PDA

View Full Version : Dan Ryan Construction nightmare

Law11
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Just watched WGN news at noon.
The construction on the Ryan is set to start
around opening day. from 13th to 95th.
The SOX and IDOT have been in talks and the CTA will be adding
more buses and trains to the Red and Green lines.

All ramps from the Stevenson to the Ryan inbound and outbound will
be closed.

Looks like Ashland as an alternate. My question is having never used
Ashland, what do I take as I get off the Stevenson. Ashland to what?
Or whats another alternate coming off the Stevenson...:angry:

I will be parking around Armor Square area for the games.

Thanks in advance.

CHISOXFAN13
03-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Just watched WGN news at noon.
The construction on the Ryan is set to start
around opening day. from 13th to 95th.
The SOX and IDOT have been in talks and the CTA will be adding
more buses and trains to the Red and Green lines.

All ramps from the Stevenson to the Ryan inbound and outbound will
be closed.

Looks like Ashland as an alternate. My question is having never used
Ashland, what do I take as I get off the Stevenson. Ashland to what?
Or whats another alternate coming off the Stevenson...:angry:

I will be parking around Armor Square area for the games.

Thanks in advance.

35th Street is only about a half mile south off the Ashland exit. It's actually pretty convenient.

Law11
03-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Does 31rd ST intersect on Ashland. Being as 35th is a mess on gameday.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
This will suck indeed. Imagine how long it will take to get out of the lot with all the traffic backed up from the Ryan.....

Law11
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
My issue is do I even bother with Asland as an alternate or just suck it up for the few miles (in my case) and take the ryan into the kennedy up to the NW burbs as I leave the park.

chisoxfanatic
03-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Just a little note:

The Ashland/Archer construction, which started on August 15th, STILL does not look close to being done. You may want to take Damon to 33rd to bypass this intersection until the construction is finished.

Chip Z'nuff
03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
my shortcut is ashland to archer, quick left, then as soon as you can take a right, I forget what street it is but it feeds right into 31st st, 31st smooth sailing to maxwell st depot quick stop, then under the viaduct take right down the alley and into lot c

voodoochile
03-02-2006, 02:37 PM
This will suck indeed. Imagine how long it will take to get out of the lot with all the traffic backed up from the Ryan.....

Park elsewhere and take the train to the game. Heck, park downtown. After 6PM most of the streets are free parking until 6AM the next morning...

itsnotrequired
03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Just a little note:

The Ashland/Archer construction, which started on August 15th, STILL does not look close to being done. You may want to take Damon to 33rd to bypass this intersection until the construction is finished.

Good call. FYI, construction is supposed to be complete on May 24.

Jerko
03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
my shortcut is ashland to archer, quick left, then as soon as you can take a right, I forget what street it is but it feeds right into 31st st, 31st smooth sailing to maxwell st depot quick stop, then under the viaduct take right down the alley and into lot c

Pitney Court I think is the street, but as chisoxfanatic said, that whole AREA is still in a shambles. If there is ANY traffic at all you may be stuck there for a while.

itsnotrequired
03-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Park elsewhere and take the train to the game. Heck, park downtown. After 6PM most of the streets are free parking until 6AM the next morning...

Hopefully the Sox-35th station work will be complete by then. The elevator and 33rd St. entrance are currently out of service. Work is supposed to be complete in "spring", whenever that is.

Ryan construction, CTA construction, Archer-Ashland construction, bigger crowds...transportation could be a real bear this season, especially in the spring.

chisoxfanatic
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Good call. FYI, construction is supposed to be complete on May 24.

I sure hope so! I take Archer to Pulaski to get to work every morning.

Do you know if they're replacing the cars-only overpass?

Law11
03-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll either have to deal with the kennedy/Ryan exit at 31st
or Ashland to Pitney Ct/31st to the lots.

Baby Fisk
03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
The anticipation for Hangar's tin foil conspiracy rant and dance party is palpable!

itsnotrequired
03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I sure hope so! I take Archer to Pulaski to get to work every morning.

Do you know if they're replacing the cars-only overpass?

