PDA

View Full Version : How did Singleton do?

Parrothead
03-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I was listening to the game today and was wondering what everyone thought about the job Singleton did today.

Personally, I know it was his first game but I don't see how "he blew the Sox away". He sounded like DJ to me.

The Critic
03-01-2006, 06:59 PM
I thought he was OK, but his voice sounds kind of shaky to me.
Farmer is still the weak link, IMO.

SweetnesSox
03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I thought he was okay. It's gonna take a while for him to get comfortable and for us to get comfortable with his voice.

BRDSR
03-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Semi-thread hijack:

Does the Score stream the broadcasts live over the internet? I know that 1000 streamed their normal programming but not the broadcasts. Thanks.

SoxFan76
03-01-2006, 07:22 PM
He reminded me of Darrin Jackson Jr. He's just like him. He even made these lame jokes that Farmer ignored because they were so dumb.

And no, The Score's website doesn't braodcast Sox games.

Jjav829
03-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Nothing overly impressive. I still think hiring Singleton will turn out to be a bad move, but he wasn't that bad for his first broadcast. Maybe there is some potential there. I hope...

Kuzman
03-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I just got off the phone with my uncle and he asked me how Singleton was. I replied with just about the same as everyone else here. :DJ

Uh-Oh!

But seriously, he didn't sound too bad to be honest with you. It did seem a little bit different not hearing Rooney after all of these years. I guess you just have to get used to change

FoulTerritory
03-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I just got off the phone with my uncle and he asked me how Singleton was. I replied with just about the same as everyone else here. :DJ

Uh-Oh!

But seriously, he didn't sound too bad to be honest with you. It did seem a little bit different not hearing Rooney after all of these years. I guess you just have to get used to change

DJ has improved a lot I think, but yes, Singleton definitely reminded me of Jackson's first season.

Brian26
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I didn't listen to the game. I heard about 10 seconds of the opening when Singleton was reading the lineups, and he was taking his time. He sounded a bit uncomfortable and not completely confident, but hopefully that will come with time.

JoeCrede4MVP06
03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Singleton definitely sounded unsure about himself. But this was his first game in the booth, it's to be expected. Let's not forget, he was one of the guys that announcers were talking about a year ago at this time.

CLR01
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Did they give him a broken mic? It sounded muffled when he talked.

D. TODD
03-01-2006, 08:58 PM
I heard about 3 innings on and off. He was o.k., but hell he is working with Farmer, so I hope he talks more. Farmer is just painful to listen to!

HotelWhiteSox
03-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I thought it was okay, but just different. Very weird to hear Farmer introduce his partner Chris Singleton when the broadcast started.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-01-2006, 09:10 PM
The combo of Farmer and Singleton will be bad news. At multiple points in the game they completely talked over what happened. A guy would come up to bat. Farmer would ask a question. Chris would answer. The next thing you knew the guy struck out on a 3-2 pitch. Chris would be going on and you could here the crowd reacting to the game.

Other than that I thougt he was pretty good. He made some good points about technique and what not.

I'm sure he'll fix up his game nicely.

heeman31
03-01-2006, 10:21 PM
don't quite understand the comparisons to DJ, but he did sound a bit shaky as someone stated above. granted it's his first game as a commentator EVER, so fans should probably be a little more understanding while he progresses...if he does.

UofCSoxFan
03-01-2006, 10:29 PM
For some reason I just put 2 and 2 together today that this is the Chris Singleton formerly of the Sox.......duh

ChiSoxGirl
03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm comparing two different entities here, but I got the same feelings about Singleton today that I got about Bryan Dolgin last April. Both guys had HUGE shoes to fill and something like that doesn't happen overnight, and both replaced guys who we grew accustomed to for as many as 18 years. I'm trying to be patient with Singleton, seeing as the only way someone gets good at their job is through experience, but if today is any indication, patience will, indeed, have to be a virtue.

Also, did anyone else find it weird to be listening to the Sox on 670? I kept waiting for Farmer to screw up and say we were "listening to the Sox on ESPN Radio 1000, your Sox baseball network." I was half expecting to hear commercials from the same sponsors, too- Mr. Submarine, NECA/IBEW Local 134.... Can you tell I listen to over 100 games/season?

It's also painful to hear all those promos for shows like The Mike North Morning Show, Mulligan & Hanley, and Mike Murphy, who supposedly talk World Champion White Sox baseball. Funny... every time I hear Murphy (which isn't very often), he's blabbering about his favorite team 8.1 miles north. :?:

RedPinStripes
03-01-2006, 10:40 PM
I never used to say this, but after hearing that broadcast, I cant wait to hear Hawk.

SOecks
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm comparing two different entities here, but I got the same feelings about Singleton today that I got about Bryan Dolgin last April. Both guys had HUGE shoes to fill and something like that doesn't happen overnight, and both replaced guys who we grew accustomed to for as many as 18 years. I'm trying to be patient with Singleton, seeing as the only way someone gets good at their job is through experience, but if today is any indication, patience will, indeed, have to be a virtue.

