PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans outside Chicago?

thomas35forever
03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Is there any place outside the Chicagoland area where there's a steady White Sox fan base?

Scottiehaswheels
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Cleveland and Minnesota!

Daver
03-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Is there any place outside the Chicagoland area where there's a steady White Sox fan base?

We have a large number of members from California.

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2006, 09:19 PM
No. There's pockets of fans in all parts of the country, but not like other clubs. You won't find White Sox themed bars, for example. You'll find "Chicago" bars, but not White Sox bars.

MarySwiss
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM

Define "steady White Sox fan base." There are quite a few Sox fans out here in Arizona. However, Arizona is pretty spread out, so we're not very organized. Those of us in the Phoenix area did get together during the World Series. And if I can get my cable package set up in time, I'll throw an Opening Day bash for us 'Zonies.

LuzinskiFan
03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm the biggest Sox fan in Toronto, that's for sure.

patbooyah
03-02-2006, 09:32 PM

i'm sensing a certain "baby" is gonna get very upset by this!

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2006, 09:32 PM

Don't be so sure.. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=2374)

chisoxfanatic
03-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Where abouts in Toronto are you at???

soxfan26
03-02-2006, 10:00 PM

Sox fans in DC made one hell of a showing during game 1 of the World Series. :gulp:

LuzinskiFan
03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I live on Yonge between Sheppard and Finch

soxjim
03-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Living in Rockford we do have some SOX fans. We have hard core fans but we also have bandwagon fans who cheer for whom ever wins that year.

soxinem1
03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm about a mile outside the city, so we can hang out anywhere and be around White Sox fans!!!

delben91
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Pretty scarce here in NJ. Much more plentiful in MD. Though by plentiful, I mean I'd met more Sox fans in MD than the zero I've met here.

DieTrying79
03-02-2006, 10:50 PM
From what I can gauge, there seems to be a big concentration in L.A., with our brothers PatBooyah and Longshot being some of the primary ring leaders. However, OnDaFarm is out here now, so things are looking up for NorCal!

OkStateSox
03-03-2006, 12:00 AM
People in Stillwater Oklahoma are always partial to the Sox since we drafted Ventura and now Josh Fields. I havent met any other hardcore fans though.

Suburbanbuddha
03-03-2006, 01:04 AM
I am a pocket of one in Buffalo!
The good thing was all the congrats I got after the world series 'cuz I was the only Sox fan people knew around here.
Though I did get to see one of Frank Thomas' rehab starts last year - small enough crowd for my son to get an autograph ("Dad, he's WAAAY bigger than those other guys!")

Takin the family to Skyd... er The Rodgers Centre to see the road greys once or twice this summer.
Looks like I'll see some of you there but I'm not quite sure what to do around other Sox fans :?:

ChiSoxLifer
03-03-2006, 01:07 AM
I work in Burbank, CA. I didn't get a chance stop by Taste Chicago during the World Series but I know there was a pretty decent crowd there. I'll definitely catch the Sox in Anaheim.

MiamiSpartan
03-03-2006, 06:46 AM
The west coast of Florida has a lot of Midwesterners there, so there are a lot of Sox fans over there. Not too many here, tho. Occasionally I'll see a car with a Sox plate or sticker on it...

TommyJohn
03-03-2006, 09:02 AM

Stateville Penitentiary. :redneck :redneck

I was in SoCal for a couple of years and attended a couple of Sox-Angels
games. There were a lot of Sox fans there, though I don't know if they were
transplants or had simply made the trip for the games.

Deebs14
03-03-2006, 09:02 AM
The west coast of Florida has a lot of Midwesterners there, so there are a lot of Sox fans over there. Not too many here, tho. Occasionally I'll see a car with a Sox plate or sticker on it...

Yeah, whenever I'm in Tampa during my breaks I see some Sox gear around town, but usually in spirts. Although I was pleasantly surprised at the number of fans I saw during the Sox-TB series last year at the Trop.

Here at WVU I'm pretty much a lone representer.

soxfanatlanta
03-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Not a whole lot in Atlanta, I occasionaly see people with Sox gear, but they usually are visiting somebody.

BTW: Do we have anybody going to the Sox vs Atlanta game on April 1st?

grizzbr
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
There are always alot of SOX fans here in Minn. attending the Twinks series.

It's funny though, the ads for this season mention "big" games witth the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs. Guess they forgot about the Champs!

