PDA

View Full Version : "Historic" Wrigley Bleachers Now Sponsored?

SOecks
02-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I had the radio on earlier and heard some rumblings by a guy saying something about the bleachers at Wrigley now being named the Budweiser Bleachers. Any truth to this? If so, I love it. Historic Wrigley Field is becoming less historic every day.

Hangar18
02-27-2006, 05:15 PM
I had the radio on earlier and heard some rumblings by a guy saying something about the bleachers at Wrigley now being named the Budweiser Bleachers. Any truth to this? If so, I love it. Historic Wrigley Field is becoming less historic every day.

EXCELLENT!! The Tribune Entertainment Corporation unwittingly gives SOX fans even More Ammo to make fun of them. Everyone now knows that those bleachers are no longer "historic" in that they tore down completely the original bleachers and replaced them with brand new ones. :cool:
Quick to Sell out arent they?

TheDarkGundam
02-27-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't want to sound "cubsessed" but the other day I got into an argument with a Cub fan I know about how Wrigley isn't historic anymore because of all the reconstruction.
He freaked out, because he knew, deep down, I was right. It was hilarious.

TornLabrum
02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't want to sound "cubsessed" but the other day I got into an argument with a Cub fan I know about how Wrigley isn't historic anymore because of all the reconstruction.
He freaked out, because he knew, deep down, I was right. It was hilarious.

Come on now. You know that as long as there is falling concrete, Wrigley Field is historic.

SOecks
02-27-2006, 05:22 PM
EXCELLENT!! The Tribune Entertainment Corporation unwittingly gives SOX fans even More Ammo to make fun of them. Everyone now knows that those bleachers are no longer "historic" in that they tore down completely the original bleachers and replaced them with brand new ones. :cool:
Quick to Sell out arent they?

They sure are. You know that the next thing we'll see going up on the north side will be a Jumbotron and the poor, loyal Cub fans will again be conned into lapping that up as well. You know they gladly will and then defend the jumbotron as the best thing since sliced bread.

dcb56
02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
They sure are. You know that the next thing we'll see going up on the north side will be a Jumbotron and the poor, loyal Cub fans will again be conned into lapping that up as well. You know they gladly will and then defend the jumbotron as the best thing since sliced bread.

Not only will they claim it's the greatest, they'll also say their team came up with the idea first, just like they do with such novelties as ivy, green seats, and brick walls, and that it's the lousy, dirty Sox who are copying them.

TDog
02-27-2006, 05:38 PM
The way beer is thrown around that park, you should have to be 21 to get into a Cubs game.

Layla
02-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I heard this on the radio.

It's the "Bud Light" Bleachers section.

dcb56
02-27-2006, 05:46 PM
I heard this on the radio.

It's the "Bud Light" Bleachers section.

Does this now make the jokers who sit out there Bleacher Buds?:redneck

SOXPHILE
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Who was talking about this ? Was it on 'SCR or ESPN ?

SOecks
02-27-2006, 06:36 PM
I had The Score on for a lot of the afternoon so I think it was on Murph's trainwreck of a show. A listener called in to tell Murph he got his tickets or something and that it said they were for the Bud Bleachers.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Bud bleachers? Mark this down as just one more reason why Anheuser Busch is only #2 in Chicago.

The marketing geniuses over at Pabst who decorate their Old Style cans with Urinal ivy must have gotten new jobs in St. Louis.

slavko
02-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Didn't I read that the new bleachers have a concourse around the outside with little places where you can eat? What a great idea! Those Cubs are always a step ahead.

C-Dawg
02-27-2006, 09:42 PM
You know that the next thing we'll see going up on the north side will be a Jumbotron and the poor, loyal Cub fans will again be conned into lapping that up as well. You know they gladly will and then defend the jumbotron as the best thing since sliced bread.

"Aw, come on, EVERYONE knows the Cubs invented the jumbotron!"

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2006, 01:05 AM
All they have to do is "age" the new bleachers by spraying them down with urine and the history will be restored. No big deal.

NSSoxFan
02-28-2006, 01:23 AM
All they have to do is "age" the new bleachers by spraying them down with urine and the history will be restored. No big deal.

