PDA

View Full Version : White Sox and TNA Wrestling news

mccoydp
03-09-2006, 02:10 PM
This may or may not be appropriate for the clubhouse, but some of you might be interested to know about the following information I found earlier today:

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/38615/TNA-Press-Release:-TNA-Gives-World-Title-To-Chicago-White-Sox.htm

I don't watch TNA wrestling, so I was unaware that their cooperative agreement with the White Sox would extend past the A.J. Pierzynski angle.

I wonder if the Sox will make any mention of this on TV?

Lip Man 1
03-09-2006, 02:27 PM
and the headlines scream:

Sox Series Win Faked!

TNA releases 'script' of Sox World Series win!
Cubs would have made a better opponant!

:D:

Lip

spiffie
03-09-2006, 02:37 PM
So AJ is responsible for the Sox being associated in the public eye with Journey and minor league wrestling (not even WWE). Is this what they meant by "cancer"?

disclaimer: I love both Journey and pro wrestling.

bayzbol44
03-09-2006, 03:26 PM
:o:

Rocky Soprano
03-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know about all of you, but I think this is pretty cool.
Nice move from TNA, they just gained a new fan.

skottyj242
03-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Is this going to be the new Pick to Click?

na_na_na_na
03-09-2006, 03:39 PM
It's pretty awesome that after each game AJ is going to let a player wear the belt. I want pictures of all the players with this thing on.

Also I want versions for sale to fans.

rdwj
03-09-2006, 03:44 PM
I think having a westling belt in the locker room might be a fun thing. I'll be looking to see how often it makes it on television.

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 04:48 PM
this is AWESOME and a major PR Coup for the White SOX. Of course, noone in the Chicago Media has dared to mention this. Anyone surprised?

DieTrying79
03-09-2006, 05:02 PM
this is AWESOME and a major PR Coup for the White SOX. Of course, noone in the Chicago Media has dared to mention this. Anyone surprised?

Nope.

If Dusty decided to squeeze his big butt into a singlet and make an appearance on TNA, it would be front page news, at least on one paper.

longshot7
03-09-2006, 05:21 PM
This is HILARIOUS! I love TNA and I'm obsessed with the Sox so what better way to merge them. I can't wait to see the belt ceremony after every game - and they better make replicas 'cause that's a belt I would wear.

Also, I think it's great TNA would ally themselves with us as opposed to other more beloved teams.

TheDarkGundam
03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Wow, pretty cool!

spiffie
03-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Sadly this is not a major PR coup for the Sox. If this had been WWE and the Sox doing this, then I would say that at least there's two pretty big companies getting together. But teaming up with an organization that may not survive the year, and that has yet to crack a 1.0 rating on cable is not exactly major mainstream news. If they really wanted to do something to indulge AJ's love of wrestling they should have worked to crosspromote the first weekend in April as both Wrestlemania 22 and Opening Night for the Champs...could have sold it as "All the champs will be in Chicago that night." That would have had a much better chance of getting media play than this.

shbart
03-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Sadly this is not a major PR coup for the Sox. If this had been WWE and the Sox doing this, then I would say that at least there's two pretty big companies getting together. But teaming up with an organization that may not survive the year, and that has yet to crack a 1.0 rating on cable is not exactly major mainstream news. If they really wanted to do something to indulge AJ's love of wrestling they should have worked to crosspromote the first weekend in April as both Wrestlemania 22 and Opening Night for the Champs...could have sold it as "All the champs will be in Chicago that night." That would have had a much better chance of getting media play than this.

Spiff, I have to agree with you, but I do think it's kind of a fun idea on TNA's part.
Btw, anyone else see these obvious wrestling comparisons:
Frank Thomas=Hulk Hogan. The ultimate babyface turns ultimate heel late in his career.
Kenny Williams= Vince McMahon Both guys love to play the role of hard ass on camera and both are obsessed with being on top.
AJ Pierzynski= Bobby Heenan (The Brain/Weasel). The ultimate instigators!

Not sure who Ozzie matches up with, but he has a perfect pro wrestling persona.

Domeshot17
03-10-2006, 01:21 AM
I think its a great team. WWE has lost so many fans in the last 3 years. TNA is pretty much new, in terms of wrestling. Its founder is jeff jarrett, so my guess is its been around 3 maybe 4 years. I stopped watching wrestling for about 2 years until my brother ordered the TNA ppv months ago on my TV because it had the box. Anyway, I was impressed by the QUALITY of wrestling, and not the QUANTITY of old, washed up wrestlers ( I think Ric Flair is still wrestling).

Was anyone more amused not by the belt, but the fact that AJ belted some wrestler with home plate.

