PDA

View Full Version : Brewers trying to "Take Miller Park Back"

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Hope this wasnt posted previously. Another of Bud Seligs experiments that blew up in their faces, the Brewers are trying to take their own park back.
Anyone remember when that nitwit Selig was openly marketing to cub fans to come to his park and watch games? Idiot.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060220&content_id=1317442&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

TheOldRoman
03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Selig is an idiot, but not for that reason. His plan sold tickets. Teams need to sell tickets in order to make money. Obviously, the Brewers sucked at the time and not enough Brewers fans went to games every day. If the Brewers fans don't want to have to put up with the Cubby frat boys, they should buy the tickets themselves.

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Selig is an idiot.......... If the Brewers fans don't want to have to put up with the Cubby frat boys, they should buy the tickets themselves.

theyre also going with an old-school uniform for sunday apparently ....

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2164468&cp=1452356

Baby Fisk
03-07-2006, 01:20 PM
theyre also going with an old-school uniform for sunday apparently ....

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2164468&cp=1452356
Hangar this was announced weeks ago. As a fellow style maven, I'm shocked you missed this. :o:

areilly
03-07-2006, 01:51 PM
If I were a Brewers fan, I'd be applauding this promotion. I know it's not as bad at Comiskey as it is at Miller Park, but I HATE when other teams' fans come out in droves because it's easier to get tickets here than at their home park (Boston, I'm talking to you).

On second thought, I'm going to limit that to certain teams' fans...Royals fans are usually good sports, and I've met some pretty fun Tigers fans at the park too.

Boston, NYY, and Cubs fans...get out of my park. Go Brewers!

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 02:13 PM
If I were a Brewers fan, I'd be applauding this promotion.

Bud Selig really set that franchise back a ways didnt he?

TheOldRoman
03-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Bud Selig really set that franchise back a ways didnt he? How does this set the franchise back? By brining more money into it? Hangar, this is so absurd, you are starting to become a caricature of yourself.

This is why I laugh at the pathetic Cubs fans with their inferiority complexes who come to the Cell to root against the Sox (when they aren't even playing the Cubs). If those morons want to give lots of their own money to a team they hate (while saying they couldn't possibly care less about), therefore giving that team more money with which to improve itself, they are MORONS. Selig isn't the moron here, it is the Cubs fans.

paciorek1983
03-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe I'm not reading the article correctly, but shouldn't they just have a ticket package, where fans have to buy more than just games against the Cubs and Cards, if they want to attract less cubs/Cards fans?:?:

itsnotrequired
03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Maybe I'm not reading the article correctly, but shouldn't they just have a ticket package, where fans have to buy more than just games against the Cubs and Cards, if they want to attract less cubs/Cards fans?:?:

They did. It was called the "4 Pack" but is no longer available. Basically, you got a premier game at regular prices and three additional games. the thought was that WI residents would snatch them up. Not sure how the sales went though...

comet2k
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
The Brewers didn't do too badly for a mediocre team in a small market. They drew 2.2 million fans last year to rank 18th in attendance -- one spot ahead of the Sox, who drew 2.3 million.

That was a strange story about taking back Miller Park. The Brewers averaged 27,296 fans per game in 2005. Take out the Cubs and Cards game,s and the average drops to 26,148. According to the story, Cardinal games averaged 1,148 more people. How can that mean that Cardinal fans are dominating the stadium?

LongLiveFisk
03-07-2006, 06:00 PM
If I were a Brewers fan, I'd be applauding this promotion. I know it's not as bad at Comiskey as it is at Miller Park, but I HATE when other teams' fans come out in droves because it's easier to get tickets here than at their home park (Boston, I'm talking to you).

I wasn't sure if that was the reason the games vs. Boston sold out so quickly, or if it's just Cubs fans wanting to watch the other Sox (you know, the team they wish they were and often live vicariously through.) :rolleyes:

ondafarm
03-07-2006, 06:20 PM
The Brewers didn't do too badly for a mediocre team in a small market. They drew 2.2 million fans last year to rank 18th in attendance -- one spot ahead of the Sox, who drew 2.3 million.

