PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3.7.06

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Theres a great piece on Brian Anderson today that I found insightful. Anderson is known on the team as being a very Personable guy, but hasnt been reported in the Chicago Media until now.

Paper Waster Carol Sleazak unfortuneately writes another dumb fluff piece on the supposed "theft" of cardinals off of stlouis billboards, long reported here as a hoax. She "exposes" what really happened (way to stay ahead of the news Carol)

Phil Rogers writes a really good piece on Kirby Puckett today, mentioning the fact that he largely wasnt a big part of the Chicago community.

Juan Pierre again is talked about today, and has been talked about the most of any player on both sides of town this spring.

Though the SOX are coming off World Series Championship, they arent seeing the landslide amount of press coverage as the Cubs received last year, as they were coming off a 3rd place finish 16 games out. Amazing.
Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
4 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings for Tues March 7, 2006
Goliath Media Controlling ..... Cubs 49
David Media Ignored .......... SOX 58

SweetnesSox
03-07-2006, 10:14 AM
start the campaign: hangar for sun-times columnist.

Uncle_Patrick
03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Paper Waster Carol Sleazak unfortuneately writes another dumb fluff piece on the supposed "theft" of cardinals off of stlouis billboards, long reported here as a hoax. She "exposes" what really happened (way to stay ahead of the news Carol)

I read part of this article today until my brain just shut down and my head crashed onto my keyboard. I can't believe she's actually paid to write.

fusillirob1983
03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I won't waste my time reading Carol Slezak because it's probably not worth it, but I think I've seen a story about Anderson before today, not sure what paper it was though.

kittle42
03-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Ideally, there would be equal coverage of two teams in one town. It is sad that it took a World Series for that to happen.

Dick Allen
03-07-2006, 11:11 AM
I read part of this article today until my brain just shut down and my head crashed onto my keyboard. I can't believe she's actually paid to write.I had pretty much the same reaction, though I should have known better than to read it to begin with. The next meaningful column she writes will be the first one.

Baby Fisk
03-07-2006, 11:21 AM

unregistered broke this news two weeks ago (21 Feb).

soxtalker
03-07-2006, 11:34 AM

Though the SOX are coming off World Series Championship, they arent seeing the landslide amount of press coverage as the Cubs received last year, as they were coming off a 3rd place finish 16 games out. Amazing.
Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
4 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings for Tues March 7, 2006
Goliath Media Controlling ..... Cubs 49
David Media Ignored .......... SOX 58

That's actually not bad. The change is enormous. Look at it from the perspective of Cubs fans -- it must seem like they are being swamped by all the Sox stories.

If we keep winning, the numbers will go up even further.

Uncle_Patrick
03-07-2006, 11:35 AM
I had pretty much the same reaction, though I should have known better than to read it to begin with. The next meaningful column she writes will be the first one.

Nothing will beat the piece of crap she wrote last year about how the Cubs could, just maybe, just possibly, if you really have faith, make the playoffs.

mjharrison72
03-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Ideally, there would be equal coverage of two teams in one town. It is sad that it took a World Series for that to happen.
I don't think we'd still be leading if not for the "feud" between KW and Big Frank. That got us at least an extra dozen stories, though obviously not the sort of attention we'd prefer.

ChiSoxLifer
03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Nothing will beat the piece of crap she wrote last year about how the Cubs could, just maybe, just possibly, if you really have faith, make the playoffs.

Her article was just crap. I'm sure when Minnie's statue was damaged she defended cubs fans. She probably blamed it on a drunk White Sox fan who didn't get the chance to run out onto the field. Maybe she's auditioning for a job at the Cubune.

Dan Mega
03-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Is that the same article she wrote where she looked out her window in Wrigleyville and didn't see any Sox fans celebrating, thus coming to the conclusion that nobody cared?

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Is that the same article she wrote where she looked out her window in Wrigleyville and didn't see any Sox fans celebrating, thus coming to the conclusion that nobody cared?

Thats the same Trixie.
Shes also won a Pulitzer for her piece in spring of 04, an article comparing the pitching staffs of the Yankees and Cubs, it was her 2004 World Series preview she said "lets just skip to the playoffs"..........

itsnotrequired
03-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Look at it from the perspective of Cubs fans -- it must seem like they are being swamped by all the Sox stories.

They are already griping...

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=29334&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Dick Allen
03-07-2006, 01:34 PM

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=29334&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0I can't believe they're criticizing Murphy. He's a host on an all-sports station but talks only about the Cubs. They talk about him as if he was a Sox fan. Idiots.

Uncle_Patrick
03-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I can't believe they're criticizing Murphy. He's a host on an all-sports station but talks only about the Cubs. They talk about him as if he was a Sox fan. Idiots.

Yeah, its odd because Murph bleeds Cubbie blue. Every friggin' thing he talks about comes back to the Cubs. The posters on that site bitch about the Cubs and their moves, but I guess if Murph does it, it somehow makes him a White Sox sympathizer.

I love how they bitch about anyone in the media talking about the Sox' World Series Championship, but at least the Cubs are being talked about. You know that if situation was reversed the media would pretend like the White Sox didn't even exist.

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 01:46 PM

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=29334&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The love and favor theyve gotten for over 2 decades, despite having won absolutely nothing, and they complain? Unbelievable.
Again ....Dumbest fans in Baseball they are.

santo=dorf
03-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Before 2005, they hadn't won a playoff series in 87 years, and had only won what 3 playoff games since 1959? Yeah tradition filled my butt
:dumbass:

Let's turn the table for the Cubs.

Before 2003, they hadn't won a playoff series in 95 years, and had only won what 3 playoff games since World War II? Yeah tradition filled my butt

Dumbest fans in baseball hands down.

WSox8404
03-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I read part of this article today until my brain just shut down and my head crashed onto my keyboard. I can't believe she's actually paid to write.

Equal opportunity paper. The dumb need to work too.