PDA

View Full Version : *NEW* Green seats update

skobabe8
02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I went to the gift shop on Friday and snapped two pictures (one down each baseline) from the 500 level. I don't want to start the whole "Why couldn't they finish the job this year" debate, but I know alot of people would like to know how it looks--especially those of you in other parts of the country/world.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1055&cat=3

SOecks
02-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Great pics, thanks. Although the two tone look is a bit goofy, I had no idea how nice the dark green seats would make the entire stadium look. It's like a completely new park now. Makes the blue look so childish and campy IMO. Glad they made the move and hope they're comfortable.

VenturaSoxFan23
02-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Doesn't matter to me, as long as there's butts in those seats.

SOXPHILE
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Wow ! Those look great ! Nice pic.

Steelrod
02-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Pretty soon someone will complain about the lack of blue!

Hangar18
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Approximately what time of day was it? Looks like about 1pm ................
and I see about 4 people working on the seats. Nice.

skobabe8
02-28-2006, 01:17 PM

It was between 12 and 1. From what I saw there were a handful of workers in different sections. There were more workers and equipment working on the scout seat restaurant.

jdm2662
02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Those are some sweet pics. Nice work.

mjharrison72
02-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah... that was my thought, too:
Great to see all the crews working overtime to get the new seats in place by Opening Day.

rdwj
02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I heard rumors that they might angle the seats toward home plate as they move into the outfield. Is that still going to happen? If so, that might explain the time this project is taking.

I really like the green seats - they look MUCH better than blue - and I was in the "who cares" camp before the project started.

IronFisk
02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Great pics! They also point out how desperately something is needed for that exposed concrete - colored paint will never suffice. Lots of discussion about "bricking" over it, which would definitely do the trick!

IronFisk
02-28-2006, 01:32 PM
I heard rumors that they might angle the seats toward home plate as they move into the outfield. Is that still going to happen? If so, that might explain the time this project is taking.

GIANT discussion about this on the older thread.

Check it out...

Linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63846&highlight=green+seats)

daveeym
02-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Great pics, thanks. Although the two tone look is a bit goofy, I had no idea how nice the dark green seats would make the entire stadium look. It's like a completely new park now. Makes the blue look so childish and campy IMO. Glad they made the move and hope they're comfortable. I agree, I'm surprised at how good the green looks in comparision to the blue. I want all the rails painted yellow now.

Frater Perdurabo
02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
The dark green looks fantastic; a definite improvement over the blue!

Perhaps many of the rest of the workers were on lunch when the photo was shot?

itsnotrequired
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM

A seat jab only 9 minutes after the thread was started? You're slipping, Hangar.:redneck

The seats look great, especially with the green roof. They look even better since I can see my seats in those pics!:bandance:

Baby Fisk
02-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Perhaps many of the rest of the workers were on lunch when the photo was shot?
They're in St. Louis didn't you hear?

SOecks
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
What was the reasoning to put blue in to begin with? Was that just the popular fad at the time (as was the cookie cutter stadium phase)? I always thought it was strange especially since the old Comiskey seats were green and I figured they'd want to keep things the same.

IlliniSox4Life
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
What was the reasoning to put blue in to begin with? Was that just the popular fad at the time (as was the cookie cutter stadium phase)? I always thought it was strange especially since the old Comiskey seats were green and I figured they'd want to keep things the same.

What I always heard was that JR was a Dodger fan growing up and always liked the look of the blue seats at the Dodger's stadium.

ChiSoxGirl
02-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I went to the gift shop on Friday and snapped two pictures (one down each baseline) from the 500 level. I don't want to start the whole "Why couldn't they finish the job this year" debate, but I know alot of people would like to know how it looks--especially those of you in other parts of the country/world.