That was a strange story about taking back Miller Park. The Brewers averaged 27,296 fans per game in 2005. Take out the Cubs and Cards game,s and the average drops to 26,148. According to the story, Cardinal games averaged 1,148 more people. How can that mean that Cardinal fans are dominating the stadium?

According to the numbers I work out, the Cards home games draw 1,313 fans more than their normal home game and the Cubs games draw 8,120 games more than the normal home game. I wonder what it would be like if they took out the Twins interleague games as well (Twins draw well on the road.)

I actually like visiting Miller Park, the sightlines are generally good and there's very little chance of a rainout.

RichFitztightly
03-07-2006, 07:40 PM
I wasn't sure if that was the reason the games vs. Boston sold out so quickly, or if it's just Cubs fans wanting to watch the other Sox (you know, the team they wish they were and often live vicariously through.) :rolleyes:

It's both. I know quite a few Cub fans who looooove Boston, for no apparent reason, but there are also a lot of Boston fans who travel here and are transplants that go to the game.

dickallen15
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
It was only a few years ago that the White Sox were taking ads out in Cleveland papers trying to get their fans to Comiskey Park II.

comet2k
03-07-2006, 09:33 PM
According to the numbers I work out, the Cards home games draw 1,313 fans more than their normal home game and the Cubs games draw 8,120 games more than the normal home game. I wonder what it would be like if they took out the Twins interleague games as well (Twins draw well on the road.)

I actually like visiting Miller Park, the sightlines are generally good and there's very little chance of a rainout.

That's why I thought it was strange. The place obviously doesn't fill up against the Cards, so how can they claim that Cardinal fans are outnumbering Brewer fans? The Cubs may be a different story since they obviously draw more fans.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Hope this wasnt posted previously. Another of Bud Seligs experiments that blew up in their faces, the Brewers are trying to take their own park back.
Anyone remember when that nitwit Selig was openly marketing to cub fans to come to his park and watch games? Idiot.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060220&content_id=1317442&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Selig No longer owns the team

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2006, 06:34 AM
They did. It was called the "4 Pack" but is no longer available. Basically, you got a premier game at regular prices and three additional games. the thought was that WI residents would snatch them up. Not sure how the sales went though...

yea, they sold over 5,500 of those packs within a week(they only origionally had 5,000) . So those are no longer an option.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2006, 06:35 AM

Twins series is huge. Infact, the largest game ever was a Brewers/Twins game(IIRC). Although brewer fans usually outnumber them about 70/30. It is almost always one of the first series to sellout.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2006, 06:36 AM
That's why I thought it was strange. The place obviously doesn't fill up against the Cards, so how can they claim that Cardinal fans are outnumbering Brewer fans? The Cubs may be a different story since they obviously draw more fans.

It's not really the Cardinal fans(who most brewer fans enjoy, because they are very respectful of Milwaukee), it's the cub fans. I think they are just saying that because they are including Cardinal tickets in the Premium Prices this year(last year it was the Cubs and Yankees)

itsnotrequired
03-08-2006, 07:43 AM
yea, they sold over 5,500 of those packs within a week(they only origionally had 5,000) . So those are no longer an option.

Weren't they originally scheduled to be on sale for only a week? In any event, sounds like it was a popular option.

Hangar18
03-08-2006, 07:56 AM
How does this set the franchise back? By brining more money into it? Hangar, this is so absurd, you are starting to become a caricature of yourself.

This is why I laugh at the pathetic Cubs fans with their inferiority complexes who come to the Cell to root against the Sox (when they aren't even playing the Cubs). If those morons want to give lots of their own money to a team they hate (while saying they couldn't possibly care less about), therefore giving that team more money with which to improve itself, they are MORONS. Selig isn't the moron here, it is the Cubs fans.

