PDA

View Full Version : Hideo Nomo a White Sox?

gr8mexico
03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
On my drive home from work the Score announced that the Sox are looking to sign Hideo Nomo (The Tornado) to a minor league contract. He seems like a better option then some of the guys trying out for the team now.

Huisj
03-01-2006, 07:34 PM
On my drive home from work the Score announced that the Sox are looking to sign Hideo Nomo (The Tornado) to a minor league contract. He seems like a better option then some of the guys trying out for the team now.

A better option for what? Charlotte's rotation?

samram
03-01-2006, 07:41 PM
A better option for what? Charlotte's rotation?

Batting practice pitcher.

oeo
03-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Nomo
The White Sox are close to signing Japanese pitcher Hideki Nomo to a Triple-A contract. If he does sign with the Sox, Nomo would be in minor-league camp, which begins on March 4.
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

ChiSoxLifer
03-01-2006, 08:31 PM
http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

Hideki Nomo? Is he related to Hideo?

Erik The Red
03-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Hideki Nomo?

:rolleyes:

oeo
03-01-2006, 08:36 PM

I don't know, I'm not even sure if thats his name, it could have been a typo. The closest I found when searching Google was a Japanese wrestler.

Maybe he's a Hideki Matsui, Hideo Nomo combination? More likely, it was just a typo.

Clembasbal
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM

god to I pray that it is not Hideki Irabu

SOXintheBURGH
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Hideki Irabu?

oeo
03-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Hideki Irabu?

I don't know, I think we're just making up name combinations.

I sure hope it isn't Hideo Matsui.

Jjav829
03-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Looks like Tadahito will finally have another friend, because, you know, he struggled so badly after Shingo left. :?:

Maybe the idea behind bringing in Nomo is to help build the confidence of the younger hitters.

HomeFish
03-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Nomo was one of my favorite MLB players back when he was on his game. Good to see the organization give him a chance.

kittle42
03-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Hideo Nomo sucks.

ondafarm
03-01-2006, 09:16 PM
I think some people are underestimating the esteem that Nomo is held in by Japanese players. He was the first Japanese to break into majors in a big way and to commit to stay here. Should the Sox want to recruit other Japanese players in the future, having Nomo in the organization is a significant factor. He could also help quite a few Japanese minor leaguers adjust to playing here.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-01-2006, 09:30 PM
I heard Kenny Williams on the phone in the airport, I heard he was talking to Nolan Koufax about a possible minor league deal as well.

Brian26
03-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I would rather see the Sox go after Wilson Alvarez than offer a contract to Nomo.

Banix12
03-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I would be shocked if he had anything left in the tank. He hasn't looked good for a couple of years now.

Banix12
03-01-2006, 09:45 PM
I would rather see the Sox go after Wilson Alvarez than offer a contract to Nomo.

He's officially retired I believe

Brian26
03-01-2006, 09:48 PM
He's officially retired I believe

And there you have my opinion of the Nomo move. :D:

Heffalump
03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Per Yahoo news, the Sox are looking at signing him to a minor league contract. While he most likely has nothing left, I guess it can't hurt to take a look.........

White Sox officials are talking to the agent for RHP Hideo Nomo (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5375/) about a minor league contract. Nomo started 19 games for Tampa Bay last season, going 5-8 with a 7.24 ERA. He broke in with the Dodgers in 1995. He has a 123-109 career record. ...
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=260301104&prov=ap

BeviBall!
03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Nomo is Japanese for Ken Hill. Stay away... far away.

gr8mexico
03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I think HIDEO NOMO might be alot better as a relief pitcher and not as a starter. He cant go out there and try to pitch a couple of innings. Give him a chance as a reliever not as a starter and who cares if the Sox sign him it's not are money.

buehrle4cy05
03-01-2006, 10:40 PM
I don't want Hideo Nomo. He's about 5 years past his prime.

I don't want a "Fat toad" on my team, either.:rolleyes:

IlliniSox4Life
03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Can't hurt to at least give him a shot. At the very least it will be somewhat of a draw for our minor league clubs and might sell a few extra tickets down on the farm. However, I have never been a fan of his since I happened to be watching him pitch several years ago against the Cubs and he gave up 8 or 9 runs in the first inning.

