find another guy with some speed who can steal bases, hence why I recommended Tike Redman earlier. I don't really worry about power on the bench since there really is enough power in the everyday lineup. There is nobody other than Pods in the lineup who would be Pinch Hit for because of a lack of power. However there are plenty of guys in the lineup I would pinch run for.