PDA

View Full Version : More Sox Playoff Memorabilia ....

comet2k
03-07-2006, 10:50 AM
.... and proof that some people will buy anything.

The Sox are auctioning empty Champagne bottles from the playoff and World Series celebrations -- and people are actually bidding on them.

http://marketplace.edeal.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=33288044&aunbr=67043973

I think I'll just save the emptys from the next time we have Champagne and claim they were part of White Sox history.

MUsoxfan
03-07-2006, 11:02 AM
They were selling those at Soxfest. They'd be cool to have, but not for that much money

Chez
03-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Why would anyone from the Sox ever have considered saving the empty bottles? They are [literally] garbage! What's next, soap remnants saved from the shower following the World Series celebration? Amazing.

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2006, 11:28 AM
What's next, the plastic they used to cover the locker room?

SoxFan78
03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Plus, there is no way to tell if they were there or not. They look like regular bottles. If they were selling them for 20-40 dollars maybe, but not 250 bucks.

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 11:43 AM

The Sox are auctioning empty Champagne bottles from the playoff and World Series celebrations -- and people are actually bidding on them.

http://marketplace.edeal.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=33288044&aunbr=67043973

This is old news, these things were on sale at SoxFest and subject of a thread here. However, Id rather buy an empty champagne bottle from a WS Championship than spaghetti sauce with a ground up baseball in it.
Thats Pathetic.

rdwj
03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
That 1919 flag is pretty sweet - but it's gonna end up going for well over a grand. That's a tad steep.

thepaulbowski
03-07-2006, 11:50 AM

I think I'll just save the emptys from the next time we have Champagne and claim they were part of White Sox history.

My wife bought me one at Soxfest that was used in the WS celebration. It has been authenticated by MLB. It look pretty cool with my ticket stub, program and WS bunting I bought at Soxfest.

I guess I'm an idiot and I'll buy anything. How much are you selling your Champagne bottles for. :rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
03-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I saved the champagne bottles I drank out of, and the corks. No need to buy someone else's. :?:

Who the heck would want the 1919 flag? :?: :?: :?:

BainesHOF
03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
The champagne bottles are awesome! They're as collectible as anything and better than most. Come on, they were used in the locker room to celebrate our first World Series championship in 88 years! In a display of sports memorabilia, they immediately invoke the memory of winning the title. Display them next to a picture or two of the players popping open the champagne bottles and you've got a heck of a display.

In the sports memorabilia world, those bottles are worth A LOT. I saw one World Series bottle in a Woodfield Mall sports shop with a $2,000 price tag on it. There were only so many used to begin with and I'm sure the players and their family and friends took some home as souvenirs. The bottles the Sox are selling have a MLB.com serial number on the World Series bottle guaranteeing its authenticity. Additionally, each bottle has a cool, two-tiered specially-made authenticity card-like tag commemorating the specific playoff series that you hang on the neck of the bottle.

That you can buy a bottle from the Sox from each of the playoff series as a matching set might be an unprecedented offer in baseball history. Additionally, there were a couple different brands used in the ALCS and World Series celebrations. It'd be a heck of a coup for a collector to have all the different bottles. The great thing about buying them directly from the Sox is you know they're authentic. At Soxfest, they were pulling them from a stack of empty boxes in the back. Many of the bottles even had some champagne left in them.

The prices the Sox were selling the bottles at Soxfest were way below market value in the memorabilia world. The bottles, along with the World Series bunting, were by far the best deals at Soxfest. The last matching set of bottles auctioned on the Sox site went for more than $1,800.

Blob
03-07-2006, 01:59 PM
My wife bought me one at Soxfest that was used in the WS celebration. It has been authenticated by MLB. It look pretty cool with my ticket stub, program and WS bunting I bought at Soxfest.

I guess I'm an idiot and I'll buy anything. How much are you selling your Champagne bottles for. :rolleyes:

The bunting was the best priced item at the garage sale this year that came from the WS, IMO.

Baby Fisk
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM

The bunting would be cool to have. You can hang it up in the bedroom on "special evenings". :D:

BBQs, birthdays, the possibilities are endless.

thepaulbowski
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
The bunting would be cool to have. You can hang it up in the bedroom on "special evenings". :D:

BBQs, birthdays, the possibilities are endless.

Mrs. Paulbowski is 7 months pregnant, it won't be hung up for any "special evenings" any time soon. :cool:

mjharrison72
03-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I saved the champagne bottles I drank out of, and the corks. No need to buy someone else's. :?:
I was just going to say:
If anyone wants to buy the champagne bottles mjharrison72 and Mrs. harrison72 drank out of to celebrate the White Sox' World Series victory, I'll start the bidding at $10. :sunshine:

rookieroy
03-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow. Another shocking post! You are right on BainesHOF! The bottles and bunting are CLEARLY the most important pieces of White Sox World Series memorabilia that is accessable to the public. To know that these bottles were opened in the clubhouse to celebrate a World Series victory is just plain cool. WSWS game used equipment is the best, but, most of the best stuff is in Cooperstown or the players and their families kept it for themselves. A Game 1 or 2 foul ball would be great as well! :smile:

itsnotrequired
03-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Didn't all the proceeds from the stuff sold at Sox Fest go to charity?

Buying this type of memorabilia and having the dollars go to charity is one thing...buying these items for some fool to make a buck is another.

spiffie
03-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Didn't all the proceeds from the stuff sold at Sox Fest go to charity?

Buying this type of memorabilia and having the dollars go to charity is one thing...buying these items for some fool to make a buck is another.
Actually all the proceeds from these auctions go to the White Sox Charities as well.

Proceeds from the auction benefit Chicago White Sox Charities, which supports hundreds of Chicago-based organizations including those leading the fight against cancer or dedicated to improving the lives of Chicago’s youth through education and athletics.