Also, did anyone else find it weird to be listening to the Sox on 670? I kept waiting for Farmer to screw up and say we were "listening to the Sox on ESPN Radio 1000, your Sox baseball network." I was half expecting to hear commercials from the same sponsors, too- Mr. Submarine, NECA/IBEW Local 134.... Can you tell I listen to over 100 games/season?

It's also painful to hear all those promos for shows like The Mike North Morning Show, Mulligan & Hanley, and Mike Murphy, who supposedly talk World Champion White Sox baseball. Funny... every time I hear Murphy (which isn't very often), he's blabbering about his favorite team 8.1 miles north. :?:

ChiSoxGirl, you summed up what I was going to post EXACTLY. I thought Singleton was a decent listen and think he has potential to be good but it's tough when we compare him to a great like Rooney. The commercials on the Score are a big problem for me though because they're so amateurish (Copier World, JDS Financial, etc.) and I can't stand the plugging of North's show all the time. Whenever I turn on his show he's talking politics or interviewing a D-List celebrity from the 1970's.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM

Yeah the score comes in funny on my stereo. In the background I can here blues/soul music.

heeman31
03-01-2006, 10:44 PM

I can't stand any chicago sports writers/radio hosts, they irritate the hell out of me, however, i don't mind listening to mack, jurko and harry or dan patrick, though they kind of annoy me as well. i don't know how everyone else feels, but i kinda wish the sox were still on espn radio, but that's just me.

Frontman
03-01-2006, 10:53 PM
It was a first day of a spring training exposition game. Of course Farmer and Singelton need to work out the bugs. While I'll miss Rooney like there is no tomorrow, I won't write them off just yet.

And I actually am propably in the minority here, but I'm glad that Sox baseball is now on an actual Chicago station, instead of ESPN, who after last year's post season coverage, illustrated what they think of our teams. Sorry, tell me all you want about how great Mac, Urko, and Harry are, but they are just as bad, if not worse, than the guys on the Score. I'll agree with you North on his own stinks, and Mike Murphy saying he'll cover the Sox just as much as the Cubs is laughable, but Bors and Berstein are far more entertaining than the 3 idiots on 1000.

ChiSoxGirl
03-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I can't stand any chicago sports writers/radio hosts, they irritate the hell out of me, however, i don't mind listening to mack, jurko and harry or dan patrick, though they kind of annoy me as well. i don't know how everyone else feels, but i kinda wish the sox were still on espn radio, but that's just me.

I'm with you, in that I wish the Sox were still on ESPN 1000. I loved the pre & post shows with Bryan Dolgin and toward the end of the season when he & Bruce Levine did Chicago Baseball Tonight 'til midnight, that was a pretty good listen, too. Heck, I even liked the lead-in from Mac, Jurko, & Harry! 1000 is the first AM preset in my car & at home and I can only wish that I'd be listening to it as much this year as I have over the past ten.

I NEVER listen to The Score and it pains me to think that I'll be tuned to that station for much of the summer, boosting their ratings, given how frequently I listen to games. Those commercials are just lame and the sponsors seem weak. At least I didn't hear any spots during the game today for adult entertainment like I have during their Sox show on Saturday mornings! As a woman, those commercials just don't sit well with me.

heeman31
03-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm with you, in that I wish the Sox were still on ESPN 1000. I loved the pre & post shows with Bryan Dolgin and toward the end of the season when he & Bruce Levine did Chicago Baseball Tonight 'til midnight, that was a pretty good listen, too. Heck, I even liked the lead-in from Mac, Jurko, & Harry! 1000 is the first AM preset in my car & at home and I can only wish that I'd be listening to it as much this year as I have over the past ten.

I NEVER listen to The Score and it pains me to think that I'll be tuned to that station for much of the summer, boosting their ratings, given how frequently I listen to games. Those commercials are just lame and the sponsors seem weak. At least I didn't hear any spots during the game today for adult entertainment like I have during their Sox show on Saturday mornings! As a woman, those commercials just don't sit well with me.

WORD.

Parrothead
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM

This is what bothers me....Singleton has no experience and he was very bland with no life. How did he get the job? There were much better color guys out there, i.e. Kittle, Lyons, and any one in the parade of guys they had filling in for Hawk. Anyone one of these guys have more life in thier delivery. Guess, it will be a long season for me, if I have to listen to the games on radio.

CLR01
03-02-2006, 12:01 AM
ChiSoxGirl, you summed up what I was going to post EXACTLY. I thought Singleton was a decent listen and think he has potential to be good but it's tough when we compare him to a great like Rooney. The commercials on the Score are a big problem for me though because they're so amateurish (Copier World, JDS Financial, etc.) and I can't stand the plugging of North's show all the time. Whenever I turn on his show he's talking politics or interviewing a D-List celebrity from the 1970's.

Quit comparing him to Rooney. He did not take Rooneys spot, Farmer did.

bigfoot
03-02-2006, 04:43 AM

Bingo!!!!!!

Without having heard the broadcast, I'll go out on a limb and guess that CS did about as well as Farmio did during his first broadcast.

starboy0
03-02-2006, 05:44 AM
I don't think he was that bad at all. Learning his trade at this point but I think he has potential. Did offer some insights.

C-Dawg
03-02-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm comparing two different entities here, but I got the same feelings about Singleton today that I got about Bryan Dolgin last April.

