PDA

View Full Version : As if the Yankees couldn't be more pompous...

buehrle4cy05
03-04-2006, 09:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/news/story?id=2354461

*******s. We all don't like the WBC, but that is just that Yankee "we're better than you" mentaility.

oeo
03-04-2006, 10:07 PM

*******s. We all don't like the WBC, but that is just that Yankee "we're better than you" mentaility.

I like the WBC. :(:

samram
03-04-2006, 10:14 PM
What kind of fans would show up to the park not knowing who was going to be on the field? I can't think of any of fandom that would do that.......:whistle:

beckett21
03-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I like the WBC. :(:
I think he meant *we* as in *all other MLB teams* due to the potential for injury to their players. That's the way I read it anyway.

samram
03-04-2006, 10:22 PM
I think he meant *we* as in *all other MLB teams* due to the potential for injury to their players. That's the way I read it anyway.

Eh, maybe, but it later said the the Yankees don't support the WBC and that it's Selig's idea. That sounds as if they're trying to separate themselves from the rest of baseball.

beckett21
03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Eh, maybe, but it later said the the Yankees don't support the WBC and that it's Selig's idea. That sounds as if they're trying to separate themselves from the rest of baseball.

Good point.

munchman33
03-04-2006, 11:12 PM
If the Yankees don't support the WBC, then why are so many of their players participating?

Sounds more like Steinbrenner doesn't support the WBC, and is upset so many of his players aren't supporting him.

RadioheadRocks
03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
If the Yankees don't support the WBC, then why are so many of their players participating?

Sounds more like Steinbrenner doesn't support the WBC, and is upset so many of his players aren't supporting him.

He needs to chill, I mean it's not like they've all decided to band against him by growing beards!

DSpivack
03-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Yankees? Yawnkees more like it. The Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox, Florida Marlins, Anaheim Angels, and Arizona Diamondbacks have won it since the Yanks did. :tongue:

MUsoxfan
03-05-2006, 03:18 AM
I'm with George on this one. The WBC is a sham. He knows it, I know it...and alot of other people know it.

paciorek1983
03-05-2006, 09:05 AM
I love it that a team is speaking out against the WBC. I don't like it either. I hope the WBC fails.

SOXSINCE'70
03-05-2006, 09:16 AM
The WBC is a sham.

:KW
"Dammit,I hinted at that weeks ago!!":D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
03-05-2006, 09:18 AM
What kind of fans would show up to the park not knowing who was going to be on the field? I can't think of any of fandom that would do that.......:whistle:

Both you and I know the answer to that question.:D:

HomeFish
03-05-2006, 11:37 AM

The Yankees ARE better than me, you, and the 29 other MLB clubs. When me, you, or one of the other 29 MLB clubs has 26 World Championships, then we can talk about the Yankees like that. Until then, they have the trump card on us.

Save McCuddy's
03-05-2006, 12:02 PM

For good or for bad, the Yankees are bigger than the WBC and bigger than the rest of us. Occasionally they like to remind us of that fact.

oeo
03-05-2006, 12:04 PM
The Yankees ARE better than me, you, and the 29 other MLB clubs. When me, you, or one of the other 29 MLB clubs has 26 World Championships, then we can talk about the Yankees like that. Until then, they have the trump card on us.

Bull, I love how everything comes back to championships. The Yankees cannot just go on blabbing about whatever they feel like, they should be supporting Selig's decisions, at least publicly. They don't get to do whatever they feel like because they won 26 championships...where do you get that idea from?

HomeFish
03-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Bull, I love how everything comes back to championships. The Yankees cannot just go on blabbing about whatever they feel like, they should be supporting Selig's decisions, at least publicly. They don't get to do whatever they feel like because they won 26 championships...where do you get that idea from?

In strict legalist terms, you are correct, the Yankees are still subjects of Lord Selig and must do his bidding with full compliance.

In reality, 26 world championships in little over a century is as good of a reason to have a superiority complex as anything else.

SOXSINCE'70
03-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Occasionally they like to remind us of that fact.

