PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Scoop Jackson

Sxy Mofo
02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
...was "Mr. White Sox" during the playoffs? Did that "five reason you have to love the white sox" thing on espn? I wrote him and email explaining to him how he was a bandwagoneer, and I had followed his progression through the season.

His latest article about what he learned in the last year, here's a excerpt:

that the third-largest city in the country can win a World Series and no one will care.
that Cubs fans are the most hypocritical fans in America.
that even after the Sox won it all, I'm still a Cubs fan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/060228

So why'd you come on with all that sox gear, acting like they were your boys? Can we just get rick reilly and bill simmons to write every sports related article in the future? Has anyone thought of doing that?

SOXPHILE
02-28-2006, 03:16 PM
This guy's aritcles aren't worth the paper he writes them on. He was the one at Cubby Bear on 10/26/06, all decked out in his Sox gear, cheering them on. Oh, wait, he's "still a Cub fan". He LOVES to stir things up just for the sake of doing it, by writing articles that race bait, and make outragous, broad, sweeping statements about people and topics, even though he doesn't really know a whole hell of alot of what he's talking about, and peppers it with words like "ya'all" and "what-up" to show everyone how much "street cred" he has. Basically, he's Stephen A. Smith with a word processor.

Dan Mega
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
The guy is a racist idiot. Pay no attention to him.

jdm2662
02-28-2006, 03:20 PM

Ditto. I was just going to post that. He's yet another reason to pay no attention to ESPN.

Sxy Mofo
02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Totally agree, it was more of "mo was right" type of post...

EastCoastSoxFan
02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
After reading that article, I have learned that:

...ESPN really stands for Egomaniacs Spewing Pure Nonsense

...beginning a thought on one bullet-point line

...and ending it on the next line gets old pretty quick

...lovefests between ESPN writers make the summer of '67 look like a casket viewing

EastCoastSoxFan
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm sure others could keep this satire going (if they bothered reading the article), but that's the best I can do at quarter to five on a Tuesday...

Sxy Mofo
02-28-2006, 04:04 PM
The smart things he said was that MJ is still bigger than anyone, and that rick reilly is the best sportswriter out there.

SOXPHILE
02-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm sure others could keep this satire going (if they bothered reading the article), but that's the best I can do at quarter to five on a Tuesday...

Here, let me try.

...Scoop Jackson is an

...idiot

...I still wonder why Scoop and the rest of ESPN continue to promote, prop up, and give "shout outs" to Steven A. Smith

...when it's been shown again and again that very few people like him or anything he has to say

...Scoop and Jay Marriotti should stop writing & take a road trip together, ala Thema & Louise

...concluding it the same way the movie did

peeonwrigley
02-28-2006, 04:22 PM
that Terrell Owens and Ron Artest can make a sportswriter's life hell in the course of 12 months.
Really? Because I'm pretty sure that they made your life a lot easier.

His "insight" to Chicago is laughable.

He did write a great article about the '89 Illini Hoops team paving the way for the Fab Five though... so I have to give him credit for that.

Hangar18
03-08-2006, 01:22 PM
... that the third-largest city in the country can win a World Series and no one will care.

Fact: Sox won the World Series
Myth: Most of Chicago didnt care about it.

Myth: Media said a few thousand were expected for the Parade
Fact: 2 Million Showed up for the Parade
Myth: Most of the 2 Million were Cub fans

TommyJohn
03-08-2006, 02:55 PM

These myths are being helped along by Rick Morrissey. I know I shouldn't
care, but I have to admit sometimes Hangar makes a point.

spawn
03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Scoop may be a lot of things, but he's not a racist. Too many people throw that term around too easily these days, and I for one am really getting sick of it.

IlliniSox4Life
03-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Scoop may be a lot of things, but he's not a racist. Too many people throw that term around too easily these days, and I for one am really getting sick of it.

Have you ever even read anything that he's written? I'll give you an example of something he wrote that is racist in the article this thread links to:

that there are three black people -- all athletes -- on the face of the Earth who can't dance
and "Dancing With The Stars" conveniently found all three.

I would say perpetuating racial stereotypes counts as racist. What would have happened if someone like Rush Limbaugh said that? There would have been a huge controversy.

Here, he even admits he's racist:

that pulling for a black coach to win the Super Bowl is somewhat racist.
that pulling for a black QB to win the Super Bowl is somewhat pointless.
that I'll still continue to do both.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2006, 06:37 PM

Fact: 75% of televisions in Chicagoland were tuned into the World Series this past October.

