PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Torborg Takes Wimpy's Spot on FSN-South's Braves Telecasts

kcsportscaster
03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Link:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060228&content_id=1328781&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

I'll miss listening to Wimpy every Wednesday night, but Jeff Torborg, who I am also a fan of due to his ties to the Sox as manager in the late '80s and early '90s, is a much better listen. Plus, the Sox connection is still in place on FSN-South's Braves telecasts with Torborg being paired with PxP announcer Bob Rathbun.

Baby Fisk
03-01-2006, 04:21 PM
It says Wimpy possibly joining the Gnats broadcast team. Maybe he'll get more regular work over there?

Steelrod
03-02-2006, 07:30 AM
It says Wimpy possibly joining the Gnats broadcast team. Maybe he'll get more regular work over there?
Who?

HotelWhiteSox
03-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Who?

Nationals

downstairs
03-02-2006, 08:43 AM
I'll miss listening to Wimpy every Wednesday night,

Why only every Wednesday?

ewokpelts
03-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Do people really refer to them as the "gnats" in print? i know some call them the "Nats"....
Gene

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Do people really refer to them as the "gnats" in print? i know some call them the "Nats"....
Gene

I started calling them the Gnats when I was living in Maryland and their "die hard" fans were annoying the piss out of me. Like a.. ermm.. gnat.

kcsportscaster
03-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Why only every Wednesday?

Because FSN-South only has had broadcast rights to 25 Braves games, and for many years, dating back to when the network was Turner property and was known as "SportSouth," they would televise Braves games on Wednesday nights due to the old clause in ESPN's contract with MLB calling for national exclusivity on Wednesday nights, i.e., neither TBS nor WGN were allowed to televise any games after 6 p.m. Central Time on Wednesdays. To make it fair to the SuperStations, only regional cable networks and NOT other over-the-air stations were allowed to televise on Wednesday nights opposite the four letter network.

However, with Fox's recent acquisition of Turner South and its likely rebranding of that network as "FSN-South 2," Fox now has broadcast rights to ALL Braves games that are not televised by TBS.

Baby Fisk
03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Gene
It's an amusing pejorative term, like Red Cubs, Skankees, Black Jays, Bitch Sox, etc.

ewokpelts
03-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Because FSN-South only has had broadcast rights to 25 Braves games, and for many years, dating back to when the network was Turner property and was known as "SportSouth," they would televise Braves games on Wednesday nights due to the old clause in ESPN's contract with MLB calling for national exclusivity on Wednesday nights, i.e., neither TBS nor WGN were allowed to televise any games after 6 p.m. Central Time on Wednesdays. To make it fair to the SuperStations, only regional cable networks and NOT other over-the-air stations were allowed to televise on Wednesday nights opposite the four letter network.

However, with Fox's recent acquisition of Turner South and its likely rebranding of that network as "FSN-South 2," Fox now has broadcast rights to ALL Braves games that are not televised by TBS.did fox sports buy the station, or did FOX buy the station?
From what I've read about turner south(on thier website), it looks like sports is only part of the action.....i see this turning into FOX South.
Gene

soxinem1
03-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Link:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060228&content_id=1328781&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

I'll miss listening to Wimpy every Wednesday night, but Jeff Torborg, who I am also a fan of due to his ties to the Sox as manager in the late '80s and early '90s, is a much better listen. Plus, the Sox connection is still in place on FSN-South's Braves telecasts with Torborg being paired with PxP announcer Bob Rathbun.

Though it may have been a bit uncomfortable for him, they should have picked JT instead of Singleton. He would have made Farmer's PBP much more tolerable.