PDA

View Full Version : WSI Gatherings on St. Pat's Weekend in Tucson?

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Okay, the Sox play Fri. (Texas) and Sat. (Cubs), so a bunch of us are gonna be in Tucson at some point that weekend. Since I don't know very much about Tucson, I PM'ed Michned who lives there, and he came up with the name of a sports bar in North Tucson that looks pretty good.

http://www.putneystucson.com/

Also, what about a brunch on Saturday before the game? Call it a hunch, but some of you guys will probably overdo the St. Pat's Day celebrating the night before and may be in dire need of eggs and bacon, pancakes, strong coffee, etc. Anyway, there's a coffee shop called Country Folks at 1015 Benson Hwy. that's pretty decent. You exit I-10 at Benson to get to TEP anyway, and this joint is just past the first intersection, on the left. It's also only about 5 minutes or so from the park. So how's 10-10:30 am sound?

Finally, does anybody else have anything planned or any other ideas?

manders_01
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Okay, the Sox play Fri. (Texas) and Sat. (Cubs), so a bunch of us are gonna be in Tucson at some point that weekend. Since I don't know very much about Tucson, I PM'ed Michned who lives there, and he came up with the name of a sports bar in North Tucson that looks pretty good.

Also, what about a brunch on Saturday before the game? Call it a hunch, but some of you guys will probably overdo the St. Pat's Day celebrating the night before and may be in dire need of eggs and bacon, pancakes, strong coffee, etc. Anyway, there's a coffee shop called Country Folks at 1015 Benson Hwy. that's pretty decent. You exit I-10 at Benson to get to TEP anyway, and this joint is just past the first intersection, on the left. It's also only about 5 minutes or so from the park. So how's 10-10:30 am sound?

A sports bar might be perfect since the NCAA tourney will have start by then and we can catch that on TV!

I'm in for any fun we can cook up MarySwiss! Brunch sounds good - hopefully I can drag myself out of bed that early! :tongue:

FoulkeFan
03-09-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm flying in Friday night and so I'm probably out for the St. Pat's day festivities but anything before or after (or during!) the game on Saturday would be great.

pdimas
03-09-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm down for a get together. Like I mentioned to manders I'll be the only single guy flying down with a couple of married men. On second thought considering that these are married men away from their wives on St. Patty's day I have a feeling things may get out of control :smile: . Actually throw in my uncle and a few other family friends and Realist I know its gonna get out of control :gulp: .

I'll be getting in on Thursday morning. My dad and cwsfannick get in Wednesday evening. So I'll check to see what you guys post.

:gulp: Hey Marco here's to getting drunk and belligerent with the coeds in Arizona! :gulp:

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm flying in Friday night and so I'm probably out for the St. Pat's day festivities but anything before or after (or during!) the game on Saturday would be great.

During? Now that's a possibility! That's the one place we all know we're going to be, so anyone have any suggestions as to where to meet inside the park? IIRC, Michned's seats aren't too far away from mine (behind home plate leaning toward the Sox dugout). So where is everybody else?

manders_01
03-09-2006, 12:45 PM
During? Now that's a possibility! That's the one place we all know we're going to be, so anyone have any suggestions as to where to meet inside the park? IIRC, Michned's seats aren't too far away from mine (behind home plate leaning toward the Sox dugout). So where is everybody else?

I'm on the lawn both TEP games.

manders_01
03-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I'll be getting in on Thursday morning. My dad and cwsfannick get in Wednesday evening. So I'll check to see what you guys post.

I'm getting into Phoenix Thursday morning and am driving down to Tucson. If there are any WSIers that need a ride, don't have enough room in their car for luggage, etc. let me know, I'd be happy to help out.

FoulkeFan
03-09-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm in section B (the metal bleachers) for the Saturday game. I should have just bought lawn seats but I didn't realize where the seats were until afterwards!

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know whether fans can move freely between sections? Like if you're on the lawn, do you have access to the rest of the park. I think so, but I just really never paid much attention. Because if so, then maybe we can just say, "let's all meet at the concession stand nearest the Sox dugout after the fourth inning and have a beer" or something like that.

:gulp:

michned
03-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know whether fans can move freely between sections? Like if you're on the lawn, do you have access to the rest of the park. I think so, but I just really never paid much attention. Because if so, then maybe we can just say, "let's all meet at the concession stand nearest the Sox dugout after the fourth inning and have a beer" or something like that.

I think that is a great idea. You can move freely around the park, and a great place to meet might be the concourse by Gate A (the entrance/exit down the first base line). There is quite a bit of room there (right by the kettle corn booth :tongue: ).

MarySwiss
03-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I think that is a great idea. You can move freely around the park, and a great place to meet might be the concourse by Gate A (the entrance/exit down the first base line). There is quite a bit of room there (right by the kettle corn booth :tongue: ).

OKAY! Thanks, guy! So how about we meet there? After the second inning sound good?

Meanwhile, I and Mr.MarySwiss will be doing the brunch thing at Country Folks before the game. Be great to see you there!

manders_01
03-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Is anyone getting in on Thursday? I was thinking of heading somewhere to watch the U of I game, possibly the sports bar Michned suggested earlier in this post - anyone care to join me?

pdimas
03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Is anyone getting in on Thursday? I was thinking of heading somewhere to watch the U of I game, possibly the sports bar Michned suggested earlier in this post - anyone care to join me?