How long do you think it will take? Two, three games?

Steelrod
02-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Any truth to the rumor that Gucci has bought naming rights for the suites?

skottyj242
02-28-2006, 12:00 PM

My boss takes me to a couple of games each year and whenever there is a close play I always say something along the lines of "holy cow that was a close play, let's check out the replay," then I look toward center field. He gets mad.

itsnotrequired
02-28-2006, 12:04 PM
My boss takes me to a couple of games each year and whenever there is a close play I always say something along the lines of "holy cow that was a close play, let's check out the replay," then I look toward center field. He gets mad.

You could always look to the 6" TVs they have peppered throughout the lower level.:redneck

miker
02-28-2006, 12:10 PM
"Aw, come on, EVERYONE knows the Cubs invented the jumbotron!"
Yes, but it is a historic hand-operated Jumbotron...

Sox83Kid
02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Yes, but it is a historic hand-operated Jumbotron...

Awww, beat me to it! :tongue:

DaleJRFan
02-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Come on now. You know that as long as there is falling concrete, Wrigley Field is historic.

Don't give them any ideas, Hal. They might just rig the place to keep that concrete falling... to secure the "Historic" label... :redneck

Wsoxmike59
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
this joke is brought to you by the makers of beer.

After a Beer Festival in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

Corona's president sits down and says, "Seņor, I would like the world's best beer, a Corona." The bartender takes a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

Then Budweiser's president says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him one.

Coors' president says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, the only one made with Rocky Mountain spring water, give me a Coors." He gets it.
The guy from Guinness sits down and says, "Give me a Coke." The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask, "Why aren't you drinking a Guinness?" and the Guinness president replies, "Well, if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither will I."

bigfoot
03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Gucci has bought naming rights for the suites?

Ty-D-Bol

Layla
03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Didn't I read that the new bleachers have a concourse around the outside with little places where you can eat? What a great idea! Those Cubs are always a step ahead.

I was listening to the Score a couple of weeks ago. On it was the (I think) marketing guy from the Cubs.

He was talking about the restaurants around the park and how (I swear this is true) people could use their cellphones at the park to make reservations at the restaurants.

And they wonder how they get this cellphone reputation?

itsnotrequired
03-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I was listening to the Score a couple of weeks ago. On it was the (I think) marketing guy from the Cubs.

He was talking about the restaurants around the park and how (I swear this is true) people could use their cellphones at the park to make reservations at the restaurants.

And they wonder how they get this cellphone reputation?

The key is to call in a reservation in the most obnoxious manner possible. You know, waving at the camera and what not. Who knows, maybe the restaurant will see you on TV and offer you a window seat so you can talk on your phone and wave to people as they pass on the sidewalk? This is how I eat all my meals.

:rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
The Cubs are better than the lowly Sox because:

* The Cubs don't sell alchohol.
* The Cubs don't have names on their uniforms.
* The Cubs don't play home night games.
* No advertisements in Wrigley.
* The Cubs don't have any corporate naming.

So Grobber and other Cubs fans why exactly do you say the Cubs are better now?

Tekijawa
03-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Per trib... It's Official!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-060330cubsbleachers,1,3816093.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

dickallen15
03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
The Cubs announced today that the bleachers would now be named the Bud Light Bleachers. LMAO.

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 02:45 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060330cubsbleachers,1,2856293.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Here's the article.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

SouthSide_HitMen
03-30-2006, 02:46 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-060330cubsbleachers,1,3816093.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Teki - it has been official for weeks. My Mets vs. Cubs tickets have this advertisement:

"Welcome to the BUD LIGHT Bleachers" printed on them. I would have preferred Michelob Bleachers but didn't have a say in the manner.

:gulp: This Bud's for you, and you and you and you!

SOecks
03-30-2006, 02:49 PM

Aaaahahaha. The brainwashing continues... But won't Old Style be upset?

Tekijawa
03-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Aaaahahaha. The brainwashing continues... But won't Old Style be upset? I think Old Style made out big time with this! I know that Bud Light will now officialy be called Loser Juice in my house now...

