PDA

View Full Version : May 22nd-24th, will you cheer or boo Frank?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Will you cheer or boo Frank Thomas when the Oakland A's come into town on May 22nd, 23rd, and 24th? Explain your answer if you can.

I'm hopefully going to the Monday night game, and I will be cheering for him. Not cheering for him to beat us, but I will acknowledge him in a positive way.

MarySwiss
02-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I plan to cheer him. I didn't like his grumpy side, but you have to give him his props. He was awesome for a long time.

rbeze09
02-27-2006, 05:44 PM
this is one of the games i was really looking 4ward to attending. I already have my tickets and i will def be cheering for the greatest player in white sox history. I am a little upset with what he has been saying, but it's obvious he loves chicago and he's just a little bitter about how things went down. The big hurt is my favorite player of all time so I will support him til the end. With that said, I will still be cheering for the sox to kick the **** out of the a's

Chisox003
02-27-2006, 05:47 PM
This is pretty pointless....isn't it?

MUsoxfan
02-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't see why he wouldn't get a nearly unanimous standing ovation. I have my tickets to two of the games already.

Of course we're doing alot of assuming when we say he'll not be on the DL

NSSoxFan
02-27-2006, 05:52 PM
These polls are starting to be a joke, come on...

HotelWhiteSox
02-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Cheer, these comments weren't anything out of the ordinary, I thought the dissing of Thome might've been worse. The only difference this time was Kenny responded and now we have this situation. He still is my memory of the White Sox, and was the nicest player I met on numerous occasions. Whatever his beef with Kenny or the media, he's still grateful to his fans. Should be full of electricty with the Flubs and A's coming in in that stretch.

cubhater
02-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Cheering all the way! I just got my tix for game one of the series. Granted Frank has put his foot in his mouth many times and we'll never know the truth about this latest childish soap opera between him and KW but that's no reason not to give the big man love when he returns.

TheDarkGundam
02-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Assuming he doesn't do anything really bad from now until then, I'll be cheering for him, as should everyone else at those games.

Hendu
02-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Cheer of course. He's the best player to put on a Sox uniform, ever. A few months of whining, along with some of the other bad PR over the years, will never overshadow the pure enjoyment of being able to watch the big guy for 16 years of my life.

I hope NOBODY here says that they'll boo him.

ChiSoxIn06
02-27-2006, 06:32 PM
up until about a week ago i would have said cheer...but now i will do neither...i wont boo him because of his past here but i will no longer cheer for such a selfish athlete.

JoeCrede4MVP06
02-27-2006, 06:40 PM
He is arguably the greatest Sox player ever. It would be downright wrong for anybody to boo that. He did put his foot in his mouth, but I will still react positively when he returns to the Cell, and I hope everybody else does the same.

vegyrex
02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Cheer. I'll never boo him.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I was going to select "cheer" but I am glad I read through all of the options.

Choice #3 is clearly the correct one.

102,564,792 WSI members cannot be wrong! :wink:

ilsox7
02-27-2006, 07:10 PM
How can you not cheer him? I'm no Frank lover, but when it comes to what he did on the field, you have to respect and cheer that. Everything else, for that moment, means little.

D. TODD
02-27-2006, 07:19 PM
No doubt standing ovation! I didn't get the people who led the semi-booing of Magglio, so this is a no brainer. Whatever comments are made or what business decisions come and go it doesn't detract from the time they spent on the field. Don't get me wrong Mags is no Frank, but I appreciate both players for their time with the Sox.

LongLiveFisk
02-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I am going to cheer for him. I don't like the way things have ended, but I am going to remember all the positive memories and the times I met him and he was nice to me. He really was great to the fans. :D:

gbergman
02-27-2006, 08:20 PM
i put down boo based on the fact i want to be different then 100 million wsiers and i cant go so.

fusillirob1983
02-27-2006, 08:22 PM
I'll cheer him if I end up getting tickets to one of those games.

gobears1987
02-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Anyone who boos him is no longer a Sox fan.

delben91
02-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Man, glad I chose option 3. Would've been embarassing to choose the categories that are over 100 million votes behind. :tongue:

JohnBasedowYoda
02-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Meh, I usually go to the Men's Room while the other team bats.

rdivaldi
02-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Anyone who boos him is no longer a Sox fan.

???

While I certainly wouldn't boo him (in his first at bat), what is the logic behind your statement? Frank has alienated quite a bit of people during his career and considering all of the crap he's been talking lately it would be safe to assume that a few true Sox fans will boo him. It doesn't make you less of a fan...

oeo
02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
I wonder if this poll was fixed.

But seriously, after all he's done for the organization there is no way you cannot cheer for him. He better get the biggest and longest standing ovation of all time...he deserves it.

gobears1987
02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Let me just say that the 7 people who voted boo, you guys are morons. You belong on the Cubune's boards, not WSI. Frank Thomas was the White Sox for 15 years. I know why KW had to let him go, but he still should've been treated better on his departure. I side 100% with Frank. If it wasn't for him hitting a HR during the first game I saw when I was 5 years old back in 1993, I wouldn't have become a Sox fan.

I like KW and JR, but this organization has a nack for screwing franchise players. (See Fisk, Carlton.)

Foulke You
02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Anyone who sat through the Bevington era can agree that during that time, Frank Thomas was about the only source of pride that our team had and the only thing to cheer for. I will most definitely give him cheers...right before Freddy Garcia strikes him out.:cool:

soxfan26
02-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I plan to cheer him. I didn't like his grumpy side, but you have to give him his props. He was awesome for a long time.

