PDA

View Full Version : Getz Among Top 2b Prospects

KRS1
03-03-2006, 08:19 PM
He's #8 according to a site I read baseballexaminer.com...... I have been waiting for a Sox to get on the list so I could have reason to post their list. They have already done C, and 1b.

http://baseballexaminer.com/PositionalTop10s/2006secondbasemen.htm

Great to see him get some recognition after such a short Pro career. Here's to hoping his power comes with time to make him a great all-around player.

ChiSoxRowand
03-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Great to see him get some recognition after such a short Pro career. Here's to hoping his power comes with time to make him a great all-around player.

His power will never come.

doublem23
03-03-2006, 09:43 PM

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/stories/20050712boone,-bret.jpg
All second basemen can hit 40 home runs if they just put their minds to it. And take 'roids.

TaylorStSox
03-03-2006, 09:55 PM

I agree, but it doesn't matter. As long as he continues to catch the ball, draw walks, hit for average, and steal bases he'll be an MLB player.

MadetoOrta
03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I'll take an Adam Kennedy any day of the week.

ChiSoxRowand
03-04-2006, 02:32 AM
I agree, but it doesn't matter. As long as he continues to catch the ball, draw walks, hit for average, and steal bases he'll be an MLB player.

I'm not saying it does, I'm just saying that people shouldn't get their hopes up about him developing power. You have to love his on base percentage.

California Sox
03-04-2006, 01:47 PM
I'll take an Adam Kennedy any day of the week.

Kennedy has average power. More like Chone Figgins or Pods playing 2b.

Mr. Downtown
03-05-2006, 07:19 PM
He is a really good baseball player. There's a reason that the Sox took him as the their first position player in the draft last year. He didn't just play on the Cape.....he was an All Star on the Cape. Thursday he made a tough play against the Rockies while playing ss.

He's going to make it and Sox fans will be very happy that he did.

maurice
03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
He looked good when I saw him, but he was playing against a lot of younger players. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what he can do in the high minors.

ondafarm
03-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Unlike the scouts who make these lists, I am not in love with power. Your secondbaseman should be sure handed and a good defender. If he hits above .300 and has an OBP over .350, I don't care if he ever hits a homerun. The guy will be productive. I am concerned that he's 22 in low A ball. That puts him in the majors no earlier than in 3 years and 26 is an old rookie.

voodoochile
03-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Unlike the scouts who make these lists, I am not in love with power. Your secondbaseman should be sure handed and a good defender. If he hits above .300 and has an OBP over .350, I don't care if he ever hits a homerun. The guy will be productive. I am concerned that he's 22 in low A ball. That puts him in the majors no earlier than in 3 years and 26 is an old rookie.

I assume he went to college and that is why he is so old. Players like that tend to move through the ranks more quickly.

maurice
03-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he skips Winston-Salem and starts the year in AA Birmingham.

Randar68
03-16-2006, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he skips Winston-Salem and starts the year in AA Birmingham.

That might surprise me a little. Last year the people getting excited about him were pretty ready and willing to ignore the fact that he is an experienced college player in a major program and Low-A is about equivalent... he should have been tearing it up...

What he does in AA will give a good idea of his future.

rdivaldi
03-16-2006, 01:45 PM
What he does in AA will give a good idea of his future.

Yeah, I totally agree with that. College players should rip up rookie and low A ball. Adv-A is a slightly different story, I've seen quite a few good college players scuffle in Winston-Salem. But AA should show the true measure of Getz's ability.

ondafarm
03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
He looked good when I saw him, but he was playing against a lot of younger players. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what he can do in the high minors.

You know, looking at the rosters of a lot of the teams in the South Atlantic League, I just don't see Getz as terribly out of place, age-wise. Sure, their were younger players, but their were older players as well. I was alittle surprised, when I played in Japan, kids straight out of high school filled the lower classes and at 27 I was the oldest player in the league. By 28 I was older by a decade than many of my opponents and several teammates. One big reason I was there, a veteran catcher adds on field discipline to the team.

Randar68
03-16-2006, 03:33 PM
You know, looking at the rosters of a lot of the teams in the South Atlantic League, I just don't see Getz as terribly out of place, age-wise. Sure, their were younger players, but their were older players as well. I was alittle surprised, when I played in Japan, kids straight out of high school filled the lower classes and at 27 I was the oldest player in the league. By 28 I was older by a decade than many of my opponents and several teammates. One big reason I was there, a veteran catcher adds on field discipline to the team.

Yes, but the older kids are almost never prospects. Average age in those leagues is scewed by the Leo Daigles and instructional catchers on the rosters and the Kenny Ray types...

FOR A PROSPECT, he was pretty old for his level. He played 3 years of high-level D1 baseball. He's not much of a prospect if he doesn't destroy low-A pitching as a contact/slap hitter.

California Sox
03-16-2006, 04:15 PM
I think Getz is a very low ceiling prospect who has a good shot of reaching that ceiling. But that said, low class A is not an unusual place to start a career for a non-first round college pick. Reed started at Kanny and made it to the majors fairly rapidly.

I agree that he needs to be challenged and would be surprised if he didn't spend at least half a season at Birmingham this year. Then we'll have a pretty decent idea what we got there. Best case scenario: David Eckstein.

KRS1
03-16-2006, 04:39 PM
I think Getz is a very low ceiling prospect who has a good shot of reaching that ceiling. But that said, low class A is not an unusual place to start a career for a non-first round college pick. Reed started at Kanny and made it to the majors fairly rapidly.

I agree that he needs to be challenged and would be surprised if he didn't spend at least half a season at Birmingham this year. Then we'll have a pretty decent idea what we got there. Best case scenario: David Eckstein.