Oh well, I'll bet you they don't use their old ads from '05 to get tickets sold- that being when the Metrodome janitor used a SOX jersey to wipe up the floor.

Your 2008 Las Vegas Twins!

mccoydp
03-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm "representing" here in Hampton/Norfolk. I see the occasional White Sox hat around town, but that's only because of the World Series; I didn't see squat before.

I go see the Charlotte Knights when they play two series against the Norfolk Tides every year, and I'm one of two or three guys in White Sox gear who even know who the Knights are & who plays for them.

White Sox Randy
03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
I heard that there's 3 in Skokie.

EastCoastSoxFan
03-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I never fail to encounter at least a few decked-out fellow Sox fans in my travels here on the east coast.
I remember at the 12-inning interleague game in Philly back in '02 there were enough Sox fans to get an "O-E-O, MAGG-LI-O" chant going after we broke the game open in the top of the 12th.
At Yankee games it can be a bit harder to pick out Sox fans since navy-blue pinstripes and black pinstripes are almost indistinguishable from a distance or at night.
I can't think of any road game I have gone to where I didn't see at least one other person in Sox gear...

SOXintheBURGH
03-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I never fail to encounter at least a few decked-out fellow Sox fans in my travels here on the east coast.
I remember at the 12-inning interleague game in Philly back in '02 there were enough Sox fans to get an "O-E-O, MAGG-LI-O" chant going after we broke the game open in the top of the 12th.
At Yankee games it can be a bit harder to pick out Sox fans since navy-blue pinstripes and black pinstripes are almost indistinguishable from a distance or at night.
I can't think of any road game I have gone to where I didn't see at least one other person in Sox gear...

I was at that Magglio game. :gulp:

Come to think of, I went to all the games at Baltimore last season and saw many, many Sox fans.

ode to veeck
03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
I meet a lot of the same Sox fanatics each year at the Oakland Colleseum during BP, though I suspect we won't be seeing Aaron Rowand's cousins and uncle from Vacaville any more.

There's a number of WSIers in the SF Bay Area, but we've never had a formal get together, until Farm started talking about one this spring (coming up).

MILTMAY5
03-03-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm the biggest Sox fan in Toronto, that's for sure.My Ontario license plates read " WHITESOX"!

my5thbench
03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
4 out of 5 members of my household are Sox fans, my wife was born in Pontiac & still has Detroit in her blood....can't really count my Dad anymore he's been dead for a few years as are his Sox fan buddies Morrie & Eddy

I miss talkin' Sox baseball with them

ode to veeck
03-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Stateville Penitentiary. :redneck :redneck

LOL! It is on the south side, well kinda sorta

palehozenychicty
03-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Here in NYC, I've run into a handful. But a lot of fellas wear the gear in my neighborhood, especially the World Series cap. In fact, the other day, I was at Two Boots Pizza in the East Village and the vendor started talking about the Sox and Ozzie cause i had my WS cap on and he was from Venezuela. crazy, right? I'm down for a formal get together for opening day at some bar.

Scottiehaswheels
03-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Looks like I'll see some of you there but I'm not quite sure what to do around other Sox fans :?:

Buy us a beer!

CRAW
03-03-2006, 04:12 PM
There aren't many Sox fans here in Des Moines, Iowa either, but there are a bunch of Cub fans - too many if you ask me. Cub bars too! I think it has a lot to do with the Iowa Cubs, and the fact WGN has brainwashed all the young ones for the past 20 years or so.

:smile:

However there are a few Sox fans here and there.

Mainly Cubs, Cards, and Twin fans here. :mad:

ondafarm
03-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I meet a lot of the same Sox fanatics each year at the Oakland Colleseum during BP, though I suspect we won't be seeing Aaron Rowand's cousins and uncle from Vacaville any more.

There's a number of WSIers in the SF Bay Area, but we've never had a formal get together, until Farm started talking about one this spring (coming up).

My place (280 & Trousdale) in Burlingame. April 2nd. BYOC (Chairs.) Thanks to BevMo, my good martinis will be available. Or is cold beer the better call?

PM if coming for address and my cell phone.

Panpan21
03-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Cleveland and Minnesota!

Where in Minnesota??? I've met a bunch of people who came up to see a game, but were all from Chicago just visiting. Me and my buddy are from Chicagoland and are Sox fans but that's all I know!!!