My sentiments exactly. At the end of the day he's the greatest hitter I've ever seen in a Sox uniform.

ChiSoxGirl
02-27-2006, 10:13 PM
No matter how we feel right now after the ongoing spat in the media between Frank & KW, as die-hard Sox fans, we have to take a step back and look at the big picture. We need to focus on all the good he brought to our beloved Sox when times were rough, i.e. we had managers like Bevington and Manuel! The career numbers he established during the 16 years he played here aren't to be disputed and when I'm at Core of the Core II on May 22, I'll give the greatest player to ever wear a Sox uniform a standing ovation and will show my appreciation for the fantastic career he had.

spiffie
02-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Meh, I usually go to the Men's Room while the other team bats.
You hit the bathroom nine times a game? Have you talked to a doctor about this? :tongue:

TomBradley72
02-27-2006, 10:41 PM
He won't be playing....he'll break down physically between now and then...

WhiteSoxFan84
02-27-2006, 10:43 PM
15% of the real votes have gone towards Booing him. I only wish this poll wasn't messed with so we can see the real results. This is pretty interesting.

NSSoxFan
02-27-2006, 11:13 PM
15% of the real votes have gone towards Booing him. I only wish this poll wasn't messed with so we can see the real results. This is pretty interesting.

Yea, interesting for complete idiots. Get a clue.

wsox3505
02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
worst thread ever

WhiteSoxFan84
02-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Yea, interesting for complete idiots. Get a clue.

Very mature comment. How long did it take you to put that post together?

If so many of you think this is a dumbass thread, mods, feel free to take it down. I just thought it would be a good topic to debate while Thomas is giving the White Sox so much BS. I said from the beginning I'll always love the Big Hurt, as a player, and would cheer for him. Just wanted to know if anyone was starting to change their opinions about him, that's all. I sure as hell didn't want to be referred to as an idiot.

NSSoxFan
02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Very mature comment. How long did it take you to put that post together?

If so many of you think this is a dumbass thread, mods, feel free to take it down. I just thought it would be a good topic to debate while Thomas is giving the White Sox so much BS. I said from the beginning I'll always love the Big Hurt, as a player, and would cheer for him. Just wanted to know if anyone was starting to change their opinions about him, that's all. I sure as hell didn't want to be referred to as an idiot.

Yes, it must mean I am not a mature person. Ouch.

Anyways, I would think that you would be smarter about this subject, especially since you are 21, which would hopefully mean you've been following the Sox for a while. Now, I'm not sure exactly when you started following them, like really following them. Your poll seems to point me in the direction that you have only really been paying attention to the White Sox for a short amount of time. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who has followed the Sox since Frank came up, know what he means to the Sox and how he set the standard in the 90's for hitters in MLB.

I'm a bit younger than you, but I've been really following the Sox for about 13 years now. There will never be a player that deserves this poll less than Frank Thomas. And if you can't see that, then I feel sorry for you. You missed one of the greatest bats of all time.

Polls like this make me think that you can't distinguish between a Magglio Ordonez and Frank Thomas.

Steelrod
02-28-2006, 04:28 AM
I hope to cheer him loudly with respect to the past as he returns to the dugout after striking out and complaining to the umpire that it was a ball!

ChiSoxIn06
02-28-2006, 05:19 AM
Ok after reading through this whole thread I have noticed a few things. First, I am dumbfounded how some many people can sit back and embrace Frank still. It's the equivilent of you having a best friend for 15 years and then when it's time to start a new life he comes up to you and punches you in the face. Like I said before, I will not boo him for the simple fact that in his prime (which is at least 6 years ago lets not forget) Frank was one of the best hitters in the game. But for someone to have such disrespect and to be so delusional to an organization that has embraced him for pretty much his whole career, that I can not appreciate and in result will not cheer him. Do I still like Frank? Of course, but until he learns to just shut his mouth and play his game (like he did in his prime) he will get no cheers from me because maybe if enough people make him re-earn our respect maybe then he will return to the Frank that we all knew and loved.

sullythered
02-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Frank Thomas has always exhibited a total inability to speak publicly without putting his foot in his mouth, relate to the common man, or understand why something he said was wrong. He has a sense of self-entitlement that is up there with some of the worst in pro sports. Though most would agree that he is probably a pretty nice guy, down deep, he is so socially awkward that he can never completely convey his feelings without coming of as almost comically harsh. The behavior he has exhibited since his departure from the White Sox has been reprehensible, but not anything different from what we should expect.

All that being said, when Frank Thomas returns to Sox Park I will stand and cheer with as much feeling as I would have were it 1993. The man is the greatest hitter to ever put on the uniform of the team I love the most, and he has brought me more years of joy than any other baseball player.

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 10:45 AM
This thread has now shown that we have 12 total dumbasses on this board.

If you do not stand and cheer for Frank, then you have no business rooting for the Chicago White Sox. The media is blowing this out of proportion. Congrats you guys. You 15 people are tools of the Cubune's attempts to demonize Frank. You should leave WSI and register at northsidebaseball.com.

If it wasn't for Frank Thomas, I could've very easily become a Tigers fan growing up in SE Michigan. I may have even become a Cubs fan. Frank Thomas is the Chicago White Sox. Even today when I think of the Sox, I think of Frank Thomas. My best memories of watching the Sox play live all come from Frank Thomas at bats.

