PDA

View Full Version : Greinke?

Flight #24
03-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Just a random thought, but sounds like Zach Greinke may be pretty well fed up with the Royals, leaving camp after loafing on drills and saying his pitching coach had nothing to offer him. I know that's against Sox procedure, but you could get a young, cheap, talented SP at a discount, and I don't see how ANYONE could say Coop has nothing to offer!

Unregistered
03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Just a random thought, but sounds like Zach Greinke may be pretty well fed up with the Royals, leaving camp after loafing on drills and saying his pitching coach had nothing to offer him. I know that's against Sox procedure, but you could get a young, cheap, talented SP at a discount, and I don't see how ANYONE could say Coop has nothing to offer!What the hell would we do with the guy? We already have a waiting list for the Sox rotation, unless for some reason he'd want to pitch in the 'pen...

soxfan26
03-02-2006, 05:11 PM
What the hell would we do with the guy? We already have a waiting list for the Sox rotation, unless for some reason he'd want to pitch in the 'pen...

Then throw in the reported "ongoing emotional problems" and I say no thanks.

oeo
03-02-2006, 05:11 PM
What the hell would we do with the guy? We already have a waiting list for the Sox rotation, unless for some reason he'd want to pitch in the 'pen...

Uhm, never enough pitching...

I've always liked Greinke and I think he can become something great if he gets out of that hell hole that is Kansas City. I would love to see him here.

Flight #24
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Depends - Jenks supposedly had those & that worked out well. And some of the rumors are that he's basically POd with the Royals & their coaches but they're calling it "emotional problems".

soxfan26
03-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Depends - Jenks supposedly had those & that worked out well. And some of the rumors are that he's basically POd with the Royals & their coaches but they're calling it "emotional problems".

At present Greinke is going to cost the Sox more than a waiver claim and has no ability to break into the rotation. The risk still outweighs the small reward.

sircaffey1
03-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Let him pitch from the pen and if he regains what he had two seasons ago, you have a beautiful piece to bargain with. He's got a solid arm. If he becomes available for relatively cheap, why not take a chance...

Unregistered
03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Uhm, never enough pitching...

I've always liked Greinke and I think he can become something great if he gets out of that hell hole that is Kansas City. I would love to see him here.I dunno, we might actually have "enough" starting pitching at this point. :cool:

As far as the bullpen goes, that's another story...

SoxyStu
03-02-2006, 06:28 PM

That's a pretty quick verdict on Jenks...he's been in the big show with us maybe half a season? Albeit, he showed some great stuff in playoff crunchtime. I'd like to see him battle some adversity before I'd say he worked out well (if/when the league can catch up to him) . I will agree and say he has thus far and hopes he continues.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Greinke for Sean Tracey straight up, do you do it?

KRS1
03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Greinke for Sean Tracey straight up, do you do it?

Honestly, I'm as big a Tracey fan as you'll probably find here, but youre kidding right? If KW was offered this deal, he'd probably pass.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Honestly, I'm as big a Tracey fan as you'll probably find here, but youre kidding right? If KW was offered this deal, he'd probably pass.

Yeah, you're right, bad example. How about Arnie Munoz? lol, seriously though, Josh Fields and.... Josh Fields? The pitcher and the hitter?

KRS1
03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, you're right, bad example. How about Arnie Munoz? lol, seriously though, Josh Fields and.... Josh Fields? The pitcher and the hitter?

Their system is already DEEP at 3rd/1st base prospects. So they most likely wouldnt have any need for Josh. Joshua's fresh off an injury so they wouldnt consider him either. They would probably want Liotta, or Tracey and an one of Owens/Sweeney/Valido or another position player ranked highly.

Tragg
03-03-2006, 12:52 AM
The dude had a 5.80 ERA last year - giving up any sort of talent for this pitcher seems dubious at best.;
He had his career game against us, but that's all it was....a poor man's joe randa leve player.

MadetoOrta
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Can you say middle relief on the defending World Champions? The guy has a golden arm but was brought up too quickly because KC is so pathetic. Jenks and Garland come to mind. If it doesn't cost us much, it's a great flyer.

Chicken Dinner
03-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Sounds like a head case!

slavko
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
If you judge him by what he did against the White Sox, he has talent. If you look at his overall record, he's a bozo. I'd take a shot at him if the price was right. Buy low.......

