PDA

View Full Version : Mark Prior Injured?

infohawk
03-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I just heard on the Score that several people suspect that something is wrong with Mark Prior. They played a clip where Steve Stone was pointing out that something is wrong when a guy like Prior, who has always had impeccable command of his pitches, has suddenly lost his control. Stone thinks something is wrong. The hosts went on to question whether or not the Cub organization is concealing information again. They remarked how Dusty Baker sounds like he is already providing excuses to prepare people for any setbacks that Prior might have.

A Cub fan then called in and just lost his composure raging against the Tribune. The guys said that he is sick of Prior and Wood being unhealthy and generally fed up with the entire Cub organization. The guy said that the Cubs are already done if they have to rely on Jerome Williams, Glendon Rusch and a past-his-prime Greg Maddux. He proclaimed that he was "done" with the Cubs.

Anyone have any more information? This is just a summary of a few minutes of the Score that I heard while going to the store.

oeo
03-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Aww yes, finally the day when people turn against the Cubs.

I find it extremely funny there is speculation that Dusty Baker is preparing excuses. :rolling:

What a joke that organization is...

Beer Can Chicken
03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I just heard on the Score that several people suspect that something is wrong with Mark Prior. They played a clip where Steve Stone was pointing out that something is wrong when a guy like Prior, who has always had impeccable command of his pitches, has suddenly lost his control. Stone thinks something is wrong. The hosts went on to question whether or not the Cub organization is concealing information again. They remarked how Dusty Baker sounds like he is already providing excuses to prepare people for any setbacks that Prior might have.

A Cub fan then called in and just lost his composure raging against the Tribune. The guys said that he is sick of Prior and Wood being unhealthy and generally fed up with the entire Cub organization. The guy said that the Cubs are already done if they have to rely on Jerome Williams, Glendon Rusch and a past-his-prime Greg Maddux. He proclaimed that he was "done" with the Cubs.

Anyone have any more information? This is just a summary of a few minutes of the Score that I heard while going to the store.
I imagine that if he can't face live hitting yet, something is wrong. Who knows how serious it is...

JB98
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM

I find it extremely funny there is speculation that Dusty Baker is preparing excuses. :rolling:

I don't think the masses have turned on them yet. Just wait until about August 1st this year. The Cubs will be 5-10 games below .500, settling in for another fourth-place finish. Meanwhile, the Sox will be in contention again. Once people on the North Side realize that 2006 is another lost year for their Cubbies, that's when the anger will really erupt.

dickallen15
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Considering he supposedly was healthy at the end of the season, it does raise red flags that he isn't able to pitch in an exibition game yet. It may be the reason Hendry was supposedly willing to deal him this off season.

samram
03-04-2006, 07:37 PM
They've been talking about this for two weeks. Prior has been on a special routine which doesn't involve him throwing off a mound like, say, a healthy pitcher would do. The Cubs say there's nothing wrong with him, but they haven't exactly been honest about player health for the last three or four years.

As much as I dislike the Cubs, I think it would be a shame if Prior wasn't able to achieve his potential due to injury.

DrCrawdad
03-04-2006, 07:41 PM

I wonder how much "In Dusty We Trusty" tee-shirts are selling for now?

beckett21
03-04-2006, 07:42 PM
They've been talking about this for two weeks. Prior has been on a special routine which doesn't involve him throwing off a mound like, say, a healthy pitcher would do. The Cubs say there's nothing wrong with him, but they haven't exactly been honest about player health for the last three or four years.

As much as I dislike the Cubs, I think it would be a shame if Prior wasn't able to achieve his potential due to injury.

As a fan of the great game of baseball I agree wholeheartedly. I'd love to see what he could do if he was 100% healthy.

Frater Perdurabo
03-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I want to make it absolutely clear that I never, ever wish injury on any player whatsoever. Still, I'm glad the Sox didn't make the rumoured 3-way deal with the Cubs and the Orioles in which the Sox would acquire Prior.

beckett21
03-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I want to make it absolutely clear that I never, ever wish injury on any player whatsoever. Still, I'm glad the Sox didn't make the rumoured 3-way deal with the Cubs and the Orioles in which the Sox would acquire Prior.

There's nothing wrong with your statement. There is a morbid sense of relief when one dodges a bullet.

I do hope that he's healthy though, same with Wood. I don't care who they play for.

JB98
03-04-2006, 07:52 PM
There's nothing wrong with your statement. There is a morbid sense of relief when one dodges a bullet.

I do hope that he's healthy though, same with Wood. I don't care who they play for.

I'd rather all the Cubs stay healthy too. That way, their fans have no excuses for their incessant losing. :D:

beckett21
03-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I'd rather all the Cubs stay healthy too. That way, their fans have no excuses for their incessant losing. :D:

Exactly.

