PDA

View Full Version : Brawls at the ballpark

0o0o0
03-03-2006, 01:37 AM
anyone ever been to any games at old comiskey or the cell and seen a bench clearing brawl? the only one i've witnessed was vs. the red sox when we had george bell and i think it was aaron sele that hit him and bell proceeded to charge the mound and pretty much get body slammed by mo vaughn. as ugly as it was, that was definitely an exciting game to be at.

DrummerGeorgefan
03-03-2006, 02:49 AM
sox-tigers....that should say it all. the best i've ever seen.

soxjim
03-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Tigers vs SOX in 2000 Need I say more!

SOXSINCE'70
03-03-2006, 07:08 AM

I still hate Robert Fick!!Thanks to all the fans who gave that jackass
a beer shower on his way to the visitor's clubhouse after he was ejected.
Normally,I despise that kind of behavior (I.E.-throwing anything on the
playing field to dispute a bad call).This was one time I actually cheered.

soxjim
03-03-2006, 07:16 AM

This is the one and only time I cheered this type of behavior. I agree with not liking Fick. I add Jeff Weaver to that list.

Bobbo35
03-03-2006, 07:36 AM

That was a bad one.

Deebs14
03-03-2006, 07:53 AM
It wouldn't break my heart at all if Robert Fick never got another hit.

Anyone remember who the *******s were who pretty much ganged up on Foulke?

Viva Medias B's
03-03-2006, 08:18 AM
It really wasn't a brawl, but I was at the game in which Bartolo Colon plunked Jerry Hairston Jr. after a Baltimore pitcher plunked Magglio Ordonez. The benches emptied, but it turned out to be more of an on field gathering than any kind of fisticuffs. It was the 9th inning, and Colon was in line to pitch a complete game. Warnings were issued after Maggs was hit, but Colon put defending his teammate over completing the game.

ChiSoxGirl
03-03-2006, 08:24 AM
It wasn't an all-out brawl, but both benches and bullpens emptied in May of 2003 against the Twins. Garland was pitching and hit someone (I was in a 400-level Diamond Suite down the third baseline, so it was hard to see who) and it was on! I think Garland may have been ejected, too....

eriqjaffe
03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Only bench-clearing brawl I ever saw live was June 20, 1980 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06200CHA1980.htm).

In the top of the 11th, Tigers RF Al Cowens bounced out to short, but charged Ed Farmer instead of running to first. Apparently, it stemmed from an incident the previous May when Cowens (then with KC) and Frank White were both injured when Farmer (then with Texas) hit them both with pitches - they combined to miss 51 games as a result of the injuries.

Detroit would then go on to score 2 runs in the 11th and win the game, 5-3.

...and I was in the front row, right behind the tarp along the first base line for that game. Ringside seats, baby!

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 08:30 AM

Fick came out of the bullpen, ran all the way to the infield, and tried to dropkick a few people, slugged a number of guys, and got away with it.
He wasnt ejected, he was on his way back to the bullpen because the idiot umps didnt eject him. He was grandstanding and taunting/inciting the crowd (again, that shouldve gotten him a heavier fine/suspension) when
the fans had had enough and he got showered with numerous beers

jdm2662
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
It wasn't an all-out brawl, but both benches and bullpens emptied in May of 2003 against the Twins. Garland was pitching and hit someone (I was in a 400-level Diamond Suite down the third baseline, so it was hard to see who) and it was on! I think Garland may have been ejected, too....

Are you serious??? I was in a suite on the same game you are talking about. The guy being hit was no other than that dusche bag Doug Mientkiewicz.

Chez
03-03-2006, 08:33 AM
It wouldn't break my heart at all if Robert Fick never got another hit.

Anyone remember who the *******s were who pretty much ganged up on Foulke?

I thought Juan Samuel was in the mob. Maybe Bobby Higginson too. A couple of years ago, Fick was playing leftfield for the D-Rays. The fans were all over him. It was great (my kids still talk about it).

ChiSoxGirl
03-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Are you serious??? I was in a suite on the same game you are talking about. The guy being hit was no other than that dusche bag Doug Mientkiewicz.

You weren't in a Suite for a bachelor party that night, were you? There was a Suite of guys to our right having a great time! Were you down the left field line, too?

Ah yes, Doug Mientkiewicz. I remember literally hanging out of our Suite when the bench-clearing occurred screaming and cheering Garland and our Sox on to deliver a whoopin', and one of my aunts (a Cub fan) told me to get back inside because it's not worth having a heart attack over. :redface:

Madvora
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Maggs was getting run down at second base by 3 guys or something and was trying to karate kick his way out of it.

I also remember Singleton standing behind third base with his hat and glove still on trying to stay away from everything and looking absolutely scared to death.

daveeym
03-03-2006, 09:47 AM
It was probably the summer of '93, our entire high school baseball team was there. I seem to remember it being against the Blue Jays and the Sox pitcher I believe got ROCKED. We were in the first 5 rows of the upper deck behind home plate and you could clearly make out the sound of the players fist meeting the sox pitchers face.

jdm2662
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
You weren't in a Suite for a bachelor party that night, were you? There was a Suite of guys to our right having a great time! Were you down the left field line, too?