Great work, Jason! I was at the gift shop a week ago Monday (without my camera, of course :angry:) and they've even come a long way since then! Last Monday, there were no seats installed behind the visitor's dugout at all; now almost everything is in! I asked the woman who took me up to the gift shop if she knew anything about the new seats (i.e. if they were going to angle some of them), and of course, she knew nothing. For that matter, she didn't know anything about anything else concerning the ballpark... like if they were going to put something on the facade where they had "Home of the All-Star Game" in 2003 signifying the fact that we're World Champions.

skottyj242
02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
My seats are still blue.

batmanZoSo
02-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Good god, get this **** done already! :D:

Seriously, I am sick of seeing those horrible blue seats. I mean at least we'll be seeing a lot less of them this year, but still. It's just that the green parts look so infinitely better, it's heartbreaking to see the blue in the outfield.

Cellview22
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Great pics! I now have the first one as my desktop background.

...My seats are still blue too. Getting excited though looking at my seats. I just bought 2 tix in section 149, row 25. Should I have asked for section 150, 1 section over, to see if I could get closer to the field? Or are my seats in row 25 fine?

twsoxfan5
02-28-2006, 02:30 PM
My seats are still blue.

Mine too and I am not going to lie I kind of feel left out.:D:

siugrad25
02-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the pics! I guess I was one of the people who liked the idea of changing the seat color to green, but it wasn't like my life hinged on it. Obviously, I was always more concerned about the product on the field than what the stadium looks like. It's amazing how different the park looks like since its opening.

BainesHOF
02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
If we can put a man on the moon, I'm sure the Sox could have changed all the seats to green in the offseason.

Cat Thief
02-28-2006, 03:43 PM

...My seats are still blue too. Getting excited though looking at my seats. I just bought 2 tix in section 149, row 25. Should I have asked for section 150, 1 section over, to see if I could get closer to the field? Or are my seats in row 25 fine?

I'm in 149 also. I know one benefit of being further back is having the overhang in case of rain. Also, closer to the bathrooms!

thomas35forever
02-28-2006, 08:40 PM
I'll try not to pay attention to them when I go to the ballpark this year. But if there's some asses in those seats, we don't have to worry about them.

hsnterprize
02-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Considering all the seats aren't green yet, the place doesn't look bad at all. Of course we'd all like to see the seats completely green, but I'll personally take this considering all the work the crew is doing to get the place to look even better than it did last year.

Great job on the pics. BTW...the seats were originally blue because J.R. was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and he wanted the seat color to pay tribute to them. Of course, back in 1991, seat colors didn't matter as much as it does now.

Whitesox029
02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Somehow I knew this was going to happen...how is it that they could install a brand new roof in one offseason and build a huge fan deck in one offseason and build the equally huge fundamentals deck in one offseason, but they can't replace 30,000+ seats in one offseason? The way I see it, starting tomorrow, they have 23 working days left before opening day, and 42 sections left to do. That's a little less than 2 sections per day. If you have about 10-15 men working, how long can one section possibly take? 4 hours? I don't exactly know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that one seat could be replaced by one man in about 5 minutes.

Deebs14
02-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Nice work on those pictures. The last few times I've been back there the place has looked better and better each time. :smile:

chisoxfanatic
02-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Do you think I'd get stopped at the turnstyles if I came to Opening Night with a can of dark green paint and a brush to paint my season ticket seat?

JohnBasedowYoda
02-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Are you constantly within reach of USCF? :cool:

Trav
02-28-2006, 10:08 PM

According to one of the books I read on the pimping of the Sox by JR during the struggle to smear one of the best parks ever built to build a higher revenue yeilding stadium, JR always liked Kaufman (KC) and it was similar when built. As far as being part of the fad, Kaufman was the last one to be built before the "New" Comiskey and that was in the late '70s I think.

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I agree, I'm surprised at how good the green looks in comparision to the blue. I want all the rails painted yellow now.That should be deep pink. I think the green-yellow mix was nice at Old Comiskey.

paciorek1983
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
According to one of the books I read on the pimping of the Sox by JR during the struggle to smear one of the best parks ever built to build a higher revenue yeilding stadium, JR always liked Kaufman (KC) and it was similar when built. As far as being part of the fad, Kaufman was the last one to be built before the "New" Comiskey and that was in the late '70s I think.