Very true. I thought Dolgin sounded very nervous at first but I quickly grew to like him as he became more comfortable with the job.

I think Singleton will prove to be a lot better than DJ. It may take a while for the two of them to get their on-air relationship worked out (Farmer was EXCELLENT in my opinion as the dry, sarcastic partner to the otherwise upbeat Rooney); perhaps a lively, talkative Singleton may play the "Rooney role" as the upbeat member of the broadcast, even if its just as the color guy. Don't get me wrong; I like Farmer - I just think he needs a bubbly personality there in the booth with him.

Minnie Me
03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
All I can say is WOW and welcome to the Golden Age of Sox Radio.
For a first broadcast these guys were really on top of their game! They made a great first impression, insightful analysis,funny stories, and showed a outstanding knowledge of the game. They made me feel I was right there in Tucson with them.
I really liked how their voices sounded and meshed together. Can't wait to hear them all season long as they get better and better.
What a brainstorm from that genius Brooks Boyer to pair these guys. Who would have thought it would have worked, but wow did it ever.
I won't miss a inning on the radio with these guys. I will even turn the TV sound down and put on the radio.
Score commercials don't bother me at all. After all they are only commercials.
I listen to the Mike North show every morning and find it highly entertaining. It really makes my drive to work in the morning enjoyable. Mike always has a interesting angle and opinions. That being said, Mike Murphy is very annoying and makes every conversation CubCentric. I hope he gets launched. Now thats a guy with a terrible voice, not Singleton and Farmer.

SOXSINCE'70
03-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Funny... every time I hear Murphy (which isn't very often), he's blabbering about his favorite team 8.1 miles north. :?:

To quote a 1986 Bruce Hornsby lyric,"That's just the way it is.
Some things will never change".:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sad
03-02-2006, 07:30 AM
I thought he did OK... let's give Chris some time
spring training is warmup for the players and announcers after all...

I thought it was funny when they were discussing how kids would make a ball when they couldn't afford to buy one... Chris mentioned balling something up with that "silver tape" :?:
Ed replied: "Duct tape"
:rolleyes:
I thought every man knew about duct tape :tongue:
I bet they use that stuff on the shuttle!

itsnotrequired
03-02-2006, 07:32 AM
I didn't listen to the game. I heard about 10 seconds of the opening when Singleton was reading the lineups, and he was taking his time. He sounded a bit uncomfortable and not completely confident, but hopefully that will come with time.

From Scott Reifert's blog:

One Down ...

Congrats to Chris Singleton, who finished his first game on the radio. After doing the open (lineups, etc.), Singleton fell onto the floor of the radio booth laughing as Ed Farmer, Brooks Boyer, Darrin Jackson and Bob Grim looked on applauding.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2006/03/game_1_rockies_.html

:?:

Parrothead
03-02-2006, 07:40 AM
For a first broadcast these guys were really on top of their game! They made a great first impression, insightful analysis,funny stories, and showed a outstanding knowledge of the game. They made me feel I was right there in Tucson with them.
I really liked how their voices sounded and meshed together. Can't wait to hear them all season long as they get better and better.
What a brainstorm from that genius Brooks Boyer to pair these guys. Who would have thought it would have worked, but wow did it ever.
I won't miss a inning on the radio with these guys. I will even turn the TV sound down and put on the radio.
I listen to the Mike North show every morning and find it highly entertaining. It really makes my drive to work in the morning enjoyable. Mike always has a interesting angle and opinions. That being said, Mike Murphy is very annoying and makes every conversation CubCentric. I hope he gets launched. Now thats a guy with a terrible voice, not Singleton and Farmer.

Teal?

twsoxfan5
03-02-2006, 08:35 AM

I agree with you 100%. To me The Score seems like the minors and ESPN seems like the majors. All the programming on the The Score stinks and I dont care if it is all local. Somethimes you need to hear some national sports news especially in Feb. when the Bulls stink, the Blackhawks stink, and all they have to talk about in Chicago is who the Bears are going to get next year.

salty99
03-02-2006, 08:41 AM
I listened to almost the whole game and thought Singleton did OK. Farmer kept setting him up with questions which he was able to answer pretty well. I think they will develop a decent chemistry once the season starts.

mjharrison72
03-02-2006, 09:03 AM
At multiple points in the game they completely talked over what happened. A guy would come up to bat. Farmer would ask a question. Chris would answer. The next thing you knew the guy struck out on a 3-2 pitch. Chris would be going on and you could here the crowd reacting to the game.

Other than that I thougt he was pretty good. He made some good points about technique and what not.

I'm sure he'll fix up his game nicely.
That's what I noticed that bothered me more than anything. I think it's more a product of Farmer not being used to doing PBP than Singleton's inexperience.

I also agree that with experience, they'll be fine. They have some big shoes to fill, and a rocky start is to be expected.

EDIT: And hopefully things will change when these are regular season and playoff games, rather than spring training.

rdwj
03-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Farmer kept setting him up with questions which he was able to answer pretty well. I think they will develop a decent chemistry once the season starts.

I noticed that too. Farmer extended the olive branch and I think Singleton appreciated the gesture. Once they get in their comfort zone, they're gonna be fine.

