PDA

View Full Version : Dads, would you do this to your son?

Johnny Mostil
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11579036/:

Roger Clemens’ son took dad deep on the Rocket’s first pitch of spring training, crushing a trademark fastball over the left-field fence Monday.
“That was probably one of the harder fastballs I cut loose,” Roger Clemens said after throwing to Koby and other Houston Astros minor-leaguers. “He got my attention.”
Then the Rocket got Koby’s. The next time his oldest son came to the plate, Roger buzzed him high and tight with another fastball. The younger Clemens dodged the pitch, then smiled at his father.

StockdaleForVeep
02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
He's prob pelted his son with softballs in his youth, its "tough" love

HotelWhiteSox
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
He's prob pelted his son with softballs in his youth, its "tough" love

Actually on the ESPN interview, he said that he throws at him regularly. Wasn't that big a deal when seeing the pitch, was on purpose.

StockdaleForVeep
02-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Actually on the ESPN interview, he said that he throws at him regularly. Wasn't that big a deal when seeing the pitch, was on purpose.

Heh didnt clemens nearly bean bill belamy durin mtv rock and jock softball cuz bellamy was too busy doin interviews?

MUsoxfan
02-28-2006, 01:10 AM
That kid might grow to be a pretty damn good hitter. Anyone that's had the Rocket throwing him pitches for the last 10 years for BP certainly has an advantage.

Ron Karkovice
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
A funny quote from Clemens was "I've been throwing at him since Dad's Pitch League":redneck

Steelrod
02-28-2006, 04:21 AM
From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11579036/:
I would next throw him a yakker away!

SBSoxFan
02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm reminded of a Bob Uecker quote from Major League: "This guy threw at his own kid in a father/son game." :D:

pythons007
02-28-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm reminded of a Bob Uecker quote from Major League: "This guy threw at his own kid in a father/son game." :D:

I was gonna say that.

pythons007
02-28-2006, 12:45 PM

I was going to say that

oops.

Tekijawa
02-28-2006, 12:46 PM
In the long run it makes your son better. I would do it if I knew it would help my, future, son. You don't make it in athletics with people taking it easy on you. As long as both you and your son are able to understand that it's a game and you can leave it on the field then I'd support this. Who better to learn "the knocks" of professional baseball from than A future HOF like Roger!

Johnny Mostil
02-28-2006, 01:13 PM
In the long run it makes your son better. I would do it if I knew it would help my, future, son. You don't make it in athletics with people taking it easy on you. As long as both you and your son are able to understand that it's a game and you can leave it on the field then I'd support this. Who better to learn "the knocks" of professional baseball from than A future HOF like Roger!

I more or less agree with you. Neither I nor my father are very athletic, but he wouldn't take it easy on me at anything--e.g., chess, checkers, table tennis--when I was growing up. (When I was younger and he was teaching me a game, he would question me about a particular move to help me see all the consequences and circumstances, etc.) It did help me in the long run, though I sometimes did get annoyed at losing again and again.

As for Roger and Koby, I suppose I'd buzz one at my son if he showboated on the home run trot. Of course, my son would laugh at, rather than duck from, my "fast" ball . . .

ondafarm
02-28-2006, 01:21 PM
My dad was my coach one year in Little League. At our first practice, he took the mound to pitch and I was called third in to bat by the assistant coach. Before I was even in the batters box, he'd zinged one off my batting helmet. I collapsed to my knees and he kept pegging me with baseballs. After the fifth one, the assistant coach ran up and threw himself over me, which stopped it. He walked me to the dugout and as I was changing over to my glove, my dad saw that I was crying (I was eight.) He pegged me in the right cheekbone with a ball that rattled around the dugout and hit two other kids. I can still feel the exact spot where the ball hit to this day more than 30 years later. He came over to them and apologized for hitting them, not a word to me. One of them asked him why he was hitting me and he said that "Joey's dad can't sue me, cause I'm him." Well, it accomplished exactly what my dad wanted, he'd totally terrified every player on the team. After that, no one ever feared facing any pitcher in the league, no matter his reputation, everybody knew it could get a lot worse.

Needless to say, I did not catch a ride with my dad home from that practice.

Short answer: Can I believe Roger Clemens buzzing his son once? Absolutely.

Tekijawa
02-28-2006, 01:44 PM
My dad was my coach one year in Little League. At our first practice, he took the mound to pitch and I was called third in to bat by the assistant coach. Before I was even in the batters box, he'd zinged one off my batting helmet. I collapsed to my knees and he kept pegging me with baseballs. After the fifth one, the assistant coach ran up and threw himself over me, which stopped it. He walked me to the dugout and as I was changing over to my glove, my dad saw that I was crying (I was eight.) He pegged me in the right cheekbone with a ball that rattled around the dugout and hit two other kids. I can still feel the exact spot where the ball hit to this day more than 30 years later. He came over to them and apologized for hitting them, not a word to me. One of them asked him why he was hitting me and he said that "Joey's dad can't sue me, cause I'm him." Well, it accomplished exactly what my dad wanted, he'd totally terrified every player on the team. After that, no one ever feared facing any pitcher in the league, no matter his reputation, everybody knew it could get a lot worse.

That might be a little overboard, but in sports you won't know what you can do until you know your limits and then push those limits as far as you can. 5 strait beanballs to the head may be a little extreme, but I took about a thousand Elbows from our Athletic Director in Spring League games for basketball, after that I didn't fear any other players I EVER played against. Did they hurt at the time? YES! Do I understand the purpose of everyone of those blows now? Yes, and I appreciate every one of them.

It might not be good for every kid, but I think it would be good for many of them.

ondafarm
02-28-2006, 02:40 PM
That might be a little overboard, but in sports you won't know what you can do until you know your limits and then push those limits as far as you can. 5 strait beanballs to the head may be a little extreme . . .

Even my dad's not that mean. First one in the helmet, next ones were all body shots, one in the dugout was into my face.

SBSoxFan
02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
I was going to say that

oops.
You can say that again!:smile:

Tekijawa
02-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Even my dad's not that mean. First one in the helmet, next ones were all body shots, one in the dugout was into my face. Ryan Christenson wasn't on your team was he?

RichFitztightly
02-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I saw a former Sox player throw one high and tight to (who I assume was) his son one Sunday before anybody took this field. They were playing ball in left field at Comiskey and the kid hit a home run and posed for a bit. The next pitch went right towards the kid's head forcing him to hit the deck. The kid dodged the ball very easily and the pitch wasn't thrown too hard, but it was funny when I saw it.

StockdaleForVeep
02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Heh im reminded of simpsons

bart-hey u threw that at me!
homer-quit crowdin the plate!

WSox8404
03-01-2006, 12:05 PM

Well I could see myself throwing one at my son in the future to make him a little more fearless, but it certainly wouldn't be a real fast pitch nor would I do it more than once. Just enough to make him feel what it is like.

Railsplitter
03-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Early Wynn once said "I'd throw at my grandmother if she dug in on me"