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 11:16 AM
From Wednesday's KC Star:

"Sources confirmed previous statements by Baird and Bell that Greinke’s departure was not a disciplinary matter, a legal issue, due to a physical injury or reflected a lack of desire to remain in baseball. Sources also confirmed the issue did not involve a family member or any other person."
So what was it then? :?:

Flight #24
03-03-2006, 11:25 AM
From Wednesday's KC Star:

So what was it then? :?:

He doesn't like being a Royal. So they're not disciplining him, he's walking out on them.

This is where KW can swoop in and possibly get a talented young pitcher with some success at the big league level at a discount. If that costs you a talented, younger, but completely unproven prospect, then it could be worth it.

SoxxoS
03-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Gammons in his blog said that many believe he just lost interest in pitching.

Have you guys seen his 50 mph curveball on MVP baseball? The guy should be unhittable, just like in the game. Give him a shot...

Kevin
03-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Guys, I feel like I can shed a little more light on him. I grew up in the same school district as him in Orlando and his mom teaches at the High school I graduated from last year. I overheared on a cellphone in the airport that the hot rumor was always that he was originally supposed to go to my school, but the baseball coach (who is fantastic) wouldn't let him pitch on varsity freshman year. Legend has it he pitched a fit and transfered to another public school (I'm not sure if that's legal). He has a history of throwing hissy fits. One funny side story, a few weeks ago I was at a party that he happened to be at, and he told one of my friends that he was a free agent after this year (Because of the contract he signed as a draftee). Apparently, he didn't understand the major league service requirements.

beckett21
03-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Guys, I feel like I can shed a little more light on him. I grew up in the same school district as him in Orlando and his mom teaches at the High school I graduated from last year. I overheared on a cellphone in the airport that the hot rumor was always that he was originally supposed to go to my school, but the baseball coach (who is fantastic) wouldn't let him pitch on varsity freshman year. Legend has it he pitched a fit and transfered to another public school (I'm not sure if that's legal). He has a history of throwing hissy fits. One funny side story, a few weeks ago I was at a party that he happened to be at, and he told one of my friends that he was a free agent after this year (Because of the contract he signed as a draftee). Apparently, he didn't understand the major league service requirements.

You should have told him to pull his head out of his ***, grow up, and be a man. :redneck

Honestly, if he has a legitimate excuse that's fine. But if he's just pouting like a spoiled brat then I wouldn't want any part of him on the White Sox.

How many people would love to be in his position? *raises hand*

ChiSoxRowand
03-05-2006, 01:41 AM
I heard a rumor that he has bi-polar disorder or some other depression problem.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-05-2006, 02:12 AM
You should have told him to pull his head out of his ***, grow up, and be a man. :redneck

Honestly, if he has a legitimate excuse that's fine. But if he's just pouting like a spoiled brat then I wouldn't want any part of him on the White Sox.

He has earned about $3 mil to date ($2.475 mil signing bonus in 2002, chump change in 2003 (minors) and the league minimum in 2004 & 2005.

If it is because of the money (or lack of) he better screw his head on as he is arbitration eligible next season (that is if he plays baseball in 2006 and earns his 3rd year of playing time).

If it is personal issues unrelated to baseball, it wouldn't be shocking as he is very young (turned 22 while the White Sox were in the World Series) and like many youngsters may need some time to sort out some issues or he may actually be suffering from a serious depression.

His K rate decreased to 5.6 / 9 innings last year and he gave up too many baserunners (his WHIP ballooned to 1.563 last season from 1.166 in 2004) to be effective in 2005. He also gives up close to a HR a start which he will need to work on (too many hanging curves).

Unless he can regain his 2004 form (and straighten out his problems) he will be a #4 or 5 in the majors for the time being- a far dropoff from the high expectations he came into the league with in 2004. I had him in fantasy leagues in both years (obviously pleased in 2004 and not in 2005 - I cut him in June during the first waiver process).

That said he is 22 years old and there are not too many pitchers in their early 20s dominating (now or in the past) at this stage of their development. Kansas City will not trade him until his final season of arbitration at the earliest (baring some crazy offer). Hopefully he can get back on the field for himself and the Royals.

soxinem1
03-05-2006, 09:58 AM

Zack Greinke translated to Spanish:

Wil Cordero!!

chaerulez
03-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't think a lot of people realize who highly of a prospect he has been rated. It would be worth it to take the risk on this guy, assuming the Royals would want someone like Tracey, Hernandez, or Owens (the last two because our positions in those areas are pretty much filled for the next two years) but I wouldn't trade Broadway because while Broadway might not have as high of a ceiling I think he is more major league ready at this point.