NoNeckEra
03-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Neil Funk's first year with the Bull's they won their first championship. He replaced Jim Durham, and I remember there was a real outcry over losing Durham at the time.

We all adjusted and forgot rather quickly, because the product on the court is what mattered.

SOXPHILE
03-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Give it time. It was the very first game of spring training. I agree he sounded a bit muffled, and has to work on some things. But, again, it's the first game of spring training. Just as the team is using this month to practice and get ready for the season, I view broadcasters in a similar light. They need a little time to practice and work out the kinks. I think/hope he will be fine, and we must always remember, it's his first time in the booth, and we were VERY spoiled by John Rooney. Give it time.

On another note, I agree it is weird hearing the game on the Score, especially when they come out of those sophomoric commercials for the on air personalities, as well as the ones for strip clubs, male enhancement drugs, casinos, pills that make your son taller so he can play sports, used copiers, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

SOXPHILE
03-02-2006, 10:08 AM

Hi Bebe. How's Licorice ?

VenturaSoxFan23
03-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Bebe. How's Licorice ?
And after you feed and walk him, make sure you call up "MY GUYS!!!" at So-And-So Realitors. Bad credit, no credit, bankruptcy, foreclosures, insurance fraud, no problem...

Oh, Chris will warm up just fine. They just need something to get excited about.

tacosalbarojas
03-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Teddy Greenstein gave him a favorable review in the Trib, so it can't be all bad.

johnr1note
03-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I listened to the broadcast -- Singleton was OK. As many have said, he needs to "warm up."

The problem with this radio team won't be Singleton, but Farmer. A play by play man is supposed to describe the game. Farmer does that, sort of, but also jams in his opinons about everything else. He is talking non-stop. I realize part of the reason may be he is waiting for Singleton to step in -- (he even went so far as to start asking Singleton non-sequitor type questions like "what was the toughest park you ever played center field in the majors?") The man needs to learn to pause, to breathe. It was barely tplerable when he was color man, but I used to dread every game last year when Rooney took a break and Farmio did two or three innings on his own. He loves to hear himself talk.

Its going to be a long season if this keeps up. Hopefully, Chris will be albe to stake his claim for the territory that belongs to him as a color man in the booth, and balance out the much too chatty Farmer.

Bobbo35
03-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Nothing overly impressive. I still think hiring Singleton will turn out to be a bad move, but he wasn't that bad for his first broadcast. Maybe there is some potential there. I hope...

Honestly, he sounded like a public access broadcaster for a high school baseball game. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, he needs time to get the feel.

ChiSoxNationPres
03-02-2006, 04:01 PM
why do so many people dislike Farmer?
I think there is nothing wrong with him. It would be very hard to find someone better.

AZChiSoxFan
03-02-2006, 04:13 PM

:rolleyes: Of course that's true, but the point is that Rooney/Farmer >>>>>>>>>Farmer/Singleton.

CLR01
03-02-2006, 04:24 PM
:rolleyes: Of course that's true, but the point is that Rooney/Farmer >>>>>>>>>Farmer/Singleton.

Of course it is. A comdo of Rooney and Singleton would also be better than the Farmer/Singleton combo right now. Rooney is one of the top PBP men in the country and a pairing of him and just about anyone would be a good team. Fact is Rooney is gone and he is not coming back. Lets quit comparing Singleton to him, which is crap to begin with since Singleton is not the PBP guy, and give the current team a chance.

russ99
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Chris Singleton did a much better job today - he's gonna be fine.

As the new guy, he needs to get a better feel on when to butt in to Farmer's PBP (which does sound strange) It's a change for both of them, and we're all going to need time get used to Chris' voice.

As a recent player, Chris is already starting to give some good insight to what was essentially a meaningless early spring game. A month into the regular season, these guys are going to be great.

BTW - Is it just me or did Farmer say "AM 1000" today? :o:

oeo
03-02-2006, 07:22 PM
It's spring training for everybody...including the announcers. :tongue:

HotelWhiteSox
03-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I personally thought Singleton was brutal today (thought he was okay yesterday), especially towards the end of the game. Farmer kept trying to lead him in with some questions, but a lot of his comments are short and leave an awkward pause, guess they have to get experience with each other. Today though, he sounded real slow and I didn't think it sounded too good. Also, was listening to 'who you crapping' on my drive later on, and he was ripped for saying a lot of inaccurate things and getting names wrong. I guess it's early but I don't know about this move long term. I think a 3rd man might help, there were a lot of awkward pauses in there

ChiSoxGirl
03-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I personally thought Singleton was brutal today (thought he was okay yesterday), especially towards the end of the game. Farmer kept trying to lead him in with some questions, but a lot of his comments are short and leave an awkward pause, guess they have to get experience with each other. Today though, he sounded real slow and I didn't think it sounded too good. Also, was listening to 'who you crapping' on my drive later on, and he was ripped for saying a lot of inaccurate things and getting names wrong. I guess it's early but I don't know about this move long term. I think a 3rd man might help, there were a lot of awkward pauses in there

I heard Farmer trying to lead Singleton with questions, but he didn't seem to take the bait too well. Also, did you catch the fact that Farmer asked Singleton a duplicate of a question he asked him yesterday? Both days- around the same time in the game- he asked Singleton which outfield was the toughest for him to play defensively. I was driving home from work today and was like, "didn't I hear this yesterday?!" The answer yesterday was Yankee Stadium, by the way, but today's answer was Tropicana Field, which Farmer pretty much led him to.... :?:

I fell asleep during the post-game recap of the game (that better not be an indication of what'll happen to me during the regular season when listening to a game!) and woke up during "Who You Crappin'?" and heard the same call you did about Singleton mispronouncing players' names, i.e. Mariano Rivero. An intricate part of being a color analyst is the pronunciation of current & former ballplayers' names, so hopefully the mispronunciation thing is nothing more than nerves showing through.

I'll reiterate what I posted last night. I have the same feelings about Singleton as I did about Bryan Dolgin last April. Both had huge shoes to fill and have many expectations to live up to. Afterall, us Sox fan are a critical and brutal bunch at times. He needs time, plain and simple. I just hope that with that time, he'll become better.

Bobbo35
03-03-2006, 07:40 AM
I agree with you 100%. To me The Score seems like the minors and ESPN seems like the majors. All the programming on the The Score stinks and I dont care if it is all local. Somethimes you need to hear some national sports news especially in Feb. when the Bulls stink, the Blackhawks stink, and all they have to talk about in Chicago is who the Bears are going to get next year.

It is the minors. I cannot stand the score. Mike Murphy is a blowhole.

Sad
03-03-2006, 07:51 AM
why do so many people dislike Farmer?
I think there is nothing wrong with him. It would be very hard to find someone better.

dunno...

Farmer commented on yesterday's broadcast re: SOX mascot SouthPaw:

"when I seen him he was throwing with his right hand"
or something to that effect...

he's a dry-humor guy, which apparently I can appreciate more than others...

SOecks
03-03-2006, 08:47 AM

Yes, I understand that and I think everyone else does to but that's not the point. Rooney is the one gone and Singleton is the new voice. That's the main difference in the broadcast booth for me when I first listened to it.

russ99
03-03-2006, 08:53 AM

I missed the last 3 innings on radio! Oops! :(:

Minnie Me
03-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Wow, I mean wow, these guys are really melding together like the dog-creature Kurt Russell fought in the Thing movie. Painting a word picture of the baseball game on my radio!
Farmer and Singleton will go down in Sox annuals as the All Time radio crew.

ChiSoxGirl
03-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Wow, I mean wow, these guys are really melding together like the dog-creature Kurt Russell fought in the Thing movie. Painting a word picture of the baseball game on my radio!

:?:

You're kidding... right??

Minnie Me
03-03-2006, 09:41 AM
No I'm not kidding. If you get a chance listen to some of the old time radio broadcasts available. You will see that Farmer/Singleton already rank up there as greats and its only been two games. Its radio heaven already.

SOXPHILE
03-03-2006, 09:42 AM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/broadcaster_cws_farmer.jpg
"Everyone, say hello to my lovely wife, Barbara. Thanks for posting that honey, I really appreciate it. And when I say 'honey', I don't mean the kind that bees make, it's more a term of endearment towards the ones you love. Although, both are sweet. Once I had some honey, the kind bees make, and let me tell you something folks, it was sticky. Anyway, I was putting it on my oatmeal, and I got some on my hands. By the way, oatmeal is an extremely healthy way to start the day....."

hdog1017
03-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Singleton was fair at best. Hopefully he'll get better.

SOecks
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/broadcaster_cws_farmer.jpg
"Everyone, say hello to my lovely wife, Barbara. Thanks for posting that honey, I really appreciate it. And when I say 'honey', I don't mean the kind that bees make, it's more a term of endearment towards the ones you love. Although, both are sweet. Once I had some honey, the kind bees make, and let me tell you something folks, it was sticky. Anyway, I was putting it on my oatmeal, and I got some on my hands. By the way, oatmeal is an extremely healthy way to start the day....."

:D: Nothing's better than some good Farmio. Good work.

miker
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
The combo of Farmer and Singleton will be bad news. At multiple points in the game they completely talked over what happened. A guy would come up to bat. Farmer would ask a question. Chris would answer. The next thing you knew the guy struck out on a 3-2 pitch. Chris would be going on and you could here the crowd reacting to the game.
That's a cardinal sin for a radio broadcast...oh for the days when the announcers would talk about the game and not themselves.

Sad
03-03-2006, 11:28 AM

we need another Ask Farmio thread...
:nod:

THEBIGHURT35
03-03-2006, 11:54 AM
All we have here is another person who is going to talk about there useless career. I don't no how they hired him over Black Jack McDowell he sounded the best out of anyone last year who tried.

JKryl
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I was listening to the game today and was wondering what everyone thought about the job Singleton did today.

Personally, I know it was his first game but I don't see how "he blew the Sox away". He sounded like DJ to me.

Not DJ, Singleton was coherent. I thought he was OK. I think Brooks just got excited because Singleton offered to work cheap.

awesomefan
03-04-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm a big Ed Farmer fan. It's way too soon to figure how Chris Singleton will do. Chris was ok considering it was his first time at the job. I listened to most of the first game.

HotelWhiteSox
03-04-2006, 02:00 AM
I fell asleep during the post-game recap of the game (that better not be an indication of what'll happen to me during the regular season when listening to a game!) and woke up during "Who You Crappin'?" and heard the same call you did about Singleton mispronouncing players' names, i.e. Mariano Rivero. An intricate part of being a color analyst is the pronunciation of current & former ballplayers' names, so hopefully the mispronunciation thing is nothing more than nerves showing through.

Oh man, the postgame was the worst part! There was like a 4 minute delay after Farmer asked him something and I just turned it off. I won't judge yet since it's Spring Training, but yeah...

DoItForDanPasqua
03-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I just listened to Rooney do his first Cardinals broadcast, on XM. There was lots of dead air and not much repoire between him and Shanahan. But still, Rooney is a great announcer and it was painful to listen to him, knowing that Farmer/Singleton are nowhere near what Rooney/Farmer were. The Score should be ashamed of themselves.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Jack McDowell said while he was interested he would not be able to give the Sox a full 162 game committment due to his family, ditto for Robin Ventura.

Lip

Save McCuddy's
03-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I've only caught a few ST innings on the Score so far, but what I have heard of the Singleton/Farmer team has been pretty good. Singleton's alive and into the games and brings the rah rah home team attitude that I'm sure was order # 1 in landing him the job. I'll miss Rooney's national perspective and level critique of the team, but if Singleton avoids the DJesque trap of remembering his career in greater glory than its reality, he may work out just fine.

CLR01
03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Today sounds much better. They seem to have some rhythm going and it sounds like they fixed the mic problem.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Today sounds much better. They seem to have some rhythm going and it sounds like they fixed the mic problem.

I agree, they are working together well today: they even had a conversation about Farmer's socks.

TornLabrum
03-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I agree, they are working together well today: they even had a conversation about Farmer's socks.

What socks?

DoItForDanPasqua
03-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Rooney and Farmer used to, just about every game, have a conversation about if Farmer was wearing socks that day and the reasons for his decision.

SOecks
03-05-2006, 03:42 PM
They seem to be building some rhythm together, but there's waaaay to much idle chitchat garbage coming fro Singleton that is interrupting the flow of the broadcast. I'd like to hear more analysis by Chris and fewer cute stories and interruptions on Farmer's PBP. It would be great if we could get Singleton to post on the board and take some constructive criticism but I doubt that would ever happen.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I think it's getting worse. It's going to be a long season on the radio.

We have 2 clowns that love the sound of their own voice going on and on.

SoxFan76
03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Singleton's starting to grow on me already, and today was only the 3rd time I heard him. He seems a lot more natural than DJ in the booth. Plus he's got a quick-witted sense of humor. It's more natural, again, unlike DJ. I think him and Farmer are really starting to get a long quite well.

Rooney4Prez56
03-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I miss Rooney!

Singleton was O.K., but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he's new. Farmer was better was an analyst.

TomBradley72
03-06-2006, 11:46 AM
I listened to Singleton/Farmer for the 1st time yesterday...all things considered...I think they sounded very good...a little too much b.s. conversation...but I think that will work it's way out over time....and frankly is part of the risk of Farmio being in the booth. I still miss Rooney...but they exceeded my expectations....and I think the concept of having a former pitcher and hitter in the booth is showing some promise.

PaulDrake
04-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I finally got an opportunity to listen to Singleton. I wish I hadn't. Please pull the plug on this. With DJ I've reached not a comfort level but a toleration level. It's not going to get close to that with Singleton. Man, what were they thinking? I'm sure he's nice and earnest but it's not going to work. He doesn't have the voice, the pace or the delivery.

SOecks
04-13-2006, 01:10 PM
I finally got an opportunity to listen to Singleton. I wish I hadn't. Please pull the plug on this. With DJ I've reached not a comfort level but a toleration level. It's not going to get close to that with Singleton. Man, what were they thinking? I'm sure he's nice and earnest but it's not going to work. He doesn't have the voice, the pace or the delivery.

Not to be a jerk, but I can't find ONE redeeming quality to Singleton's efforts in the booth so far. Plus he seems to be bringing out the worst in Farmer so it's a double kick in the junk.

sullythered
04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
To start the season, I was saying "give Singleton a chance," but as of late I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. He is about the worst I've heard.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I can't stand Singleton...

First, he sounds like he's 4 years old...which is ok, but what really bugs me is...

the slow strobe like calling when he does the play by play....

:slowswing
tadahito...

iguchi is...

up to bat with...

a baseball bat...

Lip Man 1
04-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Singleton and Jackson have no business doing college games let alone major league ones.

Lip

Chisox1500
04-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Singleton sounds worse than DJ did during his rookie year. I can't take the radio team.

NonetheLoaiza
04-13-2006, 07:43 PM
I like Farmer as play by play, and as someone said, the two seem to bring out the worst in eachother. There is alot, and I mean alot of times when I just want them to shut up and call the game. Farmer is always interrupting Singleton, vice versa. They need to just call the games. I'll give Singleton the benefit since it's his first season, and it's early. I just wish they would have brought someone in with experience.