I dont care to compare him to any MLB players, but I do think Eckstein is a good comparison of what to expect from him. However, I do think he has a little bit(and that A LITTLE BIT) higher ceiling than being a David Eckstein.

All this talk of where he should be gets me excited about how our high minors IF will shake-down. So far it looks like Getz will be battling it out with Gonzalez for AA 2b, or if he(Gonzo) is up in Charlotte(as it looks very likely he will push Reyes for the spot next to Lopez), it looks like Getz Vs.Gray Vs. Acosta for Bham's 2b next to Valido. Lot's of variable for those two spots. I really should be watching more B games to see the deal, but I promise I'll be down in Tucson for the next two weeks b/c of spring break.

Let me add, the only reason I didnt include Adam Ricks in this competition is that I think we should be trying him out full time as a catcher.

maurice
03-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Are both Reyes and Gray still in the organization? I didn't see either of them in Tucson, but I wasn't looking too hard.

IIRC, Gray got dropped from the Barons' roster late last season. He's a good example of a guy who did well in Kannapolis at age 23, got promoted to AA the next year, and then fell off the map.

Jim Busby
03-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Gray is sign with Detroit Farm System & Reyes sign with a Independent League. They not with the White Sox Farm System any more.

I dont care to compare him to any MLB players, but I do think Eckstein is a good comparison of what to expect from him. However, I do think he has a little bit(and that A LITTLE BIT) higher ceiling than being a David Eckstein.

All this talk of where he should be gets me excited about how our high minors IF will shake-down. So far it looks like Getz will be battling it out with Gonzalez for AA 2b, or if he(Gonzo) is up in Charlotte(as it looks very likely he will push Reyes for the spot next to Lopez), it looks like Getz Vs.Gray Vs. Acosta for Bham's 2b next to Valido. Lot's of variable for those two spots. I really should be watching more B games to see the deal, but I promise I'll be down in Tucson for the next two weeks b/c of spring break.

Let me add, the only reason I didnt include Adam Ricks in this competition is that I think we should be trying him out full time as a catcher.

KRS1
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Gray is sign with Detroit Farm System & Reyes sign with a Independent League. They not with the White Sox Farm System any more.

Well, my bad indeed. Thanks for that news, even if it reads like crap.:tongue:

That pretty much makes a clear way for Getz in Bham should he prove himself in camp better than Acosta(which is likely). Lopez was optioned to AAA, so I will assume he'll stay there, and Gonzalez is probably in line for the 2b job there, with Fields at third and Hummel acting as utility. Bham could look something like Schnurstein at third, Valido at SS, and Getz at second. Not bad for the fans who attend those games.

If I might add the reason why I assumed Gray was still with us is because of Phil Rogers' BA chat.

"Phil Rogers: Gray's a disappointment, not a washout, and he did jump a level. The threat to him comes from Getz, because they're similar players. He needs to step up in 2006."

Now that I think about it, he didnt seem to be too in touch with the goings on of our farm system during the chat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, to correct your point on Gray, BA has him as signing with the Phillies org.

"Philadelphia Phillies
Signed LHP Robert Cochran, RHPs Matt Parris and Nick Mattioni, 2B Bobby Scalesand C Dusty Wathan. Signed 2B Carlos Leon, SS Jesus Merchan and 3B Antoin Gray."

Mr. Downtown
03-18-2006, 10:04 PM
He's on the 40 Man roster. Wednesday he singled off of Nomo and had a triple as well. Ozzie was there.... and so was everyone else. Have some faith in your front office. The boy can play.

CleeFan101
03-29-2006, 12:57 AM
hopefully in the future it will be him and Valido leading off at the top of our order...

soxinem1
03-29-2006, 07:05 AM
I assume he went to college and that is why he is so old. Players like that tend to move through the ranks more quickly.

Wow, 22 is so old!:rolleyes:

You are right, college players, after four years of prep, are usually 21-22 before they go pro. I don't see him being old at all, especially considering guys do three level jumps during the season all the time. So Getz could jump to AAA by end of the 2006 season if he proves he can handle it.

Randar68
03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Wow, 22 is so old!:rolleyes:

You are right, college players, after four years of prep, are usually 21-22 before they go pro. I don't see him being old at all, especially considering guys do three level jumps during the season all the time. So Getz could jump to AAA by end of the 2006 season if he proves he can handle it.

The problem was that he was FAR more experienced than his competition in Low-A. He's old for that league and his extensive college experience exacerbates that, especially for someone who is a slap/contact-hitter and not a power hitter.

The eye-rolling at people who want to make this kid out to be the next stud lead-off man is more warranted than the dismissive attitude the FOCG give when his age and experience are listed as reasons why he is currently being overhyped based on production in low-A.

KRS1
03-29-2006, 10:58 PM
The eye-rolling at people who want to make this kid out to be the next stud lead-off man is more warranted than the dismissive attitude the FOCG give when his age and experience are listed as reasons why he is currently being overhyped based on production in low-A.

Agreed on the first part, Getz is not a lead-off man. He is more of a 2 hitter, and he would be valuable as an anchor man also, but no way is he fast enough to be a very effective leadoff guy. His scouting tape has him at around 4.15-4.25 from home to first, and that out of the lefty box isnt burner type speed. He looks like a 20-30 steal guy right now, and he hasnt been super succesful thus far; swiped 13 got caught 5 times(although the guys with cannons for arms but no hitting skill do tend to play where he has).

California Sox
04-01-2006, 12:21 AM
No surprise here.

http://www.al.com/barons/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/114380068866940.xml&coll=2

This year should give us a pretty good idea what kind of prospect Getz is.