PDA

View Full Version : if marlins relocate

gbergman
03-09-2006, 11:48 AM
If marlins move were would you like to see them go?

personelly i'd like vegas but in a stadium similar to the one the dbacks play in.

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
No Portland or OKC?

Cubsuck_a_lot
03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
baseball in Vegas would make that one ultimate vacation...

hit up the golf courses and a few games during the day, hit up the strip at night.

plus, vegas is, as cliche as this phrase is getting, one of the largest growing cities in the nation. There are a lot of businesses moving out there as well. the potential out there is just like the weather, very very hot.

however, weather also brings about an interesting debate: how many players would want to play 80 games in the desert heat? ive been out there in June, and it is brutal. sure it gets hot all over the country, but not for the long extended periods of time as it does in Vegas. Chicago will hit 100 maybe 8 or 9 times in a summer. Vegas hits it almost every day. not a hijack, just a query to ponder when discussing vegas as an MLB option...

VenturaSoxFan23
03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
How about Tampa? I'm sure they're looking for a major league team.

Baby Fisk
03-09-2006, 12:11 PM
other: contract the Marlins and move Pittsburgh back to the NL East.

CHISOXFAN13
03-09-2006, 12:16 PM
other: contract the Marlins and move Pittsburgh back to the NL East.

What other team would you contract then? Eliminating the Marlins creates an odd number of teams.

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 12:19 PM
If marlins move were would you like to see them go?

Hell. Giving good players away ......... is bad for baseball. Karmas a funny funny thing.

Baby Fisk
03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
What other team would you contract then? Eliminating the Marlins creates an odd number of teams.
Perhaps Tampa? Shift Detroit to the AL East and shift Milwaukee to the AL Central. It leaves the NL Central with 4 teams though. Would that work?

Rooney4Prez56
03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I have one question:

Its the Marlins.
WHO CARES?

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Perhaps Tampa? Shift Detroit to the AL East and shift Milwaukee to the AL Central. It leaves the NL Central with 4 teams though. Would that work?

Cleveland is further east than Detroit.

Baby Fisk
03-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Cleveland is further east than Detroit.
I surrender.

itsnotrequired
03-09-2006, 01:14 PM
No Portland or OKC?

Portland has made it clear that they will not be publically funding any stadiums. Oklahoma City is too small to support a team.

gbergman
03-09-2006, 01:48 PM
well people mention the heat but look at the diamondbacks. they play in phoenix area where it gets hotter then vegas or about the same most of the time they just have the right stadium for it. i think if vegas built a stadium like that there it would be great. I know Selig is worried about gambling, but as in the gretzky case it can happen without being in vegas. i mean the mets or yankees could go to atlantic city if they wanted and bet. plus vegas is a fast growing market, and would draw plenty of interest from corporations and such to spend money there.

D. TODD
03-09-2006, 01:52 PM

hit up the golf courses and a few games during the day, hit up the strip at night.

plus, vegas is, as cliche as this phrase is getting, one of the largest growing cities in the nation. There are a lot of businesses moving out there as well. the potential out there is just like the weather, very very hot.

however, weather also brings about an interesting debate: how many players would want to play 80 games in the desert heat? ive been out there in June, and it is brutal. sure it gets hot all over the country, but not for the long extended periods of time as it does in Vegas. Chicago will hit 100 maybe 8 or 9 times in a summer. Vegas hits it almost every day. not a hijack, just a query to ponder when discussing vegas as an MLB option... They will have a retractable dome like in Phoenix. The D'backs seem to be doing fine.

White Sox Randy
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I vote for Wrigleyville

CHISOXFAN13
03-09-2006, 02:21 PM

I like where you are going with this. I would love to see the Brewers back in the AL Central.

0o0o0
03-09-2006, 02:55 PM

they've only got 2 teams the way it is

Scottiehaswheels
03-09-2006, 03:55 PM
I think many people on here know my vote goes for Indianapolis for any team that moves.... :D:

Ol' No. 2
03-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I know a good place. Metro population over 3 million. Large immigrant base for whom baseball is already in their culture. Nearest other baseball city is 200 miles away.

MIAMI

dcb56
03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I know a good place. Metro population over 3 million. Large immigrant base for whom baseball is already in their culture. Nearest other baseball city is 200 miles away.

