PDA

View Full Version : Carrie Wood to undergo surgery once again

VivaOzzie
03-03-2006, 03:31 PM
PEORIA, Ariz. -- Chicago Cubs (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chn) pitcher Kerry Wood (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5982) will have minor arthroscopic surgery on his right knee next week, general manager Jim Hendry said Friday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2352970

This guy is a joke. Does he really think he deserves a paycheck?? :dunno:

SOXPHILE
03-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Just heard it on the Score too. Going by the way that north side organization releases information, when they say minor arthroscopic surgery on his knee, that means he is having both of his knees completely replaced.

Hangar18
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2352970

They said Minor surgery....................he should be ready to go in 3-4 weeks shouldnt he?

Nellie_Fox
Just heard it on the Score too. Going by the way that north side organization releases information, when they say minor arthroscopic surgery on his knee, that means he is having both of his knees completely replaced.No, amputated at the knee.

skottyj242
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
So what the guy is injury prone, we get it. Why do people really care?

VivaOzzie
03-03-2006, 03:39 PM
They said Minor surgery....................he should be ready to go in 3-4 weeks shouldnt he?

You'd think so, especially with the way Carrie battles through injuries.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
I love how the team keeps announcing that he and Prior are "on track and looking good". What a crock. I don't think Prior has even thrown to live batters yet. Has Wood even pitched off the mound? Throwing a towel off the mound doesn't count.

What a disgrace...

crazyozzie02
03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Ive have had this surgery and it is extremly painful, but you can get going again pretty quick. But isnt this his 10 "minor" injury?

samram
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I love how the team keeps announcing that he and Prior are "on track and looking good". What a crock. I don't think Prior has even thrown to live batters yet. Has Wood even pitched off the mound? Throwing a towel off the mound doesn't count.

What a disgrace...

I know. When I heard it on the Score, I just thought to myself "What are they doing over there?" They just don't seem to have any real clue what's going on with their players; or they do and just refuse to be honest about it any way. It would be nice if any of the media in this town had the balls to ask.

cheeses_h_rice
03-03-2006, 03:50 PM
New Cubs team picture:

http://www.trainweb.org/panama/old/trainwreck.jpg

Iwritecode
03-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I did some snooping on a few other message boards (the ones where the members actually listen to 720 instead of 670) and it sounds like he'll be able to pitch again in 10 days or so and it should only set him back "a few days".

It only hurts when he runs or turns, not when he's pitching but they are worried about it getting worse and causing him to change his mechanics later in the year. So it's somewhat precautionary...

0o0o0
03-03-2006, 03:53 PM

but he's got so much potential

Tekijawa
03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I know. When I heard it on the Score, I just thought to myself "What are they doing over there?" They just don't seem to have any real clue what's going on with their players; or they do and just refuse to be honest about it any way. It would be nice if any of the media in this town had the balls to ask.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
The sad thing is that the Cubs can't seem to part with Wood. Every year is supposed to be his breakout, 20 win, 300K Cy Young campaign. But instead of breaking out he keeps breaking down. And they keep hanging on to him. Are these recurring breakdowns a consequence of being rushed back from injury repeatedly? How many seasons has he pitched completely healthy?

palehozenychicty
03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
The sad thing is that the Cubs can't seem to part with Wood. Every year is supposed to be his breakout, 20 win, 300K Cy Young campaign. But instead of breaking out he keeps breaking down. And they keep hanging on to him. Are these recurring breakdowns a consequence of being rushed back from injury repeatedly? How many seasons has he pitched completely healthy?

Because they KNOW that if he leaves the Cubs, he'll start winning.

Tekijawa
03-03-2006, 03:59 PM

It's not easy to dump an often injurred pitcher on someone at 10+ Million a year.

cheeses_h_rice
03-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Totally off-topic, but I moved cubes yesterday to a different floor in my building, and there's a woman on the floor whose name is Cari Woods. I **** you not. Inside, I was cracking up when I saw her nameplate.

dickallen15
03-03-2006, 04:02 PM

The guy makes $9 or 10 million a year. He wouldn't be easy to trade unless you wanted to eat a lot of the contract. I think there is an option on his contract next season. Another year in 2006 like the past couple, and he gone.