Hitmen77
03-30-2006, 03:01 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060330cubsbleachers,1,2856293.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Here's the article.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

:kneeslap: :kneeslap: :kneeslap:
Cub fans should be embarassed by this - except they won't be because they have no shame. Amazing how the Sox seem to be doing everything right and the Cubs seem to be doing everything wrong.

So, when is the Trib going to run articles criticizing the Cubs for this corporate naming rights deal?

Hitmen77
03-30-2006, 03:07 PM

Don't forget that the Cubs are better because all of their games are on free TV and none are on cable.

SOecks
03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Don't forget that the Cubs are better because all of their games are on free TV and none are on cable.

But the no ads at Wrigley is huge too. I'm sure I was just seeing things last year when seeing someone at bat with a square rotating ad sign on the "historic but newly rennovated" brick backstop. Those were historic ads though so they don't count.

SOXPHILE
03-30-2006, 03:22 PM

They're also better because of:

-The winning tradition they have
-"Historic" Wrigley Field, with all the World Series Championships won there
-They started the tradition of singing "Take Me Out To the Ballgame"
-Fun, family friendly atmosphere at the ballpark, with well behaved and knowledgeable fans.

maurice
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
In its role as an extention of the propaganda arm of the Cubs, the Trib's website (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060330cubsbleachers,1,2856293.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) essentially reprinted the press release (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060330&content_id=1374389&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc) issued by the Cubs' marketing department, including the following vomit-inducing quotes from the Vice President of Global Media and Sports Marketing and the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Broadcasting:
The Chicago Cubs are one of the most storied teams in baseball, with a tremendously loyal fan base and one of the greatest venues in all of sports. We're excited to offer this new feature - the Bud Light Bleachers - to Cubs fans.
The bleachers at Wrigley Field represent the ultimate fan experience in Major League Baseball. We are proud to have the prestigious Bud Light brand join us in this partnership as we enhance our fans' experience.

Apparently, their goal is to re-define the words "storied," "greatest," "feature," "ultimate," "prestigious," and "enhance" out of existence.

DumpJerry
03-30-2006, 03:35 PM
We are proud to have the prestigious Bud Light brand join us in this partnership as we enhance our fans' experience
Something tells me that "the prestigious Bud Light brand" has been enhancing Cub fans' experience for many years already................:cool:

thepaulbowski
03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Something tells me that "the prestigious Bud Light brand" has been enhancing Cub fans' experience for many years already................:cool:

Yeah, by making sure you don't remember the result. :cool:

Hitmen77
03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
In its role as an extention of the propaganda arm of the Cubs, the Trib's website (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060330cubsbleachers,1,2856293.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) essentially reprinted the press release (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060330&content_id=1374389&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc) issued by the Cubs' marketing department, including the following vomit-inducing quotes from the Vice President of Global Media and Sports Marketing and the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Broadcasting:

The Chicago Cubs are one of the most storied teams in baseball, with a tremendously loyal fan base and one of the greatest venues in all of sports.

Apparently, their goal is to re-define the words "storied," "greatest," "feature," "ultimate," "prestigious," and "enhance" out of existence.

LOL!

I love that old crock that the Cubs are a "storied" franchise. That's one of the great lies that's perpetuated by Cub fans and the Cub loving media.

I'm sorry, but they haven't been a storied franchise since the 1930s. Seriously, what have they done since 1945? Since then they have achieved the best or 2nd best record in the NL only twice. So, what makes them so "storied" - because their scoreboard is manual? GMAB. Maybe they're storied because they had a guy that used steriods and cork to cheat his way past the 60 HR mark. :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
03-30-2006, 04:00 PM
http://images.radcity.net/5149/1132912.jpg (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=212181&postcount=129)
For the same reason the Ballparks at 35th & Shields were'nt called Charles Comiskey Park. You're grasping for straws here Doc! Wrigley is NOT a corporate name---your Ballpark is. Your Owner sold out! DEAL WITH IT.

Grobber, where are you? What do you have to say now that's official, in addition to the Cubs changing the original name, "Weegham" to the same name as the Wrigley corporation, they've now got corporate sponsored bleachers. Will you admit that the Cubune has sold out The Shrine?

