PDA

View Full Version : Puckett Has Stroke

Wsoxmike59
03-06-2006, 05:25 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/05/puckett.stroke.ap/index.html

PHOENIX - Kirby Puckett was listed in critical condition early Monday after surgery for a stroke, and the Minnesota Twins asked fans to pray for the Hall of Fame outfielder.

1951Campbell
03-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Man, 44 is young to have a stroke.

Hope he gets better.

goofymsfan
03-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Kirby has sadly passed away. Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/tributes/obit_kirby_puckett.jsp)

SoxSpeed22
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
RIP Kirby:(:

HomeFish
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I never saw Kirby play, but from what I've read, it looks like he represented everything that's good and pure about baseball. I tip my cap to him, keep his family in my thoughts, and hope that his legacy lives on long after him and inspires generations of players.

Whitesox029
03-06-2006, 11:26 PM
He will be missed. He transcended all the lines in baseball. Impossible not to like him. "Only the good die young..."

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-06-2006, 11:31 PM
RIP Kirby.
He was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, even though I wasn't a Twins fan. I still remember the day he had to announce his retirement. It's real sad the way his career and now his life were cut short. :(:

UofCSoxFan
03-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I had a poster in my room of Puck til about 4th grade with the words "Pucket Wrecking Crew..."no wall too tall."

I was at a Royals Twins preseason game when i was 7. I remember a fan heckling Puck about his large read end. Puckett smiled and said "That's not my (butt), that's my wallet." I always got a kick out of that. He also gave me a thumbs up to the sign I was holding up (what can I say I was born in Minnesota to a Twins fan...I didn't see the light til I moved to Chicago).

My aunt used to work for the Twins and knew Puck on a personal level. She has confirmed what everyone's been saying....he was just a great guy, a better person than a ballplayer...and he was a helluva ballplayer.

Deebs14
03-07-2006, 12:09 AM
He was one of my favorite ballplayers growing up, so this news certainly hit me hard when I first found out about his passing.:(:

This is very sad...44 is way too early to go.

R.I.P. Mr. Puckett.:whiner:

SoxFan76
03-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Growing up I always liked Puckett. The funny thing? I never knew why, I just liked him.

Nellie_Fox
03-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Kirby turned down bigger offers to stay in Minnesota. He was one of very few who actually acknowledged that he was already making more money than he could spend, so why not stay where he was happy and the fans loved him?

white sox bill
03-07-2006, 06:17 AM
RIP Kirby:(:

The Racehorse
03-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Kirby turned down bigger offers to stay in Minnesota. He was one of very few who actually acknowledged that he was already making more money than he could spend, so why not stay where he was happy and the fans loved him?

I remember seeing Kirby say that in an interview on TV. Those words he said regarding "making more money than he could spend, so why not stay where he was happy" probably make the Scott Boras-type-agents of the world cringe.

NoNeckEra
03-07-2006, 08:59 AM
A friend of mine got me in all four Twins home games in the '87 Series against the Cardinals and it's still ranks as the loudest stadium experience I've ever had. Puckett was one of those guys you knew would come thru for you when you needed it, and conversely, the one guy you feared the most from the opposing side of the field.

AZChiSoxFan
03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Impossible not to like him.

I'm guessing his ex-wife wouldn't agree with that statement.

miker
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
A great player with a great story. I only wish he had worn Sox pinstripes for his whole career. Rest in peace Kirby, you are missed.:(: