PDA

View Full Version : Jenks shoulder??

rdwj
02-28-2006, 09:01 AM
The Score is reporting that Bobby Jenks woke up with a sore shoulder and has put on some weight over the off-season. I don't know if this is cause for concern, but it's certainly making me a little nervous. Bobby is one of the biggest question marks we have and is in a key role. We need the big guy to be sharp!

veeter
02-28-2006, 09:04 AM
When I heard last week that he came in heavier, I was VERY disappointed. I mean come on, this is your job. I have no idea if it's related to the shoulder, but being in shape definitely reduces injuries. Hermy will get him right, though.

D. TODD
02-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Great talent, but i have serious doubts about him being consistent. Any updates on Hermenson's back?

ChiSoxGirl
02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Great talent, but i have serious doubts about him being consistent. Any updates on Hermenson's back?

Can't remember where I heard this the other day, but the word is that Hermanson dropped 15 lbs. in the off-season and hasn't reported any kind of back pain whatsoever!

fuzzy_patters
02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Can't remember where I heard this the other day, but the word is that Hermanson dropped 15 lbs. in the off-season and hasn't reported any kind of back pain whatsoever!

That is good news. I would definitely feel good about Hermanson closing games. He pitched well last year when Shingo bombed.

FP_sox
02-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I heard Kenny on the score and he said that being over weight when you first get in the big leagues is no surprise and compared Bobby being over weight to Carlos Lee several years back.

Since Bobby as already big, how much do you think he weighs now?

I am very concerned that he is going to eat himself out of the closer role.

VASoxfan1
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
for those of us who don't live in chicago it would be nice to the cubune reporting it on their website......too bad they figure that kw-thomas is more important than injury concnerns of the slated closer.

MadetoOrta
02-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe my eyes deceived me but the sore shoulder is his LEFT shoulder and he'll be ready to fire today. Let's not get carried away. We're World Champs baby!!!!!

CHIsoxNation
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
The sun times reported this morning that he would be ready to throw in tomorrow's first Cactus League game.

fusillirob1983
02-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I read it was his left shoulder. I'm not too worried.

spiffie
02-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Regarding Bobby's weight, it sounds like the last month or so has been full of potholes for him, so hopefully any weight gain is more a reflection of not being able to keep up any conditioning regimen due to the way things in his personal life went. Last year he seemed to have trouble with the second night of back-to-back saves as his velocity would drop 3-5 MPH and his curve would flatten out some. I was, and still am hopeful that ST conditioning and in-season work can get him up to where he close back-to-back nights with the same effectiveness. While it's nice to have Hermanson in the pen, in a big series with the Indians I want to be able to run our very best out there as often as need be.

skottyj242
02-28-2006, 10:30 AM
I also read it was his left shoulder and that he just slept on it strange. Where is everyone reading that he came in overweight.

BTW this is my 1500th post.

ChiSoxGirl
02-28-2006, 10:31 AM
That is good news. I would definitely feel good about Hermanson closing games. He pitched well last year when Shingo bombed.

Absolutely! Hermanson had something like 32 saves and the only one I distinctly remember him blowing was the Saturday night game in San Diego; we were up 1-0 going into the bottom of the 9th and lost 2-1.

itsnotrequired
02-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I also read it was his left shoulder and that he just slept on it strange.

I do that all the time. So annoying...

Iwritecode
02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Where is everyone reading that he came in overweight.

I heard it directly from KW on the Mike North show this morning.

KRS1
02-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Not really adding anything here, but it sounds like the guy might have slept on it. Afterall 250+ odd lbs. on a shoulder if you sleep on your side might tend to make one a little stiff.

shaunburnette
02-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Absolutely! Hermanson had something like 32 saves and the only one I distinctly remember him blowing was the Saturday night game in San Diego; we were up 1-0 going into the bottom of the 9th and lost 2-1.

Yes, I was there :whiner:

White Sox Randy
02-28-2006, 11:23 AM
I woke up with a stiffie. I just thought I would report that.

itsnotrequired
02-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I woke up with a stiffie. I just thought I would report that.

:rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
02-28-2006, 11:48 AM
:rolleyes:

:b&b

"Uhhh... o.k..heh heh heh. Yeah. That Randy dude, is, like, going to the Roadhouse, or something"

"Yeah, yeah. The roadhouse. THE ROADHOUSE !"

SoxSpeed22
02-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I do that all the time. So annoying...You know what I hate even more, when you wake up in the middle of the night and your arm is dead numb.

rdwj
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
You know what I hate even more, when you wake up in the middle of the night and your arm is dead numb.

What I hate even move are the pins and needles you have to endure to get the feeling back.

SOecks
02-28-2006, 01:18 PM
What I hate even move are the pins and needles you have to endure to get the feeling back.

But if you're very careful and don't move your arm AT ALL then you can barely feel it. It usually works pretty well for me.

SBSoxFan
02-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Where is everyone reading that he came in overweight.
I heard it on "Hit and Run"(?) Sunday afternoon on the score. They had an interview with KW and he mentioned Jenks was not in good shape, but he didn't seem upset about it. Not like the Frank thing!

itsnotrequired
02-28-2006, 01:53 PM
You know what I hate even more, when you wake up in the middle of the night and your arm is dead numb.

I get that from time to time. Such a weird feeling...

soxinem1
02-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Regarding Bobby's weight, it sounds like the last month or so has been full of potholes for him, so hopefully any weight gain is more a reflection of not being able to keep up any conditioning regimen due to the way things in his personal life went. Last year he seemed to have trouble with the second night of back-to-back saves as his velocity would drop 3-5 MPH and his curve would flatten out some. I was, and still am hopeful that ST conditioning and in-season work can get him up to where he close back-to-back nights with the same effectiveness. While it's nice to have Hermanson in the pen, in a big series with the Indians I want to be able to run our very best out there as often as need be.

The last few times weight was an issue for Sox players:

LaMarr Hoyt, weight ballooned up from 1983 (24-10) to 1984 (13-17) and was dumped.

Greg Luzinski, weight never an issue until he stopped producing in 1984 and was then dumped.

Bob James, 32 saves in 1985, estimated he gained 60 lbs. from then until 1987, when he flamed out and was subsequently dumped.

Carlos Castillo, talk of ST in 1997, kept ballooning up until Sox dumped him in the Spring of 2000. I know he had attitude issues but the Sox were also ticked off about his skyrocketing girth too.

I don't know, but as much as I like the big guy, he is setting himself up for problems if he does not take his conditioning seriously. He may never be Mr. Atlas but he should be more responsible too.

Bobby J should realize there are a ton of hard-throwing guys who either fell from their perch or never made it because of not taking their job, or self, seriously.

If that's the case I sure hope Hermie or Cotts is ready to go.... and that Jenks is not the next Bob James.....

TaylorStSox
02-28-2006, 05:21 PM
The last few times weight was an issue for Sox players:

LaMarr Hoyt, weight ballooned up from 1983 (24-10) to 1984 (13-17) and was dumped.

Greg Luzinski, weight never an issue until he stopped producing in 1984 and was then dumped.

Bob James, 32 saves in 1985, estimated he gained 60 lbs. from then until 1987, when he flamed out and was subsequently dumped.

Carlos Castillo, talk of ST in 1997, kept ballooning up until Sox dumped him in the Spring of 2000. I know he had attitude issues but the Sox were also ticked off about his skyrocketing girth too.

I don't know, but as much as I like the big guy, he is setting himself up for problems if he does not take his conditioning seriously. He may never be Mr. Atlas but he should be more responsible too.

Bobby J should realize there are a ton of hard-throwing guys who either fell from their perch or never made it because of not taking their job, or self, seriously.

If that's the case I sure hope Hermie or Cotts is ready to go.... and that Jenks is not the next Bob James.....

I don't worry about weight with pitchers. Alot of guys seem to pitch better when they weigh more. ie. Colon.

The thing that should worry us about Jenks is his bionic elbow. He put alot of stress on the piece of metal holding that elbow together last year.

Politte, Hermanson and Jenks all concern me. They each had significant drop off's in velocity last year. Politte wasn't any where near the same pitcher in the last 2/3rd's of the season. He still got guys out, but everything from his velocity to his approach changed. He relied too heavily on his 2 seamer and slider. Earlier in the year, when he was more effective, it was the 4 seamer and occasional slider.

areilly
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't worry about weight with pitchers. Alot of guys seem to pitch better when they weigh more. ie. Colon.

Don't forget pre-Sox David Wells who threw a perfect game using nothing more than a huge gut and a drinking problem to guide him.

thomas35forever
02-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Stiffness in our bodies is something we've all had to deal with, so why should we worry about Jenks?

Hitmen77
02-28-2006, 09:47 PM
It sounds like this "sore shoulder" story is nothing to worry about.

What I am worried about though is whether Jenks is really the "real deal". There are plenty of players in history who had a wonderful Sept./Oct. and then went bust. Of all the Sox players, he's the most unproven (except Brian Anderson).

I guess we'll find out starting on April 2.

doublem23
02-28-2006, 09:50 PM

No, the worst is getting a cramp in a muscle in the middle of the night. I used to get them in my arm every now and then after throwing around for something like 7 hours a day in scalding summer heat. Now that I've turned into a runner, I get them in my calves about once every two weeks. Sucks. :(:

delben91
02-28-2006, 09:56 PM
No, the worst is getting a cramp in a muscle in the middle of the night. I used to get them in my arm every now and then after throwing around for something like 7 hours a day in scalding summer heat. Now that I've turned into a runner, I get them in my calves about once every two weeks. Sucks. :(:

I'm with you MM. I run 4 or 5 days a week, and about once a month I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a horrible cramp in my calf. Usually I bend my foot the wrong direction first, intensifying the cramp before I figure out the right way to bend it to stretch the muscle out.

Glad to help in the analysis of Jenks!

StockdaleForVeep
02-28-2006, 11:09 PM
The Score is reporting that Bobby Jenks woke up with a sore shoulder and has put on some weight over the off-season. I don't know if this is cause for concern, but it's certainly making me a little nervous. Bobby is one of the biggest question marks we have and is in a key role. We need the big guy to be sharp!

He needs to lay off slurpin chilli off the world series trophy

JohnBasedowYoda
03-01-2006, 01:41 AM
I thought initial reports were that bobby lost some weight? I heard that a while back.... But if you look at that goofy pick of him trying to slide he looks awfull.

This is a big break for him, hopefully he trims down and get's healthy.

chisoxfanatic
03-01-2006, 10:32 AM
According to Cowley's article today, Jenks' shoulder is looking better:

THROWING AGAIN: One day after being scratched from an intrasquad game because of a sore left shoulder, closer Bobby Jenks threw a normal bullpen session and said he had no pain.

It would be wonderful if Jenks and Hermanson had to battle it out for the closer's role. What a great problem to have in having two possible formidable closers!

SBSoxFan
03-01-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm with you MM. I run 4 or 5 days a week, and about once a month I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a horrible cramp in my calf. Usually I bend my foot the wrong direction first, intensifying the cramp before I figure out the right way to bend it to stretch the muscle out.

Glad to help in the analysis of Jenks!

:hijacked: Have you ever tried potassium supplements?

StockdaleForVeep
03-01-2006, 06:03 PM
According to Cowley's article today, Jenks' shoulder is looking better:

It would be wonderful if Jenks and Hermanson had to battle it out for the closer's role. What a great problem to have in having two possible formidable closers!

With jenks throwin over 100 and having slight control over his curveball, we dont need more pressure and stress put on him. Let Jenks close, hermy be setup. This can preserve hermy for the long run

soxinem1
03-01-2006, 07:49 PM

The thing that should worry us about Jenks is his bionic elbow. He put alot of stress on the piece of metal holding that elbow together last year.

Politte, Hermanson and Jenks all concern me. They each had significant drop off's in velocity last year. Politte wasn't any where near the same pitcher in the last 2/3rd's of the season. He still got guys out, but everything from his velocity to his approach changed. He relied too heavily on his 2 seamer and slider. Earlier in the year, when he was more effective, it was the 4 seamer and occasional slider.

I agree with you to an extent, but Bart has more history of effectiveness than Bobby J. He also does not have a surgically repaired arm. If Jenks had more history, then I'd agree with you more.

But these other guys I mentioned GAINED more as time went on. If Jenks gains weight when he needed to lose a little, I am inclined to believe he did nothing but sit around this off season, personal issues not withstanding.

We have to remember that this guy has had prior issues with dedication prior to coming here. Bob James in the mid 80's with the Sox and Pete Ladd with the Brewers come to mind when I see Bobby. I really hope I am wrong, but I am concerned.

I just don't want to see this guy show up and think he is going to be a star just by being on a World Series Champion, as he needs help against RH batters and holding runners. Hearing the Chicago media and ESPN ragging on this guy is not my desire this summer.....

The Critic
03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I gotta say, I LOVE threads like this!!
I feel like I'm at the bar and I'm hearing one conversation at our table and another entirely different conversation from the next table!
:D: