PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/6/06

Hangar18
03-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Lots of news for chicago baseball fans, including lots of talk on sportsradio that included the words "world series" and "cubs". Juan Pierre made radio headlines over the weekend when he was asked about the possibility of leading the northside to a World Series championship, He said he "could not even imagine, the idea of a World Series being in Chicago, how great it would be for the city". Quick Hits section of the Times even chimes in on the health of The Messiah and Wood. Best part of the day though, has to be actor William Petersons stream-of-thought writings on his love for the Cubs and Bears. He talked about some of his memoribilia, and for a second, I thought I was at Ditkas again, with all of their cub and bear merchandise and NO sox stuff.
Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings for Monday March 6, 2006
Priviledged, Mega-Corporation... Cubs 43
Underdog, Ignored, Maligned...... SOX 52

dcb56
03-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Juan Pierre made radio headlines over the weekend when he was asked about the possibility of leading the northside to a World Series championship, He said he "could not even imagine, the idea of a World Series being in Chicago, how great it would be for the city".

LOL, sure thing Juan. I bet it would be even more exciting and historic than last June when the Red Sox made their first visit to Chicago since the 1918 World Series.

Chicken Dinner
03-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Too much Cub talk here in the clubhouse.

Hangar18
03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Too much Cub talk here in the clubhouse.

Im only reporting the news brother ................
But there is way too much cubs/world series talk in this town for my taste.

TommyJohn
03-06-2006, 01:00 PM

I'm still waiting for an article in which Morrissey or Frodo starts to compare
2006 to 1984. It will appear soon, bank on it.

veeter
03-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm with the group who will not rest until the Chicago media wakes up. The media and cubs are the biggest joke rolled into one. And as far as Bill Peterson goes, he needs to learn the first thing about the sport, before he pops off. The guy is an actor. The easy road or typical road, of course, is to love the idiot cubs. He and Jim Belushi should go to the gym and pump eachother.

comet2k
03-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Doctor, it hurts when I read/hear all these stories about the Cubs and the World Series! What do you recommend to stop the pain?

gbergman
03-06-2006, 05:05 PM
to much cub talk on this website. Your supposed to be Sox fans and worry about the Sox not what the Cubs are doing or what the media says. I mean come on we won are championship before they did, that should be enough if the Cubs won a world series in the next few years who cares we won ares and are trying to win more. quit worrying abnout a team that we play 6 times a year and is in the opposing league/confrence

maurice
03-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
2 sox stories

In terms of placement, the two Sox stories appeared after at least three full pages of Cubs stories and at least two other baseball-related articles. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
:rolleyes:

ChiSoxLifer
03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
to much cub talk on this website. Your supposed to be Sox fans and worry about the Sox not what the Cubs are doing or what the media says. I mean come on we won are championship before they did, that should be enough if the Cubs won a world series in the next few years who cares we won ares and are trying to win more. quit worrying abnout a team that we play 6 times a year and is in the opposing league/confrence

I like this thread. It's not about what the Cubs are doing. It's the fact that the White Sox are not getting their fair share of coverage despite doing something in Chicago that hasn't been done in 88 years. So you have to compare to the only other similar product in town. Unfortunately, it's the cubs. There's no argument over who's the better team. It's the White Sox hands down. If the coverage is based on the quality of the teams, you wouldn't even know the cubs played in Chicago. The media is pandering to the "majority" which is perceived to be cubs fans. Of course the Tribune is biased towards the cubs while the Sun-Times is just trying to sell more papers. Nationally, it looks like the White Sox are getting better coverage. Locally, the Sox are at a disadvantage. Why is this important? Because the White Sox are trying to build on their fanbase which in turn sells tickets. The extra revenue allows the White Sox to retain and procure the talent to stay competitive. Tell me that's not important to every White Sox fan? Myself as a die-hard White Sox fan just want my team to get its fair shake. Hangar, keep it going.

Chicken Dinner
03-06-2006, 08:28 PM
The bottom line is that a MAJOR media corporation owns the Cubs. They also own a nationally broadcast TV superstation. Due to the previous two reasons, the Cubs do have more fans than the Sox and the media coverage will continue to reflect that.

VA_GoGoSox
03-06-2006, 08:36 PM
The bootom line is that a MAJOR media corporation owns the Cubs.