Is there some secret meeting that I'm not privy to? How do I join this secret society??? I can sacrafice my Ribbie stuffed animal thingie....!!! I just want to make friends!!!:whiner:

Paulwny
03-04-2006, 11:05 AM
I am a pocket of one in Buffalo!
:?:

Not quite, there are three of us. :D:

1951Campbell
03-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, I seem to be the only one in Central PA besides the cook at my local sports bar.

Everyone around here is paralyzed by choices anyway...Phillies, Pirates, Orioles, Nationals....

The Racehorse
03-04-2006, 11:34 AM
When reading thru the threads, I'll notice WSIer's from Virginia, but the commonwealth is a big state. It looks like I'm the only one anchoring the Rappahannock region.

OTOH, as soxfan26 said, Game 1 of the WS in D.C. was one hell of a brain-cell stomping good time!

Beer Can Chicken
03-04-2006, 11:37 AM
There aren't many Sox fans here in Des Moines, Iowa either, but there are a bunch of Cub fans - too many if you ask me. Cub bars too! I think it has a lot to do with the Iowa Cubs, and the fact WGN has brainwashed all the young ones for the past 20 years or so.

:smile:

However there are a few Sox fans here and there.

Mainly Cubs, Cards, and Twin fans here. :mad:

Cubs fans in Iowa? I've never heard of such a thing!

ComiskeyBrewer
03-06-2006, 01:32 AM
There are a decent amount here in SE Wisconsin. Mostly Brewer/Sox fans. But we are within a few hours from the Cell, so i donno if we really count.

doublem23
03-06-2006, 02:43 AM
There's definitely been more Sox stuff floating around Peoria since October 26. :D:

CRAW
03-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Cubs fans in Iowa? I've never heard of such a thing!

HA...HA...It sux.

Railsplitter
03-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Springfield has Sox, Cub, and Card fans, and not just in the General Assembley.

Infallible
03-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Las Vegas, I am an army of 1...... er make that two, my fiance loves the Sox too.

TDog
03-07-2006, 05:05 AM
There aren't many Sox fans here in Des Moines, Iowa either, but there are a bunch of Cub fans - too many if you ask me. Cub bars too! I think it has a lot to do with the Iowa Cubs, and the fact WGN has brainwashed all the young ones for the past 20 years or so. ...

It's been a few years since WGN televised a lot of Cubs games. the Tribune company would rather use their assets to turn profits than build the Cubs' fan base. But don't expect things to change.

The Sox have fans everywhere because Sox fans have moved to all corners of the country, often raising their little ones to be Sox fans. Go to an Angels game, and could see people wearing jackets showing they came from Calumet City. The dispersed fan base comes sees their team when they can, but that's about it.

tick53
03-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Sox fans are so rare in Plymouth Indiana that if one fan see another one in
public, wearing Sox garb, they stop and chew the fat about the team. I live
where there are mostly Flub fans. I always asked them why. Why do you like
the Cubs over the Sox? Their standard answer is, " Channel 9 has always
covered the Cubs". I say, "they covered both teams,you tool".

You can't argue with imbeciles......:angry:

SoxFanAnne
03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm in NY and it's nothing but Yankees and Mets fans. Other than how the Red Sox are doing, they don't seem to care about any other teams.

billcissell
03-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I heard that there's 3 in Skokie.

I resemble that remark. I grew up in that town a few years back, and there were quite a few hard core Sox fans there. Keep in mind that this was back in the day when the Sox were playing home games in Milwaukee ('68 or '69) and managed to lose 106 games in 1970.

Needless to say, we took quite a verbal beating from the numerous North Side fans that made up the majority of the town. I still stay in touch with some of those hard core Sox fans, and although they no longer live anywhere near Skokie, they are still big on the Sox.

Jurr
03-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I was at that Magglio game. :gulp:

Come to think of, I went to all the games at Baltimore last season and saw many, many Sox fans.
Hey....maybe the Memphis contingent of WSI (1) can meet up with the Pittsburgh contingent (1) at PNC this summer! I'm on board for all three games. See you there!! We'll go to High Tops and pound some IC's after the game.

SOXintheBURGH
03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey....maybe the Memphis contingent of WSI (1) can meet up with the Pittsburgh contingent (1) at PNC this summer! I'm on board for all three games. See you there!! We'll go to High Tops and pound some IC's after the game.

I'm down. :gulp:

ClaudelSleptHere
03-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Indianapolis used to have a lot of Sox fans. The Sox AAA team used to be here, and the winter caravan stopped here. Now, however, it seems to be a Cub town, surpassing even the Reds. I had to have three kids in order to increase the Sox fan base.