He is the best pure hitter since Ted Williams. No one can match Frank's eye. And Frank's power could've been the best in the league if others didn't use steroids and cheat to hit more than him. I mean we are talking abouta 3 time MVP. Imagine the Bevington era or Manuel era without Frank Thomas.

Too bad the mods can't ban people for being dumbasses.

skottyj242
02-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Sub question, how long of a standing ovation does he get? I'll still be clapping two batters later.

ilsox7
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM

If you do not stand and cheer for Frank, then you have no business rooting for the Chicago White Sox. The media is blowing this out of proportion. Congrats you guys. You 15 people are tools of the Cubune's attempts to demonize Frank. You should leave WSI and register at northsidebaseball.com.

If it wasn't for Frank Thomas, I could've very easily become a Tigers fan growing up in SE Michigan. I may have even become a Cubs fan. Frank Thomas is the Chicago White Sox. Even today when I think of the Sox, I think of Frank Thomas. My best memories of watching the Sox play live all come from Frank Thomas at bats.

He is the best pure hitter since Ted Williams. No one can match Frank's eye. And Frank's power could've been the best in the league if others didn't use steroids and cheat to hit more than him. I mean we are talking abouta 3 time MVP. Imagine the Bevington era or Manuel era without Frank Thomas.

While I agree with your general point, I just wanted to point out that Frank Thomas is not the Chicago White Sox. He might be to you, but to plenty of us, the Sox are more than just one player. Also, many of us had players who were more favored than Frank Thomas.

Chicago
02-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I will stand and cheer. His personal business is his business not ours. We don't know how he feels or how everything really went down between him and the organization. This just fuels what the other members have already said about the mediots. All I know is that he was one of the greats to ever wear a White Sox uniform. He has given me great memories as a Sox fan. For that, I will stand and cheer for the Big Hurt Frank Thomas.

ChiSoxIn06
02-28-2006, 02:41 PM

OK let's do some math...How many world series titles did the sox win when Frank was in his prime and "was the chicago white sox" as you believe? And how many have they won playing as a TEAM with no individual, ego-filled superstars? Not many but for now it is one more than Frank can take credit for. In other words the numbers don't mean a damn thing if you don't give a crap about your teammates and are unwilling to play the game as a TEAM as the Sox did in 2005.

spiffie
02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
OK let's do some math...How many world series titles did the sox win when Frank was in his prime and "was the chicago white sox" as you believe? And how many have they won playing as a TEAM with no individual, ego-filled superstars? Not many but for now it is one more than Frank can take credit for. In other words the numbers don't mean a damn thing if you don't give a crap about your teammates and are unwilling to play the game as a TEAM as the Sox did in 2005.
Funny...seemed like this team had one of their best stretches when Thomas was in the lineup. Somehow they became a better TEAM with him than they were without him.

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
OK let's do some math...How many world series titles did the sox win when Frank was in his prime and "was the chicago white sox" as you believe? And how many have they won playing as a TEAM with no individual, ego-filled superstars? Not many but for now it is one more than Frank can take credit for. In other words the numbers don't mean a damn thing if you don't give a crap about your teammates and are unwilling to play the game as a TEAM as the Sox did in 2005.If you knew anything about the Sox, you would know that Frank was on the verge of leading the team to a World Series in 1994 when MLB went on strike. Frank was also on track for 60 homers. Judging by your bashing of Frank I'd guess you're a fairweather fan.

I honestly don't get the bashing of Frank. The idiots on this board who are doing it are nothing but tools of the Cubune. Frank is not a selfish player. If he were so selfish, he would've left the Sox to get more money from another team when they put the "diminishing skills" clause in his contract. Magglio was selfish. Frank Thomas just loves the Sox and wanted to end his career on the team he started. Any player who does that isn't selfish. The selfish player is the one who leaves his team for more money.

Frank Thomas was the White Sox. He didn't want to be the face of the team, but he had no choice. In the Bevington era, there was no one else putting up numbers. Frank is the only thing the team had going for it. Every franchise has 1 player that defines it. Frank Thomas is that player for the Sox.

ChiSoxIn06
02-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Fair weather fan? I think not. I have been following the Sox since I was 8 years old. And as far as the whole strike shortened year goes, correct me if I am wrong but the Sox were only 3.5 games up in the standings when the strike went through. I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying about Frank. I respect everything that he has done. He is the most prolific hitter in Sox history. But over the last 5 years he has tainted that with his dog**** attitude. I hope he gets his 500 HRs and gets into the hall of fame. But I am glad that he is no longer in the Sox organization because he no longer fits with the team. And as far as the sox being the best when Frank was in the lineup I disagree. Yes he hit 12 Hrs but he hit under 220 for gods sake and he hasn't hit over 300 in 6 years. And finally I just want to say that as far as the Bevington era goes, just because you have a horrid manager on your team doesn't give you a reason to be complete *******. I adored Frank growing up and watching him play as my favorite player but to continue to show praise to someone with such arrogance is foolish. If that makes me an idiot so be it. And just for the record anyone who accuses another sox fan of being brainwashed by the "cubune" is not a true sox fan in my book.

Beer Can Chicken
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I'll cheer him. But I also have a feeling he'll be on the DL by that point so we won't have the option.

Beer Can Chicken
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Considering his debut is Monday night, aka Amateur Night, I wont be surprised if the stadium starts chanting "Cubs Suck" when Thomas takes his first at bat.
It will be the true test of Amateur Night to see what happens when he hits a HR. Will the idiots throw it back? Will they keep it? Stay Tuned!

