PDA

View Full Version : Are Cubs fans really this stupid!?

Kwrubac
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Maybe I just happen to know some particularly stupid North Siders, but they are acting like spring training is the regular season. I have heard from so many of them "How are you enjoying Spring Training?" and other stupid Cub fan remarks. Do they not realize that a) the games mean nothing and b) its a time to evaluate the potential of future starters as well as getting the actual starters back into baseball mode...Please tell me I'm not the only one with friends this stupid...:redneck

MarySwiss
03-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Maybe I just happen to know some particularly stupid North Siders, but they are acting like spring training is the regular season. I have heard from so many of them "How are you enjoying Spring Training?" and other stupid Cub fan remarks. Do they not realize that a) the games mean nothing and b) its a time to evaluate the potential of future starters as well as getting the actual starters back into baseball mode...Please tell me I'm not the only one with friends this stupid...:redneck

It's all they have. What else are they going to say?

gbergman
03-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Whens Hangar going to see this bet he will enlighten us all:D:

Kwrubac
03-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I would be honored to have the creator of the "World Series Trophy" comment on this...his insight is always amusing :smile:

TheDarkGundam
03-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Here's what I got today:
cub fan:"oh and six! oh and six!"
Me: "They aren't 0-6 anymore. They won yesterday."
Cub fan: "Okay, one and six! one and six!
Me: "1908! 1908!"
cub fan: "Quit living in the past!"
Me: :rolleyes:

SoxFan76
03-08-2006, 07:55 PM

Just tell them this: (and who cares if it's BS)

The Sox are the defending World Champs. They have nothing to prove during spring training. The Cubs, however, are coming off a 4th place finish and are projected to finish 4th again. As far as they're concerned, they just want to build up confidence going into the season considering they have no shot at postseason play!

Soxfanspcu11
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Are these people mentally disabled?? I'm serious.

It's Spring Training. :?:

ChiSoxLifer
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
You can remind them that the White Sox finished 14 and 18 last year in ST. Correct me if I'm wrong, they also started 2 and 6. We all know what happened after that.

Oh yah, to answer your question it's a definite "YES".

Goodman6
03-08-2006, 08:52 PM

Cub fans are that stupid everywhere. Today, at work, I was reminded by some idiotic Cub fan that the Cubs are currently 3 games ahead of the White Sox (Cubs are 4-3, Sox 2-7 in Spring Training). My response was:

Your team can win their games in March and then you and your team can watch us win our games in October.

Cub fans are just so green with envy over the Sox success that they are looking for anything to discredit the Sox World Championship. Believe me, if the Cubs were 2-7 in Spring Training, every Cub fan would be saying Spring Training means nothing.

SOecks
03-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I've gotten that response recently too and was floored that my friend, who knows baseball, would be so moronic even if he is a Cub fan. I just asked him if he realized the games don't count and he said "either way, they can't win a game". I just ended the conversation right there. Can't have discussions with the insanely stupid. I was very dissapointed in him. Oh well.

itsnotrequired
03-08-2006, 09:22 PM
<onlyhappenstoHangar>So I was in this bar the other night and these CLUELESS northsiders started yapping at ME about "their team" and how "this was the year". I shook my head and started to tell them how it REALLY is...</onlyhappenstoHangar>

:wink:

AnkleSox
03-08-2006, 10:33 PM
When the question is, "Are Cubs fans really this stupid?" the answer is always, "Yes."

soxjim
03-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Yes! Saw one at a HS basketball game tonight, cub fan in a cub hat and sox suck shirt passed my wife and me and told us that our SOX jackets and series hats were a disgrace to society. We both walked away and smiled.

thomas35forever
03-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I've been getting the same thing at school by some idiotic Cubs fan. I just keep saying "Who gives a **** about spring training games?" and "How are they relevant?"

Btw, this is the first time I'm testing the language filter.

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
What about when they say "Yeah, but who cares about the past? Its now that matters!"

