PDA

View Full Version : Crede replaced by Fields soon??

trails27
03-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Is Josh Fields going to replace Joe Crede at 3rd base soon? That is what I am hearing alot of and Crede barely played during Spring training.

ilsox7
03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
You hear very, very, very, very wrong.

MarySwiss
03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Is Josh Fields going to replace Joe Crede at 3rd base soon? That is what I am hearing alot of and Crede barely played during Spring training.

And you heard this where?

mjharrison72
03-07-2006, 10:37 AM
First off, welcome!
Second, I think Ozzie is just trying to get Fields some experience during Spring Training. If Crede is healthy, he's clearly our starting 3B, and if he's not, I think Rob Mackowiak is the clear backup. Nonetheless, Ozzie wants to know what Fields is capable of, with the bat and with the glove, should something happen that might require him to be called up.

I might be wrong, but doesn't Fields also catch? Might not be a bad option as a third-string 3B and C, especially if Macko is supposed to be our fourth OF.

Flight #24
03-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Define soon.

Soon = this year? Nope.

Soon = in the next 2-3 years? Maybe, depends on a number of things.

MUsoxfan
03-07-2006, 10:44 AM

Well he's cousins with ChiSoxTony, and Tony said his buddy heard somebody on the phone with Ozzie's son at the 62nd/Archer bus stop that Crede is trade bait and Fields is where it's at for the season.

Clembasbal
03-07-2006, 11:20 AM

Like his agent being Boras?

Hangar18
03-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Define soon.

Exactly. Will depend on a lot ............ if he fast-tracks himself and really starts to hit a ton down in the minors, the SOX will have a nice problem on their hands. The Mets would be banging on the SOX door at that time .......

Uncle_Patrick
03-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Well he's cousins with ChiSoxTony, and Tony said his buddy heard somebody on the phone with Ozzie's son at the 62nd/Archer bus stop that Crede is trade bait and Fields is where it's at for the season.

Maybe someone's mother-in-law heard it on XM.

infohawk
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I heard this subject brought up during yesterday's episode of "Chicago Tribune Live." Chuck Garfein (sp?) was sitting in for Jiggets. Garfein wondered aloud if Fields successful spring training would result in him taking over Crede's job in the near future, prompting one of the panelists to ask Garfein if he were crazy. The panelist talked about how Crede is the kind of anchor you want to keep on a club. He touted his defense and the clutch hits he delivered down the stretch and into the playoffs. The guy speculated that, if Fields continued to develop, perhaps the Sox should use Fields as trade bait.

Anyway, just a recap of the segment.

Tekijawa
03-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I watched the Game on Saturday and Crede's swing looked a lot faster to me, I don't kow if it was just wishfull thinking or not but it didn't look like the same LONG swing that 've seen in years past... same stance, same swing, just a lot faster. I hope he keeps it!

PaulDrake
03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I watched the Game on Saturday and Crede's swing looked a lot faster to me, I don't kow if it was just wishfull thinking or not but it didn't look like the same LONG swing that 've seen in years past... same stance, same swing, just a lot faster. I hope he keeps it! I hope you're right. That long loopy swing has kept Joe from developing to his full potential.

ondafarm
03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Crede is definately the starter this year. Fields hasn't even played a year of AAA ball so I'd call any time he gets in ST as an appetizer. Supposed to whet his appetitte and get him willing to put in those extra hours working on his defense at Charlotte. I've heard that Ozzie thinks his offense might merit a September call-up, depending on the playoff race situation. Defensively, the kid needs to put in solid work and really learn to anticpate at third. Crede is hardly a crafty old veteran 3B but he is a very solid defensive guy and a valuable bat. I don't think the Sox will rush Fields at all. If he has a good year at Charlotte, then the Sox have some leverage against Boras for 2007. Ideally, Fields spends that year in AAA and then is really ready to move up.

spluta7913
03-07-2006, 12:53 PM
I see crede having a big year for the sox. The post season run he had was a coming out party. I think his confidence is now where it needs to be. I would not be surprised if he finishes the season batting over .280, with 30 bombs and over 80 ribs. Unless his back is an issue, he will be robbing base hits all year over at 3rd. Its all about the hair.:graffowe you one tony

Flight #24
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Like his agent being Boras?

Except for small things like Joe being a few years away from FA (3 IIRC), his stating that he'd change agents if he wasn't happy with how his agent was dealing with the Sox, and the Sox having retained Boras clients in the past (IIRC Uribe).

I was referring to health, production on Crede's part, and development/continued production on D and at the plate on Fields part. Probably also to the state of the Sox salary/budget and whether or not they want to commit the $$$ to Crede orutilize them elsewhere and go with the cheaper/younger Fields.