You didnt read the post write. When I said "boy bud selig set that franchise back", refers to the fact that the Brewers are having to "take Miller Park back". Bud openly lauded the cub "fans" and the new "rivalry" and loved the fact that the sheep were travelling there in big numbers and spending money, and talked about how it was good for both teams. Yeah well bud, when your team starts to feel like its a road game for them .....it really disheartening to your team. Remember when Jerry Reinsdorf did the same thing in 95 ............ openly invited Indian fans to come over to Comiskey to watch games? Dumb.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Weren't they originally scheduled to be on sale for only a week? In any event, sounds like it was a popular option.

Yes, but i couldn't remember the exact day they sold out(i think in 4, but not sure). They added 500 to sell on the 1st day of Ticket sales, which they sold out of, again.

itsnotrequired
03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Yes, but i couldn't remember the exact day they sold out(i think in 4, but not sure). They added 500 to sell on the 1st day of Ticket sales, which they sold out of, again.

I hear Cub fans bought them all anyway...

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2006, 08:25 AM
I hear Cub fans bought them all anyway...

Not possible, i bought two(also, why would they want to buy tickets to Cardinal games? Only 2 of the 5 the plans had Cub tickets).

itsnotrequired
03-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Not possible, i bought two(also, why would they want to buy tickets to Cardinal games? Only 2 of the 5 the plans had Cub tickets).

Teal, baby, teal...

:D:

TheOldRoman
03-08-2006, 10:32 AM
You didnt read the post write. When I said "boy bud selig set that franchise back", refers to the fact that the Brewers are having to "take Miller Park back". Bud openly lauded the cub "fans" and the new "rivalry" and loved the fact that the sheep were travelling there in big numbers and spending money, and talked about how it was good for both teams. Yeah well bud, when your team starts to feel like its a road game for them .....it really disheartening to your team. Remember when Jerry Reinsdorf did the same thing in 95 ............ openly invited Indian fans to come over to Comiskey to watch games? Dumb.
It's all about the benjamins. If Reinsy or Selig can can get the team some extra money to spend on talent the next year or years down the road, I see nothing wrong with it. It is up to the Brewers or Sox fans in those cases to say "I don't want them in our park, I will take my family to the game."
Let's be honest, I'm sure there weren't adds in the newspapers and on busses in Chicago and Cleveland. I'm sure it wasn't a real "campaign", it was just a few comments the owners made. Besides that, fans of the Cubs and Indians knew they could go to the games, anyway. I'm sure none of them thought the Sox of Brewers sold out for the entire year.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Teal, baby, teal...

:D:

Sorry, i'm a newbie here. Still trying to figure that kind of stuff out.:tongue:

VenturaSoxFan23
03-08-2006, 12:26 PM
It was only a few years ago that the White Sox were taking ads out in Cleveland papers trying to get their fans to Comiskey Park II.

1996 rings a bell with me. I went to a Sox-Indians game and it was like 70-30 in favor of the Tribe. The Sox won and edged to within a game of Cleveland in the standings.

PKalltheway
03-09-2006, 12:17 AM

On second thought, I'm going to limit that to certain teams' fans...Royals fans are usually good sports, and I've met some pretty fun Tigers fans at the park too.

Boston, NYY, and Cubs fans...get out of my park. Go Brewers!

Since when has it become difficult to get Royals and Tigers tickets in Detroit or Kansas City? I don't think they're exactly invading our ballpark to see them play the Sox.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Too bad the Brewers are not in the AL Central; the White Sox would be a premium game. :cool:

God I miss going to Milwaukee County Stadium and watching White Sox vs. Brewers games drinking the Super Big Gulp Beers they used to sell. :(:

(Miller Park is too dark and the piped in music is too LOUD). :o:

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/county60.jpg

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Johnny74
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm actually going to one of those Brewers/ Flubs games. My wife likes both the Cubs and the Sox (I know, she's crazy) and I told her I would never go to Wrigley with her. So I got tickets to a Brewers/Cubs game in Milwaukee. I won't be rooting for the Cubs. Go Brewers!

