PDA

View Full Version : SI article very positive.

PeteWard
03-08-2006, 03:21 AM
This team looks primed to repeat and I can't wait until the season starts.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2006/03/07/whitesox.postcard/index.html

Erik The Red
03-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Great article. :smile:

Bobbo35
03-08-2006, 08:00 AM
This team looks primed to repeat and I can't wait until the season starts.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2006/03/07/whitesox.postcard/index.html

That is a great article.

rdwj
03-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Wow - just wow!

My favorite line...

I searched. I hired three private detectives, working 12-hour shifts for three days each. Sorry. We couldn't find a weakness.
Wait. Here's one: a second lefty in the bullpen.
No kidding. That's the big problem here.

soxfanatlanta
03-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Nothing that we have not heard already, but it's nice that the Sox are getting some love from the media. Feeling pretty good about this year - they are going to be fun to watch.

Beer Can Chicken
03-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Nothing that we have not heard already, but it's nice that the Sox are getting some love from the media. Feeling pretty good about this year - they are going to be fun to watch.

I'm with that writer, I think B. Anderson is going to be GOOD.

doublem23
03-08-2006, 09:50 AM
This is a real nice change of pace to some of the crap that was being thrown about last year at this time.

:moron
Scott Podsednik for Carlos Lee? Clubhouse cancer A.J. Pierzynski? Jose "Not Worth a Dime" Contreras? Magglio allowed to walk... to a division rival? This formula will never work.

batmanZoSo
03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
You can't argue with anything said there. This is a great team, probably the best in the game. It's just a matter of staying healthy, keeping the same attitude and intensity they had last year and just going out and doing it. Anything less than a division title with a playoff run would be a big underachievement.

SOecks
03-08-2006, 10:05 AM
I didn't get my SI this week yet. Should I have? I can't even remember when it's supposed to arrive because I don't read it at all during football season.

Jurr
03-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm telling you..I think Frank vs. the Sox is going to spill into the playoffs!!!! How great would that be?

rdwj
03-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm telling you..I think Frank vs. the Sox is going to spill into the playoffs!!!! How great would that be?

I don't think ther eis much of a chance of Frank being around for the playoffs - unless it's in the same manner as last year - watching from the bench.

Hangar18
03-08-2006, 10:21 AM
.................... but it's nice that the Sox are getting some love from the media.

Sports Illustrated is a Bogus Rag. SI couldnt be bothered to put the White Sox on the cover of their magazine declaring that we won the WS. We were bumped in favor of Larry Bird and Ron Artest on the cover of the NBA issue.
Up in the corner ..........a teeny picture saying the SOX won the world series, something they hadnt done in 88 years. Nice.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Seriously, what can they really say negatively against this team? I mean, they just won the World Series, plus they have bolstered an already great pitching staff and offense. Those who can't see that have problems.

Hangar18
03-08-2006, 10:31 AM
And if im not mistaken, didnt that piece of crap rag of a sports weekly
also run a TV campaign after the 04 series declaring the RedSox as Champs "its been 86 years!" and offer some exclusive Boston memorabilia if you bought a subscription???

I dont remember them doing that for us ................but im not sure ......
did anyone see a bunch of SI tv commercials declaring the SOX as champs and "its been 88 long years!"?

I sent them a letter recently cancelling my subscription .....because my SI was paid in advance, it will run out by spring. :angry:

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I dont remember them doing that for us ................but im not sure ......did anyone see a bunch of SI tv commercials declaring the SOX as champs and "its been 88 long years!"?

It was all over sports stations on Cable TV. They had the World Series Champions hat and locker room shirt, as well as the World Series Commemorative Edition for subscribers.

skottyj242
03-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Sports Illustrated is a Bogus Rag. SI couldnt be bothered to put the White Sox on the cover of their magazine declaring that we won the WS. We were bumped in favor of Larry Bird and Ron Artest on the cover of the NBA issue.
Up in the corner ..........a teeny picture saying the SOX won the world series, something they hadnt done in 88 years. Nice.

I thought it was Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Weren't they playing against each other on Monday night or something?

Hangar18
03-08-2006, 10:38 AM
It was all over sports stations on Cable TV. They had the World Series Champions hat and locker room shirt, as well as the World Series Commemorative Edition for subscribers.

