PDA

View Full Version : Who do you dislike more - the Cubs or Cubs Fans?

tony1972
03-05-2006, 01:06 PM
My Dad and brother are Cubs Fans and my mom and myself are Sox Fans....

It is impossible to have a baseball conversation with my dad or any type of Cubs Fan..

if the Cubs win three games in a row..they think playoffs or pennant..

every year they think the Cubs will win the World Series..

whenever discussing the Sox...they bring up attendence or the 'dangerous neighborhood', etc...never baseball...

It is the same at work or some of my friends who are Cubs Fans...it finally hit me that some of the players on the Cubs are actually decent guys and it is not the team I despise..but thier fans..

Honestly, out of curiousity...who do you despise more or find to be more annoying..

The Cubs Team?

or

The Cubs Fans...?:angry:

delben91
03-05-2006, 01:08 PM
:?:

Actually, I just love the White Sox.

VivaOzzie
03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
1) Dude, What's the Score??

2) Most Cubs fans. A few of my Cubs fan friends are actually knowledgeable about the game. They know about the Sox and I know about the Cubs...we can have an intelligent baseball conversation. The vast majority of cubs fans, however, are unaware of this concept.

And I don't blame the Cubs themselves, they are just doing their job (usually poorly). That is, until they start running their mouths (see Howry, Bob; Baker, Dusty; et al).

AnkleSox
03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
keep your eyes on the road,
your hands upon the wheel...

MarySwiss
03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
My Dad and brother are Cubs Fans and my mom and myself are Sox Fans....

It is impossible to have a baseball conversation with my dad or any type of Cubs Fan..

if the Cubs win three games in a row..they think playoffs or pennant..

every year they think the Cubs will win the World Series..

whenever discussing the Sox...they bring up attendence or the 'dangerous neighborhood', etc...never baseball...

It is the same at work or some of my friends who are Cubs Fans...it finally hit me that some of the players on the Cubs are actually decent guys and it is not the team I despise..but thier fans..

Honestly, out of curiousity...who do you despise more or find to be more annoying..

The Cubs Team?

or

The Cubs Fans...?:angry:

The fans, hands down. Or rather, the casual, moronic Wrigley Field fans. I do have some friends who really are lifelong Cub fans and, for the most part, they don't give me any ****.

Of course, that could just be because they know I'll give it right back to them! :cool: I have not had one Cub fan start up with me this offseason. Then again, what could they possibly say?

Daver
03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Sox fans that spend time obsessing over the Cubs are at the top of the dislike list.

tony1972
03-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I think that is why I became a White Sox fan (I actually had been to both stadiums as a kid in the 1970's and did support both teams)..however, I am a White Sox Fan and a baseball fan..and started to dislike the Cubs mid to late 1980's as I found more and more of thier fans to be irritating and not knowledgable about the game....

I stopped going to Cubs games altogether around 1990 and have only been to Comiskey (the Cell) since...

I guess it's because I love baseball and find a White Sox game to be more of a baseball experience than the other side of town..

I have been to Busch Stadium and love going their because they are passionate about baseball (not drinking, not being somewhere trendy, etc.).....and very knowledgable..a Cards game is the second best place to be to discuss the game (outside of the White Sox their fans are the most knowledgable)...

soxjim
03-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I would have to say it's the fans. A friend of mine at work had his picture of him and the trophy put through the shredder by a cub fan. I just got mine taken yesterday. One will go up at work, the other at home.

SoxFan76
03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Sox fans that spend time obsessing over the Cubs are at the top of the dislike list.

Come on Daver, can you honestly say you've never had a conversation with a Cub fan and gotten incredibly annoyed? They are the most ridiculous fans I've ever met in my life. Even my own mother is like that. It's really sad.

rocky biddle
03-05-2006, 02:03 PM
I can't stand the fans of Wrigley Field. I haven't had a reason to dislike the cubs team since sam left in disgrace. Real cub fans don't bother me, they've just made a poor choice. It's the "fans" that love the "wrigley field experience" that I have no time for.

Beer Can Chicken
03-05-2006, 02:15 PM
People I dislike more than the Cubs or Cubs fans...SOX fans that chant "Cubs suck!" when we arent playing the Cubs. This happened after Game 2 of the ALCS, when we were walking out of the park. I still can't believe people had Cubs on their minds after one of the greatest SOX moments of all time.