Given Joe's back, I could easily see the Sox holding onto Josh as insurance, then if Joe's not 100% reliable, swapping Josh in as a more reliable guy (assuming his D & O are comparable).

soxfan13
03-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I heard Vance Law was coming out of retirement to give Crede a little push in the right direction

trails27
03-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Crede is definately the starter this year. Fields hasn't even played a year of AAA ball so I'd call any time he gets in ST as an appetizer. Supposed to whet his appetitte and get him willing to put in those extra hours working on his defense at Charlotte. I've heard that Ozzie thinks his offense might merit a September call-up, depending on the playoff race situation. Defensively, the kid needs to put in solid work and really learn to anticpate at third. Crede is hardly a crafty old veteran 3B but he is a very solid defensive guy and a valuable bat. I don't think the Sox will rush Fields at all. If he has a good year at Charlotte, then the Sox have some leverage against Boras for 2007. Ideally, Fields spends that year in AAA and then is really ready to move up.

So Crede is the starter until atleast September, before Fields maybe being the starting 3rd baseman for the final regular season games and the playoffs?
Sounds about right.

WSox8404
03-07-2006, 04:53 PM
:?:

They are only 6 games into spring training. He has played just as much as every other starter has.

WSox8404
03-07-2006, 04:54 PM
So Crede is the starter until atleast September, before Fields maybe being the starting 3rd baseman for the final regular season games and the playoffs?
Sounds about right.

No that doesn't.

ondafarm
03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Sounds about right.

No it doesn't.

Fields may get a few starts at third if the Sox don't have to count those September games. As for the playoffs, only a true bonehead of a manager would play a September call-up in the playoffs.

Could Fields start in 2007? Possible, but not likely. 2008 is much more likely.

Ol' No. 2
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Sounds about right.Shoota, is that you???

trails27
03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
No I am not shoota or somebody else. I am a total newbie. I dont know much about the situation other than what I read in alot of baseball mags and chicago online papers seemed to indicate Fields was on his way and Crede was feeling alot of heat. It looks like I overestimated the immediate danger Crede is in since most of you know what you are talking about I am sure. Still I doubt he has a long future in Chicago unless his back problems get difused somewhat and his bat becomes more consistent, if both happen this year that would be great.

Ol' No. 2
03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
No I am not shoota or somebody else. I am a total newbie. I dont know much about the situation other than what I read in alot of baseball mags and chicago online papers seemed to indicate Fields was on his way and Crede was feeling alot of heat. It looks like I overestimated the immediate danger Crede is in since most of you know what you are talking about I am sure. Still I doubt he has a long future in Chicago unless his back problems get difused somewhat and his bat becomes more consistent, if both happen this year that would be great.Start by ignoring everything you read in baseball mags and Chicago papers, online or paper. Fields is at least a year away from being ready for a starting job and probably longer, and he'll never be Crede's equal defensively. Unless Crede reverts to hitting .230, he's not going anywhere.

white sox bill
03-07-2006, 06:32 PM
First off, welcome!
Second, I think Ozzie is just trying to get Fields some experience during Spring Training. If Crede is healthy, he's clearly our starting 3B, and if he's not, I think Rob Mackowiak is the clear backup. Nonetheless, Ozzie wants to know what Fields is capable of, with the bat and with the glove, should something happen that might require him to be called up.

I might be wrong, but doesn't Fields also catch? Might not be a bad option as a third-string 3B and C, especially if Macko is supposed to be our fourth OF.

Yea like when we play Oakland again and wind up having Dye play the infield and wasn't Widger involved in another position after Crede got the boot?

likeawarlord
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I see crede having a big year for the sox. The post season run he had was a coming out party. I think his confidence is now where it needs to be. I would not be surprised if he finishes the season batting over .280, with 30 bombs and over 80 ribs. Unless his back is an issue, he will be robbing base hits all year over at 3rd.

if his back holds up i'm optimistic, too. but then again, i thought that his awesome second half in 2002 was his coming out party, so we'll see.

SOXSINCE'70
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
I heard Vance Law was coming out of retirement to give Crede a little push in the right direction

Chris Sabo will also be tutoring Crede.:roflmao: :roflmao:

(Yes,he was very good for the Reds,but he sucked
with the Sox.He also quit on the team midway
through that aberration of the 1995 season,IIRC).:angry:

trails27
03-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Start by ignoring everything you read in baseball mags and Chicago papers, online or paper. Fields is at least a year away from being ready for a starting job and probably longer, and he'll never be Crede's equal defensively. Unless Crede reverts to hitting .230, he's not going anywhere.

Will try my best but it is hard not to love getting in depth info on all the teams in the pre-season mags and all.

I actually read one time Joe Crede wanted to end his career in Chicago.

daveeym
03-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Shoota, is that you???Sounds more like white sox josh.

MarySwiss
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I watched the Game on Saturday and Crede's swing looked a lot faster to me, I don't kow if it was just wishfull thinking or not but it didn't look like the same LONG swing that 've seen in years past... same stance, same swing, just a lot faster. I hope he keeps it!