It's a lot more rewarding when they crap their pants at full strength. :cool:

Layla
03-04-2006, 08:04 PM
I heard this too.

Another point they made is that no one has seen Prior yet. He's been talked about, but no one has seen him.

Kinda makes you wonder?

TornLabrum
03-04-2006, 08:15 PM

I imagine the teal ones will be selling like hotcakes.

TomBradley72
03-04-2006, 08:20 PM
It seemed kind of telling a few weeks ago when Prior responded to Baseball Prospectus report....the one thing he did NOT say was "I'm 100% fine"....he said alot of other stuff...but never made that statement.

WSox8404
03-04-2006, 08:23 PM

Who cares about that shirt. I am waiting in line to buy my $160 brick so people can walk all over me for the rest of my dreary, downtrodden, cubloving life.

Layla
03-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Who cares about that shirt. I am waiting in line to buy my $160 brick so people can walk all over me for the rest of my dreary, downtrodden, cubloving life.

Yesterday, the Score was talking about this too.

If they sell all 50,000 bricks, they will make $8 million.

LongLiveFisk
03-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Yesterday, the Score was talking about this too.

If they sell all 50,000 bricks, they will make $8 million.

I heard about that. The Cubs organization is saying, "we want to pay tribute to our fans by letting them pay to have a message engraved in one of our bricks."

That would be like me saying that I want to pay tribute to WSI by offering a $200 donation, and by the way, you owe me $200 for your tribute, WSI. :rolleyes:

KRS1
03-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I in no way shape or form have any knowledge of the situation, or even care for the matter, but I would suspect any injury he has now might be related to the liner he took off his bow last season. I recall him having a hairline fracture in it at the time, and often when breaks happen a calcium deposit forms around it to aid proper bone healing. Now I'm not saying this is the case at all, but if he is hurt I would imagine he either has a deposit that needs to be shaved down, or bone spurs that were a product of throwing with one.

beckett21
03-04-2006, 10:01 PM
I in no way shape or form have any knowledge of the situation, or even care for the matter, but I would suspect any injury he has now might be related to the liner he took off his bow last season. I recall him having a hairline fracture in it at the time, and often when breaks happen a calcium deposit forms around it to aid proper bone healing. Now I'm not saying this is the case at all, but if he is hurt I would imagine he either has a deposit that needs to be shaved down, or bone spurs that were a product of throwing with one.

Interesting theory.

What you are referring to is secondary bone healing, or bone callus formation. This usually occurs when there is motion at a fracture site, causing excess bony formation. These often remodel over time, but they can leave residual bone spurs so to speak.

Hard to say if this is the problem or not, but it is an interesting observation on your part nonetheless. I never thought of it that way. I kind of doubt it, but of course I have no more knowledge of the situation than you do.

gobears1987
03-04-2006, 10:14 PM
As a fan of the great game of baseball I agree wholeheartedly. I'd love to see what he could do if he was 100% healthy.I agree, just make it after the Cubs deal him.

DSpivack
03-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Wow. Scary news for the already questionable Cubs team this year. Wood I think they already know they won't get much from him, possibly never again a starter, but Prior is another story.

itsnotrequired
03-04-2006, 11:01 PM

Any starting pitcher not throwing off the mound at this point is far from being all right.

heeman31
03-05-2006, 01:58 PM
It seemed kind of telling a few weeks ago when Prior responded to Baseball Prospectus report....the one thing he did NOT say was "I'm 100% fine"....he said alot of other stuff...but never made that statement.

...probably misses his old glasses.

Beer Can Chicken
03-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Any starting pitcher not throwing off the mound at this point is far from being all right.

You know, those mysterious throat infections really affect the throwing arm!

Layla
03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
You know, those mysterious throat infections really affect the throwing arm!

I thought it was a respiratory infection.

About 7 years ago I had severe bronchitis. I was out of work for three weeks. And, it seemed to take forever to get my energy back.

Besides, I'm still hearing shoulder problems about Prior.

Iwritecode
03-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't think the masses have turned on them yet. Just wait until about August 1st this year. The Cubs will be 5-10 games below .500, settling in for another fourth-place finish. Meanwhile, the Sox will be in contention again. Once people on the North Side realize that 2006 is another lost year for their Cubbies, that's when the anger will really erupt.

Yet they'll still have 40,000 sheep filling the place everyday. Not even 1/3 of them will know who Mark Prior is though...

FedEx227
03-05-2006, 08:04 PM
I definetly think hes injuried... like most said on here, if he was healthy at the end of the last year (like the Cubs told us FWIW aka Nothing) then why isn't he throwing off a mound? Why isn't he doing the same things as Zambrano and the Crew. Its just mind-boggling how the Cubs will not admit ANYTHING anymore.