Say goodbye to the overpass. The whole intersection will be signalized at grade. As part of the project, the Archer bridge over the river will be redecked and Robinson St. will be rebuilt from Ashland to 31st.

You can read more about it here:

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalContentItemAction.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@025019 5242.1141328162@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddhddjgdllcefecelldffhdffn.0&contentOID=536929084&contenTypeName=COC_EDITORIAL&topChannelName=Dept&blockName=Transportation%2FCurrent+Construction+Pr ojects%2FI+Want+To&context=dept&channelId=-536879037&programId=536879161&entityName=Transportation&deptMainCategoryOID=-536883911

There is also a map showing the reconfiguration:

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/MapLayout2.pdf

Cat Thief
03-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Hey don't advertise that route! :smile:

Looks like the Ashland exit to Wood to 39th st is a good option. You have to back track a little bit but Union, Lowe or Wallace will get you back pretty quickly. I actually park on 33rd and Wallace so until that Ashland construction is done, it will take me a bit longer. My worst problem is getting on 55 from northbound Cicero. Talk about a cluster ****.

Law11
03-02-2006, 03:08 PM

If you take a that quick left , then the first right you are pretty much doing a
loop around to get to the 31st st feed correct?

russ99
03-02-2006, 03:17 PM
My worst problem is getting on 55 from northbound Cicero. Talk about a cluster ****.

No kidding. Good lord. :angry:

chisoxmike
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
:cleo
"I see many Sox fans and people on these boards bitching after the game on April 2 about how long it took to park at the game and how people who work at the park are "idiots" and "incompetent."

Chip Z'nuff
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
If you take a that quick left , then the first right you are pretty much doing a
loop around to get to the 31st st feed correct?

I've been asked not to advertise this route anymore :cool:

The Critic
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't think I'm going to drive to a single game this year.
CTA all the way, baybeeeeee!!!!!
On second thought......maybe.....MAYBE.....I'll drive to a game if I plan on arriving two hours or so before game time.......maybe......
Anyone know how long we can wait for traffic to filter out of the parking lots? Is there a set closing time for the lots after a game?

Law11
03-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I've been asked not to advertise this route anymore :cool:

I will have to investigate it next week when I'm down that way...

Cat Thief
03-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think I'm going to drive to a single game this year.
CTA all the way, baybeeeeee!!!!!
On second thought......maybe.....MAYBE.....I'll drive to a game if I plan on arriving two hours or so before game time.......maybe......
Anyone know how long we can wait for traffic to filter out of the parking lots? Is there a set closing time for the lots after a game?

Just out of curiosity how are you taking the CTA from the SW burbs?

Chip Z'nuff
03-02-2006, 03:36 PM
I will have to investigate it next week when I'm down that way...
I was just kidding, I haven't taken that shortcut route since last year and it sounds like it might not be a good alternative if the archer bridge is out, but yeah do a couple dry runs and make sure to get a few of those hot dogs at the depot for your hard work!

Chip Z'nuff
03-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Just jump on the Metra HC, don't forget your parachute though, as the train passes the park, jump! For the ride home just hop a freight it will be slow but you may meet some interesting people.

<thread hijack>One of my best Sox memories was at the cubs sox game in 2004 after Jose Valentine won the game for us, Walking to my car and seeing a Metra train going down the HC tracks full speed horns blairing and the engineer waving a Sox flag through the window of the Engine cab</thread hijack>

skottyj242
03-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Pretty happy about the whole Blue Line to Red Line right about now.

salty99
03-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I will just walk from Plainfield.

SoxFan78
03-02-2006, 04:03 PM

I have the weekend package because I love to tailgate. So every Saturday I have my little route to the park so I can get in the lots with plenty of drinking and grilling times.

But on Sundays, im gonna drive my ass to the forest park blue line station and take that in!

batmanZoSo
03-02-2006, 04:08 PM

I'll be the one laughing maniacally on the redline. :roflmao:

No way I'm using the Dan Ryan for any reason while this is going on. If I go to a game, it's straight from work. Screw all that noise, there's nothing I hate more than traffic.

lostletters
03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Well I guess I will take a little non-expressway called archer to games until this is done.

Is it just me, or does it seem like this expressway is ALWAYS under construction.

itsnotrequired
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Well I guess I will take a little non-expressway called archer to games until this is done.

Is it just me, or does it seem like this expressway is ALWAYS under construction.

Archer is fine...assuming the bridge is still in service.:cool:

The Dan Ryan has been under "major" construction for the last two years (there is always some minor stuff going on). Work included bridge repairs and ramp reconfiguration. This work has been in preparation for the 2006-2007 mainline work.

I love the statements by IDOT in regards to traffic:

Middle SectionóDan Ryan Express Lanes 31st Street to 71st Street - 2006 Construction Season

Express lanes will be closed entirely in both directions for reconstruction; all traffic will be diverted to the three local lanes in each direction. Delays should be expected.
Delays indeed...

:roflmao:

batmanZoSo
03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Man, this damn expressway better be paved in gold when this is all over. With inlaid commemorative sox player plaques every 15 yards or so. And you should win stuff for using it.

bigfoot
03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Man, this damn expressway better be paved in gold when this is all over. With inlaid commemorative sox player plaques every 15 yards or so. And you should win stuff for using it.

Will the work be done in time for the consumation of a long term lease agreement with a foreign consortium to be named later?

JohnBasedowYoda
03-02-2006, 06:51 PM

It'd take more time for me to drive downtown and park there then grab a train. Plus we paid for parking at the cell.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-02-2006, 06:52 PM

Or wide lanes. Or maybe a dude handing off gatorade.

Dick Allen
03-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm going to invest in a frickin' helicopter. Screw IDOT.

soxjim
03-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Thank goodness I use the Red Line.

DieTrying79
03-02-2006, 11:12 PM
I'll be in town in April and have tickets for the game on Good Friday against Toronto. My usual m.o. from NWI was taking the Skyway up, merge at the end with 94, and work my way to 33rd or 35th, which even with kinda bad traffic wasn't too horrible. I'm planning on meeting some people from WSI near the park around 3-4. If I'm getting there that early, do you think I'll be victimized by 94? Maybe just exit early and work my way via local roads to the park? Or I could jump on the South Shore, get downtown, and then Redline it to the park. Man, great to be back in Chicago for my favorite season-contruction season!

Viva Medias B's
03-02-2006, 11:43 PM
If you approach from the Stevenson and exit Damen/Ashland, use Damen instead of Ashland. That will at least get you around the the Ashland/Archer road construction.

Sargeant79
03-03-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm planning on meeting some people from WSI near the park around 3-4. If I'm getting there that early, do you think I'll be victimized by 94?

You'll be victimized no matter what time you take it. The Dan Ryan is going to be a parking lot almost 24 hours a day for the duration of this project.

I would recommend exiting the Skyway at Stony Island or so and navigating side streets up to Pershing or 35th. Main streets that will get you there are Stony Island, Cottage Grove, King Dr., and State St.

dondosae1
03-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I would recommend exiting the Skyway at Stony Island or so and navigating side streets up to Pershing or 35th. Main streets that will get you there are Stony Island, Cottage Grove, King Dr., and State St.

Sargeant hit it on the head. Take the skyway, but get off on Stony Island and head north. It really isn't that bad...the problem is, that route is going to have a ton of traffic too. i noticed on the news last night that this is considered an "alternate" route. Definitely going to make it tough for us Indiana fans...but what can you do.

MySoxAreClean
03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Or WSI members can get toghter car pool as one big family singing Don't stop believing " I suggest renting school busses in lot's were we can get pick up and dropped off at the park. We did that a few times and we had a blast we were able to drink on our way there . But never ride the small bus like me when I was little, Mom said I was spe:gulp: cial.....

Chip Z'nuff
03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Or WSI members can get toghter car pool as one big family singing Don't stop believing " I suggest renting school busses in lot's were we can get pick up and dropped off at the park. We did that a few times and we had a blast we were able to drink on our way there . But never ride the small bus like me when I was little, Mom said I was spe:gulp: cial.....

That really isn't a bid idea, most school bus yards will leave the keys in the busses so as long as we put the bus back after we are done, no one wll be the wiser!

ChiSoxGirl
03-03-2006, 10:43 AM
This is going to be such a nightmare that ID(i)OT has even created a website for this disaster here (http://www.avoidtheryan.com/map.html)! MERCY! That site is good because it clearly highlights various alternate routes to avoid the impending disaster.

Somewhere on the site I saw that in 2007, the local lanes will be closed and all traffic rerouted to the express lanes. Unless they've got some sort of trick up their sleeves, this could pose a potentially worse problem for Sox fans trying to exit around the ballpark!

hdog1017
03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I would just take the "L".

I wish that the Metra would stop there too.

Chip Z'nuff
03-03-2006, 10:58 AM

Somewhere on the site I saw that in 2007, the local lanes will be closed and all traffic rerouted to the express lanes. Unless they've got some sort of trick up their sleeves, this could pose a potentially worse problem for Sox fans trying to exit around the ballpark!
They will leave openings in the barriers for all the exits, I take the ryan to 35th to come to work everyday and I must admit, the Ryan is going to look beautiful when finished. They put up the entrance at 35th and moved it back about 2 blocks to hold a traffic queue on Lasalle instead of on the expressway. So when traveling northbound, the 35th st exit is now at about 37th st.

mcfish
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
They will leave openings in the barriers for all the exits, I take the ryan to 35th to come to work everyday and I must admit, the Ryan is going to look beautiful when finished. They put up the entrance at 35th and moved it back about 2 blocks to hold a traffic queue on Lasalle instead of on the expressway. So when traveling northbound, the 35th st exit is now at about 37th st.That road will always be ugly to me after then next two years of pure hell it is going to put me through. Why oh why did I leave the South Suburbs and move to the South Loop?

lostletters
03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
That road will always be ugly to me after then next two years of pure hell it is going to put me through. Why oh why did I leave the South Suburbs and move to the South Loop?

There is something called a train for you city folk. Us suburbanites have to find other options.

mcfish
03-03-2006, 11:48 AM
There is something called a train for you city folk. Us suburbanites have to find other options.Has nothing to do with Sox games. I work in Homewood. I moved to the city to be close to things like Sox games, but now this project is going to force me onto Metra to get to work every morning (the 2 miles between the train and work with no public transportation is the problem - I like the train). And going back to visit the family is going to be a nightmare.

The whole project is just a disaster waiting to happen.

spiffie
03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
One good thing about living in the city...taking Canal to Roosevelt, Roosevelt to LSD, and then taking that beautiful drive up north to Wilson as my route home after Sox games, and not fighting the Ryan or any other major expressway.

SoxFan78
03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
There is something called a train for you city folk. Us suburbanites have to find other options.

Depending on where you live, you can drive to one of the el stations in the burbs and take the train in from there.

The Critic
03-03-2006, 12:15 PM

drive to the Orange Line at Midway.
pay 2 bucks to park.
Orange to Red, Red to 35th.

:bandance:

EDITED to add Plan B:
Park for free at my wife's work.
Blue Line to Red, Red to 35th.

:bandance: :bandance:

slavko
03-03-2006, 12:18 PM

Downtown (the loop) is now full of 2-hour meters which only become active after 6 PM. Before that parking is illegal. Maybe near Roosevelt is OK?

Chip Z'nuff
03-03-2006, 12:41 PM
drive to the Orange Line at Midway.
pay 2 bucks to park.
Orange to Red, Red to 35th.

:bandance:

EDITED to add Plan B:
Park for free at my wife's work.
Blue Line to Red, Red to 35th.

:bandance: :bandance:

Or green! No stops from Roosevelt to 35th

areilly
03-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Ditto. Gotta love that newly-renovated Jackson Red Line station.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Ditto. Gotta love that newly-renovated Jackson Red Line station.

Jackson Blue Line station is being renovated right now.

SoxFan78
03-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Jackson Blue Line station is being renovated right now.

About time! Its like two different worlds when you make the transfer from the blue to the red over there.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
About time! Its like two different worlds when you make the transfer from the blue to the red over there.

The work will be more or less the same as what was done at the Red Line Jackson station and the recent Red Line Lake station upgrade. Work has just started so there isn't too much happening right now. Look for it to ramp up this summer. There may be some temporary weekend closures so keep that in mind when you are looking to transfer between the lines.

The project isn't expected to be complete until the end of 2007.

JKryl
03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Ah, shoot. I never thought of the Ryan construction when I ordered tickets, and this is the one time I got parking passes to go with the tickets. So I can eat $18 or take the el. Oh, well.

I wonder what they're going to do for the World Series this year with no access roads? And, I thought last year was bad.

Railsplitter
03-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I understand the Dan Ryan will be worked on this year. Any body know if it's the whole road, north of 35th or south of 35th?

Layla
03-05-2006, 11:57 AM
There's a thread around here somewhere about the Dan Ryan work.

The Racehorse
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Here it is;

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67166&highlight=Dan+Ryan

HomeFish
03-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Us folks at WSI should compile a database of where people coming in from out of town could park and take the CTA. I feel that would be a useful service to our fellow fans.

Any volunteers?

Beer Can Chicken
03-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Us folks at WSI should compile a database of where people coming in from out of town could park and take the CTA. I feel that would be a useful service to our fellow fans.

Any volunteers?

Park at the Grant park North or South garage, walk to 2 blocks west, get on the red line. I bet it ends up being faster and cheaper.

The Critic
03-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Or green! No stops from Roosevelt to 35th
VERY good point, Chip! Thanks!!
I guess that's why Green = GO and Red = STOP, eh?
:D:

ihatethecubs
03-06-2006, 04:35 AM
why wont they put the damn metra stops in? both the sox and metra would benifit.

cubhater
03-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Another situation that nobody's mentioned so far is INCREASED attendance for this year which would make congestion around The Cell worse on game days.

I don't know the exact residential parking boundaries on game days but it's free and clear west of Morgan St. (1000W) at 35th. I walk to the games faster than the cars stuck in congestion at that intersection. Something for you guys traveling on the Stevenson to consider.

OzzieBall2004
03-06-2006, 02:41 PM
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/park.html

All the park and ride stops you will need....this will be a savior if the Ryan is as bad as people are expecting it to be.

IronFisk
03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Looks like people from the South and Indiana are screwed. Best option is to "try" and park at the 95th Ave. Red Line station. Metra Electric dumps you only as close as 27th - where you'd need a bus to complete the journey. South Shore is not an option - no stops anywhere close - unless you want to sink the time and loop back south from downtown on the red line.

Does anybody know if ample parking exists around that 95th St. station?

Law11
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Looks like people from the South and Indiana are screwed. Best option is to "try" and park at the 95th Ave. Red Line station. Metra Electric dumps you only as close as 27th - where you'd need a bus to complete the journey. South Shore is not an option - no stops anywhere close - unless you want to sink the time and loop back south from downtown on the red line.

Its like any other station except its at 95th... I'd sit in traffic before leaving my car at that lot.

SoLongFrank
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I wish that they would put a Metra stop by USCF. It's not that I don't like the El but the Metra would get me to the park in under 40 minutes. If they allowed me to use my monthly pass plus say a $2 surcharge it would even cost me less.

I'd stop driving to the games then.

esbrechtel
03-14-2006, 07:08 PM
any ideas on how to get there from the western suburbs?

Chip Z'nuff
03-14-2006, 07:25 PM

No parking anywhere around the cta depot, you could always park at 103rd and western in Beverly and take the 103rd st bus over to the red line station. Then after the game you'll be able to celebrate on Western before heading back home.

Also the Sox run a Shuttle from McCormick place so you could take the Electric to McCormick place. I don't know how you could get home though.

Law11
03-14-2006, 07:38 PM
any ideas on how to get there from the western suburbs?

take 88 to 294 to the stevenson and exit at Damen.

I'm not familiar enough with 290 to give directions from there
I usually take that into the 94/ryan interchange when I do take it but that wont be an option this year unless you take that and get off at Taylor St
and work your way in to USCF.

ws05champs
03-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm not familiar enough with 290 to give directions from there

290 inbound during the week crawls all the way until about Harlem or Central. If you must take 290 get off at Ashland and work your way down to 35th or Pershing. The Stevenson moves much better.