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 04:04 PM

what a load of BullJunk. I always found it shocking when sheep-like fans of the Blue Corporation would chastise me, for the SOX having "sold-out" and renamed the park. I cant wait to find me a cub fan now that I hear this ..........

Hokiesox
03-30-2006, 04:06 PM
My favorite line in the article is "we're please to offer this ***NEW*** (my emphasis) feature."

What's so new about it?

cheeses_h_rice
03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
All smack-talking "Wrigley purist" Cub fans today ==> :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2006, 04:09 PM
All smack-talking "Wrigley purist" Cub fans today ==> :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

They'll come up with some bull**** excuse like "Its only the bleachers, not the whole stadium".

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Someone cue Gary Coleman.

Let's all remember one little thing - the Pud Light Bleachers will be empty for the month of October. US Cellular Field, however, will not.

1951Campbell
03-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I think sponsorship by Depends or Alcoholics Anonymous would have been better, myself.

asindc
03-30-2006, 05:24 PM
When I first read the story, I thought, it figures. It is so appropriate, it sounds like one of us made it up to make them look bad. Turns out, as always, they don't need our help doing that.:cool:

maurice
03-30-2006, 05:35 PM
What's so new about it?

Can't you see that the "historic" bleachers are the "new" feature?
They "enhanced" them with the "prestigious" Bud Light name.

Hangar18
03-30-2006, 05:48 PM
My favorite line in the article is "we're please to offer this ***NEW*** (my emphasis) feature."

What's so new about it?

:knue

"We didnt say New, per se. We meant New in the sense that its a new for us to offer more bleacher seats to enhance the experience. And dont believe anything this Hangar18 guy keeps saying, we remodeled our bleachers, and we only added 2 rows of extra seats. We did NOT, I repeat, did NOT bulldoze the entire bleacher grandstand and outside brick wall. If we did that, we would be in trouble with the City of Chicago, because as you know, the stadium is a landmark, and we are not allowed, per City Code, to DESTROY anything. This guy makes us out to be some Mighty Arrogant Corporation with money falling out of our pockets, when really, weve been losing money with our TV deals, the lack of xtra bleacher seats, etc. Were just a mom and pop company trying to do right. We needed to do this to be competitive. We havnt remodeled the bleachers since 1945, and guess how long its been since weve been to the series?"

cheeses_h_rice
03-30-2006, 07:09 PM

"We didnt say New, per se. We meant New in the sense that its a new for us to offer more bleacher seats to enhance the experience. And dont believe anything this Hangar18 guy keeps saying, we remodeled our bleachers, and we only added 2 rows of extra seats. We did NOT, I repeat, did NOT bulldoze the entire bleacher grandstand and outside brick wall. If we did that, we would be in trouble with the City of Chicago, because as you know, the stadium is a landmark, and we are not allowed, per City Code, to DESTROY anything. This guy makes us out to be some Mighty Arrogant Corporation with money falling out of our pockets, when really, weve been losing money with our TV deals, the lack of xtra bleacher seats, etc. Were just a mom and pop company trying to do right. We needed to do this to be competitive. We havnt remodeled the bleachers since 1945, and guess how long its been since weve been to the series?"

Sort of off-topic, but related to this, I drove down Clark Street last week and glanced over at the still-unfinished bleachers, and to me they look like they really protrude out over the sidewalk along Waveland. It was a pretty drastic change from the way it used to be.

Beer Can Chicken
03-30-2006, 10:24 PM
The greatest irony of all, of course, is that Bud Light is a Busch product. The Cubs essentially named the bleachers after a product that has naming rights of their biggest rival's stadium, the St Louis Cardinal's Busch Stadium.

This is on par with the White Sox naming the Club level, the Jacob's Field club level.

Great PR!

irish rover
03-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Bleachers new name. Hmm seemed to remember all the uproar over US Cellular

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060330&content_id=1374389&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

skottyj242
03-31-2006, 02:17 PM
To be honest I don't think this is a big deal, it's no worse that The Pontiac Fundamentals Area or the Miller Light Fan Deck, or Miller Lights Best Seat in the House.

DumpJerry
03-31-2006, 02:24 PM
To be honest I don't think this is a big deal, it's no worse that The Pontiac Fundamentals Area or the Miller Light Fan Deck, or Miller Lights Best Seat in the House.
Skotty, it is worse! This is the Shrine we're talking about! It is more sacred than ancient Indian burial grounds. This is the place that has no, I repeat NO advertisement inside the hallowed walls. Remember that stupid cartoon that was all over the Internet two years ago making fun of us while praising the Blues? It showed Comiskey with a ton of billboards on it while The Urinal was seemingly in the Garden of Eden devoid of any commercial message which might distract the astute and attention baseball connoisseur from analyzing the play on the field......

maurice
03-31-2006, 05:34 PM
In its role as an extention of the propaganda arm of the Cubs, the Trib's website (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060330cubsbleachers,1,2856293.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) essentially reprinted the press release (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060330&content_id=1374389&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc) issued by the Cubs' marketing department....

Contrast the Trib's "coverage" with the relevant article in today's Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bud31.html):
The rush to slap a brand name on just about every piece of highly visible and revered property in America continued apace Thursday....

At this time, [Cubs' Sr. V.P.] McDonough said he knows of no plans to sell off naming rights to any other part of Wrigley Field, including the entire park itself, but he conceded there is ongoing pressure within the Cubs organization to maximize revenue.

We also learn for the first time that the Cubs were searching for corporate sponsors as early as last fall and sold out the "historic" bleachers for "less than $1 million a year."

Another (http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg31.html) related Sun-Times article states:
What a bummer: Bleachers suffer as Cubs sell out....

The Cubs announced Thursday that they had sold the name of the bleachers at Wrigley Field, which officially will be known forever as the Bud Light Bleachers, until a higher bidder comes along.....[T]here was no news conference. [Just] a seven-sentence statement on the bottom of the team's Web site....

The Cubs suits see the team as a business operation while the fans see it as a matter of heart....Oh, the Cubs know that the stadium sells, or why else would all these people show up for years of losing? I mean, you don't actually have to buy a ticket to wait till next year. So when the Cubs can't sell a winner, can't build one, they sell the quaint park. They package the charm and sell it off to Bud Light. But when you do that, the charm disappears, because if it's real, it has to be there naturally. So this might really be an improvement for the expense-report fans, and at the same time the death of the real fans. Which one is more desirable? Whichever pays more....

It has changed the feel of the bleachers entirely. They used to be the cheap seats where neighborhood people would gather, and be a little kooky. Now, the team fights with the neighborhood, scalps its own tickets and expands the bleachers into a huge, bloated frat party with a $40 cover charge....[S]elling the bleachers is just about today's business, not about natural change. It's about milking people's hearts for every last penny....

Needless to say, the Trib continues to lay low and tow the party line. I'm sure this disparity in coverage has nothing to do with the Trib's ownership interest in the team, stadium, and surrounding businesses.

DrCrawdad
03-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Contrast the Trib's "coverage" with the relevant article in today's Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bud31.html):

We also learn for the first time that the Cubs were searching for corporate sponsors as early as last fall and sold out the "historic" bleachers for "less than $1 million a year."

I'm sure this disparity in coverage has nothing to do with the Trib's ownership interest in the team, stadium, and surrounding businesses.

Very, very interesting comparison. Where is that Cubune omBuds(Lght)man now?

Anyone remember what the Cubune has said in the past about Comiskey becoming US Cellular?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Sort of off-topic, but related to this, I drove down Clark Street last week and glanced over at the still-unfinished bleachers, and to me they look like they really protrude out over the sidewalk along Waveland. It was a pretty drastic change from the way it used to be.

The bleachers look like they protrude over the sidewalk because they ACTUALLY DO protrude over the sidewalk. I also read where the Cubune plans to plant ivy underneath the bleachers along the entire length of the sidewalk outside the ballpark.

