PDA

View Full Version : baseball books~The bad guys won

mike squires
03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm reading a great one now. I did a search on the guy and not a lot of folks here did care too much about him. I really don't know much about him but he's got some interesting tales about the 86 Met's. What a team with a bunch of personalities. Including Jesse Orosco. Who would have known? I suggest yo guys go pick this up at the lib. It's a good read. You realize what scum some of these guys are. It makes you wonder what goes on behind closed doors, including our beloved Whitesox. anyone else rad it?

TommyJohn
03-03-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm reading a great one now. I did a search on the guy and not a lot of folks here did care too much about him. I really don't know much about him but he's got some interesting tales about the 86 Met's. What a team with a bunch of personalities. Including Jesse Orosco. Who would have known? I suggest yo guys go pick this up at the lib. It's a good read. You realize what scum some of these guys are. It makes you wonder what goes on behind closed doors, including our beloved Whitesox. anyone else rad it?

The Mets are having a 20th anniversary celebration this year. I understand
that for one game Kevin Mitchell is going to throw out a ceremonial first
cat's head.

As for the White Sox, I have read that the 1983 team was a wild bunch.

SOXSINCE'70
03-03-2006, 09:09 AM

I read it last year.Very interesting.Man,were they a wild bunch.
But,as pointed out earlier,the same could be said for the '83 Sox.

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Great book! I think it was Bob Ojeda who described the 86 Mets as a pack of "vile bastards". :cool: The Mets players reaction to the Buckner play is hilarious. A very memorable team. Looking forward to the 86 Mets DVD box set!

mike squires
03-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Yes, but we don't have a book that really describes the 83 team. I've seen interviews where they hint that they did things back then (Whimpy) but don't have a lot of stories to desribe them. Which may be a good thing. Not sure I want to know those kind of stories about my idols. Kittle kind of shys away from those kind of stories in his book.

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Yes, but we don't have a book that really describes the 83 team. I've seen interviews where they hint that they did things back then (Whimpy) but don't have a lot of stories to desribe them. Which may be a good thing. Not sure I want to know those kind of stories about my idols. Kittle kind of shys away from those kind of stories in his book.
Kittle's book had a few good stories, but not as many as the Mets book.

D. TODD
03-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I loved the '86 Mets. Great bunch of guys to watch play. Off the field they seem to have alot of fun and alot of issues.

SOXintheBURGH
03-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Kittle's book had a few good stories, but not as many as the Mets book.

I really liked Kittle's book. Whenever I look at Harold Baines on tv now I start busting up laughing because of the story Kittle told about driving around in a cab in Kansas City and the guy offering them pot.... :rolling:

SOXPHILE
03-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Man, did I ever hate that team. Seems weird to say this, but I was rooting very hard for the Red Sox to win. This was before I started to see them as the Red Cubs, and ESPN and the rest of the national media started treating them as national darlings. I don't remember hearing too much about curses and all that either. I remember I couldn't stand Gary Carter, and he was up with 2 outs, and I sooooo wanted him to make the final out.:angry:

spiffie
03-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Man, did I ever hate that team. Seems weird to say this, but I was rooting very hard for the Red Sox to win. This was before I started to see them as the Red Cubs, and ESPN and the rest of the national media started treating them as national darlings. I don't remember hearing too much about curses and all that either. I remember I couldn't stand Gary Carter, and he was up with 2 outs, and I sooooo wanted him to make the final out.:angry:
I agree with you, I couldn't stand that team. Mostly because my Little League team had been the Astros for like 4 straight years so I had grown to take them as my NL team. That year Mike Scott was just off the charts plus they had Nolan Ryan, so those things combined made me a Houston fan, so the NLCS was so sad for me.

I still say that 1986 was the best run of postseason baseball I've ever seen for sheer drama everywhere you looked. 2003 and 2004 were close, but I'll stand by 1986.

palehozenychicty
03-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I loved the '86 Mets. Great bunch of guys to watch play. Off the field they seem to have alot of fun and alot of issues.

The '86 mets were a shot of lightning like the '85 bears. neither organization has recovered from those teams cause they were so much better than everyone in those years. That book is a good one, although I think that the author is a putz.

TommyJohn
03-03-2006, 05:29 PM
I agree with you, I couldn't stand that team. Mostly because my Little League team had been the Astros for like 4 straight years so I had grown to take them as my NL team. That year Mike Scott was just off the charts plus they had Nolan Ryan, so those things combined made me a Houston fan, so the NLCS was so sad for me.

I still say that 1986 was the best run of postseason baseball I've ever seen for sheer drama everywhere you looked. 2003 and 2004 were close, but I'll stand by 1986.

I'm with you. I'd say that the 1986 NLCS was in the top 3 LC Series ever.
Game 6 was especially a gut wrencher, I can't imagine how drained fans
on both sides felt after the game. Game 5 of the ALCS had what for my
money was one of the top 5 most dramatic moments in baseball history.
Granted it was only Game 5 and the Henderson home run didn't win the
series. Still, the very point that the Red Sox were 1 strike away and
wound up winning the whole thing is what makes it a great moment.

I didn't like that Mets team either and I rooted for both the Astros and
Red Sox. If there is any consolation, consider that the Mets never became
the dynasty that was supposed to be in the making. They got back to
the NLCS in 1988 with basically the same team and lost to a Dodger team
that they were expected to beat easily.

soxinem1
03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm with you. I'd say that the 1986 NLCS was in the top 3 LC Series ever.
Game 6 was especially a gut wrencher, I can't imagine how drained fans
on both sides felt after the game. Game 5 of the ALCS had what for my
money was one of the top 5 most dramatic moments in baseball history.
Granted it was only Game 5 and the Henderson home run didn't win the
series. Still, the very point that the Red Sox were 1 strike away and
wound up winning the whole thing is what makes it a great moment.

I didn't like that Mets team either and I rooted for both the Astros and
Red Sox. If there is any consolation, consider that the Mets never became
the dynasty that was supposed to be in the making. They got back to
the NLCS in 1988 with basically the same team and lost to a Dodger team
that they were expected to beat easily.

Make that 3 for 3 in agreement. I was just out of HS that year and thought that Mets team was so cocky and arrogant. And that post season, with the Hendu HR and Mike Scott being NLCS MVP even though the Astros lost was vintage.

But the 'Dynasty' talk for the Mets was just absurd. All you heard was Gooden, Strawberry, Dykstra, Orosco, McDowell, Knight, Mitchell, Aguilera, Darling........... Years of domination. It was a great squad, but I just found them to be a little to full of themselves.