PDA

View Full Version : Sox make 9 roster moves

itsnotrequired
03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Prior to Tuesday's spring training game vs. Oakland, the Chicago White Sox made the following nine roster moves:

LHP Rusty Tucker was optioned to Class AAA Charlotte; LHP Chad Bentz, OF Ben Grieve, INF Tim Hummel, C Carlos Lee, C Donny Lucy, LHP Corwin Malone, LHP Stephen Randolph and INF Jorge Velandia and were reassigned to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 45 players remaining in camp: 21 pitchers, four catchers, 13 infielders and seven outfielders.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060307&content_id=1338265&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Unregistered
03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Both times I saw Tucker, he impressed me - Chad Bentz, notsomuch...

Iwritecode
03-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Both times I saw Tucker, he impressed me - Chad Bentz, notsomuch...

Tucker has been pretty good but so far Lopez, Munoz and Reynoso have been just a little bit better.

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm still waiting for the Borchard move.

Unregistered
03-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm still waiting for the Borchard move.When is the NFL draft, anyway? :cool:

Baby Fisk
03-07-2006, 01:02 PM
When is the NFL draft, anyway? :cool:
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are looking for a QB...

Unregistered
03-07-2006, 01:04 PM
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are looking for a QB...Or maybe he can go back to Stanford. Doesn't he have a year or two of eligibility left? :smile:

MarySwiss
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
No big surprises so far.

Tekijawa
03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
When will they bring Gomes up?

KRS1
03-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Rusty and Corwin are the only two who really surprised me on this list. I thought Rusty looked really good, but I believe the feelings in camp are to wait on him to build up full arm strength(which he's not too far off from) in Charlotte, and see how he is doing then. Corwin has had some trouble finding the stirke zone so I guess thats not a real shocker, but I figured we'd give him a longer look. Both of these guys could use a little more time after surgery to prepare themselves, and that's most likely the biggest factor. If, both get some hard work done down there this year, I would bet they both start touching 94 on a regular basis, which is probably more valuable to us than what they would bring to the table now.

fusillirob1983
03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing Borchard will be one of the last couple guys shipped out.

SoLongFrank
03-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Most of the media still believes there are 8 LHP vying for 1 job. :D:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=cha&statType=1&noHighlight=true&timeFrame=1&c_id=cws&statSet1=1&section1=1&subScope=teamCode&timeSubFrame=23&&sortByStat=TB
If Gload convinces Ozzie he can play OF Borchy's gone. I'll give him another week.

What a battle in the OF! Sweeney, Anderson,

If Josh Fields doesn't slow down I think Ozzie might take him North. Oddly enough little has been said of him.
What an OF battle! Gload vs Sweeney vs Anderson! Sweeney isn't conceding starting CF to Anderson yet! Mak proves early his 2005 was no fluke. What a great deal by Kenny!

soxfan13
03-07-2006, 01:58 PM

Read in this weekends Sun-Times that the Sox were leaning towards just keeping 11 pitchers as opposed to the 12 that they were talking about and that would mean Borchard would start the season with the big club

KRS1
03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Most of the media still believes there are 8 LHP vying for 1 job. :D:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=cha&statType=1&noHighlight=true&timeFrame=1&c_id=cws&statSet1=1&section1=1&subScope=teamCode&timeSubFrame=23&&sortByStat=TB
If Gload convinces Ozzie he can play OF Borchy's gone. I'll give him another week.

What a battle in the OF! Sweeney, Anderson,

If Josh Fields doesn't slow down I think Ozzie might take him North. Oddly enough little has been said of him.
What an OF battle! Gload vs Sweeney vs Anderson! Sweeney isn't conceding starting CF to Anderson yet! Mak proves early his 2005 was no fluke. What a great deal by Kenny!

1. While Sweeney is probably athletic enough to play SOME CF, I highly doubt Ozzie would use him everyday there.
2. The Sox are content with keeping Ryan in the minors, and while he could probably contribute to the big club now, all the spots he plays corner OF(maybe 1b) are filled with quality players(no way does he ride the pine and miss that development time).
3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Ryan even played in CF this spring?

4. Josh Fields WILL NOT BE WITH THE WHITE SOX TO START THE SEASON. NO WAY, NO HOW. He is putting on a good hitting display so far though, which is really encouraging, but in all honesty his D hasn't come close to matching his bat, and Ozzie won't have that on his team.
5. Crede is our third-baseman, he does not have to earn a roster spot. He has shown his poise and clutch under pressure. So, there's no way Josh takes over for him.
6. Josh still needs some development in the minors before he is even considered for a job in Chicago. Yes, he has really upped his plate pressence, but .250 in AA (along with 142 SO's)isn't enough to warrant a jump to the bigs even if he set the world on fire in ST. A solid year in 06' could land him in some consideration next spring, but that would have to be compounded by a total flop by Crede, both with the bat and his health, to push him up.

russ99
03-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Read in this weekends Sun-Times that the Sox were leaning towards just keeping 11 pitchers as opposed to the 12 that they were talking about and that would mean Borchard would start the season with the big club

That's not a given, though the Sox probably will be bringing another hitter up north. If Borchard doesn't start hitting, he won't be that player.

Unregistered
03-07-2006, 03:00 PM
That's not a given, though the Sox probably will be bringing another hitter up north. If Borchard doesn't start hitting, he won't be that player.I think there's a great chance he goes up with the team for no other reason than he's out of options. From there, he'll probably only get a limited number of ABs over the span of a few short months, after which he'll be unceremoniously released.

Banix12
03-07-2006, 03:14 PM

I've got this feeling that the move won't happen. I'm beginning to think that they are just going to gift him a spot this year, even if he doesn't hit.

I must say I am dissapointed in the lack of competition for that bench spot. Borchard seems to be the only OF being seriously considered and there were plenty of better bench players available in the offseason that could have been brought in to compete.

Maybe Kenny will grab someone off the waiver wire or through trade but I have to think if he was considering bringing in someone else there would have been more players in camp.

soxinem1
03-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Like a few others, I'm suprised Tucker was shipped out so quick. But Randolph, Bentz and the others just sucked. If having a shot at making the one roster spot a defending World Champion is really in need of does not provide you with the motovation to suceed (against Colorado and Arizona to boot), then they should just cast them off.

Borchard looks like he's swinging okay, but I wouldn't be suprised if Gload sneaks up there, especially being a little more accomplished hitter and having already been an excellent role player.

Man, I wish we would get a decent LRP....

salty99
03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I've been to the past 2 spring training games and Ryan Sweeny has looked awesome. Two homers to right center and another line drive hit. No mistakes in the field.

Lip Man 1
03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
If the final back up spot comes down to Borchard or Gload (and both are out of options) I'll take Gload.

He's a left handed hitter, can at least appear at a few different positions and has accomplished more at the MLB level then Borchard. (Granted neither of them has done much...)

Regarding the quick cuts of some of the retreds, has been's and never was's...did you honestly expect anything different?

Lip

soxfanreggie
03-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I hope Borchard can do something or that we get rid of him now so we can recoup something on him.

scottjanssens
03-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I'll take Gload.

He's a left handed hitter, can at least appear at a few different positions and has accomplished more at the MLB level then Borchard. (Granted neither of them has done much...)
Lip

Borchard is a switch hitter. That's about the only thing he's got over Gload. Borchard's only claim to MLB fame is hitting the longest home run at the Cell. (It was massive.)

Iwritecode
03-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Borchard is a switch hitter. That's about the only thing he's got over Gload. Borchard's only claim to MLB fame is hitting the longest home run at the Cell. (It was massive.)

I've got a feeling this arguement is going to last until one of them is gone.

Banix12
03-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Borchard is a switch swinger, calling him a switch hitter implies he can actually hit.

I'd take Gload's hitting ability over Borchard's every time.

flo-B-flo
03-08-2006, 10:48 PM
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are looking for a QB... You guys are ruthless:smile: