PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Sox Jersey

MySoxAreClean
03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
I own a few Sox Thomas jerseys? Any Idea what I should do with them?

chisoxfan64
03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Boo them.:smile:

RKMeibalane
03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Keep them. They're collectors items now that he's wearing the green and gold of the FOBB.

TheOldRoman
03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Hang them on your walls and tell your kids someday that those jerseys are from the greatest player in White Sox history, Frank Thomas. In your stories, tell them Frank was 10 feet tall, hit the ball 600 feet, and you never saw him strike out once, to increase his legend. Also, tell them that Frank retired as a White Sox, but he was reportedly seen playing minor league ball in South Carolina under another name 10 years later.

LongLiveFisk
03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Hang on to them? Wear them? Who says you have to get rid of them? :dunno:

JohnBasedowYoda
03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Hang them on your walls and tell your kids someday that those jerseys are from the greatest player in White Sox history, Frank Thomas. In your stories, tell them Frank was 10 feet tall, hit the ball 600 feet, and you never saw him strike out once, to increase his legend. Also, tell them that Frank retired as a White Sox, but he was reportedly seen playing minor league ball in South Carolina under another name 10 years later.

I heard that Frank Thomas used a Redwood tree for a bat. And when he stepped on a base his shear weight and strength would tear it to pieces.

jabrch
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
This isn't like Magglio, who lied to the fans, and left over money. With Frank, he left because (in the opinion of management) he was no longer good enough to make the team, and his cost would outweigh his benefits.

Frank did a lot for this team, this franchise, and the game. Celebrate him as the HOFer that he is. Ignore the sillyness that has gone on after he left. It is undignified on all parts.

That said, My Ordonez jersey has electrical tape covering the Or and the Z. He's a piece of crap and deserves to be booed every time he steps on the field in Chicago.

Flight #24
03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
You really don't want them, let me know where to pick them up. No teal necessary.

You'd think the greatest player in franchise history would deserve better from his team's fans.

Bobbo35
03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I am putting my thomas jersey in a shadow box to honor the man. He signed it last year.

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I am putting my thomas jersey in a shadow box to honor the man. He signed it last year.

Good call.

voodoochile
03-02-2006, 09:21 PM
How about...

WEAR THEM WITH PRIDE!

SectionBNole
03-02-2006, 09:29 PM
My favorite baseball player of all time. I'll never forget watching a spring game in Florida when my mom caught a foul ball from him.

NSSoxFan
03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Do what the media wants you to do: throw them in a pile, add gasoline, and strike a match.

:rolleyes:

CLR01
03-02-2006, 11:01 PM
How about...

WEAR THEM WITH PRIDE!

The biggest skirt upset Kenny Williams and every Sox fan. He's an inconsiderate jackass who deserves to die. The jerseys should be used to start your charcoal grill.

salty99
03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
The biggest skirt upset Kenny Williams and every Sox fan. He's an inconsiderate jackass who deserves to die. The jerseys should be used to start your charcoal grill.

That is a completely unnecessary and ridiculous statement.

NSSoxFan
03-02-2006, 11:44 PM
That is a completely unnecessary and ridiculous statement.

I'm sure he was being sarcastic.

Baines
03-02-2006, 11:57 PM

I'll take them off your hands, and not to resell them either. I'd love to have one. I'd be happy to display one in my house.

mccombe_35
03-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I see others have already shown interest, but I'd buy them from you, & then either wear them or display them.

MiamiSpartan
03-03-2006, 05:45 AM
I'll still wear mine around....I also have a Mags jersey from a couple of years back...:D:

eriqjaffe
03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Whatever you do, don't let KW see you wearing them.

mccoydp
03-03-2006, 08:33 AM
The biggest skirt upset Kenny Williams and every Sox fan. He's an inconsiderate jackass who deserves to die. The jerseys should be used to start your charcoal grill. ***? :o:

:tealtutor:

gobears1987
03-03-2006, 09:20 AM
You have 2 options

Good one: Wear them

Better one: Frame them

I'm sick of the way the fans here have been treating Frank. Those people aren't Sox fans.

gobears1987
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
The biggest skirt upset Kenny Williams and every Sox fan. He's an inconsiderate jackass who deserves to die. The jerseys should be used to start your charcoal grill.You better be joking :o:

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 09:23 AM
How about...

WEAR THEM WITH PRIDE!

No freakin kidding!

This thread deserves to be locked in a small room with some angery daleks. :mad:

Iwritecode
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Sometimes the sarcasm is so obvious, teal isn't even needed.

gobears1987
03-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Sometimes the sarcasm is so obvious, teal isn't even needed.Given what some idiots have said in other threads how they want to boo Frank, I don't know who's being sarcastic.

LongLiveFisk
03-03-2006, 09:27 AM
My favorite baseball player of all time. I'll never forget watching a spring game in Florida when my mom caught a foul ball from him.

That's cool...I caught a foul ball off his bat back in '93 and I still have it. :D:

Dadawg_77
03-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Sometimes the sarcasm is so obvious, teal isn't even needed.

I hate teal just because it takes away the whole freaking meaning of sarcasm.

But I have come to the conclusion on names on sports jerseys. You can go two ways, one get a name of the obscure, end of the bench player who people will have to think who the player was or loved. Perfect example would be a Craig Gerbeck, the Deacon, Ivan Calderon. Or you have to go with a Great One (HOFers), a player who 20 years from now every fan would know by their last name, and even better their first. Thomas, Baines, Fisk, Aparicio, Fox, Minoso, Appling, Lyons, Jackson and for managing, Ozzie. Jerseys for good to great players will become dated soon rather then later. How many people are going to want to wear a Rowand jersey next year?

INSox56
03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Mine has one autograph on it.....Jim Thome from this year's SF. That baby's going into a frame.

voodoochile
03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
***? :o:

:tealtutor:

Some comments are so obviously sarcastic that teal is redundant...:rolleyes:

skottyj242
03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Wear them, no matter who the player is. The name on the front of the jersey is much more important than the name on the back. I still wear a Billy Koch jersey. I bought a Carlos Lee jersey two weeks after he got traded. I have two Podsednik jerseys, a green Konerko jersey, Bobby Jenks and Jim Thome. I paid good money for all of them and I will never stop wearing them unless I get way too fat.

miker
03-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I stopped getting my jerseys personalized...it was a guarantee that he would be traded...years ago. Saves money too!

Maybe the solution is to hold off wearing them until Frank retires and everyone's gotten over it.

ode to veeck
03-03-2006, 10:51 AM
when do the Kenny Williams skirts go on sale?

seriously folks, this thread is for whats the score

BV2005
03-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I heard that Frank Thomas used a Redwood tree for a bat. And when he stepped on a base his shear weight and strength would tear it to pieces.

no it wasn't Frank that tore it to pieces, Kenny Williams roundhouse kicked it.

Hangar18
03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Wear It. Proudly.

ozzie is god
03-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Does everyone forget what Frank did for us all these years? Are we surprised that Frank said something on his way out the door? He's been saying stupid stuff all his career so what is the big deal? He's not the only player to leave on bad terms..Ozzie..Maggs..So if you want to give those Frank jerseys away let me know I would be proud to wear them.:D:

Beer Can Chicken
03-04-2006, 09:59 AM
But I have come to the conclusion on names on sports jerseys. You can go two ways, one get a name of the obscure, end of the bench player who people will have to think who the player was or loved. Perfect example would be a Craig Gerbeck, the Deacon, Ivan Calderon. Or you have to go with a Great One (HOFers), a player who 20 years from now every fan would know by their last name, and even better their first. Thomas, Baines, Fisk, Aparicio, Fox, Minoso, Appling, Lyons, Jackson and for managing, Ozzie. Jerseys for good to great players will become dated soon rather then later. How many people are going to want to wear a Rowand jersey next year?

I think you go go a third way, get anyone on the 2005 World Series team. They are immortalized!

maurice
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I just got a brand new Thomas jersey. I wore it to Spring Training and will wear it throughout the regular season.

NSSoxFan
03-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I just got a brand new Thomas jersey. I wore it to Spring Training and will wear it throughout the regular season.

:thumbsup:

Bobbo35
03-07-2006, 07:12 AM
How about...

WEAR THEM WITH PRIDE!

No, it is time to hang it up. I have it signed now and I got a lot of use out of it the past 3 years. I will hang it with pride.

Bobbo35
03-07-2006, 07:14 AM

Ya, that comment is a bit off the wall considering he had been the mainstay of White Sox baseball for years.

Bobbo35
03-07-2006, 07:15 AM
You have 2 options

Good one: Wear them

Better one: Frame them

I'm sick of the way the fans here have been treating Frank. Those people aren't Sox fans.

Much agreed

BNLSox
03-07-2006, 09:34 AM
A previous post said and I completely agree, anyone who was part of the 2005 campaign is immortalized and he and his jersey can and should always be celebrated by our fans and team.

I also now believe that since they won it all last year it is completely legit to bring out those jerseys we've been hiding. Yes this means its legit to wear the Mags jerseys again, as well as Michael Jordan's, Albert Belle's, Bartolo Colon's, hell even David Wells'.

So wear those Frank Jerseys proudly. NO ONE SHOULD GIVE YOU A PROBLEM. If they do they are just a recent flub convert. Explain to her (him) that we honor players of yesteryear by continuing to carry them with us to our games.

So I'll see you all at the ballpark wearing my no longer retired Ordonez American League All Star Jersey from '03. Hell without Mags we never would have realized that we needed to switch focus to small ball and pitching.

TDog
03-07-2006, 10:39 AM
If it's a Frank Thomas jersey -- that is, a jersey that he possessed, in his size -- it should be framed. If it's its something he autographed, it should be framed. If it's a jersey in your size with Thomas' name and number slapped on the back, I don't see the point in framing it. I don't really understand wearing it, unless your first or last name is Thomas.

The phenomenon of people wearing jerseys -- sometimes so cheap they can't be considered replicas -- with players names on them mystifies me. There was someone who worked in my building that wore a red Atlanta (I think) T-shirt thing with the name "Vick" on the back. I called him Vick for awhile before I was told that Vick is actually the name of the player he was honoring. I don't know who Vick is, but if he's a star athlete, the gesture seemed more insult than praise.

I have accumulated seven White Sox uniforms -- home, home vest, road and alternate road -- and all honor Carlos May with his number. But all the jerseys have my name on them because their mine. Carlos didn't wear the silver and black anyway.

CLR01
03-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Ya, that comment is a bit off the wall considering he had been the mainstay of White Sox baseball for years.

Not at all. If Frank is at the game today Jenks should spend the afternoon throwing fastballs at his head.

Is teal ever not needed?

Cubsuck_a_lot
03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
If it's a Frank Thomas jersey -- that is, a jersey that he possessed, in his size -- it should be framed. If it's its something he autographed, it should be framed. If it's a jersey in your size with Thomas' name and number slapped on the back, I don't see the point in framing it. I don't really understand wearing it, unless your first or last name is Thomas.

The phenomenon of people wearing jerseys -- sometimes so cheap they can't be considered replicas -- with players names on them mystifies me. There was someone who worked in my building that wore a red Atlanta (I think) T-shirt thing with the name "Vick" on the back. I called him Vick for awhile before I was told that Vick is actually the name of the player he was honoring. I don't know who Vick is, but if he's a star athlete, the gesture seemed more insult than praise.

I have accumulated seven White Sox uniforms -- home, home vest, road and alternate road -- and all honor Carlos May with his number. But all the jerseys have my name on them because their mine. Carlos didn't wear the silver and black anyway.

why would you put your own name on the back and then wonder why people put the names of people they admire and look up to and have watched for the past 16 years on their jerseys? Frank has always had a big mouth, and if any of you are suprised at how all this unfolded, then you have only been a SOX "fan" since last October. i dont have to go thru the stats (i will if u want), but Frank is the greatest hitter in SOX history. period. why not wear it to commemorate a fantastic ballplayer? why hang it up?? i see Steve Sax jerseys, Foulke jerseys, hell, even Ordonez jerseys. and now you want to put the kaibash on wearing the jersey of the single greatest slugger in our history???

whatever :rolleyes:

go back under your bridge

voodoochile
03-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Is teal ever not needed?