MIAMI

You mean Miami is a more suitable market for a Major League Baseball team than Las Vegas?!?! Shocking, I tell you!!! Positively unbelievable!!!

I'd say the Marlins franchise is in more desperate need of an owner who does not have a habit of destroying baseball in perfectly fine markets because of his rabid stadium-lust than it is of a new city.

SOXintheBURGH
03-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Contract Tampa Bay or Minnesota

American League

Boston
New York
Baltimore
Toronto

Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Minnesota
Milwaukee

Seattle
Anaheim
Texas
Oakland
Kansas City

(OR add Tampa to AL East, sack Minnesota in AL Central)

National League

St. Louis
Chicago
Houston
Cincinatti

New York
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Washington, DC
Pittsburgh

Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Colorado
Las Vegas (via Florida)

(Pittsburgh moves to NL East, Marlins move to NL West)

Each league gets two 5 team divisions and a 4 team division

TheOldRoman
03-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Hell. Giving good players away ......... is bad for baseball. Karmas a funny funny thing.
:rolleyes:

lostletters
03-10-2006, 01:47 AM

American League

Boston
New York
Baltimore
Toronto

Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Minnesota
Milwaukee

Seattle
Anaheim
Texas
Oakland
Kansas City

(OR add Tampa to AL East, sack Minnesota in AL Central)

National League

St. Louis
Chicago
Houston
Cincinatti

New York
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Washington, DC
Pittsburgh

Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Colorado
Las Vegas (via Florida)

(Pittsburgh moves to NL East, Marlins move to NL West)

Each league gets two 5 team divisions and a 4 team division

This is the first re-arranging I can agree with too some degree. It is better for everybody, because people play the big money clubs from thier respective divisions more often, and the west coast teams in the AL less often. Great way to re-work the divisions. You keep historic rivalries in place and shift around other teams.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-10-2006, 02:30 AM

Two good options. Tampa, because they will never be able to compete, in that city, in that ballpark and in that division. The Twins because I hate them.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-10-2006, 06:09 AM
No Portland or OKC?

No Joliet?

Baby Fisk
03-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Burghermeister's proposal is good, but still hinges on a team going to Las Vegas. I think that once one professional sports league establishes a franchise there, other pro sports will follow. However no one wants to be the first one, so it's a stalemate.

mjharrison72
03-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I have another "other" proposal. What about Omaha or Des Moines?

Now, before you all fall out of your chairs laughing, don't forget Omaha is the home of the College World Series, and Des Moines has a pretty solid baseball following; many people will tell you there that their favorite team is not the cubs, but the "I-Cubs." Only people I've ever met who listen to minor-league ball on the radio.

Ideally, these two cities would be closer together... I think if they were only a half-hour or so apart, they could be a serious baseball city (not to mention that neither Iowa nor Nebraska currently has a major-league professional franchise). There are some loose loyalties to the Twins, Cubs, Cards and Royals among some, but I think a *real* team for the area would break through those loyalties.

The Omaha-Council Bluffs "metro area" is the 60th-largest in the country, with more than 800,000 people. Lincoln, which is about an hour away, has another 225,000 people. Des Moines is two hours away, but that's a metro area of nearly 500,000 more.

Now tell me I'm crazy.

Kwrubac
03-10-2006, 09:30 AM

I imagine heaven to be much like the scenario above, except the Sox never lose a game and Shoeless Joe is back on the team. :D:

ComiskeyBrewer
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
I have another "other" proposal. What about Omaha or Des Moines?

Now, before you all fall out of your chairs laughing, don't forget Omaha is the home of the College World Series, and Des Moines has a pretty solid baseball following; many people will tell you there that their favorite team is not the cubs, but the "I-Cubs." Only people I've ever met who listen to minor-league ball on the radio.

Ideally, these two cities would be closer together... I think if they were only a half-hour or so apart, they could be a serious baseball city (not to mention that neither Iowa nor Nebraska currently has a major-league professional franchise). There are some loose loyalties to the Twins, Cubs, Cards and Royals among some, but I think a *real* team for the area would break through those loyalties.