TommyJohn
03-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Fact: 75% of televisions in Chicagoland were tuned into the World Series this past October.

Yeah, but 70% of them were Cub fans wondering what a World Series
in Chicago actually looked like.

spawn
03-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Have you ever even read anything that he's written? I'll give you an example of something he wrote that is racist in the article this thread links to:
Yeah, I've read what he's written. I still don't see anything to make me think he's racist. The guy is trying to create a buzz. If you're taking everything he says seriously, then the fault lies with you. Hell, I pull for the black QB whenever he plays. I pull for the blacks that have participated in shows like The Apprentice, even American Idol. I don't believe that makes me racist. Just because he said that doesn't make it so.

I would say perpetuating racial stereotypes counts as racist. What would have happened if someone like Rush Limbaugh said that? There would have been a huge controversy.

Rush Limbaugh did say something like that. It was a huge controversy. And IMO, what Rush said about McNabb wasn't racist in the least. It was stupid as hell, but it wasn't racist.

IlliniSox4Life
03-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I've read what he's written. I still don't see anything to make me think he's racist. The guy is trying to create a buzz. If you're taking everything he says seriously, then the fault lies with you. Hell, I pull for the black QB whenever he plays. I pull for the blacks that have participated in shows like The Apprentice, even American Idol. I don't believe that makes me racist. Just because he said that doesn't make it so.

Ok, so if I came out and said that black people shouldn't be allowed on my bus, but was just "trying to create a buzz", it's not racist? So if Hitler was really trying to just get some attention for Germany, he wasn't racist?

He is favoring one person simply because of their race. He wants a QB to win a superbowl simply because they are black. What's the difference between wanting a QB to win simply because they are white? or hispanic? or any other race? Favoring one race over another is racism.

And if you are pulling for somebody on The Apprentice or American Idol solely because they are black, and that is why you want them to win, then yes, it does make you at least a little bit racist. That's the definition of the word. I'm not saying I've never pulled for somebody to win something just because they were a minority either. I pulled for Shani Davis to become the first black winter Olympic individual gold medalist. A lot of times I like guys like Kirk Hinrich or Steve Kerr partly because there aren't quite as many good white basketball players. Is it that big of a deal? No, not really. Is it racist? Yeah, a little.

spawn
03-11-2006, 11:48 AM
And if you are pulling for somebody on The Apprentice or American Idol solely because they are black, and that is why you want them to win, then yes, it does make you at least a little bit racist. That's the definition of the word. I'm not saying I've never pulled for somebody to win something just because they were a minority either. I pulled for Shani Davis to become the first black winter Olympic individual gold medalist. A lot of times I like guys like Kirk Hinrich or Steve Kerr partly because there aren't quite as many good white basketball players. Is it that big of a deal? No, not really. Is it racist? Yeah, a little.
If that's the case, then what does it make me when I pull for an athlete solely because he's from Chicago?
Or how about in the Olympics, when I pull for the American athletes to win?
I guess I'm really in trouble becuse I'm hoping the black couple in The Amazing Race do well because the guy is black and he's from Chicago.

Pulling for black athletes or black contestants doesn't make me racist. I have pride for my people and I hope they do well. How is that racist? I'm not blind...if the person I'm pulling for turns out to be a prick, then I stop hoping they do well. As I said, we all to casually throw that word around. It's extremely loaded and people should take care when using it.

rookie
03-11-2006, 01:37 PM
If that's the case, then what does it make me when I pull for an athlete solely because he's from Chicago?
Or how about in the Olympics, when I pull for the American athletes to win?
I guess I'm really in trouble becuse I'm hoping the black couple in The Amazing Race do well because the guy is black and he's from Chicago.

Pulling for black athletes or black contestants doesn't make me racist. I have pride for my people and I hope they do well. How is that racist? I'm not blind...if the person I'm pulling for turns out to be a prick, then I stop hoping they do well. As I said, we all to casually throw that word around. It's extremely loaded and people should take care when using it.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/agree.gif I agree

SOXSINCE'70
03-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Ditto. I was just going to post that. He's yet another reason to pay no attention to ESPN.

You mean there are more reasons than Stuart "Boo-ya!" Scott,
Dan "the pantywaste" Patrick and Screamin' A.Smith??:roflmao: :roflmao: