PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/8/06

Hangar18
03-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Seems like a slow sports newsday today for both teams. The other guys are creeping back very slowly.

Its sad that the White Sox, fresh off a World Series Championship, barely have equal media coverage when just last year at this time, the other team, fresh off another 3rd place finish, ran away with the media coverage by a 3 to 1 margin.....................................
Pathetic Chicago Media

Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings for Weds March 8, 2006
Priviledged Media-owned.... Cubs 55
Stepchild much maligned .... SOX 62

Hitmen77
03-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Seems like a slow sports newsday today for both teams. The other guys are creeping back very slowly.

Its sad that the White Sox, fresh off a World Series Championship, barely have equal media coverage when just last year at this time, the other team, fresh off another 3rd place finish, ran away with the media coverage by a 3 to 1 margin.

The Brewers are getting more media coverage than the Sox? :?:

Just kidding. I know you meant 4th place finish for that other team.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2006, 10:23 AM

Just kidding. I know you meant 4th place finish for that other team.

He's referring to the 2004 season. The Cubs did finish in 3rd place that season.

itsnotrequired
03-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
5 brewer stories
0 sox stories

Marquette Tribune:
2 brewer stories
0 sox stories

Priviledged Wisconsin-based.... Brewers 7
Stepchild much maligned WS CHAMPS.... SOX 0

Hitmen77
03-08-2006, 11:16 AM
He's referring to the 2004 season. The Cubs did finish in 3rd place that season.

Okay, makes perfect sense.

5 brewer stories
0 sox stories

Marquette Tribune:
2 brewer stories
0 sox stories

:kneeslap:

GoSox2K3
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM

Its sad that the White Sox, fresh off a World Series Championship, barely have equal media coverage when just last year at this time, the other team, fresh off another 3rd place finish, ran away with the media coverage by a 3 to 1 margin

When has the Cubs mediocre play ever stopped the media from favoring them? 3rd place, 5th place, it's all the same to these bozos. All they care about is pandering to the bigger fan base regardless of who is really newsworthy.

Like you said, it finally took a world championship for the Sox to get barely even coverage. That is sad. As has been mentioned here a few times, even before '05 the Sox have had a good number of 90 win seasons in recent years but never got any respect (less coverage, more negative slant to stories).

Here's another useless factoid: Number of times the Sox finished with at least the 2nd best record in the AL in the last 50 years: 13 - an average of less than every 4 years. (by the way this included 6 times before division play began and 7 times after division play began in '69).

Number of times a Chicago team has had at least the 2nd best record in the NL since 1945? Twice.

HebrewHammer
03-08-2006, 06:19 PM
5 brewer stories
0 sox stories

Marquette Tribune:
2 brewer stories
0 sox stories

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I came across this post 12 minutes before I left work. I am going to be smiling all the way home. I thoroughly endorse this new Media NewsWatch. Anyone live in St. Louis?

JohnBasedowYoda
03-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Didn't want to make a thread on this but I'm watching the George Lopez show and he's wearing a Buehrle jersey.

thomas35forever
03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Somebody should have started counting the stories in the Daily Herald too.

esbrechtel
03-09-2006, 04:01 PM
did you count injury stories? Theres always like a million stories on kerry wood's knee, elbow, etc....

kobo
03-09-2006, 04:54 PM
As long as the Tribune owns the Cubs the media coverage will always be biased. Let it go already.