SOecks
03-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Why not go after him? He's cheap and no risk to the Sox. Maybe they have seen something and feel they can turn him into a reliever later on in the year. I'll never underestimate our scouts and the magic of Coop.

lostletters
03-02-2006, 12:34 AM
He is cheap cheap cheap. Plus I think he would be a good guy to work in the organization in the long run with regards to future Japanese Players. While Nomo is well past his prime, he also has played for a poor ballclub. I would not completely dismiss him, he does make a good insurance policy in case something goes wrong with our stud pitchers.

rowand33
03-02-2006, 12:43 AM
minor league deal doesn't hurt anybody, and maybe we'll get lucky.

soxfan13
03-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Hideo NOOOOOOOOOOOOmo

Madvora
03-02-2006, 11:05 AM
From today's Tribune...
Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060301soxbits,1,2364199.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

The Sox are negotiating with the agent for pitcher Hideo Nomo on a Triple-A contract. Tampa Bay released Nomo, 37, last season, but he has a 123-109 lifetime record and was the 1995 National League rookie of the year with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

skottyj242
03-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Why not? You can never have too much pitching. Why would he sign a triple A contract though? There always seems to be someone that can use another arm somewhere in the majors.

Clembasbal
03-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Hideki Irabu?

You serious? You don't remember this guy? The Yankees response to Nomo years ago?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/I/hideki-irabu.shtml

palehozenychicty
03-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Why not? You can never have too much pitching. Why would he sign a triple A contract though? There always seems to be someone that can use another arm somewhere in the majors.

Cause he's really not that good anymore?

daveeym
03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
When we last journeyed into the the dark and twisted underbelly of the cell we found the horrific and disturbing scene of Coop and Herm on the precipice of insanity, covered in grease stains, reeking of stale beer and BO. As spring training began none of the mediots seemed to notice their absence due to the flame war brewing between Master Williams and Frank Thomas. With a rough opening outing by the staff in their first spring training game the fans are finally starting to wonder where Coop and Herm are.....

When you last left the dank cavelike suite where Coop and Herm were last seen you left with a bone chilling shiver running for you that took a good week to leave your system. As you once again creep down the corridors of the Cell it begins to return. Remembering the two partly deranged lunatics in their tighty whites, old man balls dangling in the wind and covered in wing sauce raises bile to the back of your throat. Your legs begin to go numb as you near the steel door that leads to lair of the beasts and you find walking difficult.

When you reach the door you notice the "huros" cart is now completely destroyed and piled atop of it are six or seven hot dog vendor carrying cases. The foulest odor you've ever smell is coming from the door which is thrown wide open and hanging by a hinge. You close your eyes due to the odor and the images you remember from your last visit as you begin to peer around the side of the door. The first room is nothing like you remember it and even more disturbing then before. The tables and shelves full of video tapes and movie reels have been destroyed. Splintered and twisted beyond recognition. There are four or five bonfires burning in garbage cans throughout the rooms. The odor of burning plastic fills the room along with a dark noxious cloud and you feel like you're going to retch.

You gather up your courage and creep over to the door leading to the inner sanctum of Coop and Herm. The door is now on the ground and looks like a tank tried to run through it. The sides of the door jamb are crumbling and about a foot wider than normal. From inside the room you see the same flickering light and here the same clickety click as before. There seems to be additional bonfires burning inside as well. You've come this far and despite the horrors cannot turn away and peer into the second room.

You're immediately transfixed by what you see before you. You see the same projector running in the back of the room, however, gone from the room are the buckets of beer, couch and table full of fast food wrappings. At least as far as you can tell, because what sits before you is too much for your mind to comprehend. Rat bones litter the edges of the room, 3 or 4 empty kegs now spread about, apparently ripped apart by Satan himself. On the walls are scribbled numerous phrases that you just now can begin to make out as your eyes come into focus.

"Grinder rule 666: All work and no beer make Herm and Coop Crazee."

"Grinder rule 3.14159265: Master Williams is an *******"

"Grinder rule 1: Burrrrrrrrrp"

You notice a gurgling sound coming from a two large mounds of garbage in the center of the room. The mounds begin to undulate like a wave through the upper deck. Popping noises and fluids start spurting in the air. You open your mouth to scream as the situation begins to dawn upon you, but silence is all that comes from your mouth.

