PDA

View Full Version : Jeez


Daver
01-11-2002, 02:07 PM
How much of a hole is this going to put in Bud's "we're losing money"theory?

http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20020110/373909.html

voodoochile
01-11-2002, 02:22 PM
"It's very clear from this process there were not rules, the rules were changed hour by hour, bidder by bidder," Reilly said.

Gee, what a shock...

cheeses_h_rice
01-11-2002, 03:10 PM
New York attorney Miles Prentice has said he bid $750 million for the team -- $50 million more than Dolan's latest bid -- but the Red Sox have insisted his financing arrangements were incomplete, which Prentice denies.

Soon we will see the first $1 billion franchise. Amazing.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Soon we will see the first $1 billion franchise. Amazing.

They're all going broke as they get rich? Somebody is playing against the Red Sox 162 games every year.

cheeses_h_rice
01-11-2002, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know exactly how long Selig is contractually able to be commissioner of baseball? Who chooses him for that post?

I think it's becoming painfully obvious that he needs to go, and someone with at least a scoche of credibility take his spot.

Daver
01-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Does anyone know exactly how long Selig is contractually able to be commissioner of baseball? Who chooses him for that post?

I think it's becoming painfully obvious that he needs to go, and someone with at least a scoche of credibility take his spot.

The baseball owners,in there infinite wisdom,just gave Bud a three extension in November.

Oh Happy Day

cheeses_h_rice
01-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by daver


The baseball owners,in there infinite wisdom,just gave Bud a three extension in November.

Oh Happy Day

Wow, that's great news. I'm speechless with joy.

SOXSINCE'70
01-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice


Soon we will see the first $1 billion franchise. Amazing.

I'm amazed the Yankmees aren't near there yet. :(:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
I'm amazed the Yankmees aren't near there yet. :(:

IIRC, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees for $10 million from CBS in 1973. What a steal! If he elected to sell today, I'm sure the franchise would go for over $1 billion. If the Red Sox are worth $700 million+ from at least two competing bidders, the Yankees have a price tag with nine zeroes.

RichH55
01-14-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


IIRC, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees for $10 million from CBS in 1973. What a steal! If he elected to sell today, I'm sure the franchise would go for over $1 billion. If the Red Sox are worth $700 million+ from at least two competing bidders, the Yankees have a price tag with nine zeroes.

Didnt George have a ridiculous deal worked out a couple of years ago where he was going to cash in big time AND still maintain control of the yankees? A charmed life out there...always pissed me off when they would talk about the Yankees and always mention their "home-grown" talent as if Finances have nothing t do with thier winning...You know Minnesota and even KC get homegrown players and Oakland is a breeding ground for the league...its doesnt matter if you grow your own players if you cant afford to keep them when the FA bell rings...its great that Jeter and Williams came up through the farm...its not like the yankees arent paying them premiums values...c'est la vie