MarySwiss
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
[Begin rant]Sheesh! What the hell is going on here?

I am solidly in the group that plans to cheer Frank, but what's with all the hostility toward those who don't feel that they can? And it would be nice if people--for once--tried to avoid the whole tired "If (fill in the blank), then you are not a true Sox fan" generalization. A true Sox fan is someone who honestly believes that he or she is a true Sox fan. That's all it takes. It's not like you have to pass an entrance exam or something.

And if a person believes he or she is a true Sox fan and cannot in good conscience cheer for Frank, you don't have to agree with them. But that does not necessarily make them a moron, in my book.

Another thing: just because you don't find a poll or a discusssion interesting, that doesn't mean others don't. I for one find this discussion interesting--for the most part. Too bad it has to be tainted by all the crap.

BTW, one of the mods can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that they DO have the power to ban "dumbasses."[/rant over]

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Considering his debut is Monday night, aka Amateur Night, I wont be surprised if the stadium starts chanting "Cubs Suck" when Thomas takes his first at bat.
It will be the true test of Amateur Night to see what happens when he hits a HR. Will the idiots throw it back? Will they keep it? Stay Tuned!Don't worry about that. Die hard fans will suck up all of the tickets before the idiot walkups can get them.

Steelrod
02-28-2006, 06:08 PM

I am solidly in the group that plans to cheer Frank, but what's with all the hostility toward those who don't feel that they can? And it would be nice if people--for once--tried to avoid the whole tired "If (fill in the blank), then you are not a true Sox fan" generalization. A true Sox fan is someone who honestly believes that he or she is a true Sox fan. Thay's all it takes. It's not like you have to pass an entrance exam or something.

And if a person believes he or she is a true Sox fan and cannot in good conscience cheer for Frank, you don't have to agree with them. But that does not necessarily make them a moron, in my book.

Another thing: just because you don't find a poll or a discusssion interesting, that doesn't mean others don't. I for one find this discussion interesting--for the most part. Too bad it has to be tainted by all the crap.

BTW, one of the mods can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that they DO have the power to ban "dumbasses."[/rant over]
Totally agree even though I will probably not cheer him when he comes up., that being my perogative. Would prefer to respect him after the at-bat. Frank is now an opponent. Those of you that think I am wrong are entitled to your opinion, but so am I.
If your son was pitching against Frank, would you root him on?
All the Sox are my kids!

Dan Mega
02-28-2006, 06:13 PM

I am solidly in the group that plans to cheer Frank, but what's with all the hostility toward those who don't feel that they can? And it would be nice if people--for once--tried to avoid the whole tired "If (fill in the blank), then you are not a true Sox fan" generalization. A true Sox fan is someone who honestly believes that he or she is a true Sox fan. Thay's all it takes. It's not like you have to pass an entrance exam or something.

Very well said. You took the words out of under me. Too often you run into people that think if someone else shares an opinion different from theirs, they are a moron. I hate it.

I'll be cheering for Big Frank.

Hendu
02-28-2006, 06:28 PM
First, I am dumbfounded how some many people can sit back and embrace Frank still. It's the equivilent of you having a best friend for 15 years and then when it's time to start a new life he comes up to you and punches you in the face. Like I said before, I will not boo him for the simple fact that in his prime (which is at least 6 years ago lets not forget) Frank was one of the best hitters in the game. But for someone to have such disrespect and to be so delusional to an organization that has embraced him for pretty much his whole career, that I can not appreciate and in result will not cheer him. Do I still like Frank? Of course, but until he learns to just shut his mouth and play his game (like he did in his prime) he will get no cheers from me because maybe if enough people make him re-earn our respect maybe then he will return to the Frank that we all knew and loved.

Frank was forced out; it's not like he turned down an offer and bitched about it afterwards. He wanted to stay and end his career here. He was willing to take a huge pay cut apparently. He has a right to be a little bitter, even if it was ultimately the right decision by KW.

But I guarantee anyone that boos Frank or doesn't get a tear in their eye when (if) he comes to bat again will regret it 10, 20 years down the road when all this b.s has blown over and you're telling your kids (or grandkids) about how lucky you were to give the best Sox player ever a proper send-off. When people only remember the plays on the highlight reels, not this meaningless soap opera.

What Frank has done and said is no worse than Pippen's refusing to take the floor for Kukoc's shot, or all the bitching he did about the Bulls after he went to Portland. Look how that turned out in the end though. With Frank and his injuries on the other hand, this may be the only homecoming we get.

thomas35forever
02-28-2006, 07:56 PM
I've said this already and I'll say it again: If you boo the greatest player in White Sox history, then you don't deserve to be called a Sox fan. I'm surprised this series isn't sold out.

NSSoxFan
02-28-2006, 08:04 PM
I've said this already and I'll say it again: If you boo the greatest player in White Sox history, then you don't deserve to be called a Sox fan. I'm surprised this series isn't sold out.

What he said.

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I've said this already and I'll say it again: If you boo the greatest player in White Sox history, then you don't deserve to be called a Sox fan. I'm surprised this series isn't sold out.Thank God someone else agrees. If you boo Frank Thomas, please take a trip 8.1 miles North. You don't deserve to sit in a seat that could be used by a true Sox fan.

NSSoxFan
02-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Thank God someone else agrees. If you boo Frank Thomas, please take a trip 8.1 miles North. You don't deserve to sit in a seat that could be used by a true Sox fan.

No, but it's interesting to see idiots reveal themselves.