FedEx227
03-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Not sure who Ozzie matches up with, but he has a perfect pro wrestling persona.

Lol.... Tito Santana?

SOXintheBURGH
03-10-2006, 01:58 AM
[/i]Lol.... Tito Santana?
aka

"Chico" Santana to Bobby Heanan

Flying Forearm....

bestkosher
03-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Ozzie as a wrestler...hmmm well he would most likely be in the style of a Luchador. With high flying tactics and aggresive play. He would have the attitude of a Konan, (current TNA wrester former WCW wrestler). Maybe they can bring him to guest manage a latin match, or do guest announcing for Spanish TV.

spiffie
03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Ozzie as a wrestler...hmmm well he would most likely be in the style of a Luchador. With high flying tactics and aggresive play. He would have the attitude of a Konan, (current TNA wrester former WCW wrestler). Maybe they can bring him to guest manage a latin match, or do guest announcing for Spanish TV.
If you believe the folks who complained about our team last year, Ozzie would be akin to the late great Eddy Guerrero, always ready to "Cheat to Win".

mccoydp
03-10-2006, 10:49 AM
aka

Flying Forearm....

Or "Flying Burrito" to Jesse Ventura. :D:

Tito (a.k.a Merced Solis) now owns & runs a hair salon in New Jersey.

alohafri
03-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Nope.

If Dusty decided to squeeze his big butt into a singlet and make an appearance on TNA, it would be front page news, at least on one paper.

Dusty Baker vs. Dusty Rhodes in a steel cage?

FP_sox
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid? I guess I never understood why any person over the age of 5 would think fate wrestling is cool.

spiffie
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid? I guess I never understood why any person over the age of 5 would think fate wrestling is cool.

I love wrestling with fate, but fate always wins...as if it was destined to happen.

skottyj242
03-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I have a fake WWE championship belt that I was planning on bringing to opeining day.

slavko
03-10-2006, 08:23 PM
aka

Flying Forearm....

Bobby Heenan...that scoundrel...once referred to the team of Rick Martel and Tito Santana as Lucky Pierre and La Bamba. I hope Bobby (very sick man) is doing OK.

hsnterprize
03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Man...it's cool to look back at the "good ol' days" of pro wrestling. For me, it was the "Rock 'N Wrestling" era of the 80's. Watching the WWF, NWA, World Class Championship Wrestling (with the Von Erichs, "Gentleman" Chris Adams, Gino Hernandez, Kimala, Skandar Akbar, Rick Rude with Percy Pringle, etc.), and even some old AWA action.

AJ's association with the NWA/TNA is awesome. The TNA (Total Non-stop Action) Division is the highest level in the National Wrestling Alliance, and it has some pretty neat action. I saw a match between Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe, and it was a brawl. The clip of AJ hitting a wrestler over the head with home plate looked too fake to me. The plate bent over the wrestler's head, and the "hit" didn't really look like a hit to me. But, athletes getting in a wrestling match aren't really going to get into the match as much as a wrestler would. Even when Brian Urlacher got into the ring and slammed a couple of people a few months ago, it looked too staged. Still, if the Sox and the NWA/TNA get more pub from their association together, more power to both organizations.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't like this very much. It was awesome seeing AJ on wrestling and doing that, but a daily thing?

To me it's just another distraction from the real reason we go to the park.

rookiewhitesox
03-30-2006, 02:49 AM
I dont know if you guys heard of this but they've been handing out OZZIEBRAWL SPRING TRAINING 2006 tee. I want one :D:

http://http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/fullnews2.php?all=568
check out the link and see.

http://http://www.tnawrestling.com/updates/images/main/ozziebrawl.jpg

nlentz88
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't like this very much. It was awesome seeing AJ on wrestling and doing that, but a daily thing?

To me it's just another distraction from the real reason we go to the park.

I totally agree. I hope this belt doesn't become a distraction to the team over the course of the year. Of course, it may give a boost to team chemistry too, but somehow I doubt it. I'd imagine that this belt will provide opportunities for more shenanigans like the one in ST where Ozzie hit that dude in the back with a chair. Yeah, I chuckled at that, but do we need that to be happening several times over the course of the season? Will TNA wrestlers be sneaking into the Sox clubhouse to steal the belt and have other run-ins with AJ? It all adds up to distraction, IMHO.

Also, I'm sure we'll be hearing crap from Sox-haters out there suggesting that the Sox and their fans are all a bunch of rednecks. I know, I know. Fans of wrestling don't necessarily have to be rednecks. But still, I think there are Sox-haters out there that will add this to their list of "evidence" for Sox fans being "low class," e.g. Ligue. Again, I'm not saying that fans of wrestling are low class; I just suspect this will give Sox-haters more ammunition.