PDA

View Full Version : Konerko on B & B

SOXPHILE
02-28-2006, 04:54 PM
PK is on with B & B right now. Good interview. The things this guy is saying, and his general attitude and outlook on things, let me say again, I am glad he's on the Sox.

Mots09
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
He was featured last night on Comcast Chicago w/ an interview w/ Pat Boyle.

Thing I took away from the interview was this years team chemistry will be just as good if not better than last years.

A great quote he had was, "Last year we (Sox) just hung out and played games in between."
---that's a personification of a great team.

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 05:39 PM
PK has come out as a true leader. I remember he used to have foot in mouth disease. It appears he is past that.

veeter
02-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I remember Boers interviewing him back in 1999, when he first came. My first thought was, this guy is on the ball. He was such a different interview from 99% of all athletes. He actually had a thought about a lot of things. Very mature and well spoken.

SOXintheBURGH
02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Well... what did he have to say?

JohnBasedowYoda
02-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Thome was on MJH earlier. Pretty good. They asked him who'd win in a race, him or PK. Thome said, "I'm not gonna say that about my teammate...especially Paulie. He's the man."

Thome rocks

CPditka
02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Thome was on MJH earlier. Pretty good. They asked him who'd win in a race, him or PK. Thome said, "I'm not gonna say that about my teammate...especially Paulie. He's the man."

Thome rocks

Its all starting to come together. Great Job by KW bringing these two guys togehter, they need each other and seem to fit very well indeed.

Trav
02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
PK has come out as a true leader. I remember he used to have foot in mouth disease. It appears he is past that.

Did anyone else read his quote about finally having a great hitter to talk to about what they are thinking in certain situations reffering to Thome? The only reason you are not hearing everyone talk about how much they hate him is because right now Big Frank is unpopular.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Did anyone else read his quote about finally having a great hitter to talk to about what they are thinking in certain situations reffering to Thome? The only reason you are not hearing everyone talk about how much they hate him is because right now Big Frank is unpopular.
I read that quote and didn't really think that Paul was putting his foot in his mouth:
When they weren't taking batting practice off left-handed pitchers Arnie Munoz and Armando Almanza, Konerko and Thome were exchanging notes on hitting. Konerko wants to know how Thome approaches each pitcher for each at-bat. "I never got a chance to ask those questions [before]," Konerko said. "I've never really had a guy that I could look up to on my team that you know I could gain a lot of knowledge hitting-wise. We have a great coaching staff, hitting-wise, with Greg Walker and Harold Baines. There are a lot of guys who have been great hitters and been in big games. But there aren't too many hitters I've been around who have been older and who I've seen eye-to-eye with."
Thomas was a great hitter, the greatest in Sox history, and no one including PK is going to dispute that. But if you think for one minute that Frank is the type of guy who would spend time with younger hitters, talking about certain pitchers and what to look for, or working on swing mechanics, then you're kidding yourself.

After the Sox let him go, a friend of mine expressed the hope that Frank might one day return as their hitting instructor. I laughed and laughed.

Paulie has embarrassed himself in the past, but in this case he's just telling it like it is.

Trav
02-28-2006, 11:47 PM
I read that quote and didn't really think that Paul was putting his foot in his mouth:

Thomas was a great hitter, the greatest in Sox history, and no one including PK is going to dispute that. But if you think for one minute that Frank is the type of guy who would spend time with younger hitters, talking about certain pitchers and what to look for, or working on swing mechanics, then you're kidding yourself.

After the Sox let him go, a friend of mine expressed the hope that Frank might one day return as their hitting instructor. I laughed and laughed.

Paulie has embarrassed himself in the past, but in this case he's just telling it like it is.

I think that this quote is on the same level as the "best SS ever played with" quote. I didn't take offense to that either but their were a lot of people around here who did. I was simply saying that he hasn't changed his style or whatever you want to call it. The only thing that changed was the popularity of the person he "insulted". I use quotes because I am kidding.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-01-2006, 12:04 AM
I think that this quote is on the same level as the "best SS ever played with" quote. I didn't take offense to that either but their were a lot of people around here who did. I was simply saying that he hasn't changed his style or whatever you want to call it. The only thing that changed was the popularity of the person he "insulted". I use quotes because I am kidding.
But the situations aren't the same. With the "best SS" quote, PK was praising a former teammate (Clayton) at the perceived expense of his current teammate (Uribe). In this case, he's praising a current teammate (Thome) at the perceived expense of a former teammate (Thomas). I'd say he's at least learning to get his priorities straightened out.

SoxFan76
03-01-2006, 12:05 AM

I believe Frank worked with Uribe towards the end of "the"* season.

*That is what I am referring to 05 as from now on!

Domeshot17
03-01-2006, 01:01 AM
I took from this that Konerko finally has a big time hitter he can talk about hitting with. Him and Thomas had spats now and then, and I agree with the consensus that they probablly didnt sit around and talk about mechanics. I think this is for a number of reasons.

(1) Look at Franks Swing. The first thing any kid ever learns is dont swing like Thomas or Ken Griffey Jr because they are the only people who will ever make that swing work. Thomas has always had a softball esque swing with his body coming into the ball, as opposed to staying back and being short to the ball, long through it with a complete balance and shift of power. I believe Thomas and Uribe would talk hitting, because Uribe has a similiar swing, and relies alot on his strength and hand speed. Konerko, on the other hand, has a beautiful swing to break down, as does Thome. While they are not mirror images of each other, they will pick up on each others flaws such as dropping an elbow or opening up the hips to soon.

(2) Konerko just inked a long term deal. I think he looks to Thome as a mentor for how to handle pressure and expectations. I think Thome will help this team long run with his experience. Last year only JD really knew how to handle a deep playoff run and a slumping team. Thome, as opposed to Thomas, seems like if he was hurt, he would still be at almost every game. I do not mean to knock Frank, he was my favorite player as a kid, and I grew up with Him and Jordan as the faces of Chicago, But Thome seems like he would be more of a team first kind of guy.

Thome reminds me of maddux and schilling in the sense that hes a player coach. He wants to help everyone get better and is willing to spend the time to let other players pick his brain. I can totally see where a young hitter, like Paulie coming up with the sox, would shy away from talking to frank about the game, especially when he sees him not run out spring training drills, complain about his paycheck and every other season feels disrespected.

Paulie has said dumb things before, and most of that has been his willingness to call it like he sees it. When he made the best SS comments, there was questions about Uribe and his glove and fielding style. When he got caught on camera saying Contreras sometimes does dumb things, you dont talk about your team mates like that, but inside we all agreed that Contreras ws a mental case on the mound at that time.

It just all reminds me of a convo i had with one of my best friends the other day. Hes a cubs fan and was saying how the white sox always have more fire, and always have the chip on their shoulder like they are better than anyone thinks and thats why Buehlre bashes all our rivals, Aj wants the world to hate him and Paulie is not afraid to defend, or call out, his team mates.

I bought a shirt off Ebay the other day, Ill try and get a pic up when it comes, It has pics of Buehlre Ozzie PK AJ and Jenks on the front with the words It Aint Cocky and on the back its them with the trophy and says " If You back it up"

I have kind of used that to explain any kind of trash we talk now. So if Konerko says having thome makes him a better hitter and we are better off with Frank, if we keep winning and Paulie posts MVP numbers, hes right.

FedEx227
03-01-2006, 01:11 AM
The first thing any kid ever learns is dont swing like Thomas or Ken Griffey Jr because they are the only people who will ever make that swing work.

Something I should've definetly listened to, but as a young kid growing up in Chicago Frank Thomas was the man and Ken Griffey was on the rise as well, so me and my friends tried to do their swings, etc... its more then likely why I was an awful batter in my youth. I could play D though! and we all know... Defense wins championships!

SBSoxFan
03-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Something I should've definetly listened to, but as a young kid growing up in Chicago Frank Thomas was the man and Ken Griffey was on the rise as well, so me and my friends tried to do their swings, etc... its more then likely why I was an awful batter in my youth. I could play D though! and we all know... Defense wins championships!
Or maybe it was because you were all glove, no stick, whether you tried to swing like Frank Thomas or Marlo Thomas. :tongue:

FedEx227
03-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Actually, that is true... but its a nice excuse to blame it on Frank Thomas... or crabpeople.

http://crabpeople.bravehost.com/myPictures/124a.gif

SoxFan76
03-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I used to try to emulate Frank's swing when I was younger too.

Bad idea.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-01-2006, 02:16 PM

Bad idea.

I used to try to emulate Kenny's swing. That was a bad idea, too.

:wink:

voodoochile
03-01-2006, 02:30 PM

Actually, Aaron Rowand is quoted as saying those exact things a few years ago.

Frank's hitting style was different than almost all other players. He got trained differently and it might make it different for other players to adapt to what he is saying. PK and Frank were never that friendly from what I can tell and thus the comment "that I see eye to eye with." I seriously doubt that Frank would have blown PK off if he had approached him. Frank didn't need much help hitting wise. When he was on, it didn't matter who threw what to him, it wasn't going to hit the catcher's mitt unless it was a ball, so I doubt he approached other guys too often for their opinions, prefering to work with the coaches and the Hrniak disciples.

voodoochile
03-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I used to try to emulate Kenny's swing. That was a bad idea, too.

:wink:

idiot...:wink:

FielderJones
03-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Or maybe it was because you were all glove, no stick, whether you tried to swing like Frank Thomas or Marlo Thomas.

teal
not teal

:tealtutor:

Iwritecode
03-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Bad idea.

When I was goofing around in the backyard I'd try to get the Julio Franco batting stance going.

http://www.murkworks.net/~james/Sports/OakAtl061203/25.jpg

SoLongFrank
03-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Don't turn this into a Paulie-vs-Frank thread. Paulie has said a LOT of complimenting things about Frank over the past few years. He's even been concilatory in stating that he himself is a much better hitter with Frank in the lineup.

I agree that Frank has one of those God given talent swings. There aren't too many players that match his size & strength so he can't help many players there. The area where Frank can help the best is plate discipline. I believe he has helped Maggs, Lee, & Konerko in that area over the years.

I remember reading where Frank likes to talk about his at bat's out loud when he returns. Good or bad. He's a wealth of information during the game like that. I think he's going to have a very positive impact on the young A's. A guy of that stature can talk to himself any time he wants & there will be players to listen.