You suddenly realize that the two mounds of garbage aren't garbage but actually Herm and Coop!!!! What appears to be Herm looks like Jabba the Hutt on a bender. Coop looks like Chet from "Weird Science" after he's been turned into a piece of ****.

The groanings and undulations in Jabba and Chet suddeny become ferocious and you seem to sense they are excited by what's showing on the screen. You finally notice that they're still reviewing pitchers and that this time it's Hideo Nomo. The maniacal laughter begins again, Herm sounding exactly like Jabba in, Return of the Jedi. Coop can be heard chanting, "Master Williams *******, Master Williams *******."

Fear has completely taken control of you and you turn to flee the room, not worrying about keeping quiet this time, kicking debris about you as you scramble back from the door. As you're leaving you can hear Jabba Herm saying, "This one is for you Master Williams, FOR KEEPING US DOWN HERE ALL WINTER."

You reach the outer door, barely able to see due to the fumes and fear. You sprint out into the corridor and, BAM, run into something built like David Wells. You crack your skull on the corridor floor and as you drift off into unconsciousness can see two cleated feet in front of you.....

White Sox Randy
03-02-2006, 11:48 AM
He had 3 excellent starts last year:

7+ innings against OAKLAND - 1 RUN ALLOWED

and against Milwaukee and Toronto - 2 runs allowed.

He could be some insurance in case of 2 injured starters - you never know. Atleast he was great at one time.

Banix12
03-02-2006, 11:50 AM
He is cheap cheap cheap. Plus I think he would be a good guy to work in the organization in the long run with regards to future Japanese Players. While Nomo is well past his prime, he also has played for a poor ballclub. I would not completely dismiss him, he does make a good insurance policy in case something goes wrong with our stud pitchers.

I don't know who would be a better emergency guy, him or Tim Redding. Though since the sox have six starting pitchers I hope it never comes to using either of them. All I know about Nomo is he used to be a strikeout pitcher and now he has completely lost his ability to strike people out at the rate he used to. His fastball has slowed down enough that it seems like hitters can indentify the difference between it and his forkball and sit on pitches.

mccoydp
03-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Nomo looked horrendous the last time I saw him...I believe it was the Sox vs. the Rays. He looked like he was laboring through every pitch.
I would pass on him, IMO...

Dadawg_77
03-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Stash him in AAA just in case worst case happens.

1951Campbell
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Cause he's really not that good anymore?

Precisely.

White Sox Randy
03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
If we can "take a chance" on every lefty reliever that can find Tuscon, Arizona on a map, I think we can take a chance on a guy with 123 big league wins in addition to his stellar Japanese career.

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
You serious? You don't remember this guy? The Yankees response to Nomo years ago?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/I/hideki-irabu.shtml

I think I was the first to mention his name in the thread..... :?:

Edit: Ah, yes.. we most have posted at the exact same moment, I love when that happens.

Clembasbal
03-02-2006, 01:38 PM
I think I was the first to mention his name in the thread..... :?:

Edit: Ah, yes.. we most have posted at the exact same moment, I love when that happens.

I thought you were responding to my post asking who Irabu was? And I think that is what the guy after you thought as well, which is why I responded with a link.

I should be asking the other guy the question of, "You don't know who Hideki Irabu is?" Not you, sorry.

pythons007
03-02-2006, 02:40 PM
You never know what could happen. Look what happened when we took on Loiaza and Contreras! Loiaza never won more games than 11 in a year and Contreras seemed to be a head case. I think if something good could come out of this great...if not, who cares he would be in the minors!! GIVE HIM A SHOT.

gr8mexico
03-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Look what I found on the greatest website for the hottest MLB rumors The White Sox look to bolster their weak starting rotation with the signing of Hideo Nomo (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2006/03/game_1_rockies_.html), three-time sixteen game winner. mlbtraderumors.com

soxfan26
03-02-2006, 07:56 PM
I found the same thing on Yahoo (http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=rotowire-ideoomoetshotwithhit&prov=rotowire&type=lgns&league=mlb).

Nomo has agreed to terms on a minor league contract with the White Sox, JapanBall.com reports.