Scottiehaswheels
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Do you think I'd get stopped at the turnstyles if I came to Opening Night with a can of dark green paint and a brush to paint my season ticket seat? I dunno.... If hundreds of us did it.... My seat is also blue still... can't wait to see the park this year though.... I wonder why they can't change some seats out when the team is on some of their 2 week long road trips?

Trav
02-28-2006, 10:38 PM
I dunno.... If hundreds of us did it.... My seat is also blue still... can't wait to see the park this year though.... I wonder why they can't change some seats out when the team is on some of their 2 week long road trips?

It will be to hot out to caulk. Just kidding. Didn't they plan on doing that last year? How come they didn't?

chisox77
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I can't get enough of those "green seat pictures." They look great! I always thought that the park would look a lot better, but wow, the transformation, even with some blue seats left, is incredible. You know, this renovation thing has kind of allowed Sox fans to experience a new ballpark almost every year since 2001. Such a bargain - a park completed in 1991, and we still can't wait to see what it looks like: a work in progress, the forever morphing and redefining baseball park, the never ending changing appearance of The Cell - we're so lucky!

Scottiehaswheels
02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
You know, this renovation thing has kind of allowed Sox fans to experience a new ballpark almost every year since 2001.

Just wait til 2012, it'll float in the air by then! :tongue:

paciorek1983
02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I can't get enough of those "green seat pictures." They look great! I always thought that the park would look a lot better, but wow, the transformation, even with some blue seats left, is incredible. You know, this renovation thing has kind of allowed Sox fans to experience a new ballpark almost every year since 2001. Such a bargain - a park completed in 1991, and we still can't wait to see what it looks like: a work in progress, the forever morphing and redefining baseball park, the never ending changing appearance of The Cell - we're so lucky!

When the park first opened, a friend of mine and I thought it looked a little plain. My thought was that the park was almost a blank canvas, and over the years, we would see what kind of strokes were added.

It looks good, but it still needs a few more touches. I think the concrete on the facades should be covered, either with bricks, black paint or the black metallic covering that they put on the walls of the outfield concourse. Teh outfield concrete should be covered in bricks, and the have just a few ads painted on them.

Also, the scoreboard needs an overhaul: line score, out of town scores, analog clock, thinner pinwheel sticks and more of them.

TheDarkGundam
02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Hey, all the seats I got in my Ozzie plan may be UD, but at least my seats will be green! :cool:

chisoxfanatic
03-01-2006, 12:34 AM
I dunno.... If hundreds of us did it.... My seat is also blue still... can't wait to see the park this year though.... I wonder why they can't change some seats out when the team is on some of their 2 week long road trips?

I also wonder why they stopped where they did. I mean, Opening Night still is a month away. They could get tons more done in that amount of time.

FedEx227
03-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Pretty soon someone will complain about the lack of blue!

::Prepares to create Blue Seat Apprecation Thread::

dickallen15
03-01-2006, 08:07 AM
I also wonder why they stopped where they did. I mean, Opening Night still is a month away. They could get tons more done in that amount of time.

All of the sections that they didn't do down the lines, and many of the outfield sections have had seats added to them since the park opened. I can't be positive, but these seats may have some depreciation value left for the Authority, and they may want to get another year out of them.

Hangar18
03-01-2006, 08:47 AM
........ I wonder why they can't change some seats out when the team is on some of their 2 week long road trips?

Supposedly, thats what they were doing in 04 and 05. Didnt really get much done, apparently, it takes a whole offseason for the calk to dry

Bobbo35
03-01-2006, 09:51 AM

That looks quite nice, looks like a totally different park.

Whitesox029
03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Take the "glass is half full" approach! If your seat's still blue, that's one fewer blue seat that YOU have to look at, right?

