PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Report

maurice
03-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Ozzie sure does love to play the youngsters in big-league games during Spring Training. This bothers most of the TEP crowd who came to see the big names play, but I love it. I got to see Hernandez, Broadway, Liotta, and Haeger for the first time, and a host of other minor-leaguers who I've assessed here in the past. Some comments:

Munoz remains my favorite for the lefty bullpen spot. Ozzie may think that he lacks guts, but at least he throws strikes. Most of the other candidates pitched like they were in a walk-a-thon, not a pro baseball game. For example, Reynoso still has good stuff but can't find the zone. Malone couldn't stay on top of the ball. I know it's unfair to judge these guys based on early spring appearances, but the fight to make the World Champs' 25-man is not going to be a fair one. The guys who come out firing are going to have a huge edge. Coop's going to have a REAL tough time judging their ability to retire lefties, since the frequent lineup changes put them up against mostly right-handed batters. He mentioned that he might have to evaluate them in B-games for this reason.

Haeger's knuckler can be downright filthy. I was sitting down the 1B line and got a nice side angle on its movement. Unfortunately, like most guys with nasty kucklers, he often has no idea where it's going. If he can keep the walk totals down, he has a real chance at the majors . . . quite an accomplishment considering his history.

Liotta and Broadway appeared to have similar stuff. Adequate fastball + good, sharp breaking ball. Liotta's lefthandedness and marginal edge in pro experience probably put him slightly ahead at this juncture. I'll be watching both of them as closely as possible in 2006.

The three-headed catching monster (Hernandez/Lucy/Stewart) saw some early action. Hernandez and Lucy looked real solid in very limited ABs, but I didn't get to see much of them behind the plate. Hernandez is tiny compared to most MLB players.

Valido was Valido. Good defense, situational hitting, and aggressive baserunning. With the Sox struggling to get on base, he bunted for a hit and distracted the pitcher. He also drove a ball fairly well. I really like this kid.

Owens made a couple of surprisingly good throws from the wall to the cutoff man. They were right on the money, and his arm strength appeared to be average. Despite published reports, I think that his arm strength has improved over last year. In any event, he threw WAY better than Podsednik does and looked adequate (but not good) for CF. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see him play balls in the gap. Most of the long drives went out of the park or off of the CF wall / batter's eye. He looked good at the dish, with the exception of a terrible drag bunt that resulted in an easy 1-3. At least he's working on it.

I am very happy to report that Fields looked great that the plate. I reported that his swing looked shaky late last year. That's over. In a single game, he drove three balls to RCF. One was a HR and another was a stand-up 2B in the gap. Sweeney's swing was beautiful as usual.

Banix12
03-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Good Read. Thanks a bunch.

I've noticed a lot of minor league names as well. I would think that with the lack of competition for MLB roster spots (just the last man off the bench and last man out of the pen) this year that Ozzie just really wants to see what he has to work with in the minors in case of an emergency.

California Sox
03-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I can't wait to get down there and see some of the guys.

Hey, how about Liotta for bullpen? Not at the beginning of the season, but say August 1? He could be on the Buerhle plan.

KRS1
03-06-2006, 10:12 PM
I can't wait to get down there and see some of the guys.

Hey, how about Liotta for bullpen? Not at the beginning of the season, but say August 1? He could be on the Buerhle plan.

Everything said by the White Sox camp about Liotta's role is him definitely being kept a starter. The big reasons are, they think he can be really special as a starter with some more hard work and don't want to mess with that so early(unlike McCarthy, who is ready for the bigs now and doesn't really have anything to gain from being back in the minors), and to have at least one option in case of emergency at the minor league levels(he throws strikes unlike Tracey, Broadway doesn't have enough experience under his belt, and everyone else is just too young, inexperienced, or just not qualified).

rdivaldi
03-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Everything said by the White Sox camp about Liotta's role is him definitely being kept a starter.

I think what he meant is that Liotta could be brought up as a reliever to get some major league experience at the end of the season. Let's not forget that's how Mark got his start in 2000.

MarySwiss
03-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Everything said by the White Sox camp about Liotta's role is him definitely being kept a starter. The big reasons are, they think he can be really special as a starter with some more hard work and don't want to mess with that so early(unlike McCarthy, who is ready for the bigs now and doesn't really have anything to gain from being back in the minors), and to have at least one option in case of emergency at the minor league levels(he throws strikes unlike Tracey, Broadway doesn't have enough experience under his belt, and everyone else is just too young, inexperienced, or just not qualified).

According to today's Republic, Liotta is the only LHP who has no chance of making the Opening Day roster because the team wants him to be a starter.

rdivaldi
03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I am very happy to report that Fields looked great that the plate. I reported that his swing looked shaky late last year. That's over. In a single game, he drove three balls to RCF. One was a HR and another was a stand-up 2B in the gap.

I should of asked you before maurice, but how does his defense look? That's what will make or break Fields as a third baseman.

maurice
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
His D looked fine, but he only had a few chances and none of them were difficult.

salty99
03-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Another hit today for Fields.

rdivaldi
03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
His D looked fine, but he only had a few chances and none of them were difficult.

I see he had his first error today. Anyone have an idea of what happened?

Brian26
03-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Is there any chance that Sweeney makes the big club out of camp? He was my ST pick to click, and it looks like he's on fire.

Daver
03-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Is there any chance that Sweeney makes the big club out of camp? He was my ST pick to click, and it looks like he's on fire.

No.

KRS1
03-07-2006, 10:38 PM
I see he had his first error today. Anyone have an idea of what happened?
He actually had his first Error last week in the second game of ST. It was a hard grounder that Mark Grace said was very playable, but it went off his glove and ruined a perfect DP ball on a pitch served up by Corwin.

I don't know if they changed the scoring, but it was announced an error right away, and like I said the announcer team said it should have been an easy 5-4-3 DP.

It was his second error today, here's the box from 3-2.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060302&content_id=1331078&vkey=spt2006gamer&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

rdivaldi
03-07-2006, 11:33 PM
No.

With Ozzie, never say never. If he just hits lights out, I bet there will be some serious consideration going on. If we ever see Sweeney in CF, or playing in LF next to Pods this spring, then we'll know that something is up.

Banix12
03-07-2006, 11:59 PM
With Ozzie, never say never. If he just hits lights out, I bet there will be some serious consideration going on. If we ever see Sweeney in CF, or playing in LF next to Pods this spring, then we'll know that something is up.

Normally I would agree. Ozzie does tend to bring guys up if they prove themselves in spring training. In the past though those guys were guys like Gload and Ozuna, non-prospects with good offensive track records.

Sweeney still has a lot to prove down in the minor league level. He only hit 1 HR all last season at AA and spring training isn't the best time to evaluate talent. He's gotta have some more time in the minors to prove that this spring isn't a fluke. Anyway I really doubt they would give him a starting job in the majors this early and there is no way they bring him up to be a backup.

If Sweeney continues to have a strong spring I think he goes back down to the minors anyway. However if he goes down to the minors and continues showing progress with his bat he could easily earn a callup when rosters expand if not earlier if someone gets injured.

California Sox
03-08-2006, 08:52 AM
And Dye is a FA at the end of the season. With CY out of the organization, Ryan has a clear shot to a starting job next season.

KRS1
03-08-2006, 01:00 PM
And Dye is a FA at the end of the season. With CY out of the organization, Ryan has a clear shot to a starting job next season.

We hold a $6m option on Dye for next season. Not saying that we'll use it, but if he has another good year, I don't see why why we wouldn't.

maurice
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Normally I would agree. Ozzie does tend to bring guys up if they prove themselves in spring training. In the past though those guys were guys like Gload and Ozuna, non-prospects with good offensive track records.

Yeah. I really think that Williams & Wilder would veto Ozzie's desire to have one of the less experienced guys come up and sit on the bench. Sweeney, Owens, Fields, Liotta, etc. still have a lot to gain by playing in the minors and that's where they're going to be when the Sox break camp.

rdivaldi
03-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah. I really think that Williams & Wilder would veto Ozzie's desire to have one of the less experienced guys come up and sit on the bench. Sweeney, Owens, Fields, Liotta, etc. still have a lot to gain by playing in the minors and that's where they're going to be when the Sox break camp.

The thing is, Sweeney has more minor league at bats than Anderson. Granted Brian played in college, but it's going to be hard to hold Ryan back if he keeps hitting well. I looooove that sweet left handed swing.

maurice
03-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Sure, but Anderson is the starting CF, not a bench player. Plus, he played at a high level in college and did pretty well in AAA last year (while Sweeney was in AA).

Like I said, my only point is that they're not going to bring Sweeney, et al. up "sit on the bench," when there is no real need to do so and when they still have a lot to learn in the minors. They'll bring Sweeney up when a starting spot is available (probably RF).

Randar68
03-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Sure, but Anderson is the starting CF, not a bench player. Plus, he played at a high level in college and did pretty well in AAA last year (while Sweeney was in AA).

Like I said, my only point is that they're not going to bring Sweeney, et al. up "sit on the bench," when there is no real need to do so and when they still have a lot to learn in the minors. They'll bring Sweeney up when a starting spot is available (probably RF).

Like you said, Anderson is the starting CF'er. They don't need another corner OF'er at this time, and with Ozuna and Mack and probably Borchard, there's no reason to bring up Sweeney.

The only scenario that COULD make sense is if they felt comfortable in CF with Sweeney and Anderson struggles mightily. I have seen Sweeney in CF and he is "competent" but I don't think I'd be thrilled with him there every day.

MarySwiss
03-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Just got back from Diablo. They did not look very good, but hey! who cares? It's not like it counts or anything.

Gload, playing first, looked absolutely horrible. If the Sox were in fact taking a last look at him, look for him to be traded sooner rather than later. Paulie was DH, and it looks as if he still hasn't quite gotten his swing back. But no doubt, he will. Rob Mackowiak was a bright spot defensively.

HOWever, ya gotta love ST games! And Diablo is my favorite Cactus League park. (Unfortunately, there are just too many Angels fans there. :rolleyes: )

We were making our way to our seats behind home plate about 20 minutes before game time when I realized that the guy walking just slightly ahead and to my right was Kenny Williams. In a beige jogging outfit, flying under the radar as usual; not many Sox fans recognized him.

It was kind of chilly today (70 degrees!), so we left after 7. :smile:

See some of you in Tucson next weekend, I hope!

Banix12
03-08-2006, 06:51 PM
The thing is, Sweeney has more minor league at bats than Anderson. Granted Brian played in college, but it's going to be hard to hold Ryan back if he keeps hitting well. I looooove that sweet left handed swing.

The thing is while Sweeney has more minor league AB's, Anderson has done a lot more in his AB's than Sweeney has.

Even if you have a strong spring you have to have some proof that the player is ready based on minor league experience. You really can't make snap decisions on a player based on spring training alone.

Last year Ozuna hit around .600 in spring training. Now anybody could tell you it was impossible for him to keep it up but there was a strong track record of him hitting well at AAA so you could make that leap to think he would be good in the majors. The same goes for Gload in 2004.

Sweeney had a decent year at AA but his power just hasn't shown up yet in the minors. In my opinion he has to go down to the minors and prove this isn't a fluke.

rdivaldi
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Sweeney had a decent year at AA but his power just hasn't shown up yet in the minors. In my opinion he has to go down to the minors and prove this isn't a fluke.

Well, considering how young he is, the power could show up very quickly as he matures. Not to mention he was playing in a pitcher's paradise last year.

I'm not in any way suggesting that Sweeney "should" be on the major league roster at the beginning of the season, but he's really opening eyes (again) this Spring Training. I truly believe that this kid will be ready for major league action sooner rather than later. He's got the talent and he has the ability.

Some players just break into the big leagues early.

rdivaldi
03-08-2006, 08:51 PM

More than likely you're right maurice. However, if Anderson struggles (and I think he will) they could always try Sweeney in CF. I know that's not his natural position, but the kid is an outstanding athlete. He wouldn't have to play there everyday. They could play him in LF or RF when Pods and Dye get days off. The posibilities are plentiful because of Mack's ability to play the outfield as well.

I'm sure he'll be in Charlotte at the beginning of the year, but again he's really turning heads.

Banix12
03-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, considering how young he is, the power could show up very quickly as he matures. Not to mention he was playing in a pitcher's paradise last year.

I'm not in any way suggesting that Sweeney "should" be on the major league roster at the beginning of the season, but he's really opening eyes (again) this Spring Training. I truly believe that this kid will be ready for major league action sooner rather than later. He's got the talent and he has the ability.