CashMan
03-05-2006, 10:54 AM
SoxxoS

I think Gammons was sorta right. Lost interest in pitching, No! Lost interest in pitching for the Royals who suck, YES!

beckett21
03-05-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't think a lot of people realize who highly of a prospect he has been rated. It would be worth it to take the risk on this guy, assuming the Royals would want someone like Tracey, Hernandez, or Owens (the last two because our positions in those areas are pretty much filled for the next two years) but I wouldn't trade Broadway because while Broadway might not have as high of a ceiling I think he is more major league ready at this point.

I know how highly of a prospect he has been rated.

It's meaningless if he doesn't play. Jon Rauch faced a proverbial lynch mob when he left a game early (and I defended him, FWIW). If Greinke walks out on one team, what's to stop him from doing it again?

Hopefully, if there are medical issues such as depression or bipolar disorder he is able to get them taken care of and get back out onto the field. If there is a medical illness, then he certainly has my sympathy. Otherwise, he needs to stop acting like a spoiled brat and grow up.

Baby Fisk
03-06-2006, 08:35 AM

No kidding. Someone take this kid aside and beat some sense into him. Greinke is burning bridges and wasting the opportunity of a lifetime. A few more fits like this and in a few years he'll be reduced to pretending he's John Rocker on dating websites... :cool:

mjharrison72
03-06-2006, 10:04 AM
All this talk of why he left aside, I really think Greinke is a little overhyped. Sure, he had some of the best games of his life against the Sox, and has a big fan in Hawk. And whoever pointed out that he's only 22 is right... he still may develop into a great pitcher.

But take a look at his stats, and they're not that impressive. I'm willing to ignore the 5-17 record as having something to do with the rest of his team. But the 5.80 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and .309 BAA, after pitching more than 180 innings last year, do not spell future success to me.

If we can sign him to a minor-league contract and work on him in Charlotte, that would be one thing, but as far as a spot in our rotation or bullpen, I'll pass.

Chicken Dinner
03-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Now Redman has a sore knee and is flying back to KC. Looks like the Royals are not going to be very competitive this year.

ondafarm
03-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I can relate to this guy. He's been a star and a big winner all his life and here he is suffering for years with a lousy team with zero prospect of getting better for quite awhile. That being said, I have no mercy for him. Not one in a million guys has the ability he has and here he is blowing it because the team isn't All-Stars around him. Not many people get to play major league baseball and, I'm not trying to sound like Crash Davis here, should enjoy every doggone second of their time there. It will end before you know it. When I had my second knee surgery, I knew my pathetic minor league career was over and I wondered if there was anything I could have done to keep it alive one season longer. I still occasionally get emails from teammates or guys I coached on various aspects who've just reached the tipping point and asking for one more season. If I knew/met Zach, I'd sit him down and say, "Kid, if tomorrow was the last day you could throw the ball major league caliber how would you throw? Think that every day!!!"

Baby Fisk
03-08-2006, 08:14 AM
The latest on Greinke: linky (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14043050.htm)

Royals pitcher Zack Greinke is undergoing counseling from a sports psychologist near his home in Orlando, Fla., as part of a treatment program for longstanding emotional issues, The Star has learned from multiple sources.

Club officials declined to confirm that Greinke is undergoing such treatment, and efforts to contact Greinke and his family were unsuccessful.

Club officials did say Greinke, 22, appears to be making progress in dealing with what they still term “personal matters,” but they remain leery of predicting any timetable for his return.

AZChiSoxFan
03-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Now Redman has a sore knee and is flying back to KC. Looks like the Royals are not going to be very competitive this year.

Is there anyone on the planet who thought they would be, even with Greinke in camp and a healthy knee for Redman?

Baby Fisk
03-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Is there anyone on the planet who thought they would be, even with Greinke in camp and a healthy knee for Redman?
One hundred losses in 2006 is not a stretch.

AZChiSoxFan
03-08-2006, 01:38 PM
One hundred losses in 2006 is not a stretch.

Right, just like every other season since the mid 90's.