PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Radio Discusses Sox

fuzzy_patters
03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I am listening to the Tigers game against the Indians on MLB's audio package, and they just finished up talking about the Sox. I am not sure who their commentators are, but they made several complimentary remarks.

The conversation began by talking about Jim Thome. Travis Haffner was up for Cleveland, and they mentioned that he replaced Thome, and the subject quickly turned to the Sox. They pointed out that it will be interesting to see how Thome does considering that he has had injury problems, but the color analyst added, "Kenny Williams always does his homework. He is a great GM." The play-by-play man said, "Can you imagine what he will do in that park?"

Then, the play-by-play announcer said that he thinks the Sox lineup is really potent from top-to-bottom. He pointed out that the Sox won the division with offense last year and not pitching. He said that the were only ninth in runs scored, but the rest of the division was near the bottom. Every team in the AL, except KC, could pitch last year. I thought this was a good point.

The color analyst added that Konerko should have a big year this year "because the Big Hurt is gone." He said that star players tend to have big years when an aging star moves on because they can become "their own man." This is an interesting point of view, and not one that I had thought of before.

Eventually, the conversation turned to Joe Crede. They both expressed that they thought he would be the break-out player this year. They pointed out that he had great minor-league statistics and added that some guys struggle for a few years before they break-out. It was also added that he has a great glove.

Finally, they discussed the Sox's overall chances this year. The color said "those guys were the best team in baseball last year, and they should be improved this year. Injuries are the only thing that can slow them down, and their rotation is six-deep." Play-by-play added, "Brandon McCarthy isn't good enough to make their rotation, whoa."

Overall, it sounds like the Motor City Kitties are intimidated. It is great to be the favorite for once.

samram
03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Overall, it sounds like the Motor City Kitties are intimidated. It is great to be the favorite for once.

What's to be intimidated about? The Tiges are clearly the front-runners for fourth place- KC doesn't have a chance of catching them.:D:

kevin57
03-07-2006, 03:41 PM
If only our hometown sports radio could analyze and express themselves as well.

Corlose 15
03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I believe the play by play guy is Dan Dickerson, and the color man is Jim Price.

nug0hs
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Going to school here at WMU has exposed me to a lot of the Detroit media. I just want to say hats off to the Tigers broadcasters...I have watched many of their games and these guys are always very fair and professional. Additionally, it seems like many people here in Michigan barely even know what baseball is. This state has clearly turned into a basketball area and no one seems to give a ___ about the Tigers which is sad considering how long that team has been around. Anyway, I believe the Tigers will definitely be a very improved team this year...they have a lot of good young players (Bonderman, the whole outfield minus Mags) and a few pitching additions (Jason Grilli, Troy Percival) that should help them out.

Huisj
03-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Going to school here at WMU has exposed me to a lot of the Detroit media. I just want to say hats off to the Tigers broadcasters...I have watched many of their games and these guys are always very fair and professional. Additionally, it seems like many people here in Michigan barely even know what baseball is. This state has clearly turned into a basketball area and no one seems to give a ___ about the Tigers which is sad considering how long that team has been around. Anyway, I believe the Tigers will definitely be a very improved team this year...they have a lot of good young players (Bonderman, the whole outfield minus Mags) and a few pitching additions (Jason Grilli, Troy Percival) that should help them out.

To be fair to Tiger fans in Michigan, the last decade and a half hasn't given them much to be excited about really. I've known lots of people who are Tiger fans but have just kind of stopped caring over the years because there has been nothing exciting about the organization in years. The only thing they had to hang on to was the memories of the good teams that played in Tiger Stadium, so moving to Comerica seemed to be a big sore spot for lots of them too. If they started winning again, the fans would embrace them again, and they would come to love Comerica too. Hmm, sounds sort of familiar . . .

lostletters
03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
To be fair to Tiger fans in Michigan, the last decade and a half hasn't given them much to be excited about really. I've known lots of people who are Tiger fans but have just kind of stopped caring over the years because there has been nothing exciting about the organization in years. The only thing they had to hang on to was the memories of the good teams that played in Tiger Stadium, so moving to Comerica seemed to be a big sore spot for lots of them too. If they started winning again, the fans would embrace them again, and they would come to love Comerica too. Hmm, sounds sort of familiar . . .

It sounds very familiar.

I think part of the problem with the tigers is they are playing in a pitchers park and have more of a heavy hitting ballclub. Though I would not rule them out of contention 2-3 years from now. They have some good young pitching to build a solid foundation on.

1951Campbell
03-07-2006, 05:55 PM
The color analyst added that Konerko should have a big year this year "because the Big Hurt is gone." He said that star players tend to have big years when an aging star moves on because they can become "their own man." This is an interesting point of view, and not one that I had thought of before.

That's essentially the Ewing Theory.

SOecks
03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I travel to Detroit a lot for work and always enjoy their sports radio. They're really fun to listen to from the Lions to the Tigers even though the teams stink. This doesn't surprise me.

SoxSpeed22
03-07-2006, 06:45 PM
That's essentially the Ewing Theory.Explained here. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1193711&type=package)

Jurr
03-07-2006, 07:25 PM
I think that Detroit is really onto something. They've got a good chance at being well over .500. They thought they had the reliever position locked up with Urbina and Percival last year, and now both are out of the league. They're hoping Todd Jones can have another good year.
I think Bonderman is awesome, and Kenny Rogers is going to do well in that big stadium.

If Carlos Pena, Monroe, and Shelton keep getting better, they're going to be solid. Good for those guys!