PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Autographs

0o0o0
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
what are your favorite, funniest, or strangest autographs from former or current sox players?

favorite - frank thomas framed photo

funniest - when i was about 8 yrs old, my dad took my brothers and i to the airport to try and see some sox players either before or after a roadtrip, i don't remember. anyway, we saw ozzie, ivan calderon, and melido perez in an airport bar and approached them for autographs. ivan calderon apparently was hungry and had me go around the corner a snack bar and get him a hot dog. he let me keep the change, a dollar, and signed it.

strangest - not from me, but a few yrs ago at sox fest some guy was getting a lamp shade signed by everyone. not a sox lamp shade, just a lamp shade.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Favorite was this one..

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54094

JohnBasedowYoda
03-04-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm not an autograph hound so I only have the two I got from Soxfest this year, Cotts and Konerko

Beer Can Chicken
03-04-2006, 12:06 PM
There is only one thing creepier than grown men asking for autographs...

tick53
03-04-2006, 12:43 PM
I had a chance to go to the Seasons Ticket Holders Party at the Cell
(Comiskey then) in '94. I was held in the Bullpen Bar on a Saturday. They had
a stack of free '94 programs at the door. I had Billy Pierce, Beltin' Bill Melton
and Carlos May sign it for me. The line for Minnie was too long. It was great to talk to them guys. Melton was hilarious and I was in awe of Billy. May was
cool too.

The Chairman was there, but I did'nt get a chance to talk to him. He did say
"Thanks for coming, fellas"; when we walked out on the field. :smile:

Whitesox4ever
03-04-2006, 12:51 PM
My fav autograph is from Lou Gehrig that my dad got when he was a kid and gave it to me when I was age 7

rookieroy
03-04-2006, 02:11 PM
About 10 years ago at the South Chicago Expo, I saw a guy with this old. petrified lemon. He already had Chet Lemon sign it previously and he was getting Bob Lemon to sign it at this show. He thought he was real funny. I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Weird. :?:

StockdaleForVeep
03-04-2006, 02:47 PM
my faves are the only ones i got

Ozzie and Crede from harrahs
Gary glover
Jose Canseco

Brian26
03-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Estaban Loaiza has the messiest autograph I've ever seen.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-05-2006, 11:48 AM
The strangest one was when my mom and I went to River Oaks in Calumet City to meet Bill Melton. It was some little card convention and Bill got his own booth, looked like Lucy's from the Charlie Brown cartoon. (All that was needed was a sign: "The Melton Is In.") It was one autograph per person, and the picture he was signing was the infamous HR champion pose. Well, the lady behind us found that out and was disappointed because she wanted one for herself, too. My mom said she'd get mine if I was willing to help.
But, before I got that chance, there's my mom talking with Bill Melton like they were old friends. Mom remembered the commercial he did with Pat Kelly & someone else where they were in the shower - and started singing it to him: "Switch on, here comes another Chevrolet..." Bill laughed and couldn't believe somebody still remembered that ad. He told her it was like 35 degrees the day they filmed it and the water was ice cold. They did the shoot at 6am and he wasn't too happy about it, but did it anyway. Then he gave a really nice "Was really nice meeting you, Carol, thank you for bringing that memory back. I'm so glad you came by." I'm not quite sure, but I think Bill stepped from behind the booth and gave her a hug.

So, me - masquarading as a guy named "Frank" - wasn't too bad, just to see my mom get a huge kick out of making Bill Melton blush with embarrassment.

soxwon
03-05-2006, 11:52 AM
bo jackson, frank thomas in ST, one year
also albert belle is prized, i meet albert in a bar, he was very nice
we talked baseball for about a half hour, he even bought me a beer.
THEN HE TRIED TO RUN ME OVER WITH HIS CAR LOL.

ChiFabulous1
03-05-2006, 03:22 PM
My favorite is my Autographed picture of Micheal Jordan in his sox jersey. Not that I would ever sell it, but I could never find a similar one to price it against.

soxinem1
03-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Back in 1988, I was at Comiskey, seats by the Sox bullpen. Barely 15 minutes to game time. Only about 10,000 would show up that night.

I look off to my right and I see a familiar face sitting there in cutt-off uniform pants and a sweat shirt, wearing a pair of headphones, listening to his Walkman.

It's Jerry Reuss......

I had the dugout scorecard on me from the previous game he pitched, which was a real gem. I went up and asked him if he could sign it, and he gave me the silliest response:

'Let me sit here and finish listening to this tape, and I will sign it for you after the game by the clubhouse door. I don't want all these fans running up to me for autographs.'

All these fans!! There were maybe 500 people in the OF at the time, and none of them knew who he was!!

But true to his word, he was waiting for me after the game by the CH door, and signed the card very nicely.

Now the worst autograph experience? Steve Carlton, without a doubt! Total jerk, Lefty was.