Okay, so picture this... it's a night game... you now have a long wall covered with ivy... and it's dark and secluded because there is a low ceiling of bleachers overhead. I'm shocked the Cubune didn't claim they expanded the public restrooms at the Urinal by 50 percent!

"Damn, why didn't I think of that... STOP THE PRESSES!!!!"

hsnterprize
04-01-2006, 09:39 AM
For a while, I was working with a group of salespeople for Budweiser, and they all told me (from a business point of view) that this is a great deal. What's even more odd is that people were quick to say this was not worse than other stadia naming rights situations. I told them that many of the Cubs fans (in which many of those in the office were Cub fans) often acted like they were "above the reproach" of such items like stadium naming rights, building modern amenities, and other things other ballparks like the Cell use to bring in fans. Now, their ballpark is no better in that regard than other places.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but isn't it funny that so many people are quick to defend this deal, saying the Cubs have to "keep up with the Jonses" in order to compete? Wait a minute...this team is already owned by a multi-billion dollar media company, and they have money coming in up the wazoo. I agree to a certain extent that is isn't any worse than other ballparks who sell their naming rights to make more money. But...considering the "holier than thou" attitude many Cubs fans have projected by laughing at teams like ours for our ballpark's name, this is a prime chance to throw the "egg" (or "beer bottle" in this case) back in their faces.

Oh, by the way...one of the sales people at this Budweiser office I worked in says this is a 3-year deal.

Hangar18
04-01-2006, 09:56 AM
The bleachers look like they protrude over the sidewalk because they ACTUALLY DO protrude over the sidewalk. I also read where the Cubune plans to plant ivy underneath the bleachers along the entire length of the sidewalk outside the ballpark.

Okay, so picture this... it's a night game... you now have a long wall covered with ivy... and it's dark and secluded because there is a low ceiling of bleachers overhead. I'm shocked the Cubune didn't claim they expanded the public restrooms at the Urinal by 50 percent!

thats right. The new bleachers (they are new folks, not "expanded") protrude over the city-right-of-way) land-grabbed public property.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-01-2006, 10:10 AM
thats right. The new bleachers (they are new folks, not "expanded") protrude over the city-right-of-way) land-grabbed public property.
"Yeah Hangar, but you have to admit it's a great place to take a whiz after another thrilling Cubs defeat. Peeing into the ivy along the secluded sidewalk beside Sheffield Avenue... it doesn't get any better than this!

:cool:

TornLabrum
04-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Don't you mean "watering the new ivy"?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Don't you mean "watering the new ivy"?
Urine is loaded with organic nitrogen, (well, duh) and would normally help a green plant like ivy thrive. But too much will kill the plant and knowing what sloven pigs Flubs fans are, the Cubune's new ivy hasn't got a ****ing chance in hell for survival... especially with all the night games the Cubune keeps shoving down the neighborhood's throats.

The Cubune proves our point. Their ballpark is truly the ULTIMATE URINAL!!!

:roflmao:

"Yeah, but think how much drier all those garage door handles along the Wrigleyville alleyways will be. You WSIers make me laugh."

ewokpelts
04-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Henry...the City Landmark deal only includes the marquee, scoreboard, and INSIDE wall of the bleachers(the bricks and ivy concept). Everything else is fair game.
And the cubs are paying for park space in lakeview, and paying the city for the land they "grabbed".
Gene

P.s. they need the parking garage that's slated for 2007.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2006, 02:13 PM
How long until a section of the outside ivy is killed or trashed and it's blamed on a Sox fan?

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
04-01-2006, 03:17 PM
How long until a section of the outside ivy is killed or trashed and it's blamed on a Sox fan?

Furthermore, how long before the ivy is trashed and a Cubune employee at the Cubune Baseball Division accuses Sox Fans of being responsible, and the Cubune employees at the Cubune Newspaper Division repeat the unsubstantiated allegation... not that they're biased or anything. Aint that right, Rick?

:morrisey
"When it comes to playing the victim, Pontius Pilate has nothing on me!"

SoxFan78
04-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I saw the finished bleachers on Fox Thing in the Morning and they showed the new overhang where Trixies can hang out. The best thing about them? They have benches that face the street and televisions out there. So now you dont even have to sit in the bleachers to ignore the cubs!