I usually respond with "Yes...Spring Training really matters.."

soxwon
03-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Are these people mentally disabled?? I'm serious.

It's Spring Training. :?:

ive been saying for years- why doesnt some medical group do an investigation on the mentality of Cub Fans.
i would bet there is a gene in them, that ISNT in sox fans.
Im Serious- why wont a psychologist look into this?

kittle42
03-09-2006, 12:31 AM
ive been saying for years- why doesnt some medical group do an investigation on the mentality of Cub Fans.
i would bet there is a gene in them, that ISNT in sox fans.
Im Serious- why wont a psychologist look into this?

If you really are serious, I would suggest picking up some redmedial psychology and biology texts.

davenicholson
03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
If you really are serious, I would suggest picking up some redmedial psychology and biology texts.
:o:

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 09:53 AM
The answer is YES. From cheering for foul balls, to cheering for flyouts, to cheering for cheaters, wearing wildcard champion tshirts, to forgetting players, to cheering for replays, to not realizing their tickets are being scalped by the Tribune, to thinking they and the Yankees are the winningest franchises in history, to spewing daily that they have more "fans" at their games than we do .......... They are the Dumbest Fans Ive ever met.

White Sox Randy
03-09-2006, 10:05 AM
I tell them that I hope we finish 14 - 18.....just like last year.

By the way 2-7 now is the same as last year.

But,yes, flub fans are, by definition, stupid.

miker
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Ignoring these idiots (Cubbie fans) doesn't seem to be working...

...but exterminating them seems rather extreme, maybe there's a happy medium somewhere.

sullythered
03-09-2006, 10:37 AM
I just find it amusing. And I kind of feel bad for them. They're really stuck now. We all said after our Sox won it all that the argument is now over. Well, in truth, it really is. That's gotta be truly hard to grasp for somebody who's been arguing the wrong side of it for his/her whole life. Cub fans are grasping at straws. You all know it, and in thier hearts, they know it too.

CaptainBallz
03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Listen, this year more than ever, these dweebs are going to be all over EVERY little mishap/lost game/injury/slump that the Sox might experience this season. It's highly suspect that they'll have anything to get excited about up North, so their focus will be on Sox-hating. We can either let it get to us or smile at them and tell them how sooo right they are.

The average Flubs fan has proven their general ignorance and idiocy time and time again. It's useless.

Right now we have a trophy on tour, a flag that will soon be raised, and one of the best rosters in baseball going into the '06 season. There's too much to be positive about to even give these clowns the time of day.

palehozenychicty
03-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Listen, this year more than ever, these dweebs are going to be all over EVERY little mishap/lost game/injury/slump that the Sox might experience this season. It's highly suspect that they'll have anything to get excited about up North, so their focus will be on Sox-hating. We can either let it get to us or smile at them and tell them how sooo right they are.

The average Flubs fan has proven their general ignorance and idiocy time and time again. It's useless.

Right now we have a trophy on tour, a flag that will soon be raised, and one of the best rosters in baseball going into the '06 season. There's too much to be positive about to even give these clowns the time of day.

The end of the Cubs as chicago's team is here. and they know it.

Hitmen77
03-09-2006, 12:15 PM

Bingo. We all know that even if the Sox repeat, they'll still go through slumps and losing streaks as all teams do. Expect the Cub fans to come out of the wood work every time the Sox hit one of these slumps. It's the only thing those desperate fans have now.

Just look at last year. The Sox were totally on fire most of the season and all I heard around town most of last year was how the Cubs were making a run for the playoffs. :?: Remember how at first the Sox were in 1st place "only because they were playing easy teams"? Then, once we faced everyone and were still in first, it became the Sox are in 1st place "only because they are lucky".

There's no use arguing with them. I agree with the "smile, shake your head, laugh, and walk away" approach.

MM2112
03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
what I dont understand is why Cub fans are talking smack at all?

when someone kicks sand in your face and then steals your girlfriend...do you make fun of them?