I also hold a strong disregard for SOX 'fans' that throw Home Runs back.

Hitmen77
03-05-2006, 02:22 PM
definitely the fans. I always seem to hear Sox bashing from people who are Cub fans, yet also say they think baseball sucks.

That's the most annoying thing, most people I meet who call themselves Cub fans also say they really don't like baseball. Have you ever heard even one Sox fan say they didn't like baseball? I haven't.

I want Mags back
03-05-2006, 02:25 PM
i think what i hate most are cubs fans that think sox fans care about the flubs sucking before the sox winning. thats not true. the sox are what come first to us, seeing the cubs lose is just a little added benefit. that really gets on my nerves when im wearing a sox hat, and a guy will say ur not a sox fan, ur a cubs hater.

MarySwiss
03-05-2006, 02:30 PM
i think what i hate most are cubs fans that think sox fans care about the flubs sucking before the sox winning. thats not true. the sox are what come first to us, seeing the cubs lose is just a little added benefit. that really gets on my nerves when im wearing a sox hat, and a guy will say ur not a sox fan, ur a cubs hater.

Yep. Whenever I think about the Sox winning the Series, I'm happy in this order:

1) The Sox won (ecstasy),
2) I won money (icing on the cake),
3) Cubs are still crappy (that's nice, but not essential to my personal well-being)

TomBradley72
03-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Both.

Their players are still bringing that smug "it's still a Cubs town" attitude despite the actual results on the field...I've seen it especially from Prior, Wood, Barrett and now Howry and Eyre.

The fans....no explanation needed. Except for the 10% who are true diehards that really understand baseball. For them I just feel pit that they made the wrong choice.

Pureone
03-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I have nothing against the team or the real fans, BUT I HATE the Wrigley Fans.

I don't know how they can even stand each other. :?:

Realist
03-05-2006, 03:50 PM
At least 85% of Cubs fans have the very unflattering trait of being the combination of extremely arrogant about their team and very acknowledgeable about baseball. Combine that with the fact that they haven't won a World Series in damn near 100 years and my extreme dislike for their fans is born.

Layla
03-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Interesting question.

When you get right down to it, I have learned alot about Cub fans during post season play. I had bets with three different Cubs fans at work. After we won, I started to decorate the area one works in. He leaves all my World Series stuff I put up alone. In fact, he has some connections and gave me a couple really unique World Series souvenirs. So I give him alot of credit.

On the other hand, all I hear from another one is "cheaters" and "we were five outs away in 03" and "you almost choked." So this guy can't even give credit where credit is due.

What I really find interesting is that in listening to the Score during the afternoons, you even get Cub fans getting on the case of Wrigley Field fans. They don't even like them. These fans want baseball. They don't want to buy bricks, they want a trophy.

I don't like the fan who buys into the Wrigley hype and the hype of the Cubs management staff.

hsnterprize
03-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd give it to the fans. I covered the Cubs a couple of years ago, and for the most part, the players themselves were pretty cool. They were just like anyone else doing their job. It's the fans and the "stigma" of Cubdom what really bother me. I've had discussions with "intelligent" Cubs fans, and for the most part, they don't give me any trouble. And if I do run into any obnoxious Cubs fans, all I have to say is "we're defending World Champions" or point to something that shows the Sox and/or the World Series trophy. All the talk about attendance, neighborhoods, and all that other junk usually stops then.

fusillirob1983
03-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Any of my close friends that like the Cubs are actually fans of the team and get annoyed that there's not so much of a commitment to winning. A lot of others that I've met at school probably jumped on the bandwagon around October 2003, or maybe their first visit to Wrigley when they got drunk.

soxjim
03-05-2006, 04:27 PM
A cub fan friend of mine just came over with a pizza. He admitted that my picture with the trophy looks good in my living room. Stating the SOX fans should be proud of their team.

soxfan26
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Come on Daver, can you honestly say you've never had a conversation with a Cub fan and gotten incredibly annoyed? They are the most ridiculous fans I've ever met in my life. Even my own mother is like that. It's really sad.

You know what makes it really hard to talk to Cub fans? The fact that I have no comeback when they say "Sox fans are obsessed with everything Cubs". Because for the unfortunate majority of Sox fans it's absolutely true.

I've had the benefit of living in different parts of the world and can tell you that idiot fans are everywhere. It's much easier to just ignore them.