Deebs14
02-28-2006, 08:34 PM
He's my favorite player to put on a jersey in ANY sport! So I will certainly cheer for him regardless of where I'm at during that series.

SOXSINCE'70
02-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I'll give him a standing ovation and cheer.I just won't go too crazy.
I don't want to see him take any Sox pitcher out of the park.
If, however, a home run off his bat (or even a foul ball) were to
land in my lap,i'd probably give it to a younger fan and tell them
"I remember when he could hit to right and right center field
and scare the daylights out of the opposition".:cool:

TaylorStSox
02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Ok after reading through this whole thread I have noticed a few things. First, I am dumbfounded how some many people can sit back and embrace Frank still. It's the equivilent of you having a best friend for 15 years and then when it's time to start a new life he comes up to you and punches you in the face. Like I said before, I will not boo him for the simple fact that in his prime (which is at least 6 years ago lets not forget) Frank was one of the best hitters in the game. But for someone to have such disrespect and to be so delusional to an organization that has embraced him for pretty much his whole career, that I can not appreciate and in result will not cheer him. Do I still like Frank? Of course, but until he learns to just shut his mouth and play his game (like he did in his prime) he will get no cheers from me because maybe if enough people make him re-earn our respect maybe then he will return to the Frank that we all knew and loved.

You've helped prove a theory of mine. Anybody with anything Cubs related in their sig is a joke. That is all.

I'll cheer for Frank Thomas until the day he stops playing ball. I wish him the best of luck.

Frank didn't "punch any of us in the face." He has a dispute with a former boss. Wow. That's such a slap in the face to Sox fans. :rolleyes:

gobears1987
02-28-2006, 10:44 PM
If anyone has been "punched in the face" here, it is Frank. He wanted to do everything to stay here. Few players would put up with the contractual crap Frank has put up with to stay in 1 city. Most players would give an organization the finger after a "declining abilities" clause. Frank stayed with the Sox and deserves respect.

I will loudly applaud Frank like I did when I was at his May 30th return last season. If you feel differently, then you should start rooting for another team.

Beer Can Chicken
02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Cubs fans can say the EXACT same thing about Sosa. There is a difference between blind loyalty and loyalty.

I love Frank Thomas and I WONT boo him but at the same time I have every right to boo him.

ChiSoxIn06
03-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Cubs fans can say the EXACT same thing about Sosa. There is a difference between blind loyalty and loyalty.

I love Frank Thomas and I WONT boo him but at the same time I have every right to boo him.

I could not have said it better myself.

Hendu
03-01-2006, 09:51 AM

Let's see...been caught cheating red-handed? Nope. Suspected of using roids? Nope. Left the final game of the season without permission? Nope. Got paid 17 mil just to go away? Nope. Wow, what an astute comparison between Sosa and Frank.

This isn't a case of blind loyalty...it's a case of not being short-sighted, looking at the big picture and not allowing the anti-Frank media to manipulate us. This is a franchise that has been around for over a hundred years, and we're talking about booing the best player ever to put on the uniform? For the unforgivable crime of bitching about the way that he was let go.

If anyone wants to boo Frank, fine. But some day in the future you will look back on it and be embarrassed. Because Frank will be a part of this organization in the future. If you don't believe that a player who left on bad terms has ever come back, see: 1. Guillen, Ozzie. 2. Pippen, Scottie 3. (possibly) Clemens, Roger.

gobears1987
03-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Just one request of mine. If you plan on booing the one man who got the Sox through the horrible era that was the 1990s, please stay away from USCF. Frank Thomas is the player that best represents the Sox. He is by far the best player to ever put on a White Sox uniform. He is a 3 time MVP. If you want to boo him, then you obviously aren't a Sox fan. You are nothing but a tool of the Cub media empire that has spent the last decade demonizing him. Too bad Voodoo can't hand out bans to the 18 sheep who voted to boo him.

NSSoxFan
03-01-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree with gobears.

If you have any thoughts of booing Big Frank, do us all a favor and stay away from the Park for those three days in May. I don't care what anyone says, no true Sox fan would even think about booing Frank. Disagree with him for what he does off the field, but there is NOTHING you can say negatively about him on the field. It's sad to see so many WSI'ers fall into the trap of the mediots.

Remember, you're not a true Sox fan if you boo Frank.

ChiSoxIn06
03-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Just one request of mine. If you plan on booing the one man who got the Sox through the horrible era that was the 1990s, please stay away from USCF. Frank Thomas is the player that best represents the Sox. He is by far the best player to ever put on a White Sox uniform. He is a 3 time MVP. If you want to boo him, then you obviously aren't a Sox fan. You are nothing but a tool of the Cub media empire that has spent the last decade demonizing him. Too bad Voodoo can't hand out bans to the 18 sheep who voted to boo him.

To respond to the bolded part of the statement, anyone who uses the "cubune" to classify a sox fan is a moron. stop using it as a reason to argure against people who chose to boo Frank. Just because I don't approve of Frank anymore doesn't put my loyalty to the sox as a TEAM in doubt. If you want to cheer him so much why don't you become an Oakland fan.

fquaye149
03-01-2006, 03:12 PM

I am solidly in the group that plans to cheer Frank, but what's with all the hostility toward those who don't feel that they can? And it would be nice if people--for once--tried to avoid the whole tired "If (fill in the blank), then you are not a true Sox fan" generalization. A true Sox fan is someone who honestly believes that he or she is a true Sox fan. That's all it takes. It's not like you have to pass an entrance exam or something.