Dick Allen
03-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Ignoring these idiots (Cubbie fans) doesn't seem to be working...

...but exterminating them seems rather extreme, maybe there's a happy medium somewhere.No, exterminating works for me.

CaptainBallz
03-09-2006, 01:21 PM
what I dont understand is why Cub fans are talking smack at all?

when someone kicks sand in your face and then steals your girlfriend...do you make fun of them?

You had to bring that up, didn't you? :whiner:

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Just look at last year. The Sox were totally on fire most of the season and all I heard around town most of last year was how the Cubs were making a run for the playoffs. :?:
Remember how at first the Sox were in 1st place "only because they were playing easy teams"?

Then, once we faced everyone and were still in first, it became the Sox are in 1st place "only because they are lucky".

Whats Disturbing about all of this ...........is this is what THE CHICAGO MEDIA WAS REPORTING ALL SEASON. Cub fans being the sheep they are, just repeat what they hear in the Media. And the cycle continues ....

TDog
03-09-2006, 01:34 PM
When I lived in Arizona, I used to go to spring training games. It was a great environment. I never paid attention to wins and losses, though. I saw when I was a kid that teams that have a lot of players trying to make the team often beat up on good established teams. Even the Sox-Cubs games don't mean as much as they used to because the teams face each other during the regular season.

This year's exhibition standings will mean even less, with many players completing in the WBC.

mccoydp
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Are Cubs fans really that stupid? In a word, yes.

chuckn98229
03-09-2006, 02:12 PM
As pathetic as it may be, cheering a spring training win is all they have. Unfortunately, their delusions of greatness are fostered and encouraged by the cubune and the majority of the Chicago media. However, we should be somewhat understanding with them because their minds have been addled by blue kool-aid and there is no telling what heinous acts they are capable of as the drugs wear-off and they scrounge-around for their next fix. Just thank heaven that we have been blessed with baseball wisdom and say a little prayer for our misguided friends.

Hangar18
03-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Are Cubs fans really that stupid? In a word, yes.

When Im chatting with fans of other teams about this subject, I tell them to really believe me because im being extremely honest, and not because I dont like that team either ............. they are the dumbest fans I have ever met. Whats so perplexing is that we are both in the same city, so completely different from each other. Since I was a kid, and first noticing this, I wondered if other fanbases could be as dumb as they were, or if other 2 team cities experience this.

SoLongFrank
03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Please remind Cub fans of harsh cold reality:

2005 Loser Cubs vs NL East 11-23, NL Central 43-36, NL West 19-15
-12, +7, +4
2005 White Sox vs AL East 20-13, AL Central 52-22, AL West 15-22
+7, +30, -7

Then ask them how much improvement are they expecting & why? :D:
The fans are just like management they look at themselves on an island completely ignorant of the competition. Thank God we have Kenny. He's always looking at the competition. He'll even make moves to keep players from going there.

DieTrying79
03-09-2006, 11:02 PM
As pathetic as it may be, cheering a spring training win is all they have. Unfortunately, their delusions of greatness are fostered and encouraged by the cubune and the majority of the Chicago media. However, we should be somewhat understanding with them because their minds have been addled by blue kool-aid and there is no telling what heinous acts they are capable of as the drugs wear-off and they scrounge-around for their next fix. Just thank heaven that we have been blessed with baseball wisdom and say a little prayer for our misguided friends.

Thank you for that passage of wisdom that only a Sox fan could bestow!

Kwrubac
03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Just thank heaven that we have been blessed with baseball wisdom and say a little prayer for our misguided friends.

I don't pray for them, I try to convert them and open their eyes to the truth. Especially if you live on the South Side, it's like cmon who are you kidding. They need to embrace their heritage and the loyalty that is shown by the Sox players, I think PK staying not only speaks for how proud he of his team, but how much he loves his fans. That's hard to find and as we see doesn't exist with that other Chicago team.

chisoxmike
03-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I asked a friend of mine who is a Cubs fan the other night if she saw Derek Lee hit a home run in the WBC. She replied "Who's Derek Lee?" I wish I could make that up.