Well, thats why I asked. Thanks

Hangar18
03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I thought it was Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Weren't they playing against each other on Monday night or something?

SI's excuse was that the Series ended in the middle of the week ..........and it was before their deadline. BULL****

Iwritecode
03-08-2006, 10:44 AM

Collectable ball set, gold coin and hardcover commemorative book. (https://subs.timeinc.net/SI/si_ws05.jhtml?experience_id=116227&source_id=2)

I also have this magazine sitting at home:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1580607209.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I have that magazine as well; but, immediately following the World Series, they were offering the clubhouse package.

ondafarm
03-08-2006, 10:53 AM
SI does have some decent writers but just from the off-hand remarks in this article, it's clear the author hasn't visited Tucson Electric or USCF very much. The Sox are a solid playoff team and I don't know why none of the national rags seem to be spending much time on their coverage.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh that Hangar!

:rolleyes:

Lip

miker
03-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Seriously, what can they really say negatively against this team?
Don't give them any ideas...

spiffie
03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I like any article that reminds me of the George Foreman-like naming of children in the Lee family. I would :roflmao: until I :whiner: if there was a sister named Carlosita.

My only problems with articles like this is that it just makes me that much more impatient for April 2. The wait to defend the title seems that much longer than the wait to try and take the title ever was from year to year.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-08-2006, 12:52 PM
On a side note, Athlon says the Sox are good enough to repeat, even though they have the Yankees beating them in the ALCS. Lot of good things to say about the White Sox.

Iwritecode
03-08-2006, 12:57 PM
I like any article that reminds me of the George Foreman-like naming of children in the Lee family. I would :roflmao: until I :whiner: if there was a sister named Carlosita.

Isn't it Magglio that has a daughter who's name is quite similair to his?

ode to veeck
03-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Collectable ball set, gold coin and hardcover commemorative book. (https://subs.timeinc.net/SI/si_ws05.jhtml?experience_id=116227&source_id=2)

I also have this magazine sitting at home:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1580607209.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I never received mine and have since discontinued SI just out of pure annoyance (they wouldn't send me one when I contacted them)

ode to veeck
03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Carlos Lee is here. You thought Carlos Lee was traded? He was, to Milwaukee, before last season. But Carlos Lee's brother, Carlos Lee, is a minor-league catcher. Played for the Winston-Salem Warthogs last year.

I hadn't heard this one. The the Lee family like the George Forman family where everyone is named Carlos!?!

DaleJRFan
03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Isn't it Magglio that has a daughter who's name is quite similair to his?

"He, his wife Dagly and three children Magglio Jr., Maggliana and Sophia reside in Miami, FL during the offseason..."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=120044

TommyJohn
03-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Oh that Hangar!

:rolleyes:

Lip

I have to side with Hangar on this one. The White Sox were the first team
since 1995 not to get the full cover treatment for winning the World Series.
I understand it's a petty thing and they are the champs and all, but it is
annoying. Perhaps the White Sox aren't as popular as the Red Sox, maybe
they didn't have to name them Sportsmen of the Year, but they should have
gotten the cover at the end of the Series. They deserved at least that
much.

And WE should've gotten Sportsmen of the Year, dammit! I was all ready
to put that one on my resume!

ChiSoxLifer
03-08-2006, 05:41 PM
And if im not mistaken, didnt that piece of crap rag of a sports weekly
also run a TV campaign after the 04 series declaring the RedSox as Champs "its been 86 years!" and offer some exclusive Boston memorabilia if you bought a subscription???

I dont remember them doing that for us ................but im not sure ......
did anyone see a bunch of SI tv commercials declaring the SOX as champs and "its been 88 long years!"?

I sent them a letter recently cancelling my subscription .....because my SI was paid in advance, it will run out by spring. :angry:

I don't know about the commercials but on the website it had a promotion for the White Sox. Encased baseballs for each playoff series, a book and something else I can't remember. However, it was a travesty the White Sox didn't have their own cover after they won the championship.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Tommy:

I agree with you on the cover and sent them a ripping e-mail over it. I was specifically referring to Hangar having 'missed' all the items that S.I. put up for sale right after the title.

Lip

SweetnesSox
03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
haha I dunno if you guys stopped watchin TV after the WS or not but I musta saw that SI White Sox WS commercial twice a day for two weeks. Stop being so surly!