Some players just break into the big leagues early.

I wouldn't be shocked if he has a nice year this season down there and gets a callup at some point. But he's gotta go down there and prove it.

I'm just wary of making blanket statements based on what a player does in spring training. It's probably the worst time of year to evaluate talent.

maurice
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I'd rather stick with a struggling Anderson than replace him with Sweeney in CF for two reasons. First, if Anderson struggles, it will be with the bat not the glove. Like Ozzie, I want Anderson's defense in CF and don't really worry about his offense in the 9 hole. Second, for reasons already stated, Sweeney is even more likely to struggle than Anderson. I'd rather stick with the struggling guy than replace him with a different struggling guy.

salty99
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM
We were making our way to our seats behind home plate about 20 minutes before game time when I realized that the guy walking just slightly ahead and to my right was Kenny Williams. In a beige jogging outfit, flying under the radar as usual; not many Sox fans recognized him.

It was kind of chilly today (70 degrees!), so we left after 7. :smile:

See some of you in Tucson next weekend, I hope!

I saw Kenny on the field well before that. Also Reinsdorf and Roland Hemond were in attendence.

rdivaldi
03-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm just wary of making blanket statements based on what a player does in spring training. It's probably the worst time of year to evaluate talent.

This isn't based on spring training performance, this is based on what I've seen of him over the past couple of years. I've always been impressed by his swing, his eye, and his patience at the plate.

rdivaldi
03-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Second, for reasons already stated, Sweeney is even more likely to struggle than Anderson.

I'd lay a wager that Sweeney would outperform Anderson at the major league level this year.

Banix12
03-09-2006, 01:10 AM
This isn't based on spring training performance, this is based on what I've seen of him over the past couple of years. I've always been impressed by his swing, his eye, and his patience at the plate.

Certianly some of this is based on spring training performance, at least the talk of him making the club that started this whole conversation.

I'm content to see if he can put together another strong minor season, this time likely at AAA and hopefully with a bit more power.

I'm certainly excited about the promise he shows to be a great player. I'm just not certain he's ready yet.

rdivaldi
03-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Certianly some of this is based on spring training performance, at least the talk of him making the club that started this whole conversation.

I'm content to see if he can put together another strong minor season, this time likely at AAA and hopefully with a bit more power.

I'm certainly excited about the promise he shows to be a great player. I'm just not certain he's ready yet.

True. However, I've never doubted his ability. I agree that we'd run the risk of rushing him and he probably needs another full year in the minors. But man, the kid makes it hard not to like him.

California Sox
03-09-2006, 08:51 AM
I'd lay a wager that Sweeney would outperform Anderson at the major league level this year.

I agree in that even if he hit for no power, Sweeney's swing is so sound and his approach so ungreedy it's hard to imagine him not hitting for average. Anderson's a great athlete and when he hits them he hits rockets but he's not nearly as good at making contact.

That said, after trading Rowand, Reed, and Young, we have to give Anderson a good long shot at center. I don't believe Sweeney can play it every day and the only other guy we have is the mythic Anderson Gomes.

rdivaldi
03-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Heh, heh. Looks like Ryan hit his 3rd home run of ST today. Man is he making it tough on KW.

Randar68
03-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Heh, heh. Looks like Ryan hit his 3rd home run of ST today. Man is he making it tough on KW.

How's he making it tough on anyone? He's not a CF'er and we have a 6million dollar veteran playing RF who hit 30 HR's last year and our sparkplug leadoff man who can only play LF on a regular basis.

He's making a name for himself, basically like he does every spring.

maurice
03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Somehow I think that KW will be able to suffer through the fact that the top position prospects remaining in the system are raking this spring.
:cool:

Just before I wrote this, Fields hit another opposite field bomb. I love it when the big strong guys do that.
:gulp:

rdivaldi
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Somehow I think that KW will be able to suffer through the fact that the top position prospects remaining in the system are raking this spring.
:cool:

Just before I wrote this, Fields hit another opposite field bomb. I love it when the big strong guys do that.

I can hardly wait to get home and watch the game. I love it when the youngsters play extended innings.

rdivaldi
03-09-2006, 05:35 PM
How's he making it tough on anyone? He's not a CF'er and we have a 6million dollar veteran playing RF who hit 30 HR's last year and our sparkplug leadoff man who can only play LF on a regular basis.