Jurr
03-11-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't pray for them, I try to convert them and open their eyes to the truth. Especially if you live on the South Side, it's like cmon who are you kidding. They need to embrace their heritage and the loyalty that is shown by the Sox players, I think PK staying not only speaks for how proud he of his team, but how much he loves his fans. That's hard to find and as we see doesn't exist with that other Chicago team.
NOOOOO!!!! We don't need U.S. Cellular to start reeking of urine and ignorance. Let the Cub fans dwell in their delirium.

johnr1note
03-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I asked a friend of mine who is a Cubs fan the other night if she saw Derek Lee hit a home run in the WBC. She replied "Who's Derek Lee?" I wish I could make that up.

This is actually only all too common.

We had a scene in church a few weeks ago. A teenage girl got up to sing a song, in a Cubs jersey. That's fine, but the Cub fans in the congregation got up all charged up and hollered and made a big deal about this. Afterwards, i commented that i thought the display was inappropreate considering the setting. A friend of mine commented -- "Get used to it. For every Sox fan, there are 10 Cub fans. That's why we're so great." or something like that. I told him with that logic, we should all be eating ice cream instead of Broccoli, because ice cream is more popular, it MUST be better for us. He then stated that "at least the Cubs beat the Sox in the season series this year." I corrected him, saying they split the 6 games. He insisted. Wanted to make a wager. (Only a fool makes wagers with a die hard Sox fan like me about baseball statistics!). I suggested our houses. He said, "Come on, I'm serious. Let's make a bet." I suggested $10,000. He didn't get the hint. Finally we settled on dinner at the resturaunt of the winner's choice. I haven't gone back with the proof to collect yet. I'm going to let him twist in the wind for a while.

RealMenWearBlack
03-13-2006, 12:43 PM
This is actually only all too common.

We had a scene in church a few weeks ago. A teenage girl got up to sing a song, in a Cubs jersey.

How can she wear a sport's jersey to church? Is it just me or is that really tacky, especially considering she was singing in front of everyone?

Hangar18
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
YES, the answer to this question is YES, they really are

pasquasroachclip
03-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Talk about stupid Cub fans, I went to the grocery store yesterday with my 4 yr old son, who was wearing his Sox jacket. The cashier complimented him on his jacket, which led to the the following conversation between two of the baggers (a guy and a girl), who were obviously Cub fans:

guy: "The Sox were lucky, they ain't gonna win it again"

girl: "Just because they won the World Series doesn't mean they're better" :?:

How can you argue with such fool-proof logic?

Kwrubac
03-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Talk about stupid Cub fans, I went to the grocery store yesterday with my 4 yr old son, who was wearing his Sox jacket. The cashier complimented him on his jacket, which led to the the following conversation between two of the baggers (a guy and a girl), who were obviously Cub fans:

guy: "The Sox were lucky, they ain't gonna win it again"

girl: "Just because they won the World Series doesn't mean they're better" :?:

How can you argue with such fool-proof logic?

Your poor son being exposed to such a high level of stupidity at a young age...it had to of been traumatic...I would recommend a trip to FUNdamentals a hot dog and two churros to cure him...

miker
03-16-2006, 11:30 AM
No, exterminating works for me.
Well, desperate times call for desperate measures...

Hangar18
03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
YES, in a nutshell, these are the dumbest fans in baseball.

SOXPHILE
03-16-2006, 11:49 AM
YES, in a nutshell, these are the dumbest fans in sports.

Fixed it for you.:cool:

itsnotrequired
03-16-2006, 11:51 AM
If I was a true Cub fan, I would be so bummed out right now. The team is led by a goofball front office and owned by a company that cares more about the bottom line than fielding a winner. My stadium is over-run with frat boys, trixies, mindless sheep from Iowa, etc. Man, it would be a rough go...