Chisox003
03-05-2006, 05:20 PM
You know what makes it really hard to talk to Cub fans? The fact that I have no comeback when they say "Sox fans are obsessed with everything Cubs". Because for the unfortunate majority of Sox fans it's absolutely true.

I've had the benefit of living in different parts of the world and can tell you that idiot fans are everywhere. It's much easier to just ignore them.
I hate getting involved with Cubsessed threads, especially here in ****house Jr., but I must say....

I agree with you here my man...why some (most) people around here can't just drop the **** is beyond me.

Seriously, it's ridiculous :rolleyes:

oeo
03-05-2006, 05:21 PM

Yeah you do, the more you have to hear about them and what a great organization they are, the more you want to see them lose. The media bias is the reason Sox fans are "obsessed" with the Cubs, they want to see them fail because of their arrogance.

FarWestChicago
03-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I hate getting involved with Cubsessed threads, especially here in ****house Jr., but I must say....

I agree with you here my man...why some (most) people around here can't just drop the **** is beyond me.

Seriously, it's ridiculous :rolleyes:It is. They are living stereotypes, an embarrassment to this site and an embarrassment to Sox fans all over. The Flubsessed are worse than Flubs fans.

NSSoxFan
03-05-2006, 05:46 PM
It is. They are living stereotypes, an embarrassment to this site and an embarrassment to Sox fans all over. The Flubsessed are worse than Flubs fans.

FWC, have you guys thought about just banning all Flub talk?

FarWestChicago
03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
FWC, have you guys thought about just banning all Flub talk?I sure wouldn't mind it. :cool:

NSSoxFan
03-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I sure wouldn't mind it. :cool:

Viva le resistance!

Chicken Dinner
03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
It's a combo platter......But as long as they hit the century mark, I'll be happy.

SoxFan76
03-05-2006, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes:

To the anti-"flubsessed", have you never met a Cub fan in your life? I understand the White Sox won the World Series, and my hatred for the Cubs has gone down so much after October 26th. But seriously now, how can those fans not bother you? And it would be a lot easier if the Cub fluff wasn't still polluting the papers.

CLR01
03-05-2006, 05:57 PM

To the anti-"flubsessed", have you never met a Cub fan in your life? I understand the White Sox won the World Series, and my hatred for the Cubs has gone down so much after October 26th. But seriously now, how can those fans not bother you? And it would be a lot easier if the Cub fluff wasn't still polluting the papers.

Plenty and not all of them are annoying *******s. Some are but I have met fans like that for every team.

soxinem1
03-05-2006, 06:03 PM
definitely the fans. I always seem to hear Sox bashing from people who are Cub fans, yet also say they think baseball sucks.

That's the most annoying thing, most people I meet who call themselves Cub fans also say they really don't like baseball. Have you ever heard even one Sox fan say they didn't like baseball? I haven't.

Of course the cub fans saying this don't like baseball, they have never seen the game played right!!

I don't like the team itself, but the post 1984 cub fan is the worst in the sport, hands down. I'd rather sit and talk baseball with A D-ray or D-back fan than them. It's like talking to yourself.

Back in 2001 at the first Sox/cub game, these three idiot cub fans came and sat in their seats behind us and talked **** the first three innings. They were talking about a cub World Series in 2001, that the playoffs weren't even necessary. When Wells left the game with a bad back, they went ballistic. Foul-mouthed too. I asked them to watch the language since my six year old son was with me, and they replied that he'll hear worse in a SouthSide School. After I told them it would be the last time I would ask to pipe down the language, they stopped swearing, but the anti-Sox crap continued.

But right before CLee hit the game-ending GS, one these fools goes 'No World Series this year, Baylor is going to lose it for us'. Then Courtney Duncan pitches, and BOOM! Game Over, cub World Series hopes dead!

We serenaded them with NANANANA, Hey Hey Hey, as they quietly made their way out. Need I say more who I despise.

SoxFan76
03-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Plenty and not all of them are annoying *******s. Some are but I have met fans like that for every team.

I haven't. I've yet to run across a Cardinal or Indians fan who says "Sox suck, the neighborhood is full of poor black people and you can't even sell out the stadium." Yeah, that's really the kind of **** you hear growing up in the suburbs.

Cub fans are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met. It goes way beyond baseball.

