PDA

View Full Version : Owens is now a longshot (no pun intended)

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 10:54 AM
With Cintron now on the team, it means Mackowiak will probably be used at 3B and OF, meaning last spot will be an outfielder. Jerry Owens has a real shot at making this team. Im impressed, if he does, Longshot called it ....

mjharrison72
03-09-2006, 11:16 AM
I mean, if it's down to Borchard vs. Owens, Owens is more the type of guy we'd want coming off the bench, right? Or do we hang on to Borchard because he's out of options and we don't want to lose him, still see his potential, and because Owens could use another year in the minors to develop rather than sitting on the bench for most of the season?

I think in this sort of situation, and for this year and in the near future, it's important to consider the long view. We won our championship... now it's time to put the pieces in place to create a dynasty!

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Borchard or Gload will either have to be traded or put on waivers because one of those 2 guys (and maybe both) won't be on the 25 man roster when the season starts.

Randar68
03-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I mean, if it's down to Borchard vs. Owens, Owens is more the type of guy we'd want coming off the bench, right? Or do we hang on to Borchard because he's out of options and we don't want to lose him, still see his potential, and because Owens could use another year in the minors to develop rather than sitting on the bench for most of the season?

I think in this sort of situation, and for this year and in the near future, it's important to consider the long view. We won our championship... now it's time to put the pieces in place to create a dynasty!

Owens was out of baseball for 4 years at one point. He needs all the AB's he can get and AAA is where he will get them.

He will NOT be making this team.

The last spot comes down to this:
Borchard or Gload or 12th pitcher.

hold2dibber
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Owens was out of baseball for 4 years at one point. He needs all the AB's he can get and AAA is where he will get them.

He will NOT be making this team.

The last spot comes down to this:
Borchard or Gload or 12th pitcher.

Bingo (although I think a 12th pitcher is very unlikely, at least at season's start).

He gone
03-09-2006, 02:22 PM
because Owens could use another year in the minors to develop rather than sitting on the bench for most of the season?

I agree. Let him get ABs. I'm actually more impressed with Ryan Sweeney, but he too needs his ABs. Borchard and/or Gload is a more logical choice.

White Sox Randy
03-09-2006, 02:28 PM
He never was anything else.

The last question will be Gload or Borchard?

SoLongFrank
03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Ozzie talked up his speed on the basepads yesterday so I would say his odds have improved.

Banix12
03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Bingo (although I think a 12th pitcher is very unlikely, at least at season's start).

I could see them going with the 12th pitcher at some point. I know Ozzie is concerned that McCarthy is going to take a long time to warm up in the bullpen so he might want to take an extra guy who can get ready on a short notice. Don't know if the sox currently have anybody who I would want to carry as a 12th pitcher in camp right now though.

It's actually Borchard vs. Gload vs. 12th pitcher vs. other guys out of options that hit the waiver wire. Maybe even add other longshot non-prospects currently in the sox organization like Blakely or Ruben Rivera, though I would be shocked if those two are being seriously considered.

Chisox1500
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Without a real backup in center, I think Gload is the odd man out. Watch for a lot of pinch hitting strikeouts this year.

Banix12
03-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Without a real backup in center, I think Gload is the odd man out. Watch for a lot of pinch hitting strikeouts this year.

Mackowiak can backup center. He played 41 games there last season and has played over 100 games there in his major league career. You can also always move Pods over to center once and awhile if you need to. An extra backup in center isn't all that critical.

longshot7
03-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Good thread title. :smile:

I predicted it, so I'm sticking with it: Jerry Owens will be the Rookie of the Year, whether or not he makes this team out of Spring Training.

SkeetSkeetAmit
03-09-2006, 11:18 PM
I would love Owens to make the team, however, like people above, I really want him and Sweeney to get the AB's they need at AAA, and then when we rap up the division, get called up to get some big league experience. With that said, I would really like to keep Gload since he can play OF and 1B. I don't want Thome to play 1B at all and have a chance to get hurt. Just DH big man. Also, I've never really been a fan of Borchard. I don't hate him, but I like Gload better.