PDA

View Full Version : Arnie Munoz Outrighted

Grobber33
03-08-2006, 02:00 PM
...to Charlotte,,,meaning he'll have to clear waivers in order for the Sox to bring him back. But,the Sox have been pretty sucessful in doing just that---provided they indeed wanted to keep a player in that spot. Stats on Arnie as well as the traded Bajenaru at www.grobber.com

KRS1
03-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow!!! I'm shocked they didn't even give the guy more than 1 inning to prove himself. I guess the Sox feel they're set with Lopez.

Huisj
03-08-2006, 02:19 PM
For some weird reason, I've always hoped that Munoz would make it with the Sox. Don't ask me why, because I'm not really sure. I guess I just kind of enjoy it when a player from the Sox own system makes it with the team.

maurice
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Very strange. As Ozzie hinted, there must be more to this story.

hold2dibber
03-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Very strange. As Ozzie hinted, there must be more to this story.

Can you elaborate? I must have missed something. Why is it very strange? And what did Ozzie say/hint? I'm intrigued!

SOecks
03-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Didn't Ozzie call him weak minded and basically a wuss a couple of months ago? I don't think he had the stones Ozzie wanted for a guy on his club.

soxinem1
03-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Can you elaborate? I must have missed something. Why is it very strange? And what did Ozzie say/hint? I'm intrigued!

A few weeks ago Ozzie stated that he didn't think Munoz had the 'stones' to be effective, and that he was too timid. Of course if I gave up 11 runs in my ML debut I might not have left that good of an impression, either.

DaleJRFan
03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
A few weeks ago Ozzie stated that he didn't think Munoz had the 'stones' to be effective, and that he was too timid. Of course if I gave up 11 runs in my ML debut I might not have left that good of an impression, either.

Neal Cotts got his ass handed to him by the Yankees in one of his first career MLB starts and he seems to be doing just fine in his new role.

maurice
03-08-2006, 04:45 PM
It's also complicated by the fact that Munoz completely dominated in his only spring appearance (IIRC 1 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K). He looked much better than the competition IMHO, but got outrighted after only a single inning of work.

I don't have a problem with him failing to make the team, but it will be even stranger if they end up losing him for nothing, given the inherit value of left-handed pitchers in MLB. He's still only 23 years old.

wilburaga
03-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I've always had the feeling that Arnie's stay with the Sox was ill-fated ever since the Media Guide skipped over him in its 2004 edition. Went from Meaux to Olivo with nary a word on poor Arnie. Cruel.

W

soxinem1
03-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Neal Cotts got his ass handed to him by the Yankees in one of his first career MLB starts and he seems to be doing just fine in his new role.

True, but giving up 4-5 runs in 2/3 of an inning against a playoff team with 50K in the stands is nowhere near as bad as giving up 11 in 1 1/3 against the Expos, who were one of the worst offensive teams in baseball with 50 people in the stands while getting ready to go on a permanent road trip.

Plus, Cotts has way better stuff than Munoz. He reminds me of Juan Agosto in the 80's.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Ozzie said Munoz had a good fastball and curveball but he didn't know if he 'had the guts' to be successful.

Munoz is just another version of Matt Ginter, Larry Thomas, Bryan Ward ect. in other words nothing lost in the first place.

My personal opinion is that Williams is clearing out the deadwood and that he'll be on the lookout for pitching help in another week or so. One, perhaps two arms stolen off someone's major league roster.

We'll see...but after a week or so of games, no one has stepped up to claim anything even close to being dependable in middle relief.

Lip

JB98
03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Which other left-handers are still in the hunt for the open spot in the bullpen? Just Lopez and Almanza? I'd rather take another righty than have a lefty who can't get anybody out.

Regardless of what happens, we're in pretty good hands with Jenks, Cotts, Politte, Hermy and McCarthy.

Banix12
03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Which other left-handers are still in the hunt for the open spot in the bullpen? Just Lopez and Almanza? I'd rather take another righty than have a lefty who can't get anybody out.

Regardless of what happens, we're in pretty good hands with Jenks, Cotts, Politte, Hermy and McCarthy.

I actually would have figured Almanza to be gone before any of them. He hasn't done much to help his cause this spring. 5 ER in 2 1/3 innings, six hits and a walk.

It's Lopez, Almanza, and Reynoso left of the eight guys they brought in. Lopez is ahead of the rest right now.

Infallible
03-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Ozzie said Munoz had a good fastball and curveball but he didn't know if he 'had the guts' to be successful.
Lip

A good fastball? I don't recall seeing anything faster than 86mph come from him. His curveball had movement but it was low 70's high 60's and he'd get hit a ton. IMHO Arnie sucked. He has the same arm of a 40 y/o Jamie Moyer with none of the command, action, or variety.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Maybe he one of those guys who is older than his listed age?

BanditJimmy
03-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Jim Parque Jr in my book (Munoz). What has Corwin Malone done this Spring?

Banix12
03-09-2006, 01:29 AM
What has Corwin Malone done this Spring?

He was given a quick trip to minor league camp.

1 game, 1 inning, 0 ER, 3 R, 1 Hit, 3 walks, 2 K

doublem23
03-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Ozzie doesn't like Munoz so it looks like he's going to be getting El Caballo'ed.

munchman33
03-09-2006, 04:01 AM
We'll see...but after a week or so of games, no one has stepped up to claim anything even close to being dependable in middle relief.

Lip

Lopez has looked pretty dang good so far. And his stuff is just nasty.

hold2dibber
03-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Jim Parque Jr in my book (Munoz). What has Corwin Malone done this Spring?

I still contend that if Parque had stayed healthy, he would have turned into a valuable no. 4 starter type (180 IP, 4.25 ERA kind of guy). He was pretty good in 2000 and had a really gutsy start in the '00 playoffs. I still don't get why he gets so much ire from Sox fans.

maurice
03-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I still contend that if Parque had stayed healthy, he would have turned into a valuable no. 4 starter type (180 IP, 4.25 ERA kind of guy). He was pretty good in 2000 and had a really gutsy start in the '00 playoffs. I still don't get why he gets so much ire from Sox fans.

No kidding. Parque was 13-6 with a 4.28 ERA in 187 IP in 2000. He did pretty much the same in this playoff start. Most MLB teams would love to get production like that, espeially from a lefty.

A huge chunk of the pitching depth in the Sox organization simply got obliterated by injuries that year and never really recovered.

mccoydp
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Arnie is a minor leaguer, no doubt about it. Good move, Sox.