Ah yes, Doug Mientkiewicz. I remember literally hanging out of our Suite when the bench-clearing occurred screaming and cheering Garland and our Sox on to deliver a whoopin', and one of my aunts (a Cub fan) told me to get back inside because it's not worth having a heart attack over. :redface:

Nah, I was behind home plate. My uncle hooked my bro and I up with tickets, and it was a surprise. There was many little kids in there. I just remember sitting in the front row the whole game, drinking free beer, and eating lots of hot dogs.

miker
03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Sox Fans Reminisce About Base-Brawls
Why can't they simply love the game, like Cub fans?

D. TODD
03-03-2006, 10:36 AM
I was at a game in the 80's when Lamar Hoyt drilled Ben Ogilvie from the Brewers. Ogilvie limped to the mound and blasted Hoyt (gave him a good shiner for about a week). A pretty good melee ensued and Ogilvie limped to foul territory afterwards where he was being worked on by the trainer. The fans were pelting them with all kind of stuff. It was a pretty good baseball brawl. My dad wasn't to thrilled about the fans reactions around us though.:smile: :o:

harwar
03-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I remember a game back in the early 90's and there was this big pile on the infield and i remember seeing Bo Jackson and Big Frank pulling guys off of the pile like they were made of straw.
I also remember the fight in 2000 and seeing Singleton just standing there shaking in his shoes.It wasn't long after that,i believe,that Hawk started calling him "Chrissy",much to the chagrin of D.J.

VenturaSoxFan23
03-03-2006, 12:30 PM
I was in the LF bleachers for that Sox-Tigers brawl. More than a few fans attempted to climb down and get a piece of Fick, that cretin.

Boozer
03-03-2006, 12:37 PM
The Detroit one was real good. Is there a video on the net somewhere of that brawl?

Madvora
03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6606/cl2tv.png
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2000/04/27/fight_suspensions_ap/lg_graphic.jpg

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
The Detroit one was real good. Is there a video on the net somewhere of that brawl?

What made that fight the most "memorable", was it wasnt just One brawl.
It was 3 brawls throughout the game, 5th inning, 7th inning and 8th inning (IIRC)
with the last one being the doozy. Todd Jones of the Tigers was in the dugout and the Tigers were Atbat, and he was still mouthing off towards the SOX bench and whoever was on the mound for the SOX. The umps obviously were lax to the situation, Jones then stepped out of the dugout
on the top step and started taunting the pitcher. At some point, both benches were yelling at each other during this, when Jones started towards the mound. Whoever was pitching had had enough of his garbage and met him halfway. At that point, a few other Tigers had left the bench and ran towards the closest SOX player ..............

that was a brawl

pdimas
03-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I'll never forget that tigers brawl and that is one reason why I was glad we got to kick the **** out of Phil Garner in the World Series I really hate that guy. Anyone else ever feel he wasn't a big Sox fan.

The fight I remember though was against Oakland. I remember it because my dad was riding Rickey Henderson all game. Rickey even started yelling back after a while and man was he pissed. Next thing you know a fight breaks out. The funny thing is it had nothing to do with Rickey but he had so much anger in him that he ran full speed and just jumped into the fray.

I have to admit as a kid I felt a tinge of pride. I was thinking yeah see how pissed off Rickey is thats cause of my dad :redface: .

chisoxmike
03-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I was at the game of the fight against the Twins in '03, I was taking one of my friends to one of his first Sox games that night.

Chisox003
03-03-2006, 01:40 PM
That Detroit brawl was ridiculous.

All I remember from that is Caballo absolutely clearing house and Foulke ending up with a bloody face.

Remember what Palmer did after Parque drilled him? Sprinted toward the mound and THREW his helmet at Parque .... Ya Dean, really ballsy :rolleyes:

Fick and Higginson were punks during that, too.

SOXPHILE
03-03-2006, 01:51 PM
That Detroit brawl was ridiculous.

All I remember from that is Caballo absolutely clearing house and Foulke ending up with a bloody face.

Remember what Palmer did after Parque drilled him? Sprinted toward the mound and THREW his helmet at Parque .... Ya Dean, really ballsy :rolleyes:

Fick and Higginson were punks during that, too.

I remember that, and it got me angry that he was basically using an object as a weapon, that you could seriously hurt someone with. It reminded me of a Reds-Braves game in the early 80's. Mario Soto (HEADCASE) hit Claudell Washington with a pitch. Claudell drops the bat and starts strolling slowly towards the pitchers mound. Then, the catcher tackles him from behind. But it didn't end there. Mario Soto then proceeds to run towards Washington, still on the ground, stand over him, and THROW A BALL RIGHT AT HIM. I couldn't believe it. You can kill somebody doing that.