The Omaha-Council Bluffs "metro area" is the 60th-largest in the country, with more than 800,000 people. Lincoln, which is about an hour away, has another 225,000 people. Des Moines is two hours away, but that's a metro area of nearly 500,000 more.

Now tell me I'm crazy.

I don't think Nebraska could support a major league baseball team. I have actually talked to my gfs father about that(who lived in Omaha before moving to Wisconsin), he said there wouldn't be enough support. The only thing they get up for there is football. Personally, i don't think there are just enough people. They would have decent numbers the first year, but after the inital glow of having an MLB team in the area, they just wouldn't make any money. Think about it, they would need every single person in the Metro area to go to atleast 2 games to reach 1.6 million in attendence. That just wouldn't happen. Not to mention they would have to remodel Rosenblatt stadium(where they hold the CWS). Would they also still be able to keep the CWS there? They make a lot of cash off of that, and i doubt they would give that up. That takes place right in the midle of the regular season, so where would they play thier home games during that period? What divison would you put the team in? Either the NL or AL Central(too far east to put in any of the west divisons if you ask me).
Des Moines is just too small(500K would work for the city population, but not the entire area). It wouldn't work economically and the team would be moved within 4 years or would fold. Personally, i would rather see cities like OKC(as a last resort, beacuse of they would most likely have to be put in the NL/AL Central, and other teams would have to be moved around), Salt Lake, or Portland(would set up a natural rivalry with Seattle).

tick53
03-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Indianapolis is larger than Cleveland or Oakland and a couple other cities, but I don't think the support is there.

RKMeibalane
03-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I think many people on here know my vote goes for Indianapolis for any team that moves.... :D:

I'll second that. I'd love to see Miguel Cabrerra play eighty one games here.

Hitmen77
03-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Indianapolis is larger than Cleveland or Oakland and a couple other cities, but I don't think the support is there.

Is that based just on city or the whole metro area? Just looking at city is not useful because some huge metro areas have relatively small central cities (i.e. Boston) while other cities rank higher than the metro area would because their city limits encompass almost all the metro area.

According to this source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_statistical_are as_by_population
Oakland is in the 11th largest metro area, Cleveland in the 17th, and Indianapolis in the 35th. And for all you Vegas lovers out there, it's metro area is 32nd.

My preference would be for MLB to contract Florida and Tampa Bay, but that'll never happen. I think the most viable spot for an MLB team to relocate to is New Jersey, but that'll never happen. After that, I don't think there are any good places to locate a team.

So, what MLB is stuck with is a 30 team league and only 26 or so places to legitimately support a franchise under today's economics.

SoxEd
03-11-2006, 02:38 PM
C'mon Hangar, what did you expect?

1) the Marlins are owned by Loria, and;

2) they play in TEAL.

As in 'the Florida Marlins are a Major League Baseball Club'.
:redneck

Seriously though:

Vegas?
NO - I think the gambling issue would be an insurmountable problem for MLB - as could the transient nature of much of Vegas' Baseball-hungry public, which would (I guess) be mostly comprised of Tourists.

There's NO WAY Nevada puts the nix on Gambling, so I think we can rule out LV as a destination.

San AN?
NO - CAN TX support three teams?
If so, stick them in the NL W and reorganise the Leagues like SoxintheBurgh suggested.
Everyone (except the contractees) is happy. And they get compensation from MLB to blunt their disappointment.

Orlando?
You'rehavinaLARFain'tcha?
It's still in FLA, which suggests to me that any franchise there would fail - even if it WAS sponsored by Disney and called 'the Mighty Mice'.

Other?
SI! - I say send 'em to New Jersey/NYC, but strip Loria of ownership, on the grounds of his peerlessly-awful track record of owning Franchises.
No compensation for him either! (To make it appear that Bud could give a rodent's rear-end about the ordinary fans.)

This solution breaks up the stranglehold on the AL E that NYY & the WrongSox have, because it spreads all that East Coast Market cash around.

It might annoy/weaken the Mets mind...

Or, how about moving them to Montreal?
:duck:

tick53
03-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Is that based just on city or the whole metro area? Just looking at city is not useful because some huge metro areas have relatively small central cities (i.e. Boston) while other cities rank higher than the metro area would because their city limits encompass almost all the metro area.