Madvora
03-01-2006, 05:26 PM

I really like the green seats - they look MUCH better than blue - and I was in the "who cares" camp before the project started.
Man that would be cool. I absolutely hate sitting in those foul pole secions because of that.

chicagojoe
03-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Somehow I knew this was going to happen...how is it that they could install a brand new roof in one offseason and build a huge fan deck in one offseason and build the equally huge fundamentals deck in one offseason, but they can't replace 30,000+ seats in one offseason? The way I see it, starting tomorrow, they have 23 working days left before opening day, and 42 sections left to do. That's a little less than 2 sections per day. If you have about 10-15 men working, how long can one section possibly take? 4 hours? I don't exactly know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that one seat could be replaced by one man in about 5 minutes.

The problem isn't that the crew cannot finish in time, the problem is that once the old seats come out, they have to work on all the expansion joints. That is what takes a long time. The expansion joints require caulk. If the temperature is 45 or below, caulking cannot be done.

chicagojoe
03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
By the way

I'm one of the workers in that picture

oeo
03-01-2006, 09:10 PM
By the way

You may have answered this question before, and sorry if you have, but:

How long would it take if you guys did have to replace the rest of those seats...considering there is still a month before opening day, I was just wondering why stop there? I'm sure you can't finish now, but how far could you get?

BTW, it looks awesome, I can't wait until they're finished.

itsnotrequired
03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
By the way

Stop posing for pictures and get to work!

Seriously, things are looking great. BTW, did you happen to get those larger seats installed for 520, Row 6, Seats 1 and 2?:D:

Stoky44
03-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Man, the grass looks dead and bad. Rog better get his ass in gear. I can see it now in the Cubune: Grass Looks Dead, Just Like the Sox.

On a serious note, I really like the green seats because it makes the park look and feel smaller, not so open. Does anybody else feel that way? I know dark colors tend to do that, which was why Colon never wore the white uni's when he pitched, always black.

Andy T Clown
03-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I'll try not to pay attention to them when I go to the ballpark this year. But if there's some asses in those seats, we don't have to worry about them.

There will be plenty of SOX FANS in those seats. (There will be some asses in those seats May 19 thru 21).:cool:

TheOldRoman
03-01-2006, 11:16 PM
There will be plenty of SOX FANS in those seats. (There will be some asses in those seats May 19 thru 21).:cool:
No, there will be asses in those seats every game. There will be jackasses in those seats May 19 through 21.

Hangar18
03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
The problem isn't that the crew cannot finish in time, the problem is that once the old seats come out, they have to work on all the expansion joints. That is what takes a long time. The expansion joints require caulk. If the temperature is 45 or below, caulking cannot be done.

Expansion Joints? We were told the reason the Seats cant be done on time is because the SOX played too long in October. And if the temp is 45 or below, why arent Tarps being used? I saw Tarps being used plenty when they were doing the mortar and concrete work on the concourse a couple years ago (it was even colder back then)

dickallen15
03-02-2006, 10:10 AM
If it has to be 45 degrees or higher to caulk the expansion joints and put the seats in, how come they were able to get as much done as they have this offseason? It hasn't been above 45 degrees that much the last 4 months.

skobabe8
03-02-2006, 11:12 AM

You owe me my copyright money! Seriously, thats really cool.

I hope I got your good side, chicagojoe. Keep up the great work!

Hangar18
03-02-2006, 11:14 AM
If it has to be 45 degrees or higher to caulk the expansion joints and put the seats in, how come they were able to get as much done as they have this offseason? It hasn't been above 45 degrees that much the last 4 months.

YUP. I was hoping someone would point this out.
What was the excuse for last offseason?
(oil prices delayed production of seats worldwide)
How did the Cardinals get as many seats as they have?
Why arent they using Tarps?
Why are there always between 1 and 4 workers putting seats in?
How were they able to work in subzero weather and get concrete poured (which is far more sensitive to frigid temps) the last few offseasons?