Look at it this way Mary: What if Paulie had signed with Boston this season for a little more than what Kenny offered him. He would have been completely within his rights to do so. What if after that he said something like "This is the greatest team atmosphere I've ever been in, I really respect Francona," etc.

And what if people here started saying that they were going to boo him when he came to town. How would you feel about that?

I know if I said that you'd give me **** for it.

Face it: A lot of people here feel about Frank the way you feel about Konerko and there's a lot more reason to associate Sox fandom, especially in the last 15 years, with Frank than with Paulie.

I wouldn't say you're a moron if you boo him, but I have to severely question your motives when a man who gave 15 years of outstanding service to your favorite team comes to town and you can't show him the respect he deserves.

And personally I'm getting a little sick and tired of seeing people who so hotly question the Tribune's influence regarding the Cubs turn such a blind eye to their obvious manipulation of Frank and his relationship to the city.

It's a little stupefying to see the sheep line up like lemmings at the edge of a cliff.

voodoochile
03-01-2006, 03:25 PM
To respond to the bolded part of the statement, anyone who uses the "cubune" to classify a sox fan is a moron. stop using it as a reason to argure against people who chose to boo Frank. Just because I don't approve of Frank anymore doesn't put my loyalty to the sox as a TEAM in doubt. If you want to cheer him so much why don't you become an Oakland fan.

Okay, you're loyal to the team, doesn't make you anything special. Everyone here is. The ability to see long term perspectives and decide not to boo a guy who is the greatest hitter/player in team history in his first trip back to the ballpark seems to be a different level of fandom that maybe you just don't grasp.

But, you can continue to live large on the bull**** the newspaper that owns the local competition is feeding you if you so desire...

Personally, I just don't get it...

MarySwiss
03-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Look at it this way Mary: What if Paulie had signed with Boston this season for a little more than what Kenny offered him. He would have been completely within his rights to do so. What if after that he said something like "This is the greatest team atmosphere I've ever been in, I really respect Francona," etc.

And what if people here started saying that they were going to boo him when he came to town. How would you feel about that?

I know if I said that you'd give me **** for it.

Face it: A lot of people here feel about Frank the way you feel about Konerko and there's a lot more reason to associate Sox fandom, especially in the last 15 years, with Frank than with Paulie.

I wouldn't say you're a moron if you boo him, but I have to severely question your motives when a man who gave 15 years of outstanding service to your favorite team comes to town and you can't show him the respect he deserves.

And personally I'm getting a little sick and tired of seeing people who so hotly question the Tribune's influence regarding the Cubs turn such a blind eye to their obvious manipulation of Frank and his relationship to the city.

It's a little stupefying to see the sheep line up like lemmings at the edge of a cliff.

I see your point, Fquaye--and you're damn straight I'd give you **** if you said you were going to boo Paulie! However, take another look at my post. Obviously it's way past time to draw an important distinction--that between those who plan to boo Frank and those who just don't feel they can cheer him. In fact, the poster who's taking most of the abuse here has said he or she will not boo him, (s)he just won't cheer for him. I plan to cheer for him, and I really hope no one boos him. But what I'm saying is that if someone cannot find it in themselves to cheer him, that does not in and of itself make that person a "moron" or an "idiot" or mean that person should forfeit all rights to cheer for his or her team. And as far as anyone who DOES boo Frank, I'll be sorry to see it, but I don't believe that someone else has the right to arbitrarily decide that anyone is not a true Sox fan based on the fact that that "anyone" doesn't agree with them.

So back to your original point--if you decided to boo Paulie, sure, I'd jump your ass for it. But if you just refused to cheer for him, I'd probably merely question your sanity. :wink:

ChiSoxIn06
03-01-2006, 03:42 PM
But, you can continue to live large on the bull**** the newspaper that owns the local competition is feeding you if you so desire...

Personally, I just don't get it...

Just an FYI...I don't read the Tribune. I read the Sun-times, not that it matters. And I still love how people are giving me **** saything that I am a moron for questioning to boo or cheer and as of right now I will do neither. But if it was anyone OTHER than Frank I would be the first in line to boo.

NSSoxFan
03-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Just an FYI...I don't read the Tribune. I read the Sun-times, not that it matters. And I still love how people are giving me **** saything that I am a moron for questioning to boo or cheer and as of right now I will do neither. But if it was anyone OTHER than Frank I would be the first in line to boo.

You're right, it doesn't matter. It's just like saying, I don't eat this kind of ****, I eat this ****.

ChiSoxIn06
03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
You're right, it doesn't matter. It's just like saying, I don't eat this kind of ****, I eat this ****.

And what do you read? The New Yorker? Or is it the Wall Street Journal?

chisoxlove
03-01-2006, 09:07 PM
After thinking about this for a while, I've realized that this a more difficult question that I first thought. Here's why:

It is difficult to separate Frank Thomas the person from Frank Thomas the player.

I certainly consider myself a "True Sox Fan", as I have closely following my favorite squad for over 20 years.

For as long as I can remember, I have not liked Frank Thomas. When he played for us, I was ALWAYS excited when he came to the plate, I ALWAYS cheered for him, and I ALWAYS recognized and appreciated appreciated the fact that he was our most valuable player. I saw the guy hit 3 grand slams (live) before I was even 16, and I loved every minute of it. Plain and simple, he rocked.

However, I never liked him (even as a child), and I never respected the way he carried himself or the way he treated people. He often (but not always) took the "low road" when it came to clubhouse/media/public affairs. He was clearly arrogant and self-centered as a person; two traits which (I think we can all agree) suck. If that makes me any less a Sox fan, fine with me.

Regardless of how he played the game or what he did for the Sox organization, I will never respect Frank Thomas as a person. As far as a baseball player and a Sox legend, I will respect him forever.

My favorite Sox game memory (as a kid) was the game when Harold Baines first returned to Comiskey: Thunderous applause, signs everywhere ("BOOM BAINES"), and a feeling that the crowd was "giving back" to one of their own.
I wonder if I'll cheer like that (or feel like that) upon Frank's return. I won't know for sure until I'm there. If it's a totally different feel, that's sad.

Such a player, such an attitude.

BeviBall!
03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I plan to be getting a plate of nachos at the time. You can't hate on his game, but his attitude has put me off for close to 10 years now. Crazy Carl will get a louder ovation from me when the M's come a-calling.

In time, I think I'll come around... but for now, he wears Green & Gold and the A's are my most hated team. All things considered... he'll get a standing ovation the first time up. After that, it's all business.

soxjim
03-01-2006, 09:46 PM
The first time to the plate I will cheer for him. After that nothing.

Hendu
03-01-2006, 11:18 PM
If you want to cheer him so much why don't you become an Oakland fan.
Capacity crowds at the UC were able to cheer Jordan without becoming Wizards fans. Most baseball fans were also able to cheer Cal Ripken Jr without becoming Orioles fans.

I'll always love and respect Frank. I mean it's not like Frank ripped on Sox fans, screwed over the organization, killed or raped somebody. He's just been misunderstood because he has problems handling the media (see the guy in my sig for another example of a great but misunderstood player). There won't be many chances left to watch him hit, so I'll be there cheering like crazy and hoping he hits a solo bomb in a 10-1 Sox victory.

Layla
03-02-2006, 09:58 AM
I have been on many boards and always find it amusing how someone will say "if you do or don't do this, you are not a true fan of ______________."

How does one define true fan for the White Sox? Years? How many games attended? How many momentos purchased? And who are you to decide the factors?

gobears1987
03-02-2006, 10:25 AM
You judge the true fan based on what they know about the franchise. The true fan would know enough about Frank Thomas not to boo him when he comes back. The true fan would know he is a 3 time MVP and worthy of respect. The true fan would know that Frank Thomas didn't voluntarily leave the franchise. The true fan would know Frank has put with crap for years like the "declining abilities" clause in his contract. The true fan would know Frank had ample other opportunities to make more money elsewhere, but he decided to be loyal to the city and the fans. The true fan would know that Frank Thomas is our franchise player, and YOU DON'T BOO THE MAN WHO WAS YOUR FRANCHISE PLAYER!!!!

If you think that fans should boo him, then you are nothing but a :dumbass:

If that is the case, go 8.1 miles north. You will be in good company with the "fans" there.

voodoochile
03-02-2006, 10:55 AM
I have been on many boards and always find it amusing how someone will say "if you do or don't do this, you are not a true fan of ______________."

How does one define true fan for the White Sox? Years? How many games attended? How many momentos purchased? And who are you to decide the factors?

We're fans. Fans are allowed to have opinions on what makes a true fan. Doesn't make them right, but then again, that's why they call them opinions...

Layla
03-02-2006, 11:14 AM
We're fans. Fans are allowed to have opinions on what makes a true fan. Doesn't make them right, but then again, that's why they call them opinions...

I totally agree.

That's why they're like bellybuttons - everybody has one.

For the sake of argument, let's say Joe thinks a true fan would go to all weekend games, no matter what.

However, John works every Saturday. He can't go to all weekend games.

According to Joe's standard, John is not a true fan.

And that's why I have a problem with term true fan.

voodoochile
03-02-2006, 11:18 AM
I totally agree.

That's why they're like bellybuttons - everybody has one.

For the sake of argument, let's say Joe thinks a true fan would go to all weekend games, no matter what.

However, John works every Saturday. He can't go to all weekend games.

According to Joe's standard, John is not a true fan.

And that's why I have a problem with term true fan.

I think this is a bit different. I hesitate to throw around the term true fan because people over use it. So to some extent I agree.

Here we are talking about the greatest player in team history and almost everyone on these forums got to see his entire career.

Why would anyone boo that player? :?:

Layla
03-02-2006, 11:22 AM
You judge the true fan based on what they know about the franchise. The true fan would know enough about Frank Thomas not to boo him when he comes back. The true fan would know he is a 3 time MVP and worthy of respect. The true fan would know that Frank Thomas didn't voluntarily leave the franchise. The true fan would know Frank has put with crap for years like the "declining abilities" clause in his contract. The true fan would know Frank had ample other opportunities to make more money elsewhere, but he decided to be loyal to the city and the fans. The true fan would know that Frank Thomas is our franchise player, and YOU DON'T BOO THE MAN WHO WAS YOUR FRANCHISE PLAYER!!!!

If you think that fans should boo him, then you are nothing but a :dumbass:

If that is the case, go 8.1 miles north. You will be in good company with the "fans" there.

Not once did I say anyone should boo, cheer, go to the bathroom, get a beer, or do anything. So I take exception to being called a dumbass and being told to go 8.1 miles north.

I asked a question. You have decided to answer it. Not once in my post did I insult you in any way, shape, or form.

Layla
03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I think this is a bit different. I hesitate to throw around the term true fan because people over use it. So to some extent I agree.