According to this source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_statistical_are as_by_population
Oakland is in the 11th largest metro area, Cleveland in the 17th, and Indianapolis in the 35th. And for all you Vegas lovers out there, it's metro area is 32nd.

My preference would be for MLB to contract Florida and Tampa Bay, but that'll never happen. I think the most viable spot for an MLB team to relocate to is New Jersey, but that'll never happen. After that, I don't think there are any good places to locate a team.

So, what MLB is stuck with is a 30 team league and only 26 or so places to legitimately support a franchise under today's economics.

You are correct, the Indianapolis metro area is not that large. The city
continues to grow outward, but it does'nt have the sprawl that the other
you mentioned do. My oldest brother has lived in Las Vegas for almost 40
years now and when I spoke to him of the possibility of Vegas ever becom-
ing a MLB town, he replied, Vegas will only support a winner.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Portland, Oregon

JohnBasedowYoda
03-12-2006, 12:09 PM
You are correct, the Indianapolis metro area is not that large. The city
continues to grow outward, but it does'nt have the sprawl that the other
you mentioned do. My oldest brother has lived in Las Vegas for almost 40
years now and when I spoke to him of the possibility of Vegas ever becom-
ing a MLB town, he replied, Vegas will only support a winner.

Indy already has a minor-league team. The Indy Indians, the AAA team fo the Pirates.

Lip Man 1
03-12-2006, 12:24 PM
ESPN.com is reporting today the Marlins are now looking closely at San Antonio. The story explains who may be involved from the city standpoint. It talks about 'Red' McCombs and potentially Nolan Ryan.

Lip

nedlug
03-13-2006, 09:25 AM
however, weather also brings about an interesting debate: how many players would want to play 80 games in the desert heat? ive been out there in June, and it is brutal. sure it gets hot all over the country, but not for the long extended periods of time as it does in Vegas. Chicago will hit 100 maybe 8 or 9 times in a summer. Vegas hits it almost every day. not a hijack, just a query to ponder when discussing vegas as an MLB option...

http://www.autographedtoyou.com/celebpics/dusty_baker5.jpg

"Oh, well, that problem is simple to solve..."

NorthSideSox72
03-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Las Vegas seems to have the most positives going for it - population growth, hispanic population, size, weather (though hot), transportation, no teams nearby, etc. Portland has a fair amount too, but they seem less than anxious to build a stadium. San Antonio has much the same positives as Vegas, but to lesser extents.

Des Moines, Omaha and OKC are all not big enough, aren't growing a lot and are not that far from existing teams.

I'll throw in my suggestion. This is a metro of around 1 million, growing fast, large hispanic population, ideal weather, no team for hundreds of miles in any direction, has another city of 3/4 million within a 3 hour drive and one of 300k within less than an hour, and has a rapidly growing business base with all the money that goes with it.

Sounds pretty ideal, doesn't it? Who wants to guess what city i am referring to?

The Racehorse
03-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Keeping the Marlins in Miami is in baseball's best interest. As OL2 alluded to earlier, it makes sense keeping them in Miami.

If they're moved, move them to the Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News area so I can have a good reason to drive down there on a weekend.
I know it's long odds of it happening.

NWSox
03-14-2006, 02:45 AM
It's nice to read all the folks from the Midwest talk like experts about what Portland is willing or not willing to do. Portland has a stadium plan in place and is actively campaigning for a team. What the city and the state refuse to do is build a stadium on the come or offer any kind of subsidy for a team to locate here. In all likelihood, a team won't move here, but only because the market isn't perceived to have the right "potential." For a city without a baseball or football franchise, though, it has consistently high TV ratings for those sports.

TDog
03-14-2006, 04:44 AM

MIAMI

Bingo!

I just came here to see how many misguided people would pick Las Vegas, and I stumbled onto an intelligent post.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Indy already has a minor-league team. The Indy Indians, the AAA team fo the Pirates.

Not to mention that the stadium they play in is one of the best in the Minors. It really is beautiful, and very recently built. I doubt they would want to spend more money on expanding it or building a new stadium.

palehozenychicty
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM

Exactly. if MLB contracted the marlins, rockies, and d'rays, teams would have much greater fiscal and personnel depth.