He's making a name for himself, basically like he does every spring.

I agree, I doubt Ryan will make the big club. But I wouldn't doubt that the gears are turning in KWs head. I wonder if they might give him a look-see in CF in AAA?

It's nice to have these kinds of scenarios...

TaylorStSox
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
One thing I've noticed about Sweeney is the way his body's matured. When I first saw him, he reminded me of Olerud. He was tall, thin, and had that pretty swing. With the way he's growing, he's going to look like Thome in a couple years. Obviously, a guy gets bigger as he matures. Nonetheless, I was impressed.

Today, I was more impressed with his second hit than that bomb. He does such a good job keeping his hands back. I can't wait for him to come up in a couple years.

KRS1
03-09-2006, 06:45 PM

Just got back to my frat brothers APT. down here from todays game and man was Sweeney SWEET. He hit a HUGE line-drive blast that had to be 400+ feet over the RF lawn area along with another hard knock(like Ive said before, he will NEVER be the focus of my scrutiny b/c I have that much faith in him). Gload was stroking it nicely, especially considering his first AB where he waved at a terrible pitch and K'd. His HR was really more of a double knock anywhere but here and Mile-High, but it was well struck none-the-less.

Tracey breezed through his inning, even though he wasn't using his best stuff up there. Almanza was impressive, as was Reynoso despite a rough start. Paulino surprised the hell out of me with his poise and lock-down presence on the mound after his first inning jam. He definitely has the the stuff to win a spot, and he was attacking righties just as good as lefties. I have to admit I counted him out, because of his lack of experience, but his control and poise are lightyears beyond where I expected him to be this early in camp.

Great day at TEP, and a White Sox win put it over the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

California Sox
03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Has minor league spring started yet? I'm interested to know how some of the younger/non-roster guys look. Especially Lumsden.

KRS1
03-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Has minor league spring started yet? I'm interested to know how some of the younger/non-roster guys look. Especially Lumsden.

They usually start their games around the 15th or so. The big reason why KW sent a lot of guys to minor league camp, is because he wants them to get in with the club he thinks they'll be with this year, aside from the the fact that he ruled them out as options for the big club of course. Those guys, Lumsden included, are all working on the little things now in their camp(the basics, stretching out their arms and getting down the motions for pitchers, BP and fielding for the hitters), and should begin play in a week or so.

Brian26
03-09-2006, 09:48 PM
One thing I've noticed about Sweeney is the way his body's matured. ..... With the way he's growing, he's going to look like Thome in a couple years.

Not exactly the prototypical centerfield physique. :D:

maurice
03-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Since Reynoso is competing for a LOOGY spot, I wasn't particularly pleased that he walked the lefty leadoff man (even though it was a long AB). The next batter (Reed, also a lefty) stroked a line drive to the opposite field. In a real game, he probably would have been removed at that point, having completely failed in his task of retiring two left-handed batters. He subsequently redeemed himself but, like I said, he never would have received that opportunity in a real MLB game.

Tragg
03-11-2006, 01:16 AM

If one of the young pitchers strikes Ozzie's fancy, I wouldn't mind him being put on the ML roster (provided he has a reasonable minor league foundation) at the end of the pen. It worked pretty well with Cotts. It took a year or two, but that's what it usually takes.

maurice
03-13-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't mind if the pitcher matches Cotts' profile: prospect who has had many innings of success in AA.

The good news is that KW won't be able to throw them from AA directly into a starting slot (his former MO).

CWS05
03-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey guys. Does anybody know how Mike Spidale is doing in spring training? Does he have a chance to make it to the Big Leagues?

Thanks
Joe

Randar68
03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Does he have a chance to make it to the Big Leagues?

He's an organizational player. He's a long-shot to ever get more than a cup-of-coffee.

Gee
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
"Randar68" please give us your "tell it like it is" report on Gomes.:smile:

Randar68
03-20-2006, 01:03 PM
"Randar68" please give us your "tell it like it is" report on Gomes.:smile:

I've yet to see him play. He's in minor league camp. I'll see him play at some point this season and give a report at that time.

California Sox
03-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Randar,

I assume that because Carter was given a couple at bats against the Cubs that he must be doing well in minor league camp. Is that a solid assumption?