If "occasionally" is every friggin' season,you're correct. :rolleyes:
I know you guys are God's gift to baseball.Now shut the **** up
and move off to the side as the White Sox attempt to win
back to back championships.:angry: :angry:

HomeFish
03-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Let me point out that I think that anti-Yankee hatred is harmful to the game. If we define "non-Yankee" as "good", as we do when we say that Yankees = evil, what we are saying is that we are declaring winning championships, spending money to field a winner, etc. to be bad things. When we hate on the Yankees, we are celebrating mediocrity.

Rather, we should look up to the Yankees and attempt to be like them. I don't mean be like the recent no-pitching, no-chemistry Yankee clubs, but be like the Yankees have generally behaved over their long, triumphant history.

oeo
03-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Let me point out that I think that anti-Yankee hatred is harmful to the game. If we define "non-Yankee" as "good", as we do when we say that Yankees = evil, what we are saying is that we are declaring winning championships, spending money to field a winner, etc. to be bad things. When we hate on the Yankees, we are celebrating mediocrity.

Rather, we should look up to the Yankees and attempt to be like them. I don't mean be like the recent no-pitching, no-chemistry Yankee clubs, but be like the Yankees have generally behaved over their long, triumphant history.
First of all, anti-Yankee haters would be Yankees fans.

Now, why do you think championships have anything to do with the situation? People do not view Yankees as evil because they win, they view them as evil because of stupid **** like this...thinking they're better than everyone else (like you agree with). 26 championships has nothing to do with the way they should act. Yes it's a nice feat, but it shouldn't separate the Yankees from MLB.

You still have not told me why you think championships have anything to do with the way your organization should act. The Yankees are not "better" than any other MLB team.

HomeFish
03-05-2006, 12:33 PM
First of all, anti-Yankee haters would be Yankees fans.

Not necessarily. I am using "anti-Yankee" as an adjective. An "anti-Yankee hater" is therefore one who both hates and is anti-Yankee. I believe this is a reasonable use of the English language.

Now, why do you think championships have anything to do with the situation? People do not view Yankees as evil because they win, they view them as evil because of stupid **** like this...thinking they're better than everyone else (like you agree with). 26 championships has nothing to do with the way they should act. Yes it's a nice feat, but it shouldn't separate the Yankees from MLB.

You still have not told me why you think championships have anything to do with the way your organization should act. The Yankees are not "better" than any other MLB team.

If you assume that the purpose of a baseball team is to win championships, then it could be argued that the Yankees have demonstrated a long-term superiority over all other ballclubs, and therefore have a right to act superior.

If you resent this, the better approach is not to fall into mediocrity-worship, but to try to outYankee the Yankees.

DSpivack
03-05-2006, 01:03 PM
If you resent this, the better approach is not to fall into mediocrity-worship, but to try to outYankee the Yankees.

Well, if this was 2000, then sure I might agree with you. But they've made some bone-headed moves since then and haven't won anything since losing to the DBacks in 2001. I don't want the Sox to strive to sign a guy who had one good year to a ridiculous contract, or be stuck with $200 million in payroll and clearly not be the best team, on paper.

Right now the White Sox are in a much better situation, both short and long term, so I don't envy the Yankees. In fact, I kind of enjoy having a team think that just because they have 26 championships and spend more than anyone else, means that they should be favorites to win the WS every year. Hey, it's no coincidence--White Sox=World Series. WS. :rolleyes:

oeo
03-05-2006, 01:51 PM
If you assume that the purpose of a baseball team is to win championships, then it could be argued that the Yankees have demonstrated a long-term superiority over all other ballclubs, and therefore have a right to act superior.

:rolleyes:

If the Yankees were the class organization they claim to be, they wouldn't come off as arrogant. That's exactly what they are and what you are claiming...they feel they're superior to the rest of MLB, but in all reality they are the arrogance of MLB.

HomeFish
03-05-2006, 02:18 PM
:rolleyes:

If the Yankees were the class organization they claim to be, they wouldn't come off as arrogant. That's exactly what they are and what you are claiming...they feel they're superior to the rest of MLB, but in all reality they are the arrogance of MLB.