And Hangar quantifies the effect of the tribune co. owning the chubs with his media watches. I find it to be entertaining, amusing, and useful when discussing the tribune's ownership of the chubs with fellow baseball fans.

Keep up the good work, Hangar:gulp:

kittle42
03-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Why is this important? Because the White Sox are trying to build on their fanbase which in turn sells tickets. The extra revenue allows the White Sox to retain and procure the talent to stay competitive.

Didn't they just sell 2 million tickets before the season began? :?:

ChiSoxLifer
03-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Didn't they just sell 2 million tickets before the season began? :?:

So you're saying the Sox don't need to build on their fanbase? Just as recently as 2004 the White Sox didn't draw two million in a season and they were in the playoff hunt.

hsnterprize
03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
And Hangar quantifies the effect of the tribune co. owning the chubs with his media watches. I find it to be entertaining, amusing, and useful when discussing the tribune's ownership of the chubs with fellow baseball fans.

Keep up the good work, Hangar:gulp:And don't forget this...a couple of years ago when a guy was shot to death outside Wrigley Field, the "bias" of the local sports media towards the Cubs was really put into the light when the Tribune didn't even have that story on or near its front page. It was on the lower part of the fold in the Trib's "Metro" section, and the headline was not as bold as it could've been. And here's the worst part...some editions of the Tribune didn't have that story at all in the next day's paper. That's why you see that picture of the snail on our site...some editions of the Trib had some story about giant snails. The biggest irony of that whole story was that every TV news station had that shooting as their top, or "lead" story...even WGN TV's 9 o'clock News. And to give them credit, WGN did an "above and beyond the call of duty" job in trying to be fair and unbiased in reporting that story.

Anyway, all of that is to say this...Hangar's consistent "news media" reports were a barometer as to the media bias in this town. I'm in the local media, and I can vouch for the fact until last year, there was a TON of media bias towards the Cubs, and most of it was because of the Tribune Company's ownership of the north side baseball team. He would take a lot of grief for his "media watches", but when that shooting happened, I and a lot of Sox fans thanked him for his perseverance. We all knew what a lot of people on sports talk radio were saying soon after that shooting and the coverage of it...that the Tribune Company was more interested in covering its own asset in protecting Wrigley Field rather than reporting the story as it happened. I even wrote a letter to Rick Morrissey that got published right here on WSI's "Falling Arches" (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2519) column. Hal had even written his own column (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2505)about the shooting and media bias. So in short, we all know about the bias in this town, and it's been long since exposed. Hangar's just keeping the tradition going.

Dick Allen
03-06-2006, 11:27 PM
For those of you who are tired of Hangar's rants, then don't read the frickin threads. And don't be judgmental as far as what we should concern ourselves with. If I'm interested in reading about the media bias, then that's my prerogative. Don't be telling me what I should or shouldn't be interested in.

chuckn98229
03-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Leave Hangar alone! He provides a much-needed reality check and I appreciate his diligence and perseverance. He is a modern-day David standing up to the ignorant Chicago media's Goliath. Keep up the good work!

MikeLove
03-07-2006, 04:28 AM
sorry guys, i thought this thread was about something besides the Chicago Media's covering of the whitesox. Since i got tricked into reading this thread, I might as well complain....

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
For those of you who are tired of Hangar's rants, then don't read the frickin threads. And don't be judgmental as far as what we should concern ourselves with. If I'm interested in reading about the media bias, then that's my prerogative. Don't be telling me what I should or shouldn't be interested in.

Seems that your telling me what to do.

Dick Allen
03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Seems that your telling me what to do.What I'm "telling you to do" isn't a result of being judgmental. You should know the difference.

PaulDrake
03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Despite the criticism Hanger soldiers on. Sometimes I think his complaints are much ado about nothing, but most of the time he's right on the money. Could you imagine how insufferable it would have been if the chokers of 03 had followed up and actually won something? The Rick Morriseys of the local and national media would have been overjoyed beyond compare. Let's face it, the White Sox have been fighting for their very lives ever since the time dear old Sammy started blowing kisses to the crowd. Winning the World Series was great, and nobody loved it more than this old Sox fan. There's still work to be done.

MUsoxfan
03-07-2006, 12:57 PM
To Hangar Haters....don't worry. If it's anything like last year, his ball will stop rolling about a week into the season and you'll get like 2 media updates a month