Here we are talking about the greatest player in team history and almost everyone on these forums got to see his entire career.

Why would anyone boo that player? :?:

See, I would have to place Luis Aparicio before Frank. But again, that's just my opinion.:D:

I am not going to the games, so I can only guess why some people might decide not to cheer. First, (and again, this is only an opinion) they might feel cheering a player on another team is wrong. Doesn't matter who.

Second, that might have respect for the player, but not the person. So to them cheering again would feel wrong.

These are only uneducated guesses. My problem is term of true fan. I've seen it on too many boards that I have visited and have always thought it sounded way too judgemental.

voodoochile
03-02-2006, 11:29 AM
See, I would have to place Luis Aparicio before Frank. But again, that's just my opinion.:D:

I am not going to the games, so I can only guess why some people might decide not to cheer. First, (and again, this is only an opinion) they might feel cheering a player on another team is wrong. Doesn't matter who.

Second, that might have respect for the player, but not the person. So to them cheering again would feel wrong.

These are only uneducated guesses. My problem is term of true fan. I've seen it on too many boards that I have visited and have always thought it sounded way too judgemental.

Others would say Nellie Fox or Billy Pierce or any number of other players from team history. Any way you slice it Frank has to be listed in the top 5 and most people would put him top two minimum depending on who they liked from past teams.

How would you feel if someone said they were going to boo Luis for whatever reason?

gobears1987
03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Not once did I say anyone should boo, cheer, go to the bathroom, get a beer, or do anything. So I take exception to being called a dumbass and being told to go 8.1 miles north.

I asked a question. You have decided to answer it. Not once in my post did I insult you in any way, shape, or form.Did I name you? NO. I didn't call you a dumbass. I do think that those who think Frank Thomas should be booed are dumbasses.

I was merely answering your question on how I judge a true fan. I don't judge based on money spent going to games because not everyone can do it. A fair way to judge a fan is based on knowledge about the team. That is the difference between a bandwagon fan and a true one. A true fan would have enough knowledge about the Sox not to boo Frank.

Layla
03-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Others would say Nellie Fox or Billy Pierce or any number of other players from team history. Any way you slice it Frank has to be listed in the top 5 and most people would put him top two minimum depending on who they liked from past teams.

How would you feel if someone said they were going to boo Luis for whatever reason?

I agree with Frank being in the top 5 players of team history.

Truthfully, I don't have any emotional tie to any player. Now don't get me wrong. I have had my favorite players over the years (and I'm 47 so we're talking about a long time).

A better example to ask me would be Mark Buehrle. My favorite player right now for so many reasons. So, if this situation happened years from with him
I admit I would question them "how could you ignore what this man did for all those years? Don't you remember the World Series in 05 when he saved started game 2 and saved game 3? This was the guy who was willing to pitch the 10th inning in the ALCS. Are you friggin' nuts?" That would cover it.

But, again, I am just having a hard time with the true fan thing. Just a bone of contention with me. I hate that phrase, it's overused as you said, and way out of line.

Again, just my opinion:D:

voodoochile
03-02-2006, 11:44 AM
I agree with Frank being in the top 5 players of team history.

Truthfully, I don't have any emotional tie to any player. Now don't get me wrong. I have had my favorite players over the years (and I'm 47 so we're talking about a long time).

A better example to ask me would be Mark Buehrle. My favorite player right now for so many reasons. So, if this situation happened years from with him
I admit I would question them "how could you ignore what this man did for all those years? Don't you remember the World Series in 05 when he saved started game 2 and saved game 3? This was the guy who was willing to pitch the 10th inning in the ALCS. Are you friggin' nuts?" That would cover it.

But, again, I am just having a hard time with the true fan thing. Just a bone of contention with me. I hate that phrase, it's overused as you said, and way out of line.

Again, just my opinion:D:

Trust me, if BurlyMon signs with St Louis in the future, there will be people who will say they will boo him when he finally faces the Sox...:rolleyes:

ondafarm
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I respect good play and even great effort among the competition. If I'm at USCF and the opposing shortstop makes a great play to retire Pods, then I'll say it. I may even applaud politely the man as he comes off the field. My sisters' season tickets are close enough to the opposing dugout that I can be heard. And I do have players on other teams I like and ones I hate regardless of their team.

None of this means I don't root for the White Sox though and cheer when any of our players does something to help our team win. I make it a point to cheer when one of our guys does one of the little things that help the team win.

Frank Thomas, whatever the uniform, will always be a favorite of mine. I did meet him in person and he is a class act. He has a legitimate career beef with the umpires and I think he's been missquoted or out-contexted more times in the press than anyone I can think of. He was/is a pleasure to watch perform, is a solid HOF player a class act and defintely will be applauded as long as he is playing by me.

About the only class associated with baseball that I perpetually hate is sportswriters. Even when they say nice things about the Sox, they are still bone heads.

Layla
03-02-2006, 12:05 PM
If and when the time comes, please remind me of this thread.:smile:

And if I use the term true fan at the time, I would expect a two week vacation - which time I would use eating alot of crow.

White Sox Randy
03-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I'll cheer him. Nothing's changed. I never thought the guy was bright or even a good teammate or employee.

He WAS the greatest White Sox player I have ever seen. That's why I'll cheer him.

He is a just a boob - always was. GO FRANK.

NSSoxFan
03-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I'll cheer him. Nothing's changed. I never thought the guy was bright or even a good teammate or employee.

Do yourself a favor and never get into a position where you are in charge of hiring people.