"They're not all like that." I don't get that argument, because that's true for all teams of every sport. Every team in the world has that group of ignorant fans who are an embarassment to the rest of the fans. However, the ignorant Cub fans outnumber the "real" Cub fans by a whole lot.

FarWestChicago
03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
But seriously now, how can those fans not bother you?Nothing can annoy you unless you choose to let it annoy you. Take control of your own mind. And keep the Flubs crap off this Sox site while you are at it. :cool:

SoxFan76
03-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Nothing can annoy you unless you choose to let it annoy you. Take control of your own mind. And keep the Flubs crap off this Sox site while you are at it. :cool:

If everyone could be like you and never be annoyed, life would be pretty bland, wouldn't it?

FarWestChicago
03-05-2006, 06:15 PM
If everyone could be like you and never be annoyed, life would be pretty bland, wouldn't it?I didn't say I never get annoyed. But why you would let beyond insignificant Flubs fans get you so worked up is beyond me.

gbergman
03-05-2006, 06:22 PM

bet hangar appreciates hearing this

Beer Can Chicken
03-05-2006, 06:23 PM

More than 3 of my very good friends are Cubs fans. They despise the Tribune Co. They dislike how the Cubs cloud injuries to their stars. They dislike the casual fans at Wrigley who go only to drink. They are genuine Cubs fans and I respect that. Once you start typecasting people into a role, you have to be careful.
Its like saying all SOX fans have mullets, tatoos and drive Trans-Ams with t-tops.

VivaOzzie
03-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Throughout high school, if you take the group of me and my best, say 10 male friends, 10 of them were Cubs fans. They continuously gave me **** about the Sox, and I took it and fired back the best I could, even though it was me against the world. The bull**** onslaught went on through college and up until this Fall. After the Sox won, all of my female friends were like "Wow, I'm really glad for you that the Sox won, you stood with your team the whole way, despite everyone's ****."

Now I wouldn't consider myself "Flubsessed" or anything like that, but most of their fans do annoy me, and I do occasionally like to talk about them. My dislike for most of their fans isn't because I'm "Flubsessed," it is because of the years of **** I had to put up with.

I think it's ridiculous to think that we are supposed to ignore the fact that there is another team in town, of which many of our best friends are fans. Just because we are Sox fans, some people think that we are so much better that that we shouldn't even mention it. Well Sox fans are, for the most part, better fans than Cubs fans. We all know this. But that doesn't mean that we can't once in a while speak of the Cubs and some of their ridiculous fans. This being said, I understand how some people take it overboard. But I do think a lot of this semihatred for Cubs fans is warranted, within reason.

And by the way, I've been up here in Michigan for about 6 years, and I have a lot of respect for Tigers fans. They are somewhat knowledgeable, some are even diehards, and I don't see any need to speak ill of them like I do for Cubs fans sometimes.

TaylorStSox
03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
bet hangar appreciates hearing this

It wouldn't be the first time he's heard it.

Daver's spot on. I wish West and the rest of the admin's would just ban the word "Cubs" and trash this forum. This is a great site. This forum is nothing short of embarrassing though. It really is. Most people don't want to admit it, but for some "fans," the Flubsession is equally important as their love for the Sox. People need to realize that all teams have bad fans, Cubs and Sox included.

In my area, Cubs and Sox fans are distributed pretty equally. I never have a problem. Sure, there's idiots that say stupid **** at the bar. However, 95% of conversations with strangers at the bar are stupid. Alcohol makes people stupid, not being a Cubs fan.

Craig Grebeck
03-05-2006, 06:47 PM
There is no difference between Cub fans and fans of every other MLB team.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-05-2006, 06:53 PM
soxfan26][/b]

Seriously, it's ridiculous :rolleyes:

I agree on all counts.

I don't understand where all the "idiot" cub fans are. I grew up and lived on the Northwest Side my entire life. Most of my family, friends, co workers, etc. are Cub fans. They do not act like the "idiots" described on this board. They all congratulated me when the White Sox won.

I remember getting in petty arguments when I was in grammar school about who was better. I can't see anything saying more than a light hearted jab or two at most as an adult. I do not want the Cubs to win the World Series but if they do, I will congratulate the people I know because they have been lifelong baseball / Cub fans and they deserve it.

