PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/1/06

Hangar18
03-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Paul Sullivan again tries his darndest to one-up Mike Kiley as biggest Cub Propandist. He does yet another piece on Juan Pierre and frequently mentions in the article how everyone in Chicago knows who Pierre is already, and how he is on the Brink of becoming a Household name here in Chicago, and frequently talks about attendance and how the big crowds will be there for him. He even pulls a mike murphy and steers the topic towards their recent ticket sale, in which Pierre is quoted as "I guess that says something about the city of Chicago-how they love their baseball and the Cubbies"

Rapoport of the SunTimes does a really good piece chastising the Negro League committee for ignoring Minoso (rightly so), Nice piece today by the ST also on our draft pick Lance Broadway.

Whats different about this Spring Training, is that not at ANY TIME (at least the last 20 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!) have the Chicago White Sox EVER led, ever, in the amount of stories. Amazing. Especially since 1990, the SOX have had four 90 win seasons (by comparison, other team in that same span had ZERO 90 win seasons), yet were trampled in media coverage since then by the other team. Embarrassing.

Tribune:
3 cub stories
3 sox stories

SunTimes:
2 cub stories
5 sox stories

Standings as of Weds March 1st, 2006
Priviledged Cubs .. 26
Underdog SOX ..... 34

chisoxfanatic
03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
We won the World Series!!!

patbooyah
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
We won the World Series!!!

yes, but as ozzie said: "we are no longer the champions. it is a new season." :cool:

TommyJohn
03-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Of course, the Cubs HAVE had one 90 win season since 1990, in 1998.
It was a tiebreaker with the SF Giants that produced the 90th win.
Still, it counts in the MLB standings as 90wins, so I will continue to
recognize it as such. I realize it doesn't count in the "Hangar World
of Fantasy" standings, which is something else altogether.

SOXPHILE
03-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Of course, the Cubs HAVE had one 90 win season since 1990, in 1998.
It was a tiebreaker with the SF Giants that produced the 90th win.
Still, it counts in the MLB standings as 90wins, so I will continue to
recognize it as such. I realize it doesn't count in the "Hangar World
of Fantasy" standings, which is something else altogether.

Yes, but like you said, they had to play 163 games to get that 90th win, not the normal 162. I always laugh when Cub fans point to that game as a "playoff win", and not so politely remind them that, no, that was not a playoff game, but a regular season win.

Hangar18
03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes, but like you said, they had to play 163 games to get that 90th win, not the normal 162. I always laugh when Cub fans point to that game as a "playoff win", and not so politely remind them that, no, that was not a playoff game, but a regular season win.

..........And I always Not So Politely remind them too that in a regular 162 gm season, they only had 89 wins. Doesnt count in my book.

1951Campbell
03-01-2006, 12:27 PM
..........And I always Not So Politely remind them too that in a regular 162 gm season, they only had 89 wins. Doesnt count in my book.

C'mon, man. That's Shoota-esque.

SoLongFrank
03-01-2006, 12:31 PM
If you remove the K-F soap opera stories what's the tally then?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0602260298feb26,1,2027027.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
This was a good story. No K-F. All Anderson. Funny as hell. Really. We might have another Jurassic on our hands.

WSox8404
03-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Ahh the news media watch. I have missed this over the last few months. Great to see it again?

BainesHOF
03-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Perhaps it'd be a good idea to keep a running sub-total of the total stories that appeared in the Trib vs. the Times.

Hangar18
03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Ahh the news media watch. I have missed this over the last few months. Great to see it again

Playing the role of Mike Kiley this year, is Paul Sullivan, who is on a mission to make sure Juan Pierre is a household name by Opening Day.

Hangar18
03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Perhaps it'd be a good idea to keep a running sub-total of the total stories that appeared in the Trib vs. the Times.

Feel free to help out with that stat if you like ...........

BainesHOF
03-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Don't be smart. I was simply making a suggestion which would be easy to implement.

Hangar18
03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Don't be smart. I was simply making a suggestion which would be easy to implement.

I wasnt being smart .....I could use the help with that ....and on weekends too ..........

voodoochile
03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
C'mon, man. That's Shoota-esque.
Thank you. I was just going to type that but you beat me to it.

Of course it counts, Hangar. Thems the rules. It's not our job to say what is an actual win or not, that's MLB's job and in their book it counts. The stats count in the record book too.

Maybe we should put back the * after Maris' record. After all, Babe only got to play in 154 games per season...

1951Campbell
03-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Thank you. I was just going to type that but you beat me to it.

Of course it counts, Hangar. Thems the rules. It's not our job to say what is an actual win or not, that's MLB's job and in their book it counts. The stats count in the record book too.

Maybe we should put back the * after Maris' record. After all, Babe only got to play in 154 games per season...

The 1997 Sox are actually 81-81 in my book. They carried a .497 winning percentage through 161 games. (162) * (.497) = 80.514, thus, rounding up, the Sox actually had 81 wins that year.

Hitmen77
03-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Whats different about this Spring Training, is that not at ANY TIME (at least the last 20 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!) have the Chicago White Sox EVER led, ever, in the amount of stories. Amazing. Especially since 1990, the SOX have had four 90 win seasons (by comparison, other team in that same span had ZERO 90 win seasons), yet ...

I've seen this "Sox 90 win season" question come up a few times over the past few months. Out of curiousity, I went back through the Sox W-L records going back to when the GoGo Sox era began in 1951. Since that time, the Sox have had 12 seasons of 90+ wins. If you went by winning pct., the strike shortened seasons of 1972 and 1994 are 2 additional seasons where the Sox winning pct. would have projected out to over 90 wins over 162 games in those seasons.

By the way, since division play began the Sox had the 2nd best record in the AL in '72 and '90, but failed to make the playoffs (thanks both times to sharing their division with the 100+ wins Oakland A's).

What's the point of all this? I guess it shows to me that the Sox, even before '05, were never at the same level of consistent ineptitude as the Cubs. At least the organization on the south side has been able to overcome its 2nd class status to make a pretty good run quite a few times over the past several decades. I see 2005 as a culmination of this effort - not an out-of-nowhere fluke. Too bad the Chicago media cares more about their love-affair with the Flubs than winning baseball.

IggyD
03-04-2006, 05:48 PM

Oooooooo...snap