I wonder if there will be a somewhat similar situation this year at the Sox games? You know that there are going to be a lot more "baseball illiterate" people coming to the games. Will Sox fans become as disillusioned?

Tekijawa
03-16-2006, 12:11 PM
What about when they say "Yeah, but who cares about the past? Its now that matters!"

Technically aren't those spring training records in the past? So if Cubs fans aren't concerned with the past then that proves the theory that they don't care about a teams record, because they are living for the moment. With this, it would follow, that they really don't care about the score either because technically that is in the past also. Which would, in turn, beg the question of why watch a game if the score doesn't matter, because records don't matter, because the past doesn't matter... It's enough to drive a person to drinking excessively and always living for the next hour. No, Day! No, Wait! Next year!

TomBradley72
03-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Very tough road indeed.

Finish in 4th place behind the Milwaukee Brewers in 2005 w/a 79-83 record. Your 24th losing season in the last 32 years.
Miss out on any major offseason acquisitions (ie. Furcal, Tejada, another starter)....enter the year with Murton/Jones/Cedeno/Perez as 50% of your everyday starting line up.
Offer misleading/half hearted information on the foundation of ANY potential success on the playing field (Prior/Wood)...while...
Continuing to market your ballpark, sunshine, vines, etc....set records for advanced ticket sales, and then all of a sudden...
Both your star pitchers turn up with knee surgery, shoulder exams just as the advanced tickets sales efforts begin to slow down
And then when your fans call to buy tickets...they are steered towards your inhouse ticket scalping operation.
You complete your "renovation" project so you now have room for ~2000 more lemmings/game to sit in the Budweiser Bleachers, the right field corner "box seats", and your special enclosed restaurant in CF...and of course the best seats in town: on a rooftop across the street from the crumbling old ballpark.
But hey....once Prior/Wood are healthy, and with Felix Pie waiting in the wings, and with Dusty's ability to attract great free agents...2007 is our year!:bluerock

CaptainBallz
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Very tough road indeed.

Finish in 4th place behind the Milwaukee Brewers in 2005 w/a 79-83 record. Your 24th losing season in the last 32 years.
Miss out on any major offseason acquisitions (ie. Furcal, Tejada, another starter)....enter the year with Murton/Jones/Cedeno/Perez as 50% of your everyday starting line up.
Offer misleading/half hearted information on the foundation of ANY potential success on the playing field (Prior/Wood)...while...
Continuing to market your ballpark, sunshine, vines, etc....set records for advanced ticket sales, and then all of a sudden...
Both your star pitchers turn up with knee surgery, shoulder exams just as the advanced tickets sales efforts begin to slow down
And then when your fans call to buy tickets...they are steered towards your inhouse ticket scalping operation.
You complete your "renovation" project so you now have room for ~2000 more lemmings/game to sit in the Budweiser Bleachers, the right field corner "box seats", and your special enclosed restaurant in CF...and of course the best seats in town: on a rooftop across the street from the crumbling old ballpark.
But hey....once Prior/Wood are healthy, and with Felix Pie waiting in the wings, and with Dusty's ability to attract great free agents...2007 is our year!:bluerock

But true fans don't let facts like those bother them. They have to stand behind their Cubbies!!

(See: Irresponsible Consumerism)

chuckn98229
03-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Consumers will continue to get what they are willing to buy. Especially if they are willing to pay big bucks to buy crap. There is no business motive to supply anything else as long as what is being offered is being purchased. If you could convince a bunch of idiots that a handful of cow manure was really a handful of gold - you would continue to sell them the manure as long as they would buy it, wouldn't you?

DumpJerry
03-16-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry, who are these "Cubs" everyone speaks of? Please explain......

Actually, don't bother, I'm busy cheering on the best team in major league baseball.