Most of the obnoxious types in Wrigleyville / Lincoln Park are not even from Chicago and are just engaging in frat boy / Trixie behavior and are not the typical Cubs fan. For the people who have lived here most / all of their lives, if they are giving your **** it is probably the result of the **** you dish out - before and after the World Series. You shouldn't have taunted Cubs fans after the World Series.

Be the bigger man (99% of women do not engage in this nonsense above light hearted ribbing). People usually treat you as you deserve to be treated / treat others. If your family member(s) are giving you **** act like the better person and do not respond. They will either give it up or if they continue, it is a lost cause and you need to stay above the fray.

Soxfanspcu11
03-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Many of my friends are Cubs fans and the sad thing is that only a slight minority actually know anything about baseball. The thing that really upsets me is the fact that they don't know a thing about baseball, go to the Urinal just to drink and "scope chicks" and yet they still talk **** to me about the Sox. That's the thing that just gets under my skin more then anything.

The Cubs are insignificant, the Sox are World Champs, the "rivalry" is over. I don't have a problem with Cubs fans that know something about baseball and give respect where it is due. But it is those Cub "fans" that are arrogant jackasses that make me so happy when the Cubs collapse every September.

How can you be arrogant when your team hasn't won a thing in 100 years????:?:

Think of it like this, we are diehard Sox fans. If someone starts insulting the Sox, it's similar to someone insulting your family or friends or girlfriend/boyfriend. It just warrants some type of response.

If Cub fans just stick to their team and stop running their mouth about the Sox, then I could care less what they do.

Unfortunately in my experience, Cub fans go out of their way to insult Sox fans. If anyone is "obsessed", it's them.

But ultimately, :whocares

We're the WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS, ARGUMENT OVER. They have NOTHING left to say.

I say we just ignore Flubs fans from now on, let them say whatever they want and continue to embarrass themselves. Besides, we have to stay focused on our repeat, we don't need distractions.

SoxFan76
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I agree on all counts.

I don't understand where all the "idiot" cub fans are. I grew up and lived on the Northwest Side my entire life. Most of my family, friends, co workers, etc. are Cub fans. They do not act like the "idiots" described on this board. They all congratulated me when the White Sox won.

I remember getting in petty arguments when I was in grammar school about who was better. I can't see anything saying more than a light hearted jab or two at most as an adult. I do not want the Cubs to win the World Series but if they do, I will congratulate the people I know because they have been lifelong baseball / Cub fans and they deserve it.

Most of the obnoxious types in Wrigleyville / Lincoln Park are not even from Chicago and are just engaging in frat boy / Trixie behavior and are not the typical Cubs fan. For the people who have lived here most / all of their lives, if they are giving your **** it is probably the result of the **** you dish out - before and after the World Series. You shouldn't have taunted Cubs fans after the World Series.

Be the bigger man (99% of women do not engage in this nonsense above light hearted ribbing). People usually treat you as you deserve to be treated / treat others. If your family member(s) are giving you **** act like the better person and do not respond. They will either give it up or if they continue, it is a lost cause and you need to stay above the fray.

I'd like to meet these fans you're talking about. So far in college I've met exactly 2 Cub fans who aren't idiots.

Craig Grebeck
03-05-2006, 08:01 PM
They're not idiots if you look beyond the fact they're Cub fans and listen to what they have to say. Seriously, what makes them idiots? I know plenty of intelligent, personable Cub fans.

kittle42
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Most Cubs fans I know are very passionate about baseball and their team. The stereotype comes from the stereotype the Trib and the Cubs organization has promoted since Harry Caray came over...the "fun in the sun, bud man, vub fan, drink til yer pukin', bleacher frat boy and trixie" crap.

The rivalry is over. The people desribed above will never change until it becomes "cool" to go to the Cell instead. And I for one hope that never happens - who the hell wants them there?

NSSoxFan
03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
The rivalry is over.

Exactly. What rivalry there was, is now over, done, zip, nada.

Chisox003
03-05-2006, 08:15 PM

My roomate's a Cub fan and we've been friends since 2nd grade.

We can and do talk baseball every chance we get. He agrees that his team is a joke, and I don't rub our championship in his face. I respect him, he respects me.

Obviously all Cubs fans aren't like that....neither are Indians fans, or Tigers fans, or Marlins fans, or whoever. Those are the ones who are the sheep. They're everywhere, and for every team. Just ****ing ignore them, and you'll be a lot happier.

And WSI will be a much better place for it.

jehosaphat
03-05-2006, 08:34 PM
FWC, have you guys thought about just banning all Flub talk?

I don't mind Cub talk on "What's the score" if it's about baseball - a possible trade, something interesting that is happening with the team, etc. - just as I don't mind insights about any other team and their players. It's fun to follow the league, and the Cubs are part of the league.

For years I've been baffled by the number of Sox fans who simply seem to hate the Cubs with all their mind and spirit. Daver is right, these people are obsessed, and it's silly and sort of pitiful. They are in the same boat as those so called "Cubs fans" who could not bring themselves to cheer on the Sox in their playoff push last year and even cheered against us when we were playing teams that nobody in Chicago should have any natural affinity for, like the Red Sox, Angels, and Astros. Resenting other people's happiness is, small-minded, petty, .... and so on.

When the Cubs were in the playoffs last, I genuinely wanted them to win, for the sake of my friends and neighbors, but also because the playoffs were more interesting to me with them in it. Granted, I couldn't help but find it amusing when they collapsed in that fateful 8th inning; I simply could not be heartbroken for them. But, I did want them to win. Why shouldn't I?

I could care less if the Cubs have "more fans" than the Sox do. I think the "attendance thing", "popularity poll", and all stories of that ilk are boring. I refuse to feel "inferior" because supposedly more people prefer the north side team than my beloved southsiders. The Sox are my team; it doesn't bother me if they aren't your team.

All I want is for the Sox to have a healthy franchise that competes year in and year out. And right now, we're healthy and competitive. The ownership and management of the Sox will have a lot more to do with the overall success of the southside franchise than anything that happens on the northside.

This concludes my rant.

PS: Why would anyone feel compelled to yell "Cubs suck" at least 50 times during a game we are playing against the Rangers? Fortunately, his voice gave out during the 7th inning.

thomas35forever
03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
If Cubs fans weren't complete idiots, I could still care less about the team, but I might enjoy going every once in a while. Fans at Wrigley Field and in the neighborhood just make the experience less enjoyable.

GoSox2K3
03-05-2006, 10:22 PM
There is no difference between Cub fans and fans of every other MLB team.

I disagree. Cub-dom is the only fan base I know of in any professional sports (or college sports for that matter) where attendance is more important than winning. They're the only ones I know that root for a stadium more than the team. I also have a hard time thinking of any other MLB fanbase that proudly calls their team "lovable losers". Not even the Red Sox fanbase sinks to this level.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in blanket statements about entire fanbases. Yes, there are good Cub fans and there are jerk Sox fans. But, I have to say that Cub-dumb in general is in a class by itself.

SoxFan76
03-05-2006, 10:36 PM
I disagree. Cub-dom is the only fan base I know of in any professional sports (or college sports for that matter) where attendance is more important than winning. They're the only ones I know that root for a stadium more than the team. I also have a hard time thinking of any other MLB fanbase that proudly calls their team "lovable losers". Not even the Red Sox fanbase sinks to this level.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in blanket statements about entire fanbases. Yes, there are good Cub fans and there are jerk Sox fans. But, I have to say that Cub-dumb in general is in a class by itself.

Yeah I don't know where he got that one. Cub fans are one of a kind.

It's Time
03-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Exactly. What rivalry there was, is now over, done, zip, nada.

That couldn't be more opposite of the truth. This thread is proof alone that you're wrong. If they win a WS anytime soon, tell me if you still feel that way.

When you share a city with a team, you are ALWAYS looking to get an edge. What you are saying is like saying Michigan ST and Michigan aren't rivals.

White Sox/Cubs>>>>>>MSU/Michigan.

kittle42
03-05-2006, 10:57 PM

Only to certain cross-sections of Sox fans, thankfully.

sullythered
03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Wait, there's another baseball team in this town? Huh, I didn't realize...

VivaOzzie
03-05-2006, 11:30 PM

I've been a Sox fan since about '89, I've been an MSU fan since I started there in '00. From what I've seen, Sox/Cubs doesn't hold a candle to MSU/Michigan. Just go to a MSU/Michigan tailgate.