Foulke You
04-13-2006, 08:47 PM
I can't stand Singleton...

First, he sounds like he's 4 years old...which is ok, but what really bugs me is...

the slow strobe like calling when he does the play by play....

:slowswing
tadahito...

iguchi is...

up to bat with...

a baseball bat...
You hit the nail on the head here. This is my biggest complaint about the broadcasts right now. Singleton has no business doing play by play. Farmer should do all of it and Chris should stick to analysis. Singleton sounds like he is laboring out there when he is doing play by play as if he is searching for the right words to describe the action but can't quite find the ears on it. I'm not sure why he is even doing PBP because when they announced Farmer's new contract they said he would be doing all of the PBP for '06.

Singleton does bring some positives to the table, he offers up some interesting analysis on hitting and the habits of MLB hitters. I enjoyed learning about why hitters don't stand completely in the on deck circle and also about preferences of batting cages throughout the league, etc. However, this is all he brings to the broadcast right now because he is too green. It is very evident that Singleton has had no prior broadcasting experience. He doesn't really have a good "radio" voice and stumbles over his words frequently. For example, he has repeatedly botched up the Minnesota Twins name (accidentally called them "The Tins" several times), Tadahito Iguchi's name, and he referred to Nate Robertson as "Nate Robinson", three times yesterday. I'm sure he'll improve as DJ did but his hiring just seems to be a move done on the cheap because they didn't want to shell out the dough for a professional like Steve Lyons or retaining the well loved John Rooney.

Norberto7
04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
I haven't listened to a whole bunch of Singleton and Farmer, but I haven't found them appalling together. Though, I listened to them yesterday and today on my lunch break in my car, and both times Farmer was ranting about the sunglasses on the hat....:rolleyes:

rainbow6
04-13-2006, 10:53 PM
It's an embarrassment that a major city has this guy broadcasting games. Today he pointed out that, due to the onslaught of runs, that the game would not end until the last out is made.

Huh?

With the game on at work, and Singleton doing PBP, we often huddle around the radio for several seconds trying to figure out what the hell is going on when the ball is put in play...

Where the hell is that Dave Otto dude? Even he would be better...

I imagine even the anti-Mike North crowd would concede that even he would be an improvement...

He's is actually making Ed Farmer sound as good as John Rooney...maybe that was the point?

Luke.

chisox06
04-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Singleton seems to do a decent job on the color analysis, when he actually does it. His play by play needs A LOT of work. As a broadcasting student currently studying sports radio pbp, I use Singleton as an example on how not to do it unfortunately.

I think if Farmer is strictly the Play by Play guy and Chris gets off the non game chit chat (and it doesn't take a lot to get Farmer goin) they could be a decent pair in the booth.

TornLabrum
04-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Singleton seems to do a decent job on the color analysis, when he actually does it. His play by play needs A LOT of work. As a broadcasting student currently studying sports radio pbp, I use Singleton as an example on how not to do it unfortunately.

I think if Farmer is strictly the Play by Play guy and Chris gets off the non game chit chat (and it doesn't take a lot to get Farmer goin) they could be a decent pair in the booth.

So you're saying that right now you're watching a pig sprouting wings?

Foulke You
04-14-2006, 01:51 AM
I imagine even the anti-Mike North crowd would concede that even he would be an improvement....
Singleton ain't THAT bad.:o:

IowaSox1971
04-14-2006, 03:21 AM
The White Sox have had some bad announcers in their history: J.C. Martin, Early Wynn, Jack Drees, Mary Shane and Frank Messer immediately come to mind. From what I have heard, Singleton is far from being the worst announcer in team history.

What people forget is that even professional announcers have a period of adjustment when they join a new team. I remember Gary Thorne, who's now with ESPN, being rather boring in the late 1980s as a Sox announcer. It's tough to come right in and do everything smoothly in a new situation. I enjoyed Jimmy Piersall on the air, but during his first season or two he sometimes struggled to find the right word to describe a play that had just happened.

Give Singleton some time. It's ridiculous to read about every little mistake he might make, because Rooney was far from perfect, too. And people should stop ripping the Sox for Rooney's departure. If Rooney had really wanted to stay, something probably could have been worked out. It seems that he simply wanted to broadcast Cardinals games instead of White Sox games. It's not Singleton's fault that Rooney basically chose to leave.

MrRoboto83
04-14-2006, 06:56 AM
It would help if Farmer would stop making fun Chris all the time.

drewcifer
04-14-2006, 08:10 AM
It would help if Farmer would stop making fun Chris all the time.

Why?

Ed's bawl bustin' attitude keeps things entertaining. I also really dig how he ridicules opposing team's players ("he keeps walking around the mound like he lost his keys", or "his stretch looks like the hokey-pokey").....

If I had to watch 9 innings with Singleton day in and day out, I'd probably break his nuts to. I mean, the man so stupid, he has to ask Ed on the air to "hook him up" for all the free fan appreciation give-away crap.... Joke.

hempsox
04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
I was listening yesterday during my lunch. They just seemed so strained when trying to have a conversation about how the dirt between the mound and the plate. That and all of a sudden they remembered that there was a game going on and they gave the current count.

