PDA

View Full Version : New Sign on Cell

twsoxfan5
03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
The World Series Champs sign is now on the side of the Cell facing the Dan Ryan. I saw it on my way into the city this morning on the train. It says home of the 2005 World Champs and then there is a Sox symbol on the side. I was kind of wondering why the word "series" was left out but it still looks very cool. I am glad they put it up there b/c I thought they were just going to leave the banner up with Ozzie hands holding the trophy and this is more perminant.

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 09:48 AM
So... uhh... like... can someone race down there today with their digital camera? :cool:

World Champs sounds better than World Series Champs.

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 10:26 AM
....... I am glad they put it up there b/c I thought they were just going to leave the banner up with Ozzie hands holding the trophy and this is more perminant.

this sign your talking about, with just Ozzies hands holding up the Trophy
is actually on the hamster entrance ramp and it faces 35th street, not the Ryan. Are you saying they repainted the Signs that face the Dan Ryan?

twsoxfan5
03-03-2006, 12:26 PM
this sign your talking about, with just Ozzies hands holding up the Trophy
is actually on the hamster entrance ramp and it faces 35th street, not the Ryan. Are you saying they repainted the Signs that face the Dan Ryan?

Yes they have re-painted or put up a new sign to replace the old one that just said, "Home of the Chicago White Sox." That sign now says "2005 World Champs." The Ozzie sign on the hampster ramp is still there.

batmanZoSo
03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
So... uhh... like... can someone race down there today with their digital camera? :cool:

World Champs sounds better than World Series Champs.

Amen. When did it become World Series Champs, anyway? Wasn't it always World Champions? I like that better, it's more arrogant. More American. :wink:

jackbrohamer
03-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Amen. When did it become World Series Champs, anyway? Wasn't it always World Champions? I like that better, it's more arrogant. More American. :wink:

This may just a conspiracy theory, but I've read (probably here) that they used the phrase "World Series Champs" to beef up the claim that the World Baseball Classic winner will be the "World Champion".

I have no idea if that has any basis in reality though.

Chicken Dinner
03-03-2006, 12:39 PM

I'll take either one.

NoNeckEra
03-03-2006, 12:43 PM
So... uhh... like... can someone race down there today with their digital camera?
How do you RACE down to the Cell these days with all the construction? And it's Friday to boot!

skottyj242
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
I've been referring to them as World Champoins of the World.

Chip Z'nuff
03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
How do you RACE down to the Cell these days with all the construction? And it's Friday to boot!

The "construction" hasn't started yet all lanes will be open till Apr 1

twsoxfan5
03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
This may just a conspiracy theory, but I've read (probably here) that they used the phrase "World Series Champs" to beef up the claim that the World Baseball Classic winner will be the "World Champion".

The thing is the sign does not even say "World Series Champion" but rather "2005 World Champions" with a Sox logo next to it. I thought this was a little strange but I like it any way they put it.

Chicken Dinner
03-03-2006, 12:47 PM

Kind of like the LA Angles of Anaheim

SOXPHILE
03-03-2006, 12:50 PM

I've been calling them the Champions of the Universe. I haven't seen any teams from Neptune, Mars, or anyone from the Andromeda galaxy stepping up to challenge them.:tongue:

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 12:53 PM

If thats the case, why dont the WHITE SOX just represent the USA?

samram
03-03-2006, 01:07 PM

Yeah, I like World Champions too. What was really dumb was that the Astros were referred to as the Wild Card champions before winning the NL. The whole point of the wild card is you weren't a champion of anything.

nlentz88
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
If thats the case, why dont the WHITE SOX just represent the USA?

Oh man! If the entire 2006 Sox team faced off against the national teams in the WBC, I think they would do pretty darn well. The Dominican team may give them some trouble, but with the Sox' pitching, anything is possible.

skobabe8
03-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I witnessed the guy putting the sign up around 3pm on thursday, so I'm gonna go ahead and say I was the first to see it. :tongue: I took a picture of it and will upload it tomorrow.

0o0o0
03-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I like World Champions too. What was really dumb was that the Astros were referred to as the Wild Card champions before winning the NL. The whole point of the wild card is you weren't a champion of anything.

they were champions of the teams that weren't good enough to be champions

JKryl
03-03-2006, 03:00 PM
It took them long enough. They wasted a whole winter of gloating time. That sign should have been up November 1st.

TheDarkGundam
03-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that was here, but I think it was someone who was upset over MLB and the media constantly refferring to it as "The Fall Classic" instead of "The World Series".

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
It took them long enough. They wasted a whole winter of gloating time. That sign should have been up November 1st.

Agreed. That sign shoudlve been ready morning of 10/27! That sign on the highway is like a free billboard for the SOX. Someone did say to me just now that the sign looks GREAT!

ChiSoxGirl
03-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I witnessed the guy putting the sign up around 3pm on thursday, so I'm gonna go ahead and say I was the first to see it. :tongue: I took a picture of it and will upload it tomorrow.

:worship: skobabe8 for having his camera in tow when being around the ballpark! Can't wait to see that picture!

kevaoc76
03-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I took this with my phone on the way home from work today...sorry about the poor quality...but you get the idea.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-03-2006, 07:44 PM
I took this with my phone on the way home from work today...sorry about the poor quality...but you get the idea.

That's flavor country my friend

Hoffdaddydmb
03-03-2006, 07:50 PM

That's still pretty sweet. Thanks for the pic!

esbrechtel
03-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Man Now I Really Cant Wait For Opening Day When The Flag Is Up There!!!!!

mweflen
03-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Oh man! If the entire 2006 Sox team faced off against the national teams in the WBC, I think they would do pretty darn well. The Dominican team may give them some trouble, but with the Sox' pitching, anything is possible.

I wish something like that would happen - like the WS champ would then (soon after the playoffs) face the Japanese team, or be entered as the US team into a 'final four' type deal. one game playoffs, no huge injury risk or whatever. just 3 or 4 more games to secure some more bragging rights for one nation's team.

This WBC nonsense is ridiculous - right before spring training like this, it just results in a watered down exhibition game.

The US team should either be the WS champ or the All-Star team. The WBC should be either at the all star break or right after the WS.

Soxfanspcu11
03-04-2006, 01:53 AM

I drove past at around 4 yesterday (thursday) and it looks AWESOME!!!

CaptainBallz
03-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Wow, just a bit slow on that sign, huh?

p.s. WBC shall die!!!

IronFisk
03-04-2006, 03:29 AM

Double amen bro!