PDA

View Full Version : "Rose will never be in HOF": Mike Schmidt

Baby Fisk
03-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Mike Schmidt has a new book being published this month. In it, he concludes that Pete Rose's lack of remorse sunk his chances of being reinstated to baseball, and that Rose will never be in the HOF. linky (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060301/SPT0401/603010374/1072/SPT04)

Palehose Pete
03-01-2006, 11:13 AM
On principle, I have to agree that Rose will never be in the HoF. If he does get in, then I think baseball should re-think the status of other players who were banned for gambling on even less evidence than was discovered in Rose's case.

SOXintheBURGH
03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
First of all, that's Michael Jack Schmidt, to you. :cool:

:tool
"As long as I'm in charge, you never know what kind of crazy thing I'll do with the game!"

I got a feeling that Buddy will let in Rose and Jackson on his last day in office or something ludicrous like that.

jackbrohamer
03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I've always disliked Rose, but it is ironic that for years the story line was that if Rose would just come clean and admit to gambling & apologize, everyone could move on and he'd be cleared for the HOF. Then when he admitted it, he seems to have sealed his fate to never get in.

EastCoastSoxFan
03-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I've always disliked Rose, but it is ironic that for years the story line was that if Rose would just come clean and admit to gambling & apologize, everyone could move on and he'd be cleared for the HOF. Then when he admitted it, he seems to have sealed his fate to never get in.
Someone forgot to tell Rose that confessing to being a liar doesn't necessarily improve one's credibility.
If the confession had been done in an (unpaid) press conference rather than a multi-million-dollar-making book and if he had either confessed right away or waited until his official HOF eligibility had expired, then his confession would have some merit.
However, his alleged confession was handled in such a blatantly self-serving way that it is pretty much meaningless -- hey, for all we know he confessed to something he didn't do in the face of evidence to the contrary just to try to get admitted to the HOF...

downstairs
03-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Pete Rose does not want to be in the Hall of Fame and will do whatever it takes to not be.

He gets so much publicity for the quandry that he's created, he's been able to make millions off of it.

If Pete Rose were put into the HOF, there would be a big stir for a few days, then he'd be forgotten about other than a SportsCentry bio every now and then.

Look... we're still talking about the moron now. I don't see any threads on Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, etc.

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Pete Rose does not want to be in the Hall of Fame and will do whatever it takes to not be.

He gets so much publicity for the quandry that he's created, he's been able to make millions off of it.

If Pete Rose were put into the HOF, there would be a big stir for a few days, then he'd be forgotten about other than a SportsCentry bio every now and then.

Look... we're still talking about the moron now. I don't see any threads on Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, etc.

Don't forget the movie HU$TLE.. my personal favorite of the string of classic ESPN original movies.

ode to veeck
03-02-2006, 04:37 PM

I don't buy that; he wants to be in, just not in the terms baseball might consider it

SouthSide_HitMen
03-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I am in the Daver camp in this point and give little worry to what the Hall does or does not do.

Pete Rose had a better career than most of the inductees. Whether he is inducted or not has no bearing on this fact. This is true for Minnie Minoso being out and Effa Manley being in for owning a team with her husband for several seasons.

Also, I still want to know why Bud Selig wasn't punished, banned for life for his loans taken from Carl Pohlad which caused a quid pro quo offer to contract the Twins and line Carl's billionaire pockets with $200 million more.

I also feel Bud's little, if any, remorse for cancelling the 1994 World Series and for his role in covering up the steroid scandal during "the summer that rescued baseball (from Bud's 1994) 1998" should keep him out of the Hall, let alone his loans from Pohlad which are against the bylaws of MLB. The damage to baseball caused by Bud Selig far exceeds any damage Pete Rose did betting on baseball games / the Reds. Yet I fully expect Bud Selig to be inducted into the hall of fame in the early part of next decade, with a warm induction speech by the new commissioner, Andy MacFail (I expect the Midwest combine to get him in to replace Bud in 2009 when his term expires).

MarySwiss
03-02-2006, 05:54 PM
I fully expect Bud Selig to be inducted into the hall of fame in the early part of next decade, with a warm induction speech by the new commissioner, Andy MacFail (I expect the Midwest combine to get him in to replace Bud in 2009 when his term expires).

:o:

ondafarm
03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Look, there is no excuse for what Rose did. Anybody who has ever played an inning of professional baseball knows that dealing with professional gambling in any fashion whatsoever is wrong. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Pete Rose was a great player, but he did something inexcusable for far longer than is tolerable. Perhaps if he'd placed one bet that would be tolerable. But this was for several years.

I dislike Bud Selig and disagree with him regularly, but on this issue, I totally agree with Selig and think Rose should suffer a permanent ban.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-02-2006, 06:24 PM
:o:

I've heard it (MacPhail) from two different sources. He has been been involved in many league committees and does a lot of work for MLB in general and I hear they are grooming him to take over though they will have to get the votes outside of the midwest cabal (Selig / Reinsdorf et al) to get him in. Maybe Lip, Grobber or someone else in the media will dare to mention anything they may have heard privately about this.

I don't think it will hurt the White Sox in anyway as the group that wants to promote him look out for the small / mid market teams (against those big bad East / West Coast monsters) and this alliance has gotten most if not all of what Reinsdorf / Bud have wanted over the past decade. THe Cubs / Sox feud is for public consumption but in reality the Tribune and White Sox work together in most baseball related issues. Heck, they share the same TV brodcasting apparatus (WGN, Comcast Sports Net).

If the face is for Bud in the Hall in the early 2010s, I think they will want him in while he is still alive (will be around 80 for his induction). Landis, Chandler and Frick are in the Hall. Bowie Kuhn is the only commissioner who served for over 5 years not in the Hall of Fame (and I don't know what is keeping him out). MLB loves $ above all else and Bud has made more of it (TV, Internet, Stadium racket, tickets, etc.) than all other commissioners combined (even accounting for inflation).

The MacPhails have two in the Hall - Andy's grandfather Larry (GM various teams) and father Lee (GM, AL President). Andy need to make it to commissioner to make it a trifecta. I think Joe Kelly is in the Winners Circle blowing the call to post for the next race and MacPhail is on the top horse. He sure isn't doing anything to make the Cubs a winner. :P