ChiSoxLifer
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Look what I found on the greatest website for the hottest MLB rumors The White Sox look to bolster their weak starting rotation with the signing of Hideo Nomo (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2006/03/game_1_rockies_.html), three-time sixteen game winner. mlbtraderumors.com

The mod for the website did say it was a joke in the comments section. Take it for what it's worth. Nothing major, maybe he'll be a decent reliever if he can get some arm strength back.

SoxxoS
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
If I remember right, he had trouble topping 84 mph last year...I realize it's not all about the speed of the pitch, but he needs something with velocity to set up that forkball.

soxinem1
03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
If I remember right, he had trouble topping 84 mph last year...I realize it's not all about the speed of the pitch, but he needs something with velocity to set up that forkball.

I agree, why are they even wasting the time? All this does is take innings from someone who is in the teams long term plans. He doesn't speak English so who will he mentor, especially when he's 1-8 with a 7.55 ERA by June (if he lasts)?

To say he's topping out at 84 is generous. Since he was hurt a couple years ago, he hasn't even come close to what he was. As the year went on last season, he got weaker.

if the D-Rays cut any pitcher, there HAS to be a reason.

Like Jim Parque, stick a fork in Nomo, he's done....

KRS1
03-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I agree, why are they even wasting the time? All this does is take innings from someone who is in the teams long term plans. He doesn't speak English so who will he mentor, especially when he's 1-8 with a 7.55 ERA by June (if he lasts)?

To say he's topping out at 84 is generous. Since he was hurt a couple years ago, he hasn't even come close to what he was. As the year went on last season, he got weaker.

if the D-Rays cut any pitcher, there HAS to be a reason.

Like Jim Parque, stick a fork in Nomo, he's done....

Actually, this kffl report says otherwise.

Yankees | Nomo Struggles
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:12:40 -0700
ESPN.com reports New York Yankees (http://www.kffl.com/team/60/mlb) SP Hideo Nomo (http://www.kffl.com/player/4867/mlb) struggled in his first start for Triple-A Columbus. He allowed three hits, four walks and struck out four in three innings. His fastball topped out at 88 mph.

I also recall him being around 86-87 when we played against him last year. He definitely isn't even a shadow of his former self, but he would be a nice AAA roster filler, and he had a good year against lefties despite losing his stuff.

soxinem1
03-02-2006, 11:35 PM

I also recall him being around 86-87 when we played against him last year. He definitely isn't even a shadow of his former self, but he would be a nice AAA roster filler, and he had a good year against lefties despite losing his stuff.

I was speaking of Major League games. And in his last couple starts, he could barely hit the 80's consistently. And straight as an arrow. Plus, with a 7.70+ ERA the last two years, why?

Don't we have a guy who needs the innings? This isn't the late 80's when we signed retreads to form the AAA roster.

KRS1
03-02-2006, 11:44 PM
I was speaking of Major League games. And in his last couple starts, he could barely hit the 80's consistently. And straight as an arrow. Plus, with a 7.70+ ERA the last two years, why?

Don't we have a guy who needs the innings? This isn't the late 80's when we signed retreads to form the AAA roster.

Well his last major league game last year was July 15, a couple weeks after we faced him, so if his velocity dropped that far it would be surprising. Also, he was hitting 88 in August according to this report, which means his velocity didnt drop as the season went on. What's your point about MLB games, minor or major league's he was hitting the high 80's late in the season.

Banix12
03-03-2006, 12:00 AM

Yankees | Nomo Struggles
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:12:40 -0700
ESPN.com reports New York Yankees (http://www.kffl.com/team/60/mlb) SP Hideo Nomo (http://www.kffl.com/player/4867/mlb) struggled in his first start for Triple-A Columbus. He allowed three hits, four walks and struck out four in three innings. His fastball topped out at 88 mph.

For what Nomo was it doesn't matter if he's topping 88 or 84 or 80. Nomo was successful because he could buzz a hitter with a 93-95 MPH fastball and then get them swinging over a forkball in the dirt. Much the way Contreras works. If he can't buzz them a good, strong fastball he doesn't have anything to setup the forkball and he really doesn't have another "out" pitch to get hitters out. Maybe he's gone and learned a new pitch over the winter or gained back a little strength but if he hasn't it probably is a waste of time considering him.