Hangar18
04-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Henry...the City Landmark deal only includes the marquee, scoreboard, and INSIDE wall of the bleachers(the bricks and ivy concept). Everything else is fair game.
And the cubs are paying for park space in lakeview, and paying the city for the land they "grabbed".
Gene

P.s. they need the parking garage that's slated for 2007.

The cubs have been wanting to expand for years, this isnt the first time they tried and were successful. The Cubs were not allowed to alter the park ............. they pulled a fast one. Very Fast one

TommyJohn
04-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Lip

Oh, come on. They would never do that.

Hangar18
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
......... and paying the city for the land they "grabbed".
Gene

Yes, true. They are now paying for it (having been "occupiers" of it for the last couple of decades. they thought they were slick and started planning on expansion when they were informed they were not the legal owners. Cubs got mad and said since they were there the whole time, they should be entitled to it, finders-keepers, City and Cubs fought, City made Cubs pay.
Once an arrogant organization, always an arrogant organization

russ99
04-07-2006, 10:19 AM
The "cool new bleachers" coverage today is sickening. It's even worse since I have to wait until tonight for the Sox to wipe the disgust of that loss on Wednesday off my face.

What brainac at the Cubune decided to put windows into the hitters background? When the Sox just painted theirs, it messed up the hitters for at least a year.

That and the new bleacher height affecting wind currents will seriously affect Cubs hitting. (not complaining) :D:

Plus, they really need a kids-only rule for the "knothole". I can totally forsee a bunch of drunken wrigley fratboys completely hogging the free view, with fights breaking out.

TommyJohn
04-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Furthermore, how long before the ivy is trashed and a Cubune employee at the Cubune Baseball Division accuses Sox Fans of being responsible, and the Cubune employees at the Cubune Newspaper Division repeat the unsubstantiated allegation... not that they're biased or anything. Aint that right, Rick?

:morrisey

Sigh. You paranoid Sox fans are getting on my nerves. OK, so I wrote an
article repeating the allegation, offering no proof at all. And maybe I also
made suggestions of things Cub fans could do at your crappy ballpark to
get back, again offering no proof. Does that mean I'm biased? Oh. You
people are so ignorant.

P.S. It's a Cub town, you know.

Railsplitter
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
By the time most of you read this, the Cubs game will be underway, with sponsered bleachers, and the world will still be going.

Chip Z'nuff
04-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Read at www.theheckler.com
http://www.theheckler.com/public/spec/upload/TOP20LIST.685.jpg

miker
04-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Read at www.theheckler.com (http://www.theheckler.com)
http://www.theheckler.com/public/spec/upload/TOP20LIST.685.jpg
I'm not sure Baseball would be that high on that list.

And shouldn't "Because everyone else is buying them." be in the top 3?

maurice
04-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Chicagoist (http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2006/04/07/opening_day_for_the_bud_light_bleachers.php#commen ts) on the new / historic bleachers and Blair Kamin's Trib-nut-hugging review:
Chicagoist knows Cubs fans don't actually go to Wrigley Field to watch baseball. It's about drinking beer and checking out Trixie and Chad. It's about soaking up the rays and admiring the "friendly confines." With game attendance more about the stadium experience than the team on the field, everybody is focusing on the debut of the revamped Wrigley Field as the Cubs open their home schedule today. The Trib's architecture critic, Blair Kamin, takes a break from analyzing the glistening, starchitect towers to weigh in on Wrigley Field's updates. "The new bleachers are a model of elegant evolution [blah blah blah]." Of course, Kamin's paycheck comes from the owners of Wrigley Field...

The Sun-Times also weighs in on the bleacher expansion, but focuses more on the adverse affects to tghe views of the surrounding buildings....8 speaker poles that weren't in the plans but somehow sprouted up during construction have caused some rooftop owners to express displeasure. Also, according to the Sun-Times article, the Cubs have begun referring to the park and it's surroundings as the Wrigley Field Campus. Guess it's fitting, given that the bleacher scene typically resembles a fraternity-sorority mixer....