Miller Park is actually a lot of fun. I'm planning on going to a few games up there this year.

C-Dawg
03-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Too bad the Brewers are not in the AL Central; the White Sox would be a premium game. :cool:

I've always felt the real reason they moved to the NL was specifically to draw the Cub audience. Aren't most Brewer-Cub series held on weekdays? Nothing like having a few automatic weekday sellouts to bring in a few bucks. Sure, I've seen other reasons why they moved, but can't help but think this was the biggest one.

MUsoxfan
03-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Aren't most Brewer-Cub series held on weekdays? Nothing like having a few automatic weekday sellouts to bring in a few bucks. Sure, I've seen other reasons why they moved, but can't help but think this was the biggest one.

Only in the last couple years have they been on weekdays. They used to be the big weekend series. Since new ownership took over, I don't believe there's been more than a couple Cub weekend series up there. The new owner is really looking out for the Brewer fans

ComiskeyBrewer
03-14-2006, 09:22 AM
I've always felt the real reason they moved to the NL was specifically to draw the Cub audience. Aren't most Brewer-Cub series held on weekdays? Nothing like having a few automatic weekday sellouts to bring in a few bucks. Sure, I've seen other reasons why they moved, but can't help but think this was the biggest one.

Up until this year, yes(this year, a 4 game series goes from Thurday to sunday, the other is a middle of the week series). Every series was a weekday series. Why wouldn't they put it there? In years past, most weekend Home games averaged around 30K per game. Putting a game that will average 35K plus on a day that usually only has 15K makes more sense than to schedule it on a weekend, where the increase would only be minimal.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Only in the last couple years have they been on weekdays. They used to be the big weekend series. Since new ownership took over, I don't believe there's been more than a couple Cub weekend series up there. The new owner is really looking out for the Brewer fans

Yea, once the bandwagon cub fans started coming up(2002ish) before that, they weren't that big of an attendence increase. Once the cubs had that fluke year tho, every 20 something kid with a C on his cap started coming up. that's when they changed it back to a weekeday series. I think anyways.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-14-2006, 12:40 PM

Cubs, Cardinals, Astros > Royals, Tigers, White Sox

They also made the Twins series a scarce event on a weekend (with the interleague nonsense as people come in from the Twin Cities / Western Wisconsin) so that series ends up sold out (vs. 3 series a year with normal interest).

Miller Park reminds me of that V movie's commercials - dark, dreary and a place someone needs to blow up.

C-Dawg
03-14-2006, 01:25 PM
They also made the Twins series a scarce event on a weekend

Twins/Brewers seems as normal to me as milk and cookies. <Sigh> I'll never get used to them in the NL I guess.

MUsoxfan
03-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Miller Park reminds me of that V movie's commercials - dark, dreary and a place someone needs to blow up.

I totally disagree. I love everything about it. I wish I could still make it to 15 games a year up there

itsnotrequired
03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I totally disagree. I love everything about it. I wish I could still make it to 15 games a year up there

Roof open = yeah!

Roof closed = blah...

ComiskeyBrewer
03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Roof open = yeah!

Roof closed = blah...

Roof Closed = HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it's like 95 degrees in that place if they close it during the summer months(even during night games). I agree tho, when the roof is open on a nice day, it is really pretty.

itsnotrequired
03-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Roof Closed = HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, it's like 95 degrees in that place if they close it during the summer months(even during night games). I agree tho, when the roof is open on a nice day, it is really pretty.

Not only is it hot but it is also crazy humid (since it is most likely raining outside). It also has an excellent aircraft hanger feel when the roof is closed.

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 04:19 PM
It also has an excellent aircraft hanger feel when the roof is closed.

Did someone say hangar?
Roof Closed = Meat Factory
Roof Open = Meat Factory with grass and bases