Topping out at 88 means that the average is probably lower. I remember him dipping into the low 80s with his fastball last year as well He probably averages in the 84-86 range. It is what it is. Some pitchers can be effective at that speed like Jaime Moyer but they have to have something in their arsenal that keeps the hitters offbalance.

KRS1
03-03-2006, 01:20 AM
For what Nomo was it doesn't matter if he's topping 88 or 84 or 80. Nomo was successful because he could buzz a hitter with a 93-95 MPH fastball and then get them swinging over a forkball in the dirt. Much the way Contreras works. If he can't buzz them a good, strong fastball he doesn't have anything to setup the forkball and he really doesn't have another "out" pitch to get hitters out. Maybe he's gone and learned a new pitch over the winter or gained back a little strength but if he hasn't it probably is a waste of time considering him.

Topping out at 88 means that the average is probably lower. I remember him dipping into the low 80s with his fastball last year as well He probably averages in the 84-86 range. It is what it is. Some pitchers can be effective at that speed like Jaime Moyer but they have to have something in their arsenal that keeps the hitters offbalance.

I wasn't saying this is a great signing, or that he will make a great addition to our org. All I wanted to get across is that he was throwing harder than was described( "had trouble topping out at 84"), and that's all. Like I said he's not even a shadow of his former self, and would be a AAA filler. Other than that I can't argue with anything you said.

soxinem1
03-03-2006, 01:34 AM
I wasn't saying this is a great signing, or that he will make a great addition to our org. All I wanted to get across is that he was throwing harder than was described( "had trouble topping out at 84"), and that's all. Like I said he's not even a shadow of his former self, and would be a AAA filler. Other than that I can't argue with anything you said.

Okay, let's put it this way. Who cares what his speed is, he is not getting any one out, and he will rob innings from developing pitchers. So my more prominent point, again, is why are we wasting the time? Who cares if he threw 88 at Columbus? He is not effective anymore, and definitely not much of an insurance policy, either. I guess we should go sign Juan Acevedo and Bobby Seay to fill our AAA staff also to lend experience, if that's the case.

Also, if Nomo is in our rotation at anytime this year, throwing his straight 80, 84, or 88 MPH fastball, that means the season is headed down the tubes.

Nuff said...

KRS1
03-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Okay, let's put it this way. Who cares what his speed is, he is not getting any one out, and he will rob innings from developing pitchers. So my more prominent point, again, is why are we wasting the time?

Also, if Nomo is in our rotation at anytime this year, throwing his straight 80, 84, or 88 MPH fastball, that means the season is headed down the tubes.

Nuff said...
He wouldn't be "robbing" any innings I can guarantee you that. He would be there if we needed a 6th starter occasionally to keep the young guys rested, as well as help in the pen. Not all the good young pitchers in our system are ready for AAA, so you occasionally sign these type of guys to fill out rosters.

Also, let me add KW would not sign him if we didn't need a guy like that, so there has to be reason IF he even signs him.

Banix12
03-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Okay, let's put it this way. Who cares what his speed is, he is not getting any one out, and he will rob innings from developing pitchers. So my more prominent point, again, is why are we wasting the time?

Nuff said...

Well while I don't think he has anything left I really don't see the harm in bringing him in to see if he may have fixed a problem over the offseason. I don't think he's really stealing many innings away from young stud pitchers. The sox don't really have a lot of pitching competition going on in spring training other than the lefty setup role. They aren't going to tax the starters much early on anyway during the spring. Anyway, most of the sox top starting pitching prospects are probably going to start the season in levels lower than AAA.

And also, just because he is signed to a minor league deal doesn't mean he is going to be sticking around. He could easily get released or possibly quit to head back to japan if he doesn't make a roster. There were rumors he was thinking of going back there because of the mild interest major league clubs had in signing him.

I would agree though that if he is in the Major league rotation the sox are in deep trouble since that means two, possibly three starters have gone down with an injury.

gr8mexico
03-04-2006, 07:55 AM
The White Sox agreed to terms on a Triple-A contract with pitcher Hideo Nomo, pending the passing of a physical examination this weekend.
Nomo has had an ERA over 7.00 each of the past two seasons. He could get some spot starts if the White Sox's rotation has some injuries, but isn't worth draft consideration. Mar. 4 - 7:38 am et
Rotoworld.com

Tragg
03-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Maybe he and Tim Redding can will compete for batting practice pitcher.