I should be in by Thursday. I had to change my Wednesday flight and might either fly later Wednesday or early Thursday. My dad and my buddy Nick will be in by Wednesday and I know they wanted to watch the game as well.

manders_01
03-13-2006, 02:24 PM
I should be in by Thursday. I had to change my Wednesday flight and might either fly later Wednesday or early Thursday. My dad and my buddy Nick will be in by Wednesday and I know they wanted to watch the game as well.

Cool - I'm into Phoenix early Thursday so I will have plenty of time to get to Tucson, etc. Looks like tip-off is at 5:25 AZ time.

MarySwiss
03-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Cool - I'm into Phoenix early Thursday so I will have plenty of time to get to Tucson, etc. Looks like tip-off is at 5:25 AZ time.

Reminder: I posted in another thread a few weeks ago a warning about possible construction delays on I-10 as you approach Tucson, about 25 miles out.

We're not coming down until Saturday--I'm just too damned busy this week!--but we still plan to go to Country Folks for breakfast as I mentioned earlier, Should get there around 10:45-11:00 if anyone wants to join us.

Also, unless someone has another idea, let's go with Michned's suggestion about meeting at the park at the concourse by Gate A (the entrance/exit down the first base line). Game starts at 1:05, so how's 12:30? Or we could go with my previous suggestion of after the second inning?

manders_01
03-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Game starts at 1:05, so how's 12:30? Or we could go with my previous suggestion of after the second inning?

I'd rather meet before the game starts so I don't miss any of the action. But that's personal preference, I'll go with what the masses decide.:D:

MarySwiss
03-13-2006, 05:34 PM
In a thread in the Parking Lot, it was announced that the Catholic bishop in Tucson issued a dispensation, allowing meat to be consumed this coming Friday (St. Patrick's Day).

It was also noted that the bishop is a Sox fan and former auxiliary bishop of Chicago. (I tell ya; we're everywhere!) :cool:

So Sox fans at the Sox/Rangers game, enjoy those hot dogs!

WestSider
03-14-2006, 09:54 AM
We will be at the games in Tucson Friday (17th vs. Rangers) and Saturday (18th vs. Cubs). We will be tailgating in the "RV area" (small, easy to find) and are in a Tioga RV. We will have a "White Sox World Series Champions" banner attached to the RV!

We will be there both days before 11:00am.

We'd be happy to have our RV as a "before game" meeting place for anyone. We have a grill too, so if you want to grill something, bring it over.

Hope to see everyone on Friday and Saturday!

I also posted in the Spring Training thread - http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65335&page=4 - we will be at other games during the week, anyone is welcome to join us anytime for pre-game and post-game festivities.

manders_01
03-14-2006, 02:04 PM
We will be at the games in Tucson Friday (17th vs. Rangers) and Saturday (18th vs. Cubs). We will be tailgating in the "RV area" (small, easy to find) and are in a Tioga RV. We will have a "White Sox World Series Champions" banner attached to the RV!

We will be there both days before 11:00am.

We'd be happy to have our RV as a "before game" meeting place for anyone. We have a grill too, so if you want to grill something, bring it over.

Hope to see everyone on Friday and Saturday!

I also posted in the Spring Training thread - http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65335&page=4 - we will be at other games during the week, anyone is welcome to join us anytime for pre-game and post-game festivities.

I might stop by Westsider. I'm keeping my options very open so we'll see what's going on Fri and Sat morning. Thanks for the invite! :smile:

ode to veeck
03-14-2006, 04:06 PM

I just got my three seats in the mail for Saturday and we'll try to get down from Phoenix early enough to make the brunch at Country Folks. Look for us with the "Hell Ya, I'm a Sox Fan!" T-shirts on.

MarySwiss
03-14-2006, 04:19 PM
I just got my three seats in the mail for Saturday and we'll try to get down from Phoenix early enough to make the brunch at Country Folks. Look for us with the "Hell Ya, I'm a Sox Fan!" T-shirts on.

Just answered your post in Traveling to Spring Training with seat info. You're not too far away from us, and I believe Michned is nearby also.

I'll be in my Konerko road jersey with the 1983 cap. There's also a post in here about tailgating and another that we meet at the concourse by Gate A around 12:30.

Looks like WSI will be well-represented at the Sox/Cubs game!:D:

manders_01
03-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm in the lawn for both games but will see you all at minimum when we meet at concourse A. I'll have on a black & white checked shirt with SOX on the front for Friday and a pink shirt & hat on Saturday.

michned
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
In a thread in the Parking Lot, it was announced that the Catholic bishop in Tucson issued a dispensation, allowing meat to be consumed this coming Friday (St. Patrick's Day).

It was also noted that the bishop is a Sox fan and former auxiliary bishop of Chicago. (I tell ya; we're everywhere!) :cool:

So Sox fans at the Sox/Rangers game, enjoy those hot dogs!
Now that is awesome! Bishop Kicanis has always told anyone who will listen what a huge Sox fan he is.

michned
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Just answered your post in Traveling to Spring Training with seat info. You're not too far away from us, and I believe Michned is nearby also.
I'm in 106, Row 1, Seats 1 and 2 (me and Uecker :D:).

WestSider
03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
It's Friday morning the 17th. Don't forget if you are coming to the game in Tucson today to stop by our RV in the parking lot and say hi. We'll get there about 10:30am today for tailgating and we'll be there today and tomorrow.

Details here: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1059409&postcount=58