Apparently not...:D:

TDog
03-08-2006, 01:23 AM
why would you put your own name on the back and then wonder why people put the names of people they admire and look up to and have watched for the past 16 years on their jerseys? Frank has always had a big mouth, and if any of you are suprised at how all this unfolded, then you have only been a SOX "fan" since last October. i dont have to go thru the stats (i will if u want), but Frank is the greatest hitter in SOX history. period. why not wear it to commemorate a fantastic ballplayer? why hang it up?? i see Steve Sax jerseys, Foulke jerseys, hell, even Ordonez jerseys. and now you want to put the kaibash on wearing the jersey of the single greatest slugger in our history???

whatever :rolleyes:

go back under your bridge

Did you even read what I wrote? Or did you just forget to bring your language skills to WSI? Maybe I could ask why I would incorporate the Cubs into my WSI user name? I have too much respect for the White Sox to do that.

Why would I put someone else's name on my jersey? Why would I insult Frank Thomas by putting his name on my uniform? On his worst days he will always hit better than I ever could. Why would I put Foulke or Sax or hell-even-Ordonez on the back of my jersey? Beyond it being my jersey, I have too much respect for them to wear their names. I would wear their numbers out of respect. Wearing 35 tells me you want to be like Frank. It's a tribute, much like players who used to grab 42 in tribute to Jackie Robinson. I still think of Ed Herrmann when I see someone wearing 12. Wearing 35 with Thomas' name on it says, "Hey, look, I'm Frank Thomas." You look like one of the rabble, and I am not impressed. Maybe you need the name because the other sheep won't be able to figure out you're paying respect to Thomas with his number alone. Imagine if you and your friends actually played some baseball, everyone would have the same names on their backs.

I can think of an occasion where I would wear a Frank Thomas jersey with his name on it. If it were a real Frank Thomas jersey actually worn by him, I would honor it with special occasions. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit.

Iguana775
03-08-2006, 12:21 PM

I bought a Series Frank jerseys cause i thought that this would be the only time i could get one. I'm going to wear it proudly.

Taliesinrk
03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I bought a Series Frank jerseys cause i thought that this would be the only time i could get one. I'm going to wear it proudly.

As am I... at CoTC in fact... let me say.. it is honoring him and it's pretty damn cool if ya ask me. (plus if it weren't cool I'd be a little upset due to the amount of money I paied for it)

billcissell
03-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Did you even read what I wrote? Or did you just forget to bring your language skills to WSI? Maybe I could ask why I would incorporate the Cubs into my WSI user name? I have too much respect for the White Sox to do that.

Why would I put someone else's name on my jersey? Why would I insult Frank Thomas by putting his name on my uniform? On his worst days he will always hit better than I ever could. Why would I put Foulke or Sax or hell-even-Ordonez on the back of my jersey? Beyond it being my jersey, I have too much respect for them to wear their names. I would wear their numbers out of respect. Wearing 35 tells me you want to be like Frank. It's a tribute, much like players who used to grab 42 in tribute to Jackie Robinson. I still think of Ed Herrmann when I see someone wearing 12. Wearing 35 with Thomas' name on it says, "Hey, look, I'm Frank Thomas." You look like one of the rabble, and I am not impressed. Maybe you need the name because the other sheep won't be able to figure out you're paying respect to Thomas with his number alone. Imagine if you and your friends actually played some baseball, everyone would have the same names on their backs.

I can think of an occasion where I would wear a Frank Thomas jersey with his name on it. If it were a real Frank Thomas jersey actually worn by him, I would honor it with special occasions. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit.

If someone wants to wear a jersey with a player's name on the back, what's the big deal? If someone wants to wear a jersey with a number only and no name, great. Even if someone wears a jersey representing a team other than the Sox (because they think it looks cool or they like the color combination) that's ok too. They are merely expressing themselves and their passion for a player, a team, for the game.

Lighten up. Just because you've attained elder status, that doesn't make you the know all/end all when it comes to replica jerseys.

voodoochile
03-08-2006, 01:06 PM
As am I... at CoTC in fact... let me say.. it is honoring him and it's pretty damn cool if ya ask me. (plus if it weren't cool I'd be a little upset due to the amount of money I paied for it)

Wearing a Thomas jersey is like Bears fans wearing a Butkus or Sayers jersey. The man is a living legend, a HOF player who is going to end up playing 95% of his career for our boys on the southside and won a ring to boot, even if the team did have to "carry his big butt across the finish line".

It's that simple. People will still be wearing Thomas jerseys 30 years from now because he was just that good...