I never said the Yankees were classy. To be honest, I find their "class" schtick to be a bit tedious, if not hokey. I just said that they have a right to be arrogant.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-06-2006, 01:52 AM
"We are sorry that certain players will not be present for portions of spring training."

Yea, we are SOOO sorry you wouldn't be seeing them for the Three innings a game you would have in years past.:rolleyes:

Save McCuddy's
03-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Well, if this was 2000, then sure I might agree with you. But they've made some bone-headed moves since then and haven't won anything since losing to the DBacks in 2001. I don't want the Sox to strive to sign a guy who had one good year to a ridiculous contract, or be stuck with $200 million in payroll and clearly not be the best team, on paper.

Please don't argue like this in public. You'll only embarass the rest of us.

Since their last WS title in 2000, the Yankees have won their division every year including AL pennants in 2001 and 2003. They have three times won more than 100 games in that span. Not sure what you're definition of "anything" is. We have a total of 4 division titles and one trip to the World Series since divisional play began in 1969. We have never won 100 games.

By a guy with one good year signed to a ridiculous contract, I can only guess that you're talking about Jaret Wright or Carl Pavano. Pavano signed for 9 mil/yr. had back to back seasons in Fla with 200 plus innings and arrived in NY hurt. J. Wright (5.6 per) had a comeback year in '04 with Atl. and inspired hope that he would regain the promise of his early years when he beat the Yankees in the '97 AL Div. Series helping the Indians to the WS. Either way, you would be correct to label these as bad signings -- however, it doesn't matter -- the Yankees have an unsinkable war chest and can afford to miss on free agent signings just as they can afford to pay a portion of Jose Contreras's salary while he's leading us to a title. If you want to rant about how this is unfair -- fine. But to ridicule them for using their advantages to win and consistently do so, you end up sounding "ridiculous". Time better spent would be to rip the futile Mets for their hopeless spending that has them watching the Braves winning umpteen Divisional Titles in a row with a considerably smaller payroll.

Beating the Yankees is the only way to deal with their arrogance. We've accomplished it once now -- well twice when you count '59. I'm ready to do it again and thankful that they're hear to beat. They seem to make winning more satisfying.

SoLongFrank
03-06-2006, 04:43 PM
He cares about the NY Yankees. The rest of MLB represents an obstacle to winning another championship. The WBC represents an added risk with no gain that makes that obstacle stronger.

Put another way, why should he care about the WBC when he doesn't even care about the Royals, Devil Rays, Marlins, A's, or Twins? There are plenty of teams in MLB that need Yankee appearances more than the WBC.

I think ST is the worst time imaginable for this event. If an injury does occur there's not enough time to keep it from impact the ML season. Shifting this to Nov after the World Series makes more sense. Most of the games will occur in the tropic zone anyways so the weather should be good.

SoxFan76
03-07-2006, 01:44 AM
I never said the Yankees were classy. To be honest, I find their "class" schtick to be a bit tedious, if not hokey. I just said that they have a right to be arrogant.

I'm with you. The Yankees have every right to act the way they do as an organization. I don't hate the Yankees because they WIN. And they do it CONSISTENTLY. They annoy me, but I respect them. Unlike the Red Sox who whine and think they are God's gift to the sport. The Red Sawx bother me 10 times more than the Yankees ever will.

Then again I wasn't a Sox fan in the late 50's. I really don't have much of a reason to hate them considering I'm 20 years old.

soxfanreggie
03-07-2006, 02:05 AM
The one thing I hope is that George makes some more signings that don't pan out. Once Bernie, Mussina, R. Johnson, Giambi, Posada, etc. are off the books, they are going to have over $100 mil to spend on more talent. They already got Kevin Brown off the books...the others will be off sooner or later. The Yankees do have 5 of 22 players making under $1,000,000 on their current payroll. I think at one point last year, they had one starter under $1 mil.

HotelWhiteSox
03-07-2006, 02:30 AM
I don't see the 'we're better than you' attitude, I just see this as George's way of showing how he hates the WBC (he does pay big bucks for his players to be under contract of the NY Yankees during this time period), and an encouragement for fans to dislike it or complain to MLB if they are mad about some of those players being there.