MSU/Michigan>>Sox/Cubs

SouthSide_HitMen
03-05-2006, 11:43 PM
MSU/Michigan>>Sox/Cubs

Alabama over Auburn >> MSU / UM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl

In Michigan, Columbus and elsewhere, they have basketball and professional sports to follow / cheer for (MSU / UM fans are Dead Wings fans, Pistons fans, Tigers fans, Lions fans, etc.). In the State of Alabama, there is one game, one sport and two teams that dominate every conversation in the state. No, it is not the White Sox' Double A Birmingham team. The day, the game, the year rides on The Iron Bowl.

It has been a very sad 4 years for the SouthSide_HitMen, World Series set aside. Alabama went 10-2 and won the Cotton Bowl but the year was a failure as the two game slump at the end of the season was capped with a 28-18 loss to end the regular season.

Roll Tide Forever, War Eagle NEVER!

Alabama 38 :supernana:
Auburn 31 :angry:

VivaOzzie
03-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Alabama over Auburn >> MSU / UM

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Some even argue UofM/OSU > MSU/UofM. I know that as far as college rivalries go, there are many more intense than MSU/UofM. But the point is, pretty much any college rivalry is more intense than Sox/Cubs. In comparison, Sox/Cubs really doesn't seem like much of a rivalry at all.

beckett21
03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Some even argue UofM/OSU > MSU/UofM. I know that as far as college rivalries go, there are many more intense than MSU/UofM. But the point is, pretty much any college rivalry is more intense than Sox/Cubs. In comparison, Sox/Cubs really doesn't seem like much of a rivalry at all.

The tOSU/UM rivalry gets my vote. It is ridiculous. My father in law is a die-hard Bucks fan, and you can't even joke with him about Michigan without fear for your health. It is a life or death situation.

Fortunately, I can't stand UM any more than he can, so we get along great. :redneck

VivaOzzie
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Fortunately, I can't stand UM any more than he can, so we get along great. :redneck

Yep, that's why I tend to get along really well with fans of tOSU and Notre Dame. Nothing like mutual hatred. :D:

beckett21
03-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Yep, that's why I tend to get along really well with fans of tOSU and Notre Dame. Nothing like mutual hatred. :D:

I married a Buckeye, so I live vicariously through her during football season since I obviously don't have much to cheer for myself. :redneck

I know that the Alabama/Auburn rivalry is off the charts as well; I just can't personally relate to it like I can the midwest rivalries.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-06-2006, 12:09 AM

I agree - outside of the White Sox playing the Cubs in the World Series, the interleague games are like a spring training game next to many collegiate or even professional sports rivalries. The fact of the matter is we are in different leagues and only started playing regular season games with this Selig scheme.

Certain fans may act like idiots but that doesn't make it a great rivalry. Dodgers vs. Giants, Bears vs. Packers, Red Sox vs. Yankees, Cardinals vs. Cubs, Canadians vs. Bruins, Canadians vs. Maple Leafs, Devil Rays vs. Marlins. These are rivalries forged over decades of intense, yearly competition where you play your rival more than any other team in the sport and than fight them for the division or in the playoffs.

This is why I don't consider the Cubs a major rival. Sure you want the White Sox to do better but outside of the last decade's contrived interleague series and 1906 when several thousand fans watched the World Series, the matchups were "Crosstown Classic" charity exhibition games.

New York is our team's greatest long term rival, especially for our great teams in the 1950s who would win 90 + games and fall short (except in 1959). The Royals were on our radar screen when George Brett played and now it is Minnesota and Cleveland who have taken over as the must win games / series. It is about winning the division, not so called bragging rights.

If I could either sweep (or buy tickets for that matter - the JOE CREDE!!! game topped any Cubs game I've been to) Cleveland in September or the Cubs in May, I'll take Cleveland without knowing what the standings would be entering the September series. The fact we can gain three games on the top challenger in the division means more than wins over the Cubs or Tampa or even Kansas City (in our division, not a threat).

Just my thoughts on the rivalry (or lack thereof).

Ron Karkovice
03-06-2006, 01:02 AM
I've been trying hard lately to not have hate for cubs fans. It's sort of hard because I was honestly raised to love the Sox and hate the cubs. My Grandpa and Dad pounded it into me for as long as I can remember. My grandpa always had some kind words in regards to sammy sosa over the past 8 years :tongue:

Daver and all you other guys who dislike the "flubsessed," I can totally understand it. It has actually made me think twice about wearing my "cubs suck", "Cork" and other tshirts. Here at U of I, i've ran into many people many people who use the attendance and neighborhood argument against me. A couple weeks ago, a kid in my dormhall put a picture on his door that showed empty sox seats saying "where were you all in April." Of course I wrote "preparing for a champagne mess in october", I had to.