On a side note Farmer is killing me. Pods makes a diving catch and Farmers call only reminded me of the call by the color guy Monty on the movie Major League after Bob Uecker passes out

:farmer

Farmers line in a completely dull voice "Hit to the outfield...Scott loses his hat...he dives...out" Wow...I mean I really got worked up by that call.

Is it too late to get Wills?

Lip Man 1
04-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Iowa:

The 'issue' is that this is the major leagues and this is a major market. You learn your trade in places like Monroe, Louisiana...Pocatello, Idaho or Salem, Oregon.

You don't just suddenly show up in a top ten market to 'learn' how to do the job. I don't care if your are in TV, radio, do play by play or color.

Lip

TornLabrum
04-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Iowa:

The 'issue' is that this is the major leagues and this is a major market. You learn your trade in places like Monroe, Louisiana...Pocatello, Idaho or Salem, Oregon.

You don't just suddenly show up in a top ten market to 'learn' how to do the job. I don't care if your are in TV, radio, do play by play or color.

Lip

Correction: You do if your broadcasts are owned by CBS Radio.

jdm2662
04-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I listened to them during my lunch yesterday, and my god, are they awful. As much as I can't stand Hawk, him and Jackson are 10 times better than them, but that's not saying much. It's embarassing that the World Series Champs goes from one of the best radio broadcasts, to on the level of school of Ron Santo... Then again, I expect nothing less from the Score.

CLR01
04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Iowa:

Lip

Where did Hawk learn to do his job? Dj? Farmer? Tom Paciorek?

MrRoboto83
04-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Why?

Ed's bawl bustin' attitude keeps things entertaining. I also really dig how he ridicules opposing team's players ("he keeps walking around the mound like he lost his keys", or "his stretch looks like the hokey-pokey").....

If I had to watch 9 innings with Singleton day in and day out, I'd probably break his nuts to. I mean, the man so stupid, he has to ask Ed on the air to "hook him up" for all the free fan appreciation give-away crap.... Joke.

Other than the White Sox game, nothing is entertaining about the broadcasting of Ed Farmer and Chris Singleton.

TomBradley72
04-14-2006, 11:17 AM
If Singleton were paired with a veteran play-by-play guy....he might have a chance over time. But paired with Farmio....who comes across like doesn't want Chris to be successful....it's pretty ugly.

IowaSox1971
04-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Iowa:

Lip

Most of our former players turned broadcasters lacked previous broadcasting experience.

32nd&Wallace
04-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Hawk had plenty of televison experience before joining the Sox in 1982. He hosted a variety show in Boston and did color commentary for the Red Sox for a while.

D.J. was pretty bad when he started out. Farmer had some experience filling in for Rooney on Sunday afternoons and was not that bad. Paciorek was pretty good when he first started out.

WWE Champion
04-15-2006, 09:48 AM
I think they'll be fine, but you're going to have to give them until about the middle of the season to get there. Ed Farmer is a good play-by-play guy already, and the only reason plays are getting missed is when he asks Singleton a question and Singleton babbles on and on without throwing in the call of the game between his ramblings. I think Farmer is funny; the only thing he needs to change is that he definitely comes off as having a condescending attitude toward Chris right now. If it were done in a purposely funny way, then it would be fine, but it's not done that way.

miker
04-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I am giving Farmer and Singleton time to learn how to work together to do a game. At times I hear some entertaining moments and at other times I want to yell at the radio.

I enjoy the pitcher vs. position player dynamic, but sometimes it seems like they're both leaning on the same crutch.

Like all the other changes, I'll adjust to this one.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I hear Dave Wills is available in 2007. You know, an actual professionally trained broadcaster. The White Sox are 0 for 4 in that department this season. Mercy!

Lip Man 1
04-15-2006, 12:08 PM
CLR:

Some big differences though in the folks you mentioned. Both Hawk and Paciorek were outgoing players that were vocal and always at ease in front of a camera. They both had 'it' In fact Paciorek made some of the funniest TV commercials ever in MLB history when he played for the Mariners in 1981.

No those two guys didn't 'work their way up the ladder.' They didn't have to because they were able to express themselves easily, knew the game and were comfortable behind the mic.

Ed Farmer's an interesting case. He's a little to 'dry' for me and should NOT be doing play by play. However he does know the game. I can't tell you the number of times he'd make a comment about what a pitcher is throwing, what it's doing (or not doing) and 'predict' something two or three pitches ahead of time.

Regarding Darrin Jackson (and Singleton) I stand by my statement that they shouldn't be even close to a major league broadcasting booth (uh-oh!!!) They don't express themselves easily, they have trouble getting the words out, they seem 'uneasy' behind a microphone.

Those just aren't the traits you look for or need in the broadcasting business. Trust me on that point, I do have some background there.

How they got hired I have no idea. They must have had an amazing audition but folks in the business know an audition can be misleading. At the very least for this type of job you do two or three auditions with that same person, before making a determination if the guy just got 'lucky' doing them or really has 'it.'

To me the answer to this problem is obvious. This guy has a great voice, knows baseball and can express himself well and easily...yet he's wasting away simply doing the pre and post game shows... Bill Melton.

Lip