PDA

View Full Version : Mediot says Thomas a pariah like Sosa

mjharrison72
02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Did anyone else read this crap (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060227downey,1,4693627.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) today?
It was Sosa all over again: A prince of the city one day, a pariah the next.

Suddenly, no one should anticipate the painting of Thomas' face on the U.S. Cellular left-field fence alongside Nellie Fox, Luke Appling, etc., even though this is the team's all-time leader in home runs, RBIs, walks and extra-base hits. What a twist of fate if perhaps the two most talented White Sox ever to take the field—Shoeless Joe Jackson and Thomas—end up as the team's invisible men.
We have the White Sox erecting statues of men who starred for other organizations (Carlton Fisk) or are still without Hall of Fame membership (Minnie Minoso). They prematurely retired the uniform number of a popular but hardly immortal player (Harold Baines) but are unlikely to do likewise for the most famous man to ever wear No. 35 on 35th Street.
I'm sure this little spat will not overshadow everything Big Frank did in a Sox uniform. What utter bull****, and to be written by a local reporter? Has there been any indication, by anyone other than this mediot, that the Sox will not retire #35? Say it ain't freaking so.

Mods, please roadhouse this if you see fit.

MarySwiss
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Did anyone else read this crap (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060227downey,1,4693627.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) today?

I'm sure this little spat will not overshadow everything Big Frank did in a Sox uniform. What utter bull****, and to be written by a local reporter? Has there been any indication, by anyone other than this mediot, that the Sox will not retire #35? Say it ain't freaking so.

Pure speculation on his part, I'm sure. I cannot imagine Frank's number not being retired. And I didn't much like the unwarranted shot at Baines.

DaleJRFan
02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I am pretty sure they were talking about the wrong Frank Thomas....

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/thomascard.jpg

Ol' No. 2
02-28-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/images/head-up-your-ass.jpg Downey

mjharrison72
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/images/head-up-your-ass.jpg Downey
:hawk
"That may be the best picture I've ever seen of a Hineybird in its final stages of existence."

Tekijawa
02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
>>Originally Posted by Mediot Downey
It was Sosa all over again: A prince of the city one day, a pariah the next.<<

Don't you have to at one point be a prince of the city to be a "prince of the city"? At what point, even for a milli-second was Frank ever the toast of this town? How soon that this city forgets how many sports writers called for Thomas' head and complained about his whining...

MikeLove
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
i was waiting for this post. I read this and couldnt believe it. We arent going to retire franks number because of his fight with KW? What a retarded thing to say. A couple of years down the line, this story wont even be a blip on the radar. Just cause the cubs star had a huge falling out and cant play baseball anymore, doesnt mean this is even close to the same situation. What a joke, I cant believe this is even in print.

Hangar18
02-28-2006, 02:21 PM
i was waiting for this post. I read this and couldnt believe it. We arent going to retire franks number because of his fight with KW? What a retarded thing to say. A couple of years down the line, this story wont even be a blip on the radar. Just cause the cubs star had a huge falling out and cant play baseball anymore, doesnt mean this is even close to the same situation. What a joke, I cant believe this is even in print.

They know what theyre doing. They plant that out there and try to make both situations similar. its BS is what it is. Downey, Morrissey, Sullivan, Mariotti are all Yellow

schmitty9800
02-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Downey's so dumb that he can't even form an opinion of Frank without endlessly comparing him to Sosa.

MARK BURHELE, WHO? DOES HE PITCH WHOLE SEASONS OR GET HURT EVERY YEAR LIKE KERRY WOOD?

SouthSide_HitMen
02-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Telender wrote the same thing yesterday (which is why I noted Jay Mariotti's article made the most sense (rejecting the Chicago bid for the 2016 Olympics) - which may be an all time first).

http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick27.html

Frank, Sammy -- two of a kind

The biggest icon in recent decades on the North Side -- the Cubs' Sammy Sosa -- is in something of a shame-laden cocoon these days, too. Amazing that just five years ago, Sammy was a near baseball god. And Thomas was approaching Ted Williams status.