No, it was not wishful thinking, Tek. I was down in Tucson the weekend before the games started, and I followed the group that contained Paulie, Thome, Widger, and Crede. Joe was hitting absolute ropes. True, it's spring training, but he looked really good--and more important, comfortable--up there.

Tragg
03-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Sounds more like white sox josh.
Josh would have included Joe Rand's mug in a Sox cap as part of his signature.

daveeym
03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
No, it was not wishful thinking, Tek. I was down in Tucson the weekend before the games started, and I followed the group that contained Paulie, Thome, Widger, and Crede. Joe was hitting absolute ropes. True, it's spring training, but he looked really good--and more important, comfortable--up there. We go through this with Joe on a monthly basis. Until he prolongs it for a season I'm not getting my hopes up.

Josh would have included Joe Rand's mug in a Sox cap as part of his signature. Shhhh, he's trying to avoid Randa so his identity isn't given away.

SoLongFrank
03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
All of these Crede rumors are driven by Boras being his agent. But people don't look at the fact that Crede's inconsistency has landed him at the tail of the order yr after yr. Boras can hold teams hostage for tail of the order hitters. Unless Crede greatly improves to where he can be considered for 5-6
he's not going to command Rolen bucks.

My understanding of Fields is that he's improving defensively but in no way shape or form can make the plays Crede does at 3B.

I firmly believe the White Sox will make every effort to retain Crede. To get him a team will have to meet a very high price in trade value. We're talking top prospect, near ready to play, near can't miss talent.

TaylorStSox
03-09-2006, 06:08 PM
IMO, Fields is the most likey to be traded. A) He's not good enough defensively to play on this team. So, you'd have to move him to 1st. Obviously, he's not going to play 1st. B) Crede's under contract for 3 years. Unless his back is worse than people know, he's your 3rd baseman for the next few years.

California Sox
03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
These are all nice problems to have. For a change we have a lot of talent at AAA (even without Haigwood and Young, Charlotte's going to be pretty good).

I actually think Fields is a very similar player to Crede when he first came up. (Good power, slightly long swing, good athlete but not not polished defensively.) With reps people can get significantly better at 3b. (see Ventura, Robin)

If Sweeney and Fields hit anything like they've started (and keep in mind it's a week of Spring Training) KW will have options, and we all know how much he likes options. I'd say, "no way he trades Sweeney, but if he can sign Crede he will trade Fields."

FarSouthSoxFan
03-10-2006, 07:27 AM
This is virtually identical to a post on mlb.com (except he claimed Borchard was never a good prospect, too)...Same person? I made him look foolish there...He should know better by now.

Josh Fields

2005 AA Birmingham .252 avg 142 K

Promote him right away! Those numbers prove he's major league ready! What did Joe Crede do in AA? He won an MVP award. Did the same at AAA.

As for "I heard..." I believe you didn't hear anything and are making this up. You saw him hit well in 15 or so Spring Training at-bats, so you decided he's Ken Griffey, Jr circa 1993. Trying to start rumors about things like this without looking at stats is fun, right?

Here's what I told you the last time:
Spring Training Does Not Count

Oh, and...This thread Sucks. Fields is 2-3 years away. This should be lumped in with the "Sweeney making the team?" thread in the Sox Clubhouse section and thrown in the trash. Rushing prospects years before they are ready and destroying their potential is awesome. SEE ZACH GREINKE AND HIS "COUNSELOR."

SoLongFrank
03-10-2006, 01:36 PM
The White Sox are champions because of pitching & defense. That will remain the focus of the team for years to come. Crede is a big part of that. The pitching suffers in his absence. Until he is priced beyond their means he's here to stay.

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2006, 03:02 PM
The White Sox are champions because of pitching & defense. That will remain the focus of the team for years to come. Crede is a big part of that. The pitching suffers in his absence. Until he is priced beyond their means he's here to stay.The market tends to undervalue defense. Unless Joe breaks out in a big way, he's never going to become all that expensive. And if he does break out, he'll be worth what it takes to keep him.

White Sox Randy
03-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Ideally, the Sox would love to pencil Crede into the lineup for the next 7-8 years. The guy plays the position very well and he can hit. He just needs to hit more consistently and closer to his minor league numbers.

If he can do that, why wouldn't they keep him. He's a good citizen and well liked.

Fields, if all goes well, wouldn't be ready for 2 more years anyway. He is not a stud prospect and needs to improve his defense.

This is only an issue for the Sox after the season if Fields really improves. I do think that he will become a good run producer.

I foresee the Sox trading Crede only if Boras demands are too much or if Fields improves considerably on defense.

batmanZoSo
03-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Kind of a silly thread, but it's nice to have a player registered and posting actively. :wink:

RKMeibalane
03-10-2006, 10:03 PM

He heard from ChiSoxTony, who called him on his cell phone while standing next to Kenny Williams at the airport.