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 02:14 PM
It was probably the summer of '93, our entire high school baseball team was there. I seem to remember it being against the Blue Jays and the Sox pitcher I believe got ROCKED. We were in the first 5 rows of the upper deck behind home plate and you could clearly make out the sound of the players fist meeting the sox pitchers face.

this occurred in the first inning! I was at this game ............I knew I was a little late for first pitch, I could hear a drawn out roaring from the crowd, and when i finally got off the hamster ramp and onto the concourse, there was a Pile of Blue Jays (before they became the Black Jays) and SOX in the infield. Jack McDowell drilled somebody, and the Blue Jay flat out decked him. Jack had a black eye for a week after that

alohafri
03-03-2006, 02:36 PM

I was in the left field stands at that game. What a brawl! There were even people chanting "ECW, ECW" during the fight.

daveeym
03-03-2006, 04:41 PM
this occurred in the first inning! I was at this game ............I knew I was a little late for first pitch, I could hear a drawn out roaring from the crowd, and when i finally got off the hamster ramp and onto the concourse, there was a Pile of Blue Jays (before they became the Black Jays) and SOX in the infield. Jack McDowell drilled somebody, and the Blue Jay flat out decked him. Jack had a black eye for a week after that I thought it was Black Jack but I couldn't remember for sure, I believe it was White (rondell?) that decked him. We were just amazed that we could here the crack of the punch LOUDLY from the upper deck.

Edit: Googled it and it was Mark Whiten in 1991.

Deebs14
03-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Although it didn't involve the Sox, I was at the Cleveland-Minnesota game at The Jake back in 2002 in which Torri Hunter was plunked by Danys Baez. He then picked up the ball and threw it back at Baez, which ultimately caused the benches to clear. But nothing happened after that.

I was sitting in the left-center bleachers heckling Hunter with another Tribe fan, so I like to think that I may have gotten in his head a little bit.:cool:

TDog
03-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Tigers at the Sox -- May 1, 1970. It was a straight-A student night, but my grandfather paid for my seat on the third-base side. As I recall, it started with a play at second base.

In 1971, there were a couple of fights. The A's and Orioles come to mind. I think Clair Barth Johnson was involved in both, but I wasn't at those games.

SOXSINCE'70
03-03-2006, 11:38 PM

BTW,the Sox won that game!!:cool:

soxinem1
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Fick came out of the bullpen, ran all the way to the infield, and tried to dropkick a few people, slugged a number of guys, and got away with it.
He wasnt ejected, he was on his way back to the bullpen because the idiot umps didnt eject him. He was grandstanding and taunting/inciting the crowd (again, that shouldve gotten him a heavier fine/suspension) when
the fans had had enough and he got showered with numerous beers

We should have met him after the game in the parking lot! I'd still go toe to toe with that prick, I mean Fick, I mean prick!

http://www.dvdfuture.com/images/upload/barkergilmore.jpg

The way the fans backed up the team showed the world who has the best fans!!!

TornLabrum
03-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I've been to two great brawls:

Sox vs. Yankees in June 1957: Larry Doby vs. Art Ditmar turned out to be the sideshow (even though they started it) for Walt Dropo vs. Enos Slaughter.

The other was Sox vs. Tigers in 2000. The '57 one was better, only because they had it settled down and it erupted again. I love twofers.

Soxfanspcu11
03-04-2006, 01:50 PM

I remember this one, but I can't remember what set it off. Wasn't there some bad blood before the game? I mean, wasn't someone on the Twins poppin off about the Sox??

My memory is fuzzy, but I thought it was like a war or words that was going on through the media before that game, and it came to a head in that game.

Anyone know the full story??? If you do, please post and refresh my memory.

Thanks!:smile:

ChiSoxGirl
03-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I remember this one, but I can't remember what set it off. Wasn't there some bad blood before the game? I mean, wasn't someone on the Twins poppin off about the Sox??

My memory is fuzzy, but I thought it was like a war or words that was going on through the media before that game, and it came to a head in that game.

Anyone know the full story??? If you do, please post and refresh my memory.

Thanks!:smile:

From what I can remember, I think Mientkiewicz was popping off the night before because I think were was some kind of incident during the Friday night game; maybe someone was hit... :dunno: or there was a war of words going in through the media between the two teams. Garland retaliated by hitting Mientkiewicz on Saturday, giving us a pretty good bench-clearing incident.

PeteWard
03-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Tigers at the Sox -- May 1, 1970. It was a straight-A student night, but my grandfather paid for my seat on the third-base side. As I recall, it started with a play at second base.

In 1971, there were a couple of fights. The A's and Orioles come to mind. I think Clair Barth Johnson was involved in both, but I wasn't at those games.

Unbelievable!! I was nine and at that Tigers game with my Mom and brothers and sister. Upper deck above first base. What started it was Bill Melton going into Dick McAuliffe (sp.) to break up a DP.