I smell a cover-up here

anewman35
03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I smell a cover-up here

Please explain what possible purpose anybody could have for a cover-up here. Go on, I dare you.

itsnotrequired
03-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Please explain what possible purpose anybody could have for a cover-up here. Go on, I dare you.

A bold challenge.

chicagojoe has weighed in with his knowledge of the project and the materials they use. We need some other construction-type guys to weigh in on this whole "too cold to caulk" issue. Unless we know exactly what type of material they are using, the process required, etc., any comparisons to St. Louis' progress is a waste of time.

lostletters
03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
The only reason the seats are not ready is because the Sox went deep into October. The majority of the work for renovations like this is in October, November and March.

Also the extremely cold December did not help anything.

So what would you rather have? Green Seats or a World Series Championship?

anewman35
03-02-2006, 11:37 AM
A bold challenge.

chicagojoe has weighed in with his knowledge of the project and the materials they use. We need some other construction-type guys to weigh in on this whole "too cold to caulk" issue. Unless we know exactly what type of material they are using, the process required, etc., any comparisons to St. Louis' progress is a waste of time.

It's a waste of time anyway, because the scope is entirely different. St. Louis HAS to get all those seats in this year, so they are pulling out all the stops to do so. The Sox don't, so they aren't. I'm sure that if the Sox had chosen, they could have used more people or tarps or whatever, but they felt that that the additional benefit (i.e. all green seats this year) didn't justify the costs.

As I've always said, it's easy for people here to spend money that isn't theirs. The money that they aren't spending to get this done this year might well go towards the team or other ballpark features in the future, and in the end nobody (except a few people here) is really going to care that the stadium is half and half (or did I miss the big public uproar last year when the colors were mixed, too?). Is it that hard to believe that the Sox know what they are doing?

dickallen15
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM

I really think it has to do with the relatively new seats down the lines and in the outfield sections. It may have to do with still being able to depreciate them. Because they said this would be done and is now not may not be a cover up, but they may not want you to know the real reason if it has to do with my theory, because then they would look cheap. Why wouldn't they work on the rest during the season on road trips instead of waiting until next offseason? There will be a lot more 45 degree+ days and nights during that time if this truely is about the caulk.

SoLongFrank
03-02-2006, 02:43 PM
The key was to finish the UD because that's where most of the empty seats will be found. Though only the dog games figure to be empty up there this year.

I don't expect a seat to be empty in the blue sections. Those will definitely be filled by walkups. Cushions covering the seat & back bearing the same color as the green seats would have been real nice. I wish they would have done that to help hide the blue.

Luke
03-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm a grad. of Purdue's Construction Management program, and was a project manager for five years in the industry. Maybe I can shed some light on the production side.

Almost any caulk/adhesive is sensitive to the temp/hummidity. Unless you "tent" it, most caulk/mortar/concrete won't set-up correctly under 45 or so degrees, although I believe there are some rare specialty products that might.

There's any number of reasons why they're behind: There could have been production problems with the chairs and they arrived late. Contractually, the construction company may not be obligated to use a larger crew. There might have been a labor shortage this winter at whatever local union was installing the chairs. The list goes on and on.

tc1959
03-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I drove through St. Louis back in early November on my way to Branson, MO and most of new Busch Stadium was already constructed and all new seats were already in place at that time. The only exception was the portion of the third base corner, which was not built until the old stadium was torn down. So, the Cardinals did not install all of their seats after the season ended, but they were installed as construction of the new stadium progressed. So don't blame the Sox for being so slow, the Cardinals have taken their time in installing their new seats. Also, some seats that were sent to the Sox were not the same ones being installed, so this delayed the work. Remember, the Sox had to removed the old seats and hardware, all the Cardinals had to was to install their seats and hardware. So, the Cardinals did not get all of their work done after the 2005 season, but during the 2004 & 2005 seasons as well. Past posts have suggested that all of the Cardinals seats installations occurred after the 2005 season, which is incorect.