I suspect that time will dull the lingering local contempt for both Thomas and Sosa and that in a decade or so, each will be honored with loving ceremonies back at the parks where they made their fame. A new generation of Chicago fans will mature, older ones will forgive and forget the childishness, the cork, the walkouts, the breath-holding fits, and what will remain are the amazing numbers and the wondrous video clips shining like beacons of the sluggers' on-field glory.

Think of it: Between the pair, they have 930 home runs. But the legacy isn't pretty now. After he threw out the first pitch before the first playoff game last fall and accepted the standing ovation, Thomas had a chance to leave our city beloved.
Now all he and Sammy can do is wait.

Dan Mega
02-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Telender wrote the same thing yesterday (which is why I noted Jay Mariotti's article made the most sense (rejecting the Chicago bid for the 2016 Olympics) - which may be an all time first).

Wait a second- Moronotti and sense in the same sentence? That is an all-time first!

http://rasc.org/2003/funnies/hell-freezes.jpg

SOecks
02-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Mike Downey is just such a terrible excuse for a writer I can't even get mad at anything he says. The next valid point he makes in one of his articles will be his first. "Downey's Eleven" is the poorest excuse for a humorous column that I've ever seen. Can't believe he's still in this market. He must have pictures of somebody. At least Mariotti's hatred is focused and he makes coherent (though completely off base) points in his writing. Downey just meanders and makes poor attempts at humor. Doesn't have a thought in his feeble little mind.

daveeym
02-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't even know how to categorize it - disturbing, shameful, pitiful, flat out lying - but for all Frank's problems he's always been a fan favorite and yet the media continually tries to make it sound like he's loathed by the fans.

Yes, Frank has foot in mouth disease and doesn't know when to shut it, yes he isn't too fond of the media. However he's never really alienated the fans. Sure his annual spring training shenanigans for a 3 or 4 year period grated on some fans, but it was always quickly forgotten once the season started. Mediots once again taking 2 + 2 and getting 5.

Hoffdaddydmb
02-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Downey is a complete MORON! Why wouldn't we retire the number of baseball player that tops many of our all-time team categories. Not to mention Sosa is a washed up cheater (CORK!) and steriod user. Frank might not have had the greatest attitute off the field, but he was HOF'er material everytime he was on the field (and all natural). Downey proves once again that IQ is not a factor for getting hiring as a sportswriter. :angry:

SBSoxFan
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Sosa is a washed up cheater (CORK!) and steriod user. Frank might not have had the greatest attitute off the field, but he was HOF'er material everytime he was on the field (and all natural).
I agree completely. To compare Frank to Sosa is an insult to Thomas. Frank never cheated, as far as I know never left a regular season game early, and was part of a World Series champion.

TDog
02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I read the column last night and agreed with its point. It isn't comparing Thomas and Sosa as players or human beings. It is saying both of them wore out their welcome with organizations that took great lengths to protect their images.

Thomas may not be on the outs with a lot of Sox fans, but his behavior after he left the organization have shown the organization and fans disrespect. If he had retired, he would be revered.

As a fan who wants to see the Sox win, I wouldn't have wanted to see Thomas hang on simply to hit 500 home runs.

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 08:27 PM

And some idiots on WSI are saying the exact same trash. They are tools of the Cubune.

TornLabrum
02-28-2006, 08:34 PM
http://www.yankeepotroast.org/images/fowlerhorsetail.jpg

"Hello, I'm Mike Downey."

PaleHoseGeorge
02-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Believe it. There are so many ridiculous holes in Downey's logic, no self-respecting high school newspaper editor would print it. But yet here it is in today's Cubune.

Unbelievable. Un-****ing-believable.

DickAllen72
02-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Sammy Sosa was a fraud and a cheater. Frank was just a baby.

Max Power
02-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I saw the headline and didn't bother reading the article. But I do recall one of the hundred other "Thomas vs. the Sox" articles saying that Frank still had a very good relationship with Reinsdorf. Thus, his number will be retired as soon as is reasonable (that is to say not as quickly as Baines' was). But I guess Downey would have to do some actual thinking and a tad of reading to come to this completely logical conclusion.