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Totally off-topic, but I moved cubes yesterday to a different floor in my building, and there's a woman on the floor whose name is Cari Woods. I **** you not. Inside, I was cracking up when I saw her nameplate.

:hijacked:
Continuing our stroll through irrelevance, there's a guy named Ken Williams in my organization. Every time I see an e-mail from him, I expect he wants to run some trade ideas past me. But his e-mails are in code, so when I reply "What about Griffey???" he just gets flustered and ignores it.

VivaOzzie
03-03-2006, 04:06 PM
when I reply "What about Griffey???" he just gets flustered and ignores it.

:kneeslap::rolling:

SOXintheBURGH
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Continuing our stroll through irrelevance, there's a guy named Ken Williams in my organization. Every time I see an e-mail from him, I expect he wants to run some trade ideas past me. But his e-mails are in code, so when I reply "What about Griffey???" he just gets flustered and ignores it.

Daleks will be in your office by the end of the month.

cheeses_h_rice
03-03-2006, 04:11 PM

Nice.

You should invite him to go out to eat at the local Chinese buffet, and then make jokes about him not flipping over any tables.

SOecks
03-03-2006, 04:12 PM
All the article says is "arthroscopic surgery". For what though? I had it done for a medial meniscus tear back in the days and wrestled in a tournament 10 days later so I can see it being a quick recovery if it's something like that.

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Because WOOD sells jerseys for the Sheep to buy. WOOD sells the tickets when they talk about 1998 and the 20 k's. Those "fans" think every year is 1998 again ....... They sell the Sizzle and not the Steak 8 miles north ......
thats why they chase the big name players so much .......... So the Sheep will buy, and spend, and drink, and buy some more .......................

Iwritecode
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Because WOOD sells jerseys for the Sheep to buy. WOOD sells the tickets when they talk about 1998 and the 20 k's. Those "fans" think every year is 1998 again ....... They sell the Sizzle and not the Steak 8 miles north ......
thats why they chase the big name players so much .......... So the Sheep will buy, and spend, and drink, and buy some more .......................

It's a good theory but I'm gonna go with his monster contract and inability to stay healthy as the reason they can't (not won't) get rid of him.

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 04:17 PM
It's not easy to dump an often injurred pitcher on someone at 10+ Million a year.

dont underestimate Jim Hendry. There are always the Mets' and the Orioles' of the world to take your garbage for you.

gobears1987
03-03-2006, 04:28 PM
All the article says is "arthroscopic surgery". For what though? I had it done for a medial meniscus tear back in the days and wrestled in a tournament 10 days later so I can see it being a quick recovery if it's something like that.Yeah but when Magglio Whoredonez underwent an arthiscopic surgery for his meniscus tear, we were told 7 weeks. I don't buy this 3-4 week BS. Oh and that Magglio timetable was before we knew he had other stuff wrong. Just for the meniscus tear.

It's Time
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
dont underestimate Jim Hendry. There are always the Mets, PIRATES' and the Orioles' of the world to take your garbage for you.

Fixed!

soltrain21
03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
but they are worried about it getting worse and causing him to change his mechanics later in the year.

That would be the best thing to ever happen to him.

LongLiveFisk
03-03-2006, 06:35 PM

I think my paycheck and his should be switched. I know for a fact I do more work than this clown!

JohnBasedowYoda
03-03-2006, 06:47 PM
At what point does someone have to stand back and look at the big picture? I think to blame are all his old coaches going back to h.s. for not trying to help them change his delivery.

I know a lot of people that could've done something in baseball (my brother included). But because of selfish coaches who don't care about the kids future.......

Maybe they did try and help KW, but mostly they only care about the here and now.

MarySwiss
03-03-2006, 07:08 PM

What a disgrace...

There was a blurb in today's Arizona Republic that said that Prior "could face hitters in batting practice next week."

Gee, I wonder what team's batting practice he'll be throwing at?

Steelrod
03-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Has anyone calculated how much Woods has earned per start. I would be surprised if he hasn't made more per start than any other pitcher in the history of the sport. He makes Albert Belles last contract look cheap!

FedEx227
03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I would be surprised if he hasn't made more per start than any other pitcher in the history of the sport.

I'm pretty sure Darren Driefort would hold that distinction... him or Bobby Seay

alohafri
03-04-2006, 06:21 PM
The sad thing is that the Cubs can't seem to part with Wood.

Because every 18-26 year old girl has threatened to never go to The Shrine again if they trade him.

LongLiveFisk
03-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Because every 18-26 year old girl has threatened to never go to The Shrine again if they trade him.

LOL...to tell you the truth, I think they find Prior cuter. :redneck

Layla
03-04-2006, 09:07 PM
LOL...to tell you the truth, I think they find Prior cuter. :redneck

to tell you the truth, I don't think either one of them is cute.:D:

slavko
03-04-2006, 10:11 PM
You can't blame the guy for not having surgery when he needed it because management thought he could go to the bullpen and help a club that was 8 games out and floundering (at the time) in the wild card "race."

Maybe he should have stood up to the suits and said "I Need Surgery. Now. Not a trip to the bullpen for your imaginary wild card race."

StillMissOzzie
03-05-2006, 02:21 AM
No, amputated at the knee.

:rolling:

And then the other shoe will drop (pun intended):

CubSpeak: "Wood's recovery is coming along nicely"
Truth: He's been fitted with one of Bill Veeck's wooden legs in yet another feeble attempt to end a curse.

SMO
:D: :gulp:

BackNBlack
03-05-2006, 01:36 PM
As much money as they make you'd think they could get rid of the HMO policy. :rolling:

MarySwiss
03-05-2006, 01:42 PM
According to today's Arizona Republic, Wood is scheduled to throw off the mound tomorrow, one day before the surgery.

Can anybody explain to me the logic behind this? :?:

soxjim
03-05-2006, 01:53 PM
To my understanding it's a clean up procedure, why now is beyond me. The logic of the cubs is not there. Reason number 1908 why I hate the cubs.

MarySwiss
03-05-2006, 02:07 PM
To my understanding it's a clean up procedure, why now is beyond me. The logic of the cubs is not there. Reason number 1908 why I hate the cubs.

No, I meant what is the point of having him throw off the mound--or anywhere else, for that matter--if he's having surgery the next day? Do they want to make sure he's good and injured? I just don't get it; this seems stupid even for the Cubs.

soxjim
03-05-2006, 02:17 PM
No, I meant what is the point of having him throw off the mound--or anywhere else, for that matter--if he's having surgery the next day? Do they want to make sure he's good and injured? I just don't get it; this seems stupid even for the Cubs.
My friend said about the same thing as you. That there is no point. He also thinks that unless Wood changes his delivery, he is done.

itsnotrequired
03-05-2006, 02:18 PM

Supposedly, the injury doesn't affect his pitching at all. It only comes into play when he runs.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a run-around to me, all right...

Layla
03-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I had heard that Wood didn't even want to have the surgery, but the Cubs talked him into it.

Iwritecode
03-05-2006, 05:17 PM

From what I heard it's because it could start hurting even more later in the season causing him to screw up his mechanics even worse than they already are.

They want to get it out of the way early.

mjharrison72
03-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Saw this on the Score's front page and thought it was hilarious:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4044&d=1141675526

kevin57
03-06-2006, 10:14 PM
What the Cub organization says and what the reality is are, sadly, two very different realities.

They will have to learn what so, so many others have had to learn...the cover-up is a far worse situation than the actual problem.