Randar68
03-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Randar,

I assume that because Carter was given a couple at bats against the Cubs that he must be doing well in minor league camp. Is that a solid assumption?

Sometimes they just need a body. I don't know the story behind this particular event, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple other guys weren't available so they just sent Carter over from the minor league camp...

Lot's of low-level guys have had spot appearances this past week. Clayton Richard got the start yesterday, Josh Hansen got some AB's, etc. Don't read too much into it at this point.

KRS1
03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Off-topic, but he's looking studly on the mound for us right now throwing 95 with a wicked breaker, and isn't missing his spots by much. Picking it up better than where he left off. I'm glad he's back and healthy as ever.

Randar68
03-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Off-topic, but he's looking studly on the mound for us right now throwing 95 with a wicked breaker, and isn't missing his spots by much. Picking it up better than where he left off. I'm glad he's back and healthy as ever.

Let's keep in mind that he was pitching through a dead-arm for most of his time in W-S his first year here.

Great to see him lighting it up, he's big-time if he can stay healthy. Much higher-ceiling prospect than the other pitching prospects we gave up this offseason.

KRS1
03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Let's keep in mind that he was pitching through a dead-arm for most of his time in W-S his first year here.

Great to see him lighting it up, he's big-time if he can stay healthy. Much higher-ceiling prospect than the other pitching prospects we gave up this offseason.

Yup, that's why I said better than where he left off. He looks like his stuff is better than when I saw him in the CWS a few years ago. Really, really smart decision by Wilder and Co. to give the guy a full season to heal before seeing action.

rdivaldi
03-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Much higher-ceiling prospect than the other pitching prospects we gave up this offseason.

I can't agree with that. Even though Lumsden is a great prospect, I don't think he has the ceiling that Gio has. You don't see many curveballs like that when watching a 19 year old.

SoxFan76
03-20-2006, 09:24 PM

He looked good. That ball was getting to home plate in a hurry, man.

Randar68
03-21-2006, 11:52 AM
I can't agree with that. Even though Lumsden is a great prospect, I don't think he has the ceiling that Gio has. You don't see many curveballs like that when watching a 19 year old.

Have you seen Lumsden's curve from behind the plate? Complemented by a 95 MPH fastball and a much more durable frame.

Lumsden has a much better fastball and his curve is little, if any, behind Gio's.

Lumsden has closer-type stuff or #1/#2 type stuff. Gio reminds me too much of Jim Parque... max-effort delivery with a small frame and a 90 mph fastball. Gio's curve is better, I agree.

I said ceiling, and Gio isn't ever going to be a 200 IP pitcher on a yearly basis nor could he be a 60-game closer out of the pen, meaning he'll never really be more than a #3 or #4 starter at tops.

Lumsden's ceiling is much higher than that.

California Sox
03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
What's Lumden's main focus for the year? Location and an offspeed pitch? Sounds like he's fairly close if we wanted him for the bullpen but in my opinion starter >>>>>> reliever. Hopefully in his first extended chance to work with our coaches while fully healthy he'll get a serviceable change and zoom up with Liotta and Broadway to become one of our top prospects.

Also, any word on how Russell has thrown this spring? He's an interesting prospect.

Randar68
03-21-2006, 01:07 PM
What's Lumden's main focus for the year? Location and an offspeed pitch? Sounds like he's fairly close if we wanted him for the bullpen but in my opinion starter >>>>>> reliever. Hopefully in his first extended chance to work with our coaches while fully healthy he'll get a serviceable change and zoom up with Liotta and Broadway to become one of our top prospects.

Also, any word on how Russell has thrown this spring? He's an interesting prospect.

Lumsden needs to work on his cutter and change after missing a full year, but being 100% is the main focus. He needs a good 3rd pitch that he can command. His control on his curve is a little too sporadic at this point, but it's such a devastating pitch coming off that 95 mph fastball. Like most young pitchers, location and offspeed pitches are the focus. Could be devastating on lefties if he commands the cutter.

Haven't heard anything about Russell yet, but he's always been an intriguing guy at his size/build. He was throwing harder this past year and if he continues to get into better shape, show a good work ethic, he has good potential.

Most of the good minor league info coming out of spring training really hits when guys start reporting to their teams.