I'm getting better about not caring about Cub's fans though!

The Critic
03-06-2006, 03:27 AM
My friend's brother was giving me the A-word spiel today.
"The Cubs have sold out their whole schedule already, now THOSE are great fans!"
Then he says THIS:
"And that's WITHOUT winning anything!! Sure, the Sox can sell tickets after winning the World Series - who couldn't??"

The kicker?
The guy's wearing a Sox World Series hat while he's saying this!!!:?:

I just kept smiling and told him to enjoy the attendance trophy, I'll enjoy the one the Sox EARNED last October.....and to stop wearing that hat. :D:

Cat Thief
03-06-2006, 08:23 AM
My friend's brother was giving me the A-word spiel today.
"The Cubs have sold out their whole schedule already, now THOSE are great fans!"

Did you ask him where he heard this?

The Critic
03-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Did you ask him where he heard this?

Nahhh, he talks so much garbage that I just figured his blather wasn't based on any facts.
I just find him funny. He falls into every negative stereotype of the Cubbie fan.

Hangar18
03-06-2006, 08:51 AM
I hate the Arrogance of the "fans". I hate the arrogance of the Organization. And I really hate the players like Todd Walker and Juan Pierre, who long to "play in wrigley" simply because of what they hear in the media. These guys know playing there is a country-club mentality, or going to minimum security federal prison.

TomBradley72
03-06-2006, 08:54 AM
It's a rivalry primarily for the fact the all of the fans co-exist in the same geographic location. Similar to two local high schools or colleges that are in the same area but play in different conferences, etc. Since interleague play began...a true on field component has been added...and every game delivers a play off like intensity if not the same implications.

If you're a native of Chicago....you deal with the Cubs every single day (fans, media, etc.)...it's bound to drive some antagonism. 99% of it is all in the good natured fun that makes sports such a great diversion.

I don't really get all these posts about "banning" the Cub related threads. It seems pretty easy to see a topic and not open the thread if you're not interested.

TornLabrum
03-06-2006, 09:02 AM
It's a rivalry primarily for the fact the all of the fans co-exist in the same geographic location. Similar to two local high schools or colleges that are in the same area but play in different conferences, etc. Since interleague play began...a true on field component has been added...and every game delivers a play off like intensity if not the same implications.

If you're a native of Chicago....you deal with the Cubs every single day (fans, media, etc.)...it's bound to drive some antagonism. 99% of it is all in the good natured fun that makes sports such a great diversion.

I don't really get all these posts about "banning" the Cub related threads. It seems pretty easy to see a topic and not open the thread if you're not interested.

Unfortunately some of us pretty much to read all the threads. Those would be the mods, many of whom are pretty much sick of the Flubsession threads. I think I have less of a problem with them than, say, FWC or Daver, but the quantity of these threads is getting to be a bit much considering we've won it all and the Cubs have won nothing.

I think I have less trouble with the threads that point out pro-Cubs or anti-Sox bias in the media. After all, counteracting that is one of the reasons WSI has become such a popular site. I don't have a problem with particularly egregious examples of Cub-fan stupidity. However, it's getting to the point with that type of tread that we've read it all before.

Yes, we know Cubs fans harp on attendance because they have nothing else to hang their hats on anymore. But do we need to hear every encounter that everyone here has with Cubs fans in which Cubs fans behave stupidly? That's where I get to be a bit intolerant.

IMHO posting about Cub-fan encounters should be limited to the particularly stupid. As for this particular thread, I've been seeing variations on it here for years. It gets tiresome.

white sox bill
03-06-2006, 09:07 AM
I gotta tell you, the overwhelming cub fans I know are decent. I had 2 cub fans over to my house watching the final game last yr and when the final out was made, they were hooting and hollering more than I was.

Railsplitter
03-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Cubs fans, no doubt.

Remember back in '84 when they whined about the playoff format? (best of five, homefield privlige going to the West Division team.) Some idiot Sclub fans (sorry didn't mean to be redundant) actually thought a best of seven would bring the series back to Chicago!

Cubs fans are whiney, ignorant and and obsessed with irrelevant matters, such as all the tourists who inflate the Wrigley attendance figures each year.