PDA

View Full Version : Usa Sports

Hawkeroo1980
03-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Americans haven't put up a solid preformance in the last 4-6 years?

Between these past Olympics in Torino......the USA Mens BBall Team.....and now the USA Baseball team, there is a real alarming trend!!!!

WE SUCK!!!!!!! WOW. :angry:

I'm going to look up the past Ryder Cup results but I dont think they are very good either. I think there is just a bit more fire in the other countries

1951Campbell
03-09-2006, 12:14 PM
America is where you come to play baseball, football, hockey and basketball on the highest level. I think people and players care more about proving themselves in our professional leagues than in international competition. I don't care about the WBC, for example--the World Series is the real prize.

CHISOXFAN13
03-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Has anyone noticed that the Americans haven't put up a solid preformance in the last 4-6 years?

Between these past Olympics in Torino......the USA Mens BBall Team.....and now the USA Baseball team, there is a real alarming trend!!!!

WE SUCK!!!!!!! WOW. :angry:

I'm going to look up the past Ryder Cup results but I dont think they are very good either. I think there is just a bit more fire in the other countries

The US finished second in the medal count in Torino. What were you expecting. They finished ahead of many countires where winter sports rule.

Rooney4Prez56
03-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I think there is just a bit more fire in the other countries

No, there isn't enough in this country. When the U.S. Olympians say the medals don't matter, that shows that we don't care about competing against other countries.

samram
03-09-2006, 12:25 PM
America is where you come to play baseball, football, hockey and basketball on the highest level. I think people and players care more about proving themselves in our professional leagues than in international competition. I don't care about the WBC, for example--the World Series is the real prize.

Yep. International championships in the four major sports is not a priority for American players or fans. There's a reason the best players from other countries come here to and the guys who aren't so great here go to Europe for basketball or Japan for baseball.

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, and we never win the Boston or New York marathon either.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2006, 01:17 PM
When the WBC starts playing with real rules, corrects the dubious citizenship issues (Mulder for Holland?????) and actually has the best players out on the field (and no Al Leiter doesn't count as 'the best...') then I'll get concerned.

Till then it's a non-issue in my opinion.

Lip

samram
03-09-2006, 01:27 PM
When the WBC starts playing with real rules, corrects the dubious citizenship issues (Mulder for Holland?????) and actually has the best players out on the field (and no Al Leiter doesn't count as 'the best...') then I'll get concerned.

Lip

Yeah, I definitely lost interest when I found that Al Leiter was on the team. Hell, they should have called up Ken Hill or Rick Helling or Mike Morgan.

cleanwsox
03-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I definitely lost interest when I found that Al Leiter was on the team. Hell, they should have called up Ken Hill or Rick Helling or Mike Morgan.

I agree although I haven't lost any interest in the WBC quite yet. Leiter couldn't have been the best option of all the American players out there? I know it was on short notice since Wagner and Sabathia backed out, so perhaps all the bigger names turned it down.

MUsoxfan
03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
The reason that the USA sucks in international competitions lately is because of the pro athletes. Use amateurs for the Olympics and stuff like the WBC. I've often said that the Olympic basketball team for the U.S. should be college kids coached by a college coach

D. TODD
03-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Yep. International championships in the four major sports is not a priority for American players or fans. There's a reason the best players from other countries come here to and the guys who aren't so great here go to Europe for basketball or Japan for baseball. Money first and foremost

IlliniSox4Life
03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
As far as the Olympics go, we did alright. There was one real bad apple (Bodie Miller), but that does not make the rest of them bad. NBC just picked the wrong athletes to promote. Just because Michelle Kwan was a huge star doesn't mean she is as good any more, but they hinged a lot on that. They knew Bodie was a disaster but kept promoting him anyway. As someone said, we still finished 2nd in the medals. No other country is as good at both the summer and winter olympics. In Athens we finished with 103 medals to second place China's 63.

Secondly, the USA Baseball team in the WBC lost 1 game. Anybody can lose 1 baseball game. Stop freaking out. Yeah, they may get eliminated, but it's one game. There's a reason the World Series is 7 games and not 1 or 3.

TheOldRoman
03-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Lip There is no Holland team. If you are speaking of the Netherlands, he is not on their roster.

The citizenship rules are a joke. However, I didn't see the big deal people made about Piazza, in particular on here. Several people said "if we are going to be critical of A-Rod, we should be just as critical of Piazza". There is a huge difference.
1. Italy was going to suck no matter who played for them. The only reason they won a single game was that Australia is in their bracket. Piazza wasn't "betraying" America because Italy had no chance in hell of making the second round, let alone beating the US.
2. Piazza is very far from a top caliber player at this point in his career. Italy was stacked with Piazza, Frank Menechino, Frank Catalanatto, Dan Miceli, and the great Jason Grili. None of those players are good enough to make the US team.

I understand why they made the rules the way they did. First of all, they needed 16 teams, so there are a few countries who have no business being there (Italy, Australia, South Africa). They wanted to make those teams somewhat respectable, so they allowed major leaguers who had a loose connection to those countries to play. I agree that the whole WBC is a joke, but I understand why they made the rules the way they did.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Roman:

According to the print edition of The Sporting News, Mulder was originally supposed to play for Holland (or the Netherlands if your prefer)

The story clearly stated neither he nor any family member had ANY connection to that country. Mulder was quoted in the story as saying Gene Orza wanted him to play for Holland. The story joked that the only 'connection' Mulder had to Holland was that he was born and raised in South Holland, Illinois.

Farce, pure and simple.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Can the season start already?!!:thud:

santo=dorf
03-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Roman:

According to the print edition of The Sporting News, Mulder was originally supposed to play for Holland (or the Netherlands if your prefer)

The story clearly stated neither he nor any family member had ANY connection to that country. Mulder was quoted in the story as saying Gene Orza wanted him to play for Holland. The story joked that the only 'connection' Mulder had to Holland was that he was born and raised in South Holland, Illinois.

Farce, pure and simple.

Lip
That's pretty funny.

Lip, can you at least admit that the games (if you are even watching, or are you just blindly bashing?) are better than watching minor leaguers (or as you call them, not the "best" players) in Spring Training games?

chisoxfanatic
03-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Can the season start already?!!:thud:

3.5 weeks! :D:

Lip Man 1
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Dorf:

Haven't wasted my time watching one second of the farce. I catch the scores and the thirty second 'highlites,' at night.

When Al Leiter is on your 'national' team that sums things up pretty well.

Personally I don't care if they are more exciting then a spring game. The focus is supposed to be on the White Sox having all their players in camp getting ready for their season.

That's what counts. Getting those players ready under Sox supervision. The Sox have numerous new players this year, all have to be blended together and missing even only a few guys (and the Sox are fortunate in this regard) compromises that objective.

The goal is getting back to the post season in 2006, not playing a manipulated 'series' that even Bud Selig at his press conference to announce this refused to call a 'game.' His exact quote was, "The most important international baseball event ever staged."

At least he got that statement correct.

I'm not saying you shouldn't watch or enjoy, that's totally up to you...as for me I'd rather watch paint dry.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Roman:

Farce, pure and simple.

Lip

Regardless of what the Sporting News chose to print (erroneously??), the simple fact of the matter is that he was never on their roster. The WBC rules clearly state that X player can play for X country if he or either one of his parents was either born in X country or is a citizen of X country.

Prior to the WBC starting I was down on it because I got the impression from media accounts (as you did) that basically anybody could play for any country. However, after 2 minutes of my own research I realized this was not the case. One of these